Have You Upsized Your TV Recently?

So this an aftermarket stand that will fit / is designed for specific brand/models? ie, an aftermarket pedestal stand for a TCL Series4 50"?

Amazon, I assume ....

Thanks!

The Best Buy tech mentioned it when I complained that we couldn't upgrade (go bigger!) the master bedroom TV because of the need for a specific stand. He stated you can either go Amazon or Best Buy sells them. Around $150. They fit all TVs. The Samsung TVs we just got also have the 'middle' stand rather than the end ones so you might not need one depending on the brand TV you buy.

Update: I returned the LG C2 because it did not have ASTC 3.0 tuner, and I wanted a little future proofing, although we only have one NexGen channel in our area currently. Replaced it with Samsung 65S95B, and added Total Care. It was installed today by the Geek Squad who did a very good job in handling this very thin screened set and adjusting the settings. The TV and my Apple TV4K worked just fine wirelessly so I may not need to convert my existing cable to ethernet. As to the picture, I am totally blown away at the crystal clarity and brightness. It is so far ahead of my downstairs set which is about 7 years old and the sound is also quite good and makes me think I may not need to add a soundbar/AVR& speakers, unless I find myself yearning for surround sound and more bass. My upstairs man cave also does not receive any direct sunlight so it's the perfect room for an OLED. I am really looking forward to watching football tomorrow.

Update: I returned the LG C2 because it did not have ASTC 3.0 tuner, and I wanted a little future proofing, although we only have one NexGen channel in our area currently. Replaced it with Samsung 65S95B, and added Total Care. It was installed today by the Geek Squad who did a very good job in handling this very thin screened set and adjusting the settings. The TV and my Apple TV4K worked just fine wirelessly so I may not need to convert my existing cable to ethernet. As to the picture, I am totally blown away at the crystal clarity and brightness. It is so far ahead of my downstairs set which is about 7 years old and the sound is also quite good and makes me think I may not need to add a soundbar/AVR& speakers, unless I find myself yearning for surround sound and more bass. My upstairs man cave also does not receive any direct sunlight so it's the perfect room for an OLED. I am really looking forward to watching football tomorrow.

Love to hear this. I'm still thinking LG C2 because the Samsung S95B does not get bigger than 65". You have a point about the 3.0 Nextgen tuner but I'm banking on an attachable solution for that in the future. (The other thing is I don't want to wait another year to get an OLED.)

Love to hear this. I'm still thinking LG C2 because the Samsung S95B does not get bigger than 65". You have a point about the 3.0 Nextgen tuner but I'm banking on an attachable solution for that in the future. (The other thing is I don't want to wait another year to get an OLED.)

I think there are attachable tuners. If you go for the G2, that model does have the 3.0 tuner. And yes, you do not want to wait, believe me it will knock your socks off.

So you don't mind the lack of DolbyVision in all Samsung TVs?

So you don't mind the lack of DolbyVision in all Samsung TVs?

HDR 10+ is open source, so no licensing fees and that is why Samsung selected it. It comes down to content, and whether an average person can see a substantial difference, doubt it would matter to me. Further, most current TVs cannot produce 10K nits that can be achieved with DV. That said, I am not sure LG currently does HDR 10+, but believe it does DV and HDR 10. Of course Samsung could come out with a firmware update in the future if it felt its marketshare is being negatively effected. The main reason I dropped the LG C2 was its lack of ASTC 3.0 tuner. It is offered on the G2, but that also a more expensive model. I have no regrets.

While we are purely streaming not a believer in Smart TV’s. Much better to use a streaming stick which is easily replaced if it goes bad or you want to try something else

https://www.makeuseof.com/reasons-to-not-buy-smart-tv/

I read the article. It gives you NO Information about Non-smart TVs and barely acknowledges that you basically Cannot buy one.
Yes, if you have an older TV that isn’t smart you can definitely upgrade it for streaming by adding a device like a Roku stick or fire stick or Apple TV.
I actually have smart TVs with a Roku stick in order to use the Xfinity Stream app which allows me full cable use of Comcast without renting a box from them for 3 of my TVs. Saves me hundreds of dollars a year in cable box rental fees!

I used settings obtained from AVS forums S95 settings thread and the Samsung S95B TV dialed in and it is knocking my socks off. It's hard to believe how good the picture quality and colors are. Even the sound from the TV is very good. Now thinking whether to go soundbar system or an AVR 5.1 setup to complement the awesome picture.

I used settings obtained from AVS forums S95 settings thread and the Samsung S95B TV dialed in and it is knocking my socks off. It's hard to believe how good the picture quality and colors are. Even the sound from the TV is very good. Now thinking whether to go soundbar system or an AVR 5.1 setup to complement the awesome picture.

I put a 7.2.4 system in for the home theatre set up and am using a Samsung soundbar + 2 rear satellites + Samsung TV for the living room set up. They are both good, but the surround setup is fantastic for movies and just sounds dramatically better overall. The soundbar theoretically does atmos using aimed speakers to bounce the sound, but the room has a vaulted ceiling and the walls aren't well situated for it to bounce sound so it doesn't deliver anywhere near the immersion. Both are MUCH better sound than just the TV. In general, my takeaway has been that sound investments really paid off in perceived quality, when I can play the speakers loud enough for it to matter. They have a huge experiential impact and I'm glad for both purchases. For late night viewing, I could have skipped them all and just used the TV speakers. :p

There is no way that basic TV speakers can come close to the sound of a pair of tower speakers (my preference) or a good soundbar. TV speakers are far too small and lack the power to reproduce accurate bass response.

There is no way that basic TV speakers can come close to the sound of a pair of tower speakers (my preference) or a good soundbar. TV speakers are far too small and lack the power to reproduce accurate bass response.

Of course not, that comment is with respect to sound from most TVs built in speakers.

Just upsized last week!

1. Sit about 13ft away.

2. Old TV was 4K UHD basic model Sceptre from walmart 65".

3. New TV is 85" Sony X91J.

4. No trouble adjusting - can now read most of the small type at the bottom of commercials! Also seems like shows show characters texting and we could never read what was bring typed or received!

5. Room is 15 ft wide and I was getting ready to build bookshelves so it made sense to determine the tv size.

Was highly considering the Hisense 85" U7H that was just coming out and was going to wait ubtil the price went down as Amazon started selling them for just over $1900 but then raised the price to over $2100.

Found the Sony on sale $1800 which was $1,000 less than it had been previously so I decided to go for it. We are not videophiles so it looks fantastic to both of us.

Pic shows relationship of 65" on wall to new set. Green tape shows difference when mounted, Wanted to make sure I had a minimum of 4' on each side for bookcase shelves.

Almost finished constructing entertainment center around new TV so I thought I would include the after picture (before pic - post #59). PXL_20221105_153912121.MP.jpg

Still have 55" TCL Roku tv and sitting about 8 feet from closest point. TV is tilted away from me in a corner due to where sliding glass door is at maybe a 45degree angle. This allows both couch and loveseat that are in an L setting to view the tv well. Maybe 5 years old so not ultra-high definition. Bought in a hurry as old tv gave out maybe a day or two before super bowl.

About only negative is it supports voice control with my old Roku box but not with the supplied controller. It also supports remote earphone, jack with the cell phone app. It does sound via some light cable and I doubt if it supports blue tooth.

About only negative is it supports voice control with my old Roku box but not with the supplied controller. It also supports remote earphone, jack with the cell phone app. It does sound via some light cable and I doubt if it supports blue tooth.

Could you elaborate on this? Sounds like the remote that came with your Roku box has a microphone and voice control but the remote that came with your Roku TV does not have a microphone. Is that correct? Because I think you can pair the remote from your Roku box to your Roku TV.

I haven’t upgraded my TV. Yet. But I did rework things in the entertainment center a bit. I’m not a sound aficionado. If I can hear it, it’s probably fine. I was set up with a Sony receiver, 2 left and right Bose speakers, and a center channel Bose speaker. And of course, the Samsung 1080p TV and sound. I use an Apple TV for streaming services when I’m signed up for one. I usually subscribe to something during the winter months. But, the receiver was probably 15 years old. And the tv sound and Apple TV sound would not seamlessly switch back and forth thru the receiver. I had to turn it off and on to get it to work. I began to view my old setup as too old and annoying to work with. I also had an original Apple HomePod sitting there but I never integrated it to the tv system.

So, I decided to gut out the Bose speakers and receiver. I moved my second Original HomePod into the room and set up a stereo pair with them. I also upgraded to a new Apple TV 4K, which provides better integration with the Home Pods and also provides ARC support for my TV. I’m quite happy with the HomePods as a stereo pair. More than adequate sound for me.

So, my entertainment center isn’t as crowded. The HomePods act as the speaker for both my streaming via the Apple TV and for when I’m just watching my over the air TV. It switches back and forth very nicely. There is about a 5 second delay for the TV sound to initially go thru ARC to the speakers, but once going, it works great.

Now, I just have to decide when to upgrade the TV to a 4K model. I’m sure it won’t be long.

Walmart has some Black Friday Deals up now.

LG 65" Class UP7050 Series LED 4K UHD Smart webOS TV - 65UP7050PUJ $398.00

Hisense 75" Class 4K UHD LCD Roku Smart TV HDR R6 Series 75R6030G $448.00

There have been two $100 price reductions since I purchased the 65S95B and Best Buy credited me back without a hassle both times. The current $1799 is their black friday price so that may be it for a while. I think my price protection continues thru mid December. Also, they now have a free item with the TV purchase, a wireless MS X-box controller, which they also gave to me, a $59 value. I am not sure if I will use it, but maybe. Right now I am researching front stage speakers LRC, including SVS, Paradigm, Focal, Emotive and Ascend Acoustics. Some already have specials going on and there might be some other black friday deals to come in the next few weeks. I find it more difficult picking speakers vs TVs.

There have been two $100 price reductions since I purchased the 65S95B and Best Buy credited me back without a hassle both times. The current $1799 is their black friday price so that may be it for a while. I think my price protection continues thru mid December. Also, they now have a free item with the TV purchase, a wireless MS X-box controller, which they also gave to me, a $59 value. I am not sure if I will use it, but maybe. Right now I am researching front stage speakers LRC, including SVS, Paradigm, Focal, Emotive and Ascend Acoustics. Some already have specials going on and there might be some other black friday deals to come in the next few weeks. I find it more difficult picking speakers vs TVs.

Good to hear they are honoring their price policy. The X-box controller is a nice bonus.

Yes, it is difficult to pick speakers. First decision is bookshelf speakers, bookshelf speakers mounted on stands, or towers. In my particular instance it got down to bookshelfs on stands or towers as I had the room to fit them. When I considered the price of getting stands and the fact the towers physically have more speakers, and therefore can move more air, I went with towers.

Sometimes the L/R speakers are great but the center speaker is sub-par. Or the center speaker is just fine but physically it's too big.

You've got some nice brands there. I took a hard look at Emotiva Airmotiv T1+, Ascend Acoustics CMT-340. Also Infinity Reference 263. The Ascends were contenders until I found the stands were expensive. The Infinity 263's are really good and frequently on sale but the center speaker was a beast. I almost bought the Emotiva Airmotiv T1+ with C1+ center, but then out of the blue I found Chane A5.5's and bought them. Got the Chane A2.4 for my center. Throw in a 15" Hsu Research subwoofer and I'm a Happy Camper.

Last edited:
Good to hear they are honoring their price policy. The X-box controller is a nice bonus.

Yes, it is difficult to pick speakers. First decision is bookshelf speakers, bookshelf speakers mounted on stands, or towers. In my particular instance it got down to bookshelfs on stands or towers as I had the room to fit them. When I considered the price of getting stands and the fact the towers physically have more speakers, and therefore can move more air, I went with towers.

Sometimes the L/R speakers are great but the center speaker is sub-par. Or the center speaker is just fine but physically it's too big.

You've got some nice brands there. I took a hard look at Emotiva Airmotiv T1+, Ascend Acoustics CMT-340. Also Infinity Reference 263. The Ascends were contenders until I found the stands were expensive. The Infinity 263's are really good and frequently on sale but the center speaker was a beast. I almost bought the Emotiva Airmotiv T1+ with C1+ center, but then out of the blue I found Chane A5.5's and bought them. Got the Chane A2.4 for my center. Throw in a 15" Hsu Research subwoofer and I'm a Happy Camper.

I have not heard of the Chane's but their website looks good. I am leaning toward the 340SE2 which is brand new upgrade over the prior SE. Same with their center. The introductory pricing looks attractive as well and they were highly recommended on the AVS forum. What AVR or amp are you using? I am seeing that Denon has recently reduced special pricing on some of its AVRs. I already have Definitive Tech sub and some bookselves that I could use as satellites if I decide on 5.1, but may stay 3.1.

Back
Top Bottom