Living without a smartphone

I agree with Offgrid . People are addicted to their smartphones. I have some "friends" in their 70s who are so addicted to their smartphone that it is impossible to have an actual face to face conversation with them. I think it is incredible rude to be having dinner with someone who is constantly checking their smartphone. What is so important that it can't wait until after the meal is finished?

Dinner with friends:

Attachments

• nintchdbpict000292248401.jpg
    nintchdbpict000292248401.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 39
I think it is incredible rude to be having dinner with someone who is constantly checking their smartphone. What is so important that it can't wait until after the meal is finished?

Off topic but...

FIW, I don't have dinner with such people nor have much else to do with them now that I am Fire'd and have a choice. :D I would not have dinner with a person who smoked and blew the smoke in my face. Having a cell phone and being on it constantly is like blowing smoke in the other person's face, IMHO.

Back on topic......

I live near a 'big city' and while there are people who are obviously over doing their phone activity, most are not. That is my empirical study. Take it or leave it.

Last edited:
I have internet access in my home. I have never said otherwise.

Looking around it is obvious that people with smartphones are tethered to them.

If you don't have the desire or need for a smartphone that's fine. I just got my first one at 64 and I can assure you I'm not tethered to it. Now if someone was raised with such poor manners that a cellphone takes priority over a real person that's another issue.

I have a BIL and DS who have perfect manners and 6 kids between them. Once we were eating together with 3 of the kids and the little farts were texting each other at the table. All you could see were the top of their heads,I asked my sister, Is this OK with you and she just shrugged.. one of these kids sent me a Thank you note for a HS graduation gift and the card was completely blank, he didn't even sign his name.. I guess he should have just sent me a text...

I don't have or need one. DW's is used as a camera 95%, texting 4% and phone calls 1%(to my flip phone).

I have internet access in my home. I have never said otherwise.

Looking around it is obvious that people with smartphones are tethered to them.

I am amazed when I look at random people or groups of people how many are “on the phone” but it’s a far cry (arrogance?) to assume anyone with a smartphone is tethered to it, esp those of us that predate the technology.

I have a smartphone for the podcasts. I can listen to them while I walk or drive. If not using it for podcasts, 80% of the time, I leave it at home. At home I'll use it to google information like, will my dog die if he ate chocolate? Or how old is Clint Eastwood? Or how many Oscars did Meryl Streep win? Important stuff like that.

I would never ever bring it to dinner or to a friends house. How often is there such an emergency that cannot wait a few hours?

Actually, I will use it to check Amazon prices vs Walmart vs Sams Club when I shop, but not too often. I have very limited data since DH and me pay (for both lines) $39.00 with consumer cellular.

A basic Android smartphone is virtually free. There are numerous options in the $10 to $50 range. Your plan does not have to have data. You can just use/not use the apps and features on Wi-Fi.

We made it up to the late 90s with no such thing as smartphones. So they certainly aren't required. They sure are handy at times though.

Now, buying a $900 flagship phone every 2 years might not be the best move or having a $100 big data plan to go with. We have a 5 phone/unlimited data/calls/texts plan at Cricket Wireless for $125/month. $25/line is in my "reasonable" category. Could it be zero? I'm sure it could.

I don't think that anybody meant to imply that every smartphone owner is tethered to their phone, but some of them absolutely are.

My iPhone 6 died while I was taking a trip in my 30 yr old hobby car. I had to navigate from toll booth to toll booth. I bare remembered the address I was going to (only because I had to manually enter it into the GPS). I was also going to meet some friends for lunch but I didn’t have their numbers memorized. Never felt so helpless in all my life.
I understand that an old phone can be used to dial 911 even if you are not on a service plan.

I had to do the ole manual navigation after my phone died. I somehow remembered the address, went to a gas station looked it up in the map book, wrote down the directions and approx mileage on a paper. Then I was like glancing over at my paper and trying to find street signs and thought geez this is difficult and unsafe. I was totally distracted...vs

TURN RIGHT, TURN LEFT 100'... with an occasional MAKE A U TURN yelling at my in a robotic female command like voice. :D

Sorry, but smartphones are just so darn convenient.

A new Tracfone smartphone with GPS is $50, minutes/texts/data good for a year.

I leave it in the car in case my primary smartphone dies.

A few weeks ago, I was notified by our pro football team that our season tickets will not arrive in the mail but will only be available on the their app. People without smartphones will have to contact their customer service department. You think they would have giving us the courtesy of choosing which method we would like to use.......:confused:

There will be more and more examples where the standard delivery or contact medium will be a smartphone. I see airline tickets/boarding passes heading this way in the not too distant future. Yes they will have an alternative for those without smartphones, but it will likely cost you something or cause more effort on your part.

I'm old enough to remember when writing a check was the standard method of payment for goods and services. Try that with Amazon :cool:

Lots of pluses to having a smart phone.

I love not having to get in a car, drive to the bank, stand in line, etc when the tenant gives me the rent check. I just use the app that takes a picture of both sides of the check, hit submit, and it's instantly deposited. Nice for the planet, also, not having to drive.

Discount AMC movies on tuesday because I have the app. Much rather pay $5 than $14 for a movie... and the close by theater has the comfy reclining seats!

Navigation - with real time traffic rerouting. I *love* the google lady when I have to drive during rush hour.

And hey - how would I play pokemon go without a smart phone... my secret addiction.

But I agree with what someone upstream said - if you're buying flagship phones every 1-2 years you are addicted... My phone is 2+ years old and was sub $200.

Addicted I don't know, it's a value thing again. Some people keep laptops and phones until they puke out some people like to go with the bells and whistles as least a 2 year old is worth something in a trade in. It's a lot like cars I don't say people that buy new cars every 2 or 3 years are addicted to cars.

No smart phone here. It was only 3 1/2 years ago I caved and finally got my first cell phone, a low-end, cheap, pay-per-minute TracFone LG. It has come in handy for a few things although it has been mostly a receptacle for all the junk calls and texts I get which are about 90% of all of its activity. At least I am not burning up most of my minutes on all that junk because I basically reject the calls without listening to their shticks.

I am rarely on the phone, land line or cell phone, so I surely don't need some expensive, high-end device. My desktop PC is where all my computing action is, anyway.

We have smartphones because that is what was available. We only have cell coverage. No internet service. Don't need it. We have it at home. We can get it on our ipads at many restuarants, public areas etc.

I have a smart phone, mostly for the navigation app. Otherwise, I'd have a dumb phone and save the money. I see too many people walking around like zombies with their face stuck in their phone!

I resisted getting a smart phone for years. My mind was changed when I went on an overseas vacation with friends, and they used their phones to navigate the streets of Istanbul and find restaurants on the fly. The ease of navigation in a strange place was incredible. I was sold. If I didn't travel to unfamiliar locations as often as I do, I would probably think twice about getting one. Although the point about using it for Uber and online tickets is a strong one, as those are two features I use frequently.

However, I became addicted to a game on my phone to the point that I finally deleted the app (Candy Crush...don't judge).

Lots of pluses to having a smart phone.

I love not having to get in a car, drive to the bank, stand in line, etc when the tenant gives me the rent check. I just use the app that takes a picture of both sides of the check, hit submit, and it's instantly deposited. Nice for the planet, also, not having to drive.

Discount AMC movies on tuesday because I have the app. Much rather pay $5 than $14 for a movie... and the close by theater has the comfy reclining seats!

Navigation - with real time traffic rerouting. I *love* the google lady when I have to drive during rush hour.

And hey - how would I play pokemon go without a smart phone... my secret addiction.

But I agree with what someone upstream said - if you're buying flagship phones every 1-2 years you are addicted... My phone is 2+ years old and was sub $200.
Plus:
Camera to take pictures that you encounter while on the go
Music to play while traveling
Kindle reader when on public transit or waiting for your doctor's appointment
Having a record of drugs taken in case asked
Being responsive to time-sensitive emails/texts*
Assist in shopping such a price checks, quality comparisons, etc.

* this seems to be the only one that consumes young people

I am sure there are others.

Plus:

Camera to take pictures that you encounter while on the go

Music to play while traveling

Kindle reader when on public transit or waiting for your doctor's appointment

Having a record of drugs taken in case asked

Being responsive to time-sensitive emails/texts*

Assist in shopping such a price checks, quality comparisons, etc.

* this seems to be the only one that consumes young people

+1
Being able to pull up car insurance information if needed.

Ability to send documents to a printer easily.

Ability to check security cameras remotely.

Ability to unlock house or car doors.

Ability to locate car in larger parking lot.

Ability to warm up car by starting it in the winter.

Ability to open garage doors remotely.

Able to find other family member’s misplaced phone.

Apple Pay

Ability to dictate notes.

Easy access to addresses and phone numbers of contacts.

Walking directions along with driving directions.

Easy searching for nearby restaurants, gas stations and stores.

Appointment reminders

Notifications of package deliveries.

Always have a calculator or currency converter available.

I’m sure there is still much more that hasn’t been mentioned.

I really depend on the "supplemental memory" feature, otherwise known as the set-a-reminder feature on the calandar app. Never forget an appointment, bill payment, birthday, filter change...or when to take the garbage to the street.

Just came back from a tour where, as usual, most participants were couples 65-75, and a few in their 80's. A couple of single women in their 50's. The women all had smartphones. Only a few of the men used them. The married men basically had the women doing everything. But that doesn't mean they could have gotten along without the smartphone, just that they didn't need to squint at the little screen.

DW has an iphone 6S+ while I have an Android Nexus 5X. If she has an issue with her phone, I tell her to go to the Apple store. Gets me off the hook!:cool:

Back
Top Bottom