Medical Alert Devices - Any Recommendations?

CoolRich59

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The DW's Dad passed away not long and her Mom now lives alone. She still wants to be on her own, but acknowledges that if she fell or otherwise got hurt, she could be in trouble.

She does not have internet service (and I'm pretty certain she would not be willing to get it); also, she just got her first cellphone and tends not to carry it around with her inside the house.

I've seen the ads for the medical alert devices, but have no idea which are legitimate and which are junk. Does anyone have any recommendations or other input? Thanks in advance.

We faced a similar scenario with my mom. Back in October, we had one of those situations where we were not able to contact her, and feared for the worst. After pleading with her to move in with me or sis and running into a brick wall, we told her that the only way we were going to let her stay on her own was if we installed cameras in her apartment and signed her up for the necessary internet service to support it. So far it has been working out wonderfully. I was concerned that the modem or cameras would need to be reset periodically, however, that has not been the case - they are both rock-solid stable. When I visited in November and February I did reset them just to be safe, but when I visited last week, I didn't even bother. Mom doesn't even remember that they are there. When we haven't heard from her in a week, we pull up the cameras from a desktop or phone and just check in that she's there and moving about.

My mom specifically told us that she would not wear/carry one of the medical alert devices. So again, we made clear her only alternative to moving in with one of us was the cameras.

I had never considered a camera. I don't know how she would feel about it, but it is a good option to consider. Thank you.

Aside from cameras, other things like a modified door lock that can be opened (ie, if emergency personnel need to enter).

Work on her with the WIFI and phone thing - if those are the seen as enablers for her lifeline and independence she might think of them differently. Having a nearby phone after a fall can be priceless.

Work on her with the WIFI and phone thing - if those are the seen as enablers for her lifeline and independence she might think of them differently. Having a nearby phone after a fall can be priceless.
Definitely agree. But, boy is she stubborn. Just like her daughter! :D

My father had Life Alert, both a pendant around his neck and a botton thing attached to his home phone. It came in handy several times in his last few years, he would fall and press the button for help. I even used it to call 911 once when my sister and I found him extremely ill and unable to stand. They stayed on line with us until the ambulance got there, also told us ETA along the way.
It was a way to keep him in his home a bit longer. His risk was always weakness and falls.Luckily, never hit his head.

Back
Top Bottom