New Wireless Printer for printing and scanning

I have an old HP 4315 All in one printer. Probably 15 years old. Not wireless but no more than I print these days....it's good enough. It won't die.

Well my printer connectivity lasted a day. I really think there is a problem getting this HP printer to work with the Nest mesh from an IP aspect. Tried to get the printer to accept a change to manual IP configuration and it does not take. I google about all the problems people are having and nothing works. Ready to boot this thing to the curb.

Reading this thread makes me happy that I consider an old school long USB cable and not having to mess :) with wireless printing or Nest mesh setups a thing of beauty.

+1 for Brother Laser Printer.

I have a Brother MFC-L2700DW black & white laser printer/scanner/fax and it has been bulletproof running on my Orbi mesh network with our 4 MacBooks.

A bonus is the very low cost of toner refills as I use Arthur Imaging refills available on Amazon.

This is the lowest cost solution I have ever experienced for a printer. Of course, it is B&W only, which is fine for me.

I have this exact Brother printer and it's been a workhorse for about five years now. Absolutely no complaints, only praise for this one. I have used generic toner cartridges but since I use it to print 4" X 6" barcode labels I spend the extra for authentic Brother toner cartridges. I run this one hardwired with USB cable.

Richard4444 said:
I had to replace my HP printer, did my research and last year purchased a Brother J995DW.

Besides the Brother MFC-L2700DW, I also have a Brother MFC-J885 color ink jet printer. I presume it's an older version of your J995. It's been fabulous, only complaint is it has a somewhat small capacity paper tray. (This is not a problem on the 2700DW.) If I buy generic ink jet cartridges they are $11.99 for a kit containing black and the three color cartridges. I run this one wirelessly.

Last edited:
Reading this thread makes me happy that I consider an old school long USB cable and not having to mess :) with wireless printing or Nest mesh setups a thing of beauty.

I've got 3 houses with 3 different internet providers, 3 different routers, 3 different wifi laser printers, etc. Until this most recent Mediacom router issue I've never had a bit of problem, network-wise. But it surely is frustrating when it happens. I'm really busy right now with projects so I'll probably live with the workaround until fall or winter, when I have more time.

But overall the wifi has been worth the relatively minimal effort.

I have an Epson Inktank type printer for my main Win 10 desktop that can be connected wirelessly. However, I can't vouch for the reliability of the connection because I choose to connect to my printer with a good old fashioned (long) USB printer cable.

Strangely though, my Linux laptop automatically recognized the printer and can print wirelessly despite me not even doing any set up ... system too smart :popcorn:.
how do you like the epson inktank? economical? good, reliable machine?

how do you like the epson inktank? economical? good, reliable machine?

Overall, I really like the epson inktank. I have a the model ET-4760 which is an all-in-one (print, scan, copy and I think Fax). Some of the features (auto document feeder for scanning, copying, wireless connection) I don't use so really can't say good or bad except what I've read in reviews.

Looking at a printer stat page that I just generated, as of today I've printed out a total of 635 pages. 530 of them were color pages. I say about 50 of them were of photos.

As for economy, the inktank level shows about 3/4 full.

Just so happened today, I printed out some photos and before so needed to do a maintenance nozzle clean which does use up ink. Inherent with inkjets is the nozzles can get clogged if not maintained or printer not used often. I did two nozzle clean runs and did notice the level drop a bit. I learned that I probably could have got away with one clean as seems I do a nozzle clean, then wait a bit and then do a nozzle check and the result may be okay. In other words, do to the nozzle check right after a clean. Probably more detail than needed, but I learned something new.

Very happy with our inexpensive Canon printer. We do not print much. We found it very handy for scanning during covid.

But....it keeps dropping of the wireless network on our W10 desktop. Have had to reinstall several times. Works a treat on our ipads.

I have an HP 4520 Envy inkjet printer connected wirelessly. It has been very good until recently.

Now I cannot seem to print in color, just black and white. It will do color from DW's newer PC but not from my few years old PC. I don't like the idea of flushing out and reinstalling the software. Doing that might introduce a bigger headache. I think HP is challenged with software design. Somehow there is no control to ask for color that works for an individual print. The easy web suggested solutions do not work for me. Ugh.

So my current workaround is to print from DW's PC when I need color which is a rare requirement, thank goodness.

I've had two consecutive days of being connected. Now that I said that, I suspect tomorrow will not be a good day and if so, laser shopping will begin. That Brother printer looks pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom