Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) 2017 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tablo TV currently has a deal on refurb for the dual 64G and no shipping. I decided to jump on it. For $100, I'll make that up in two months dropping YTTV and going to Philo.

Once I realized sports were not that important, I made the jump. Even there, the local NFL team is on OTA, as are the some of the major finals in NHL and MLB. For now, that's enough, especially since my local NHL team has been eliminated. If NHL manages to come back next season, I'll likely switch to Hulu+Live for a while.

I'm getting used to this idea of seasonal TV package switching. It is so easy with the streaming services and makes a lot of sense for focused sports fans.

My first impressions with Tablo are very positive. Setup was ridiculously simple. It just finds the device on your network. No fuss. I experimented with placement of my old Mohu antenna, and found a sweet spot in a guest bedroom upstairs, where I conveniently installed an ethernet run 10 years ago. Perfect! OTA with no drops to our two TVs (in other rooms) that have Roku.

RonBoyd's observation a few posts up about Tablo stream quality are true. I can see it with the Tablo, there is some slight compression when I compare to pure OTA. This I can live with. Some may not be able to. You have to do your homework and decide what is best for you.

Philo hits the sweet spot with cable networks we usually watch. This may not be for everyone. It is good enough for us.

Is all this as "simple" as cable? No. Switching apps and dealing with the too-simple remote on Roku causes a bit of delay and hassle. Even there, I'm learning that slowing down has its benefits as it makes you think if you really want to watch TV, or maybe do something else.
No question the setup JW describes is not as “simple as cable.”

However, for readers who are looking for a drop in streaming package to replace cable or satellite at a substantial savings, YouTube TV and Hulu + Live ARE as simple as cable or satellite with all the most popular channels (incl live local majors). We have Hulu + Live without other paid streaming apps, and it is just as simple, or DW wouldn’t have allowed it. Now she’d never go back...

However, for readers who are looking for a drop in streaming package to replace cable or satellite at a substantial savings, YouTube TV and Hulu + Live ARE as simple as cable or satellite with all the most popular channels (incl live local majors). We have Hulu + Live without other paid streaming apps, and it is just as simple, or DW wouldn’t have allowed it. Now she’d never go back...

I'll agree with this with a caveat and an asterisk. :)

Caveat: it takes a little practice to get used to streaming devices. Getting into the app, figuring out how to navigate, etc. The learning curve is short and once you get it, no problem. Also, devices like Roku have shortcuts. Most Roku remotes have a "hulu" button making it super easy.

Asterisk: some things will never be as simple, but you'll get over it. Turning on streaming won't instantly put you on a channel you last watched. You have to scroll to your channel, no numerical direct entry. Etc. These are minor things.

There are benefits too, of course, that cable doesn't have. Multiple devices and platforms is a big one. That erases any asterisks in my mind.

Finally, after playing with YTTV and Hulu+Live, I think Hulu is the better user experience. The two week guide with more information is better, IMHO. There are other aspects of navigation I like better - once you are used to them. Hulu has "profiles" which are also handy.

... However, for readers who are looking for a drop in streaming package to replace cable or satellite at a substantial savings, YouTube TV and Hulu + Live ARE as simple as cable or satellite with all the most popular channels (incl live local majors). We have Hulu + Live without other paid streaming apps, and it is just as simple, or DW wouldn’t have allowed it. Now she’d never go back...

+1 DW is very sensitive to complexity... that is why she liked the Dish setup that we had as it was all controlled by one remote. I think it is fair to say that she has warmed up to YTTV... likes the simplicity of one remote and not having to change inputs.

Our antenna/streaming setup for the next couple months will require switching inputs so we'll see how that goes... I will spend $60 on two universal remote to control both the tv and FireStick with one remote (our tvs are to old to have HDMI CEC so our tv remotes can control the FireStick).

Part of the reason that I was drawn to the Fire TV Recast was that it didn't require input switching and was integrated with the Fire Stick remote... the fact that the guide is free was a cherry on top.

Last edited:
I'll agree with this with a caveat and an asterisk. :)

Caveat: it takes a little practice to get used to streaming devices. Getting into the app, figuring out how to navigate, etc. The learning curve is short and once you get it, no problem. Also, devices like Roku have shortcuts. Most Roku remotes have a "hulu" button making it super easy.

Asterisk: some things will never be as simple, but you'll get over it. Turning on streaming won't instantly put you on a channel you last watched. You have to scroll to your channel, no numerical direct entry. Etc. These are minor things.
Fair enough.

Re: Caveat. It’s a little different, not less simple? DW refused to even try streaming for 2 years before finally agreeing (the Dish increases finally got to her too). She was literally used to PSV, and later Hulu within 2 days - and she’s about as change averse as anyone.

Asterisk: No argument. We miss the JUMP (previous channel) button most. But since with increases we’re paying $55/month where Dish wanted us to pay $96/mo back in Jan 2018. That’s when DW finally said, OK let’s try cutting the cord. :D And having a matrix guide vs an icon guide was a deal breaker for her too, she still hates the icon/tile Netflix style UI.

Fair enough.

Re: Caveat. It’s a little different, not less simple? DW refused to even try streaming for 2 years before finally agreeing (the Dish increases finally got to her too). She was literally used to PSV, and later Hulu within 2 days - and she’s about as change averse as anyone.

Asterisk: No argument. We miss the JUMP (previous channel) button most. But since with increases we’re paying $55/month where Dish wanted us to pay $96/mo back in Jan 2018. That’s when DW finally said, OK let’s try cutting the cord. :D And having a matrix guide vs an icon guide was a deal breaker for her too, she still hates the icon/tile Netflix style UI.

Agree.

To save money and to fit more in line with what we watch, I decided to complicate a bit more by going to OTA + Philo. Any time you have input switching it gets complicated. With Tablo, it is only app switching, which is less complicated. Still, the least complicated are the +live services like Hulu+live and YTTV. Easy peasey.

As pb4 mentions, the future is a more integrated experience among services. Several firms are working on it, including Google apparently. I think it will be challenging, but we'll see. Maybe they can agree on a standard some day.

No question the setup JW describes is not as “simple as cable.”

However, for readers who are looking for a drop in streaming package to replace cable or satellite at a substantial savings, YouTube TV and Hulu + Live ARE as simple as cable or satellite with all the most popular channels (incl live local majors).

Since I never used Cable/Satellite (except in RV Parks), I can't really address the difference(s) between that and streaming. Nevertheless, I can say that ATT TV NOW is as simple as can be. You plug the box into your network and TV, turn it on, sign-in and you're in business. I admit, I am a special case because I was part of their BETA group and pay only $35 a month (grandfathered in) but I am told by others paying full boat they are satisfied with everything including the the networks (channels) available.

As far as the channel "jumps" go with ATT TV NOW: It always sarts with the last channel used. Since the Remote is voice operated, changing channels is as easy as "Go to CNN."

Last edited:
Nevertheless, I can say that ATT TV NOW is as simple as can be. You plug the box into your network and TV, turn it on, sign-in and you're in business.

I thought ATT TV NOW requires a streaming device, and with ATT TV you get a box? Leave it to AT&T to confuse everyone with their messed up naming.

In any case, you mentioned the box, along with the voice remote. Well AT&T TV was designed to specifically bridge the gap between pure streaming and old school cable. Their box is designed to make cable customers have a seamless experience, even though it is streaming technology under the covers.

I've seen plenty of positives on the user experience. I've seen nothing but negatives about the required 24 month commitment with early termination penalties... unless you are a lucky beta customer. :)

I thought ATT TV NOW requires a streaming device, and with ATT TV you get a box? Leave it to AT&T to confuse everyone with their messed up naming.

In any case, you mentioned the box, along with the voice remote. Well AT&T TV was designed to specifically bridge the gap between pure streaming and old school cable. Their box is designed to make cable customers have a seamless experience, even though it is streaming technology under the covers.

I've seen plenty of positives on the user experience. I've seen nothing but negatives about the required 24 month commitment with early termination penalties... unless you are a lucky beta customer. :)

Well, you can use a streaming device -- ROKU, Fire, etc. -- or even your phone or computer and, if desired, cast to a TV. It is just easier with the Osprey box -- if nothing else, it has a very impressive Remote.

Yeah, the 24 month thing is a sore spot with many folks. One does have to reconcile that for themselves. There are advantages/disadvantages either way. This is the same argument that Adobe had with their products. A company normally has a leg-up (growth) with a guaranteed income over those where every month's income is a surprise. And I am not really sure this applies to the ATT TV NOW service (it may).

The latest bill from my ISP, which used to be both my ISP and cable provider, contained a note that starting next month they will be tacking on a 3% "Network Safety Administration Fee." The marketingspeak following the announcement was, "As our fiber network expands, [xxx] Networks is increasing its spending on measures to keep that network secure and resilient. These safeguards allow us to proactively prevent outages and to ensure that our customers experience uninterrupted, high quality service. As we continue to invest to bring a world-class fiber network to our customers, we are committed to making that network resilient so that our customers receive reliable service each and every time."

So, in fine cable company fashion, they're raising the bill 3% while claiming it's a "fee". Looks like the cost of doing business to me. Along with the recent increase by YouTube TV, I'm now only saving about 30 bucks per month over what I used to be paying for cable+internet.

I'm sure this will continue as cable companies lose TV subscribers. Too bad I can't get local channels OTA. Frankly, I should be looking at dumping YTTV and going with maybe Hulu (not live) coupled with CBS or NBC's streaming service. Except for news, which I can get online without continuous video that just tends to depress me, I'm not watching much "cable" TV.

Too bad I can't get local channels OTA.

I really, deep down, sympathize with you on that. I am fortunate (ain't luck wonderful?) to be in a place that has ~90 OTA choices. I am sure if I was in your position, I would quite easily get over whatever moral/ethical qualms I might have about Locast. This is a battle that Locast has to fight and you (and others) should not be distracted by. Until it is determined otherwise (by legal means), I would consider it a valid way to watch TV.

Just sayin'

https://www.locast.org/

The latest bill from my ISP, which used to be both my ISP and cable provider, contained a note that starting next month they will be tacking on a 3% "Network Safety Administration Fee." The marketingspeak following the announcement was, "As our fiber network expands, [xxx] Networks is increasing its spending on measures to keep that network secure and resilient. These safeguards allow us to proactively prevent outages and to ensure that our customers experience uninterrupted, high quality service. As we continue to invest to bring a world-class fiber network to our customers, we are committed to making that network resilient so that our customers receive reliable service each and every time."

So, in fine cable company fashion, they're raising the bill 3% while claiming it's a "fee". Looks like the cost of doing business to me. Along with the recent increase by YouTube TV, I'm now only saving about 30 bucks per month over what I used to be paying for cable+internet.

I'm sure this will continue as cable companies lose TV subscribers. Too bad I can't get local channels OTA. Frankly, I should be looking at dumping YTTV and going with maybe Hulu (not live) coupled with CBS or NBC's streaming service. Except for news, which I can get online without continuous video that just tends to depress me, I'm not watching much "cable" TV.

Which company?

So can you sue them if there's a breach on their network?

I am sure if I was in your position, I would quite easily get over whatever moral/ethical qualms I might have about Locast.
A nice option if you happen to live in one of the 22 DMAs that covers 43% of the US population. We're wedged between the Houston and Dallas DMAs (Austin DMA), and the Austin DMA is somewhere around #40 in the US by market size (San Antonio's DMA is around #31, so they would be ahead of the Austin DMA).

Basically, the most populated areas of the US get another option. Those in a moderately populated area, not so much.

We are now officially cord cutters! Actually, we may have been cord-cutters a month or so ago when we gave Dish TV the boot... ironically later than day YTTV announced their $15/month increase.... and we stayed with YTTV at the $50/month rate and gave them the boot at the $65/month rate.... our service stopped about 90 minutes ago.

In the interim, I discovered that we actually are able to get OTA in our location so I put an antenna in the attic. We didn't get ABC at first but I think they were working on their towers and not at full power... but a rescan pulled up 29 channels including ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, PBS and the CW and the other common digital channels like Movies!, Circle, StartTV, MeTV, Laff, Grit, Quest, CourtTV, Bounce, et al.

I ordered a Fire TV Recast today so we can DVR content for later viewing and skip commercials.

In addition to the above we have PBS Passport and Prime Video and access to some cable channels like HGTV and Hallmark via TVEverywhere apps using our winter condo credentials. We'll see how that goes... we only have a couple months left here and may subscribe to Hulu without commercials or Philo next summer if we feel conent deprived.

^Some other tips... Sign up for free no-ads Kanopy/Hoopla via library card - some pretty good content. Rotating services once a month or so like Netflix to HBO Max to Hulu OD to Disney+, etc. allows getting the content of many SVOD services over a year for the price of one. I also rotate PBS Passport, CuriosityStream, Smithsonian and Magellan in parallel. And plenty of free AVOD services like Pluto, Crackle, Tubi, Peacock, etc.

To find content across just about every service in a consolidated view/search, check out JustWatch.com and ReelGood.com.

Last edited:
I feel like YTTV is missing the boat here, they keep adding channels and raising prices to compete with cable, but are totally forgetting the customers that signed up for low monthly costs.

Right now we are Hulu live but the minute baseball season is over we will switch to Sling. Sling dumped regional live sports to give real bargain hunters a good option. Their Orange and Blue packages are the best deal around.

We are now officially cord cutters! Actually, we may have been cord-cutters a month or so ago when we gave Dish TV the boot... ironically later than day YTTV announced their $15/month increase.... and we stayed with YTTV at the $50/month rate and gave them the boot at the $65/month rate.... our service stopped about 90 minutes ago.

In the interim, I discovered that we actually are able to get OTA in our location so I put an antenna in the attic. We didn't get ABC at first but I think they were working on their towers and not at full power... but a rescan pulled up 29 channels including ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, PBS and the CW and the other common digital channels like Movies!, Circle, StartTV, MeTV, Laff, Grit, Quest, CourtTV, Bounce, et al.

I ordered a Fire TV Recast today so we can DVR content for later viewing and skip commercials.

In addition to the above we have PBS Passport and Prime Video and access to some cable channels like HGTV and Hallmark via TVEverywhere apps using our winter condo credentials. We'll see how that goes... we only have a couple months left here and may subscribe to Hulu without commercials or Philo next summer if we feel conent deprived.

You are doing exactly what I would do.

Sling dumped regional live sports to give real bargain hunters a good option. Their Orange and Blue packages are the best deal around.
Their Blue package plus Total TV addon fits DW's want list almost perfectly. Only concern will be whether their 50 hour cloud DVR included with the Total TV addon (base packages have just 10 hours) will be sufficient.

Our current service, AT&T Uverse with 1G fiber optic, has a DVR capable of up to 330 hours @ HD. DW constantly loads up the DVR to binge record shows she would like to watch from time to time, and she has filled up to 30% of the available space at times, which would be about 100 hours, twice the Sling limit.

DW usually doesn't watch all the shows recorded, but she has the DVR pick up whatever episodes (new and old) that appear for a list of favorite shows. She could keep the favorites around rather than re-recording them, but then the DVR would really start filling up.

I feel like YTTV is missing the boat here, they keep adding channels and raising prices to compete with cable, but are totally forgetting the customers that signed up for low monthly costs.

It comes down to the bottom line, at the low entry cost they started with they were losing money. Just a matter of time before prices had to go up, new channels or not.

It comes down to the bottom line, at the low entry cost they started with they were losing money. Just a matter of time before prices had to go up, new channels or not.
Not quite. Though they probably needed to increase prices to reach suitable margins, adding Viacom wasn’t imperative - they added those (substantial) costs and added price increase pressures themselves. I’m just hoping Hulu + Live will resist adding Viacom so they can stay below YTTV, even if both continue to increase prices. And adding subscribers has to help them contain costs too. Fingers crossed.

Not quite. Though they probably needed to increase prices to reach suitable margins

Yep, charging your subscribers ~$10 less/month that what it's costing you would probably fall under unsustainable margins.

We gave Dish the boot recently, after being a 18 year customer. For us, it was the contract disputes between Dish and the carriers that was the final straw. When we lost our local ABC, it was the "nudge" needed to cut the cord. ABC was the 4th channel we lost without any type of corresponding credit back for the lack of service. I was surprised at the offers to reduce our bill when I called Dish to terminate (which required a new 2 year agreement), but we had made up our mind.

We bought the new 2nd gen Fire TV Cube for our two TVs and then went through all the free trials with YTTV, Hulu, and Fubo. None are perfect and the choice is entirely based on personal preferences. Absolutely hated the guide on YTTV plus missing a few channels DW had to have, Hulu didn't have many of channels we wanted, Fubo didn't offer Turner channels. For us, we went with Fubo.

I installed an OTA antenna in the attic many years ago for TV in exercise room. We get 74 digital HD channels in our location. I personally could probably live with just that, but DW needs her HGTV & FOOD channels.

We're saving $100/month from Dish to Fubo. The streaming user experience is quite a bit different than cable, but getting more comfortable with it fairly quickly. We now wish we had cut the cord much sooner.

We're saving $100/month from Dish to Fubo. The streaming user experience is quite a bit different than cable, but getting more comfortable with it fairly quickly. We now wish we had cut the cord much sooner.

Considering you can get Dish 190 channel package for 2 TV's for ~$65/month how did you come up with a $100/month savings?

That $65 is a decent deal... but it is a promotional rate... fine print says "After 2 years, then-current everyday prices for all services apply."

That $65 is a decent deal... but it is a promotional rate... fine print says "After 2 years, then-current everyday prices for all services apply."
I didn't pay anywhere near $100 for Dish. I just had one receiver though. No hoppers and no premium channels other than Sports Pak. DirecTV seemed to me to be the one that had much lower promo rates than your final rate.

When we cut Dish loose we were paying ~$55/month... $30 for their skinny Welcome Pack programming, $15 for receiver with DVR, $7 for a Joey, plus taxes and fees.

We had previously had 4 tvs... so add $10 for a Super Joey and $7 for another Joey and we were paying ~$72/month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom