Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) 2017 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you get to choose what channels appear on the 2 week TV guide? How does it compare to EPG?

Yes, you can select what channels appear on the EPG. For instance, I have 81 channels available but only 44 show up in the Guide. Disappointing is that you cannot select "favorites" so as to quickly change channels.

Tablo (at least the newer/current version) is customizable in many ways -- the commercial skipping and FF/RW are exceptional, for instance. I highly recommend it for those with OTA availability. (I still prefer SageTV but that is another story.)

If all you want is local news and some network shows, then 80 hours should be fine. We went with the 2 tuner and purchased a 1 TB hard drive. Constantly over 90% full. Some channels have a binge of an old show. That can be many, many episodes. For example, we recorded over 100 77 Sunset Strip, 80 Outer Space, 200 Tales of Wells Fargo, 80 Poldark, and a host of others. As always, YMMV.

We have the Quad (4-tuner) Tablo and a 2 TB drive attached. That is a little overkill probably but our SageTV system has 10 tuners and there have been times in the past when...

Still the Quad is nice to have for not that much greater cost... relative to the overall scheme of things.

Do you get to choose what channels appear on the 2 week TV guide? How does it compare to EPG?
It only shows the channels I put a checkmark by after I scan. I get 11 over the air and have checks on 6. Those 6 show up in my guide. I have not used EPG guide.

I think I could go all on-demand only if it weren't for news and sports (even though it's scarcer at the moment). And DW just doesn't watch anything on-demand besides movies - she's a creature of habit re: live broadcasts even though she does DVR lots of her shows. She binge watched on series on Hulu, but she just doesn't look at the on-demand library except movies. I'm glad I got her to drop cable/satellite for live streaming, but I'm not sure I'll get her to drop "live." Frankly, I watch shows I'm subscribed to on YouTube more often than "live" TV - there is so little I care to watch aside from news and sports.

Earlier I was enthusiastic about Tablo -- I am. However, there is another option that is very close (IMHO) and that is HDHomeRun/Channels DVR. This article compares the two quite well.

The Tablo transcodes everything it records on the fly from the raw (MPEG-2) stream to TLS. This makes it more compatible with streaming devices like Roku, Android or Apple TV. You can use their app directly on these media streamers and watch recorded content from an attached USB drive. Some Tablo models now come with internal storage.

One advantage of TLS recordings is they are smaller and will play directly on devices like Roku which can't play MPEG-2 streams. And while this saves space on a hard drive, video quality is at a lower quality resolution than the untouched 1080p MPEG-2 video stream.

The HDHomeRun on the other hand needs a computer, NAS or Nvidia SHIELD with attached drive to record and save stored video recordings. And this must be on an running while the video is played back through the Channels DVR app. Much the same like the Plex Server and the Plex app.

The Channels app when used with an HDHomeRun to play back time shifted recordings on an AppleTV or Nvidia SHIELD offers a great user experience. And since the recorded videos are not transcoded, there is no loss in picture quality between the original 1080p HD signal seen from the antenna, and the recordings viewed on your TV screen with a HDHomeRun.

While both the HDHomeRun and Tablo are great DVRs that cost significantly less than a TiVo, choosing the right one may depend on your needs. For a simple solution, the Tablo can't be beat. But if you want a nicer picture with a better guide and faster performance, a HDHomeRun Network tuner together with the Channels DVR app are hard to beat.

https://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2020/08/channels-dvr-hdhomerun-vs-tablo.html

Indianapolis and other IN cities are suing Netflix, Hulu and Disney+ for not collecting and paying franchise fees, claiming these streaming services uses "public rights of way."

Franchise fees were put in to collect fees from cable TV operators for being granted monopolies.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...u-disney-claim-they-owe-cable-franchise-fees/

Not sure how much revenues they brought to the cities but in the age of cord-cutting some city govts. may get desperate to replace those city revenues.

+1 BS lawsuit... the streaming services also deliver content via the cellular network in addition to wired internet services... I suppose that the cities will lay a claim to that in that the cell system traffic is traveling through their air? :facepalm:

Blatant money grab.

Last edited:
I think they collect taxes on both wired and wireless Internet.

Still the Quad is nice to have for not that much greater cost... relative to the overall scheme of things.

+1 on four tuners. While I rarely use all four, it does happen a few times a years. And I often am using three tuners, so a two tuner rig would make me a very unhappy camper.

+1 on four tuners. While I rarely use all four, it does happen a few times a years. And I often am using three tuners, so a two tuner rig would make me a very unhappy camper.

Does it indicate a conflict if you try to go for more programs than the tuner allows?

Finally trimmed the cord to a fine thread today

This post focuses on UVERSE transition

statsman
: you may be especially interested

So, today, I effectively cut the cord. I called up AT&T Uverse, went through the phone tree with a few magic words, and got USA based retention. Man, I wish all their agents were so nice. My agent was so nice she put a spell on me enough to (sort of) keep Uverse.

Before I go further: skip the tree and magic words. Call Uverse retention directly at 877-377-0414 if you want to deal.

So, they know I've had Uverse for 12 years. They know I have options for internet with Spectrum and Google. So my deal may not be available for everyone. I'm fortunate in this regard.

Here's what was offered. For $9 more than Google Fiber, with NO contract or commitments, I got upgraded to 1G fiber internet, unlimited data, HBO Max, and just local channels at standard definition. The local channels are throw away. There's no DVR at this deal, so I'd be better off watching with my OTA antenna. I'm just going to call this a $9 HBO Max fee. I'll give it a try.

Key takeaway: Uverse is not dead, they still will deal. I've heard it is "AT&T TV or Now or hit the highway." Not in my case. She also offered me something for U200 that wasn't too bad. However, I'm tired of their constant price raises. And, well, I'm starting to like the idea of no equipment, multiple streams and devices, and the freedom of streaming month to month at my provider of choice.

I'll consider this a transition while I consider and work out Tablo. Or, heck, I may like HBO Max enough to consider the $9 worth it. I still haven't seen the Sopranos or GOT yet. (Aside: I had HBO Max already as all AT&T customers do, I just didn't pay attention.)

Final price is $79, with a few bucks in tax added to that. Google Fiber is $70, with similar tax. The key here is NO commitment, contract or cancel fee. (Spectrum's offerings for near 1G internet are not competitive, and even at 200M, are similar but require a promotional price rise after 1 yr, which they don't easily disclose.)

I'm effectively cut, but since I'll still get about 7 OTA channels on my Uverse box, I'm a Uverse customer. It will likely get unplugged.

If you have AT&T Uverse, what will you get? I don't know. It depends on your competition or lack thereof.

What will happen after 1 yr? I don't know. The agent said that AT&T has been loath to mess with the basic TV plan and has not raised the price since it was introduced before 2010. My guess on that is because it keeps AT&T out of the doghouse with the politicians because they can say "we have affordable basic TV." Buried in my price is a $20 loyalty bonus which I've had for a few years, and she claims has no expiration if I keep Uverse. We'll see.

Does it indicate a conflict if you try to go for more programs than the tuner allows?

Think of it this way. A television set (*usually) has only one tuner. This prevents you from watching both Channel 2 and Channel 4 at the same time.

I say "usually because Picture-in-Picture sets have a second tuner.

This post focuses on UVERSE transition

statsman
: you may be especially interested ...
Thank you for the update. In our case, DW has us on U300, so downgrading on Uverse doesn't help. We're also already on 1 GB Internet with AT&T.

We may try to see if they'll deal before 11/6, but the current promo is still $30+/mo more than going with 1 GB Internet (separate), Sling Blue + Total TV, and an antenna for OTA ($6/mo less if we go with Hulu for the local channels delayed). Hard to see them cutting the cost even more.

We have Suddenlink available, but that's it. Sounds like their Internet service is fine, but their TV service is lacking. Not sure if we can use them to force AT&T into a deal.

(Regarding Ronboyd's Tablo discussion two posts up...)

There might be a misunderstanding. On Uverse, they only have capacity for four recordings at a time. If you try five, you get a pop up rejection. If it is a series record, and 5 streams are trying at once, it will show up as red warnings in "Upcoming Recordings". You can click it and you get options on resolving the conflict.

Does Tablo have this kind of warning and resolution process if you attempt too many at once?

Last edited:
(Regarding Ronboyd's Tablo discussion two posts up...)

There might be a misunderstanding. On Uverse, they only have capacity for four recordings at a time. If you try five, you get a pop up rejection. If it is a series record, and 5 streams are trying at once, it will show up as red warnings in "Upcoming Recordings". You can click it and you get options on resolving the conflict.

Does Tablo have this kind of warning and resolution process if you attempt too many at once?

Yes, it does.

If I could get OTA I would add a DVR off the OTA and drop YTTV.

Well, as it turns out... to my surprise... I can get OTA.

About a week ago for sh!ts and giggles, I connected a coax cable to our main tv with the other end on an electrical outlet screw and ran a channel scan. I got PBS which was no surprise since the NH PBS stations are close... but I also got NBC, which gave me hope that perhaps I really could get OTA since the ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC stations all broadcast from Mt. Mansfield about 30 miles northwest of us.

On Thursday, I bought a couple antennas at Walmart and a signal amplifier. Initially, I was able to get PBS and NBC... since the NBC towers are in the same area as ABC, CBS and Fox, I was hopeful. With some additional fine tuning, with the antenna in the attic I was able to get CBS, NBC, Fox and three different PBS stations... just no ABC.

Luckily, when we built the house I put a coax cable in the attic because at the time DW thought that she might do sewing up there. That didn't pan out and we just use it for off-season storage. But I was able to install the antenna in the attic and use that coax run that ends in the utility room to split the antenna to the great room, she-cave, family room and a guest bedroom.

Today, I found out that ABC is working on their transmitter and not currently transmitting at full power, so ABC may come around eventually... it should as I get Fox great and here the ABC and Fox stations are affiliates.

Since we only have a couple months left here after our YTTV service goes on suspension on Aug 24, I think we'll limp along using the antenna without a DVR for live TV and Hulu without commercials ($12/month) for streaming for Sept and Oct. We have Xfinity in Florida as part of our HOA fee.

I was close to buying a FIRE TV Recast for OTA DVR but its 2 years old so I'm hoping that they come out with a new and improved model before we return in May 2020.

Interestingly, the $44 GE Antenna outperformed the $70 Clearstream antenna.. YMMV. So for ~$60 for an antenna and signal amplifier and a half a day of messing around we now have OTA!

And the cherry on top was giving YTTV the middle finger by suspending my service in response to their recent price hike!

Last edited:
Awesome! I could get by very well with OTA and the Hulu streaming channel. However, my DW is addicted to a couple of cable networks that she cannot live without. Therefore, we have Hulu plus live TV. It has been a great service and provides more than I could ever keep up with. Lucky you!

If you are interesting in the FireTV recast - wait for the sale, I saw Amazon drop the price for the 2 tuner 500gb to $149 all the time.

Tablo TV currently has a deal on refurb for the dual 64G and no shipping. I decided to jump on it. For $100, I'll make that up in two months dropping YTTV and going to Philo.

Once I realized sports were not that important, I made the jump. Even there, the local NFL team is on OTA, as are the some of the major finals in NHL and MLB. For now, that's enough, especially since my local NHL team has been eliminated. If NHL manages to come back next season, I'll likely switch to Hulu+Live for a while.

I'm getting used to this idea of seasonal TV package switching. It is so easy with the streaming services and makes a lot of sense for focused sports fans.

My first impressions with Tablo are very positive. Setup was ridiculously simple. It just finds the device on your network. No fuss. I experimented with placement of my old Mohu antenna, and found a sweet spot in a guest bedroom upstairs, where I conveniently installed an ethernet run 10 years ago. Perfect! OTA with no drops to our two TVs (in other rooms) that have Roku.

RonBoyd's observation a few posts up about Tablo stream quality are true. I can see it with the Tablo, there is some slight compression when I compare to pure OTA. This I can live with. Some may not be able to. You have to do your homework and decide what is best for you.

Philo hits the sweet spot with cable networks we usually watch. This may not be for everyone. It is good enough for us.

Is all this as "simple" as cable? No. Switching apps and dealing with the too-simple remote on Roku causes a bit of delay and hassle. Even there, I'm learning that slowing down has its benefits as it makes you think if you really want to watch TV, or maybe do something else.

I'm getting used to this idea of seasonal TV package switching. It is so easy with the streaming services and makes a lot of sense for focused sports fans.

+1

I reached that same conclusion in January of last year and have saved several hundred dollars to date, with the total increasing every month. If I was still chained to a two year sat TV agreement just to get coverage of nonexistent sports I would be severely pissed.

Well, as it turns out... to my surprise... I can get OTA.

About a week ago for sh!ts and giggles, I connected a coax cable to our main tv with the other end on an electrical outlet screw and ran a channel scan. I got PBS which was no surprise since the NH PBS stations are close... but I also got NBC, which gave me hope that perhaps I really could get OTA since the ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC stations all broadcast from Mt. Mansfield about 30 miles northwest of us.

On Thursday, I bought a couple antennas at Walmart and a signal amplifier. Initially, I was able to get PBS and NBC... since the NBC towers are in the same area as ABC, CBS and Fox, I was hopeful. With some additional fine tuning, with the antenna in the attic I was able to get CBS, NBC, Fox and three different PBS stations... just no ABC.

Luckily, when we built the house I put a coax cable in the attic because at the time DW thought that she might do sewing up there. That didn't pan out and we just use it for off-season storage. But I was able to install the antenna in the attic and use that coax run that ends in the utility room to split the antenna to the great room, she-cave, family room and a guest bedroom.

Today, I found out that ABC is working on their transmitter and not currently transmitting at full power, so ABC may come around eventually... it should as I get Fox great and here the ABC and Fox stations are affiliates.

Since we only have a couple months left here after our YTTV service goes on suspension on Aug 24, I think we'll limp along using the antenna without a DVR for live TV and Hulu without commercials ($12/month) for streaming for Sept and Oct. We have Xfinity in Florida as part of our HOA fee.

I was close to buying a FIRE TV Recast for OTA DVR but its 2 years old so I'm hoping that they come out with a new and improved model before we return in May 2020.

Interestingly, the $44 GE Antenna outperformed the $70 Clearstream antenna.. YMMV. So for ~$60 for an antenna and signal amplifier and a half a day of messing around we now have OTA!

And the cherry on top was giving YTTV the middle finger by suspending my service in response to their recent price hike!
I did about the same thing only I mounted a directional antenna with an amplifier on the outside of my house under the gable end of the roof. The towers are around 35 miles of mountainous terrain away but no tall mountains in between. I get almost perfect reception. I found it interesting that I also can simultaneously pick up channels poorly that are about 35 miles in the opposite direction and on a mountain on the other side of Pikes Peak.

Is all this as "simple" as cable? No. Switching apps and dealing with the too-simple remote on Roku causes a bit of delay and hassle. Even there, I'm learning that slowing down has its benefits as it makes you think if you really want to watch TV, or maybe do something else.

Yes, having each device/subscription/network acting independent of each other is a complaint that has been going on for a long time. I have heard that Google is working on a way to aggregate the various entities. I am not sure how successful they will be since having a third party controlling your media doesn't seem like a very good business model,

Anyway, my setup is (much?) more complicated than most. I have 8 "boxes" - ROKU, Fire Cube, Channel Master, ATT TV, SageTV, nVidia Shield, Vizio TV, Internet Radio - all piped through a Yamaha AVR. So that is nine individual Remote Controls all different. Grrrr. My home-grown solution was to get a Harmony Elite Universal Remote. A quite expensive solution but, nevertheless, effective. https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Elite-Remote-Control/dp/B014PDFP9S. I would like this multi-unit issue to be resolved so I am rooting for Google... but am skeptical. (Google has promised this type of stuff many times and the simply never mentioned it again.)

FWIW, the Tablo "box" is controlled by several of the above listed devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom