Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) 2017 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
TiVo has an OTA 1gb VOX DVR "renewed" on sale for $249 and includes the TiVo lifetime subscription. May be decent option for someone who wants DVR capabilities for OTA, 4 tuners.

Save up to $420! TiVo Presidents Day Sale - Limited time only.

Keep in mind this is the older Tivo Roamio unit not the newer Bolt model that handles 4K TV. That said, I have two of these older units which I purchased with the full lifetime guide, and both have worked very well for me. I did have to replace a noisy fan in one about a week ago. It is easy to do and the fan was cheap to buy. FREE OTA TV! TV like it used to be.

Keep in mind this is the older Tivo Roamio unit not the newer Bolt model that handles 4K TV. That said, I have two of these older units which I purchased with the full lifetime guide, and both have worked very well for me. I did have to replace a noisy fan in one about a week ago. It is easy to do and the fan was cheap to buy. FREE OTA TV! TV like it used to be.

True, so if 4k is important to you get the Bolt that is also on sale for $279, it supports 4k. Bolt supports either Cable or OTA, only one so can't do both on same.

"Like it used to be" but much better with the ability to time shift and for more popular prime-time shows commercial break skip. Commercial break skip is FANTASTIC since it's a push of one button to instantly skip through the ENTIRE commercial break no matter how many commercials there are. I have the older Roamio OTA 1Tb but I assume the newer OTA models also have this feature. I use OTA with my TiVo plus streaming (YoutubeTV). When I can get the show with my TiVo I do because I find it to be more convenient and intuitive to use. I use streaming primarily for sports.

I had to replace my fan after a couple of years too, but as you say very easy and inexpensively done.

"Like it used to be" but much better with the ability to time shift and for more popular prime-time shows commercial break skip. Commercial break skip is FANTASTIC since it's a push of one button to instantly skip through the ENTIRE commercial break no matter how many commercials there are. I

Another great feature is being able to speed up a show by 20% without getting the 'chipmunk' voices. I use it when I promised the grandchildren that they can finish a show before going to bed. I'm a sneaky devil at times. :D

No OTA at home so we have been relying on Dish. We use their ultra skinny Welcome Pack. I just saw that Welcome Pack, which was $23/month will now in 2019 be $30/month for new subscribers and $26/month for existing subscibers... not sure what rate they will apply in my situation since we were on Welcome Pack until we went on seasonal hold.

Our equipment cost is $40/month for 4 TVs (DVR, Super Joey and 2 Joey's). What we do really like about Dish is the abiity to easily access live or recorded shows from any TV in the house... but I'm not sure it is worth an extra $30/month... but DW isn't very technologically proficient so it may be worth $30/month to not have to show her how to change inputs (again and again).

To cut down on my Joey cost, for myself I use the Dish Anywhere on my PC. I upgraded my NVIDIA card, and I have HDMI ports on my tower PC with wifi. And I have a 27 inch 1080 samsung TV I stole from the guest room. And it works great for me and I can stream from general internet sources also. It would totally irritate DW to have a setup light that for her TV. (and by dumping the guest TV we freed up a roku to use elsewhere. We don't want those guests being too comfortable.)

I posted on this string sometime last year. We were Spectrum Triple Play on the old Time Warner platform. Once Charter bought Time Warner, things changed and whereas we were always able to renegotiate the annual price increase, once Charter took over that ability went away. We are also snow birds and are away for 2 months each year. We had been paying $207 per month in 2018, including several premium channels (HBO/Showtime/Epix/Starz). Of those premiums, we really only watched HBO and occasionally Showtime, but the premiums were bundled. The internet was only 60mg. Knowing that the rate was going to increase again this past January, we decided to unbundle the phone in anticipation of cutting the cord while we were absent for 2 months. We did that in December and ported that number to Magic Jack successfully. I'm not thrilled with Magic Jack, but at least we have unbundled and can keep the same number we have had since 1991..

I had to laugh when we received a notice from Spectrum after the porting, that our bill in January would have gone from $207 to $295, if we had done nothing. We dropped a service, but the bill was going to increase by $88. We then dropped off our two boxes and downgraded to just internet (now 100mb rather than 60 we had in 2018) and the bill for internet only will be $66/mo for the next 2 months. When we return at the end of March we will then have a decision to make on service going forward. We can either go with Spectrum, as new customers (yes if you drop cable for 30 days you then become a ¨new customer¨). The new rate for internet, plus cable with the same channel line up plus DVR, On Demand, and HBO/Showtime/Cinemax(silver package) will be $147 per month, including taxes.

So we are now watching this string closely to determine if that is the direction we want to go in. Going the Spectrum route will mean we pay $81 including taxes (which are fairly significant) for cable including DVR and the premiums. I'm not sure that we can get a better deal than that, assuming that we do want HBO & Showtime. If we stay with Spectrum we will have to turn in the boxes every year to maintain the new customer pricing, but it really isn't that big a deal to do that and worth it to save, I calculate roughly $1,000 a year. It seems to me that some of the streaming packages, after adding the premiums and the taxes isn't that different than the $81 we will spend with Spectrum. Plus streaming of Netflix and Amazon, which we do regularly, frequently results in buffering issues, so I assume we may have the same issues with any additional streaming service we might choose.
Did you consider dropping everything including internet when you went south, and take advantage of the 89.99 triple play for completely new customers when you returned? Even if you don't use phone it would be cheaper 1st year. You could rinse and repeat every year.

You can only get streaming in 4K on the Bolt right?

You can only get streaming in 4K on the Bolt right?

If I understand the question correctly -- You need the Bolt to stream 4k -- earlier models won't -- but the Bolt would also stream lesser resolution video.

Did you consider dropping everything including internet when you went south, and take advantage of the 89.99 triple play for completely new customers when you returned? Even if you don't use phone it would be cheaper 1st year. You could rinse and repeat every year.

We did indeed think about it, but we have several smart home devices that require internet to function(including our 5 zone heating system), so that really isn't a realistic option. Also that 89.99 does not include taxes, nor does it include the premium channels and additional channel line up included in the Silver package. The ¨new customer¨internet price is $49.99, vs $64.99 so we are only talking about a $15.00 difference in price per month.

If I understand the question correctly -- You need the Bolt to stream 4k -- earlier models won't -- but the Bolt would also stream lesser resolution video.

Yeah just clarifying.

You can't get 4K OTA because no stations are broadcast 4K content yet. When they do, which could be a couple more years from now because they're just beginning to test ATSC 3.0, the tuners in the Bolt won't be able to receive ATSC 3.0 broadcasts.

And cable systems aren't sending a lot of 4K channels either. Again, Tivos would need updated cable tuners.

So really it's about streaming Netflix and Amazon in 4K but you can get that from a $69 Roku box.

New capability - not particularly needed, but, cool ...

Last night was watching something on local channel via the antenna in the attic - OTA, but figured to call it a night.

Wandered around for a few minutes, then hit the rack ... wife was reading ... I grabbed iPad off the bedside table and opened the Channels app and started watching the end of the item I had started - no wires - no TV on the wall ...

This isn't consistently useful, but the concept of receiving OTA and accessing it via wifi anywhere anytime in the house is interesting!

So, then I selected Hulu app ($1/month from special last year) and watched a few minutes of one of their products ... same transparency of operation.

Gotta tell ya, cable TV has significant probability of going d o w n slowly. But, certainly going down.

Total access cost is $50.51/mo for internet ...have to amortize the antenna ($40), the SiliconDust Homerun box ($28 used), and the new Apple TV 4K box ($200) and the effort to install in the attic.

Paying for: Netflix (largest single cost), Hulu ($1/mo special), Prime (shipping is main reason so don't even include it), and PBS (we support so access cost is irrelevant).

Our biggest issue is: what to watch - WAAAAY too many choices to even consider DVRing anything.

Our biggest issue is: what to watch - WAAAAY too many choices to even consider DVRing anything.

+1

That may be cable's biggest problem. If one tries via individual subscriptions to duplicate all that a cable subscription provides, I imagine it would be more costly than the cable.

But, if one can give up the idea of having to have to have nearly everything available right now, today, on-demand, there is plenty to watch. Between Netflix, Amazon Prime, DVD's from the library and OTA TV, I would need to turn into the King of the Couch Potatoes to see 1/2 of what interests me.

That may be cable's biggest problem. If one tries via individual subscriptions to duplicate all that a cable subscription provides, I imagine it would be more costly than the cable.
Another reason, besides saving over $500/yr, we were glad to drop satellite. We had over 120 channels and never watched 100 of them - not once. Now we have 60 channels w streaming, so there's much less "chaff" included to wade through.

WAAAAY too many choices to even consider DVRing anything.

Yeah, recording only solves the time shift/place shift issue. If your schedule allows you to catch a show at the time of broadcast, a DVR is useless --- well, except for that "go back" and/or "pause" thing.

RonBoyd,

I note that with my OTA into the HD Homerun tuner with access via the Channels app running on Apple TV 4K box, I can simply pause the broadcast show and restart from that point ... simple click for both actions.

I think this is made possible by the Apple TV box ...

To cut down on my Joey cost, for myself I use the Dish Anywhere on my PC. I upgraded my NVIDIA card, and I have HDMI ports on my tower PC with wifi. And I have a 27 inch 1080 samsung TV I stole from the guest room. And it works great for me and I can stream from general internet sources also. It would totally irritate DW to have a setup light that for her TV. (and by dumping the guest TV we freed up a roku to use elsewhere. We don't want those guests being too comfortable.)
Do you like DishAnywhere? It seems really choppy to me most of the time when I try it on my FireStick. It also seems to interrupt recordings. I'm pretty disappointed in it.

+1

But, if one can give up the idea of having to have to have nearly everything available right now, today, on-demand, there is plenty to watch. Between Netflix, Amazon Prime, DVD's from the library and OTA TV, I would need to turn into the King of the Couch Potatoes to see 1/2 of what interests me.

Well it's suppose to be a great time for "prestige TV" production.

There are certainly shows which stimulate a lot of discussion online. Not necessarily here though there are some show threads with recommendations, but all over the web.

They do engage enough people's imaginations that people are paying for TV, more than they probably imagined they would.

Steve Jobs and others dismissed and disdained the "boob tube" as dumb and unworthy of our time. But we're at some kind of peak or maybe a bubble for TV show production.

Has anyone tried Spectrum Choice? We changed our internet to Spectrum last summer and I'm thinking that might be a possible alternative to Dish.

I haven't tried it PB, but along with Spectrum and its cable boxes, I have been using the Spectrum TV app on two TV's that did not have boxes, (ROKU) as well as a few computers and an ipad and that format is great. We've had a few buffering issues, but not that many and they would be due to our internet signal as opposed to the app itself. That is one of the options I've been considering to replace our cable boxes, which as I mentioned above, we turned in in January. I have to figure out though if I can live without DVR.

Yeah, I'm not sure we could do without a DVR.... I'm not willing to go back to having to watch commercials again.

I haven't tried it PB, but along with Spectrum and its cable boxes, I have been using the Spectrum TV app on two TV's that did not have boxes, (ROKU) as well as a few computers and an ipad and that format is great. We've had a few buffering issues, but not that many and they would be due to our internet signal as opposed to the app itself. That is one of the options I've been considering to replace our cable boxes, which as I mentioned above, we turned in in January. I have to figure out though if I can live without DVR.

Yes, when I called to cut off the cable tv service with Spectrum and go back to just landline and internet, the customer service person offered a Silver package that has no boxes-streaming only. So, I have internet, landline and streaming TV. Including fees and taxes it is $126 a month. We stream on Roku. We can also watch on Android devices. As part of the package, they sent us a cable card even though I don't want it and have no device that will accept it. My guess is that this allows them to still consider me a cable customer.

+1

Exactly. We had already pretty much soured on dealing with scheduled programming, so on-demand streaming was a delightful change.

We really watch only a couple hours streaming TV a day. We usually watch 1 hour together. DH an additional hour by himself.

Yeah, I'm not sure we could do without a DVR.... I'm not willing to go back to having to watch commercials again.

What we stream doesn’t interrupt shows wth commercials....

Yes, when I called to cut off the cable tv service with Spectrum and go back to just landline and internet, the customer service person offered a Silver package that has no boxes-streaming only. So, I have internet, landline and streaming TV. Including fees and taxes it is $126 a month. We stream on Roku. We can also watch on Android devices. As part of the package, they sent us a cable card even though I don't want it and have no device that will accept it. My guess is that this allows them to still consider me a cable customer.

Well that price is better. But no DVR - correct?

Our daughter uses Direct TV Now and raves about it. That is one of the other options we are seriously considering. We are AT&T wireless customers and I inquired with AT&T if there was any economic incentive for us as AT&T users to get some sort of discount and there is none now, but we may still go for it, at least to try it. We'd have to buy a device for our Sony 4K smart TV, which is our main viewing TV. The others have ROKU, which works with Direct. I think the basic package is $40 plus $5 for HBO and they do have DVR ( limited though I think to 20 hours in their basic package). I checked and our market has the local market network channel programming. We will have to weigh whether or not it is worth the price, once we know the final cost including taxes and compare it to the $81 we will pay for the cable box with comparable service from Spectrum...... and then determine if the buffering issues are worth the lower price of Direct NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom