Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) 2017 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. We had already pretty much soured on dealing with scheduled programming, so on-demand streaming was a delightful change.

We really watch only a couple hours streaming TV a day. We usually watch 1 hour together. DH an additional hour by himself.

What we stream doesn’t interrupt shows wth commercials....

Our problem is we are news junkies. (There I admitted it:( )

I note that with my OTA into the HD Homerun tuner with access via the Channels app running on Apple TV 4K box, I can simply pause the broadcast show and restart from that point ... simple click for both actions.

I think this is made possible by the Apple TV box ...

If you can "pause," then something is recording. It may (most likely) delete when the program ends or you change channels but the recording is there somewhere... if only momentarily.

(I assume you can "fast-forward" after restarting from "pause." Is that correct?)

Good. Might be option someday although no sports could be a problem for me. Some months I could probably go w/o.
It looks like Philo will work for us until football season starts in August. I'll switch to something that has ESPN at that point, then back to Philo in January.

At least that's the plan for now. The streaming landscape is changing so rapidly my options may be totally different by year end.

Last edited:

First off, that wasn't a review at all. It complained about how large it is and how terrible it is...but gave ZERO specifics about *why* it is so terrible. I think there is some AMZN haters out there (similar to AAPL haters) and this "review" seems like one of them.

I have not used another DVR platform since Dish satellite TV (over 10 years ago) so I can't compare. But, I *can* say that the Amazon Recast has worked exceptionally well for us over the last 3 weeks since we got it. It integrates very well with the Amazon Fire menus and I am impressed. But, since I like the product, I am sure I will be labeled an Amazon "fan boy". :blush:

Cord cutting has been seeing steady growth recently. Now a new study from the Leichtman Research Group says cord cutting growth doubled in 2018 over 2017.

According to Leichtman, cord cutting grew by 2.9 million in 2018. This is nearly double the 1.5 million that cut the cord in 2017.

Now Leichtman Research Group numbers are on the lower end compared to other reports that say in 2018 2.5 million American households cut the cord on cable TV. That would mean that cord cutting more than doubled in 2018.

According to reports, the big five of AT&T, Charter, Comcast, DISH, and Verizon Fios lost 2.4 million subscribers in 2018 with other smaller cable networks making up the remaining subscriber losses.

DISH’s losses are in addition to the 658,000 DIRECTV lost, 36,000 Spectrum lost, 19,000 Comcast lost, and 46,000 Fios lost. These numbers do not even include the losses from smaller cable TV companies like Cox. In total, pay-TV companies lost 2.5 million subscribers in 2018.
https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/cord-cuttings-growth-nearly-doubled-in-2018/

Just a report: we ditched satellite Dish 3 weeks ago and switched to youtubeTV ($40/month although this month is free). We are very satisfied; in our case there are more watchable channels then for 110$/month with Dish (part was the equipment rental); we changed to basic Dish last year for $55/month without ESPN and other sports channels. Dish raising rates again and the dispute with CBS send DW over the edge (most of her TV shows are on CBS for whatever reason).

Important caveat is that we have 100mb internet; there is some slight flicker once in a while upstairs on wifi. I'm going to download the XBox One app for upstairs and see if it makes any difference. Downstairs here in the study it is rock solid on the 65" LCD hooked to a server directly connected to the router.

Admittedly, the computer app's schedule is pretty primitive. Unlimited cloud DVR is pretty nice, though.
Bottom line is we won't be going back to satellite, nor cableTV (probably) barring large price increases that don't also hit cableTV, which I view as not very probable. I do think the price is likely to rise in synch with cable increases over time.

Last edited:
Dawg, we've had Philo for two weeks and had zero problems.

I've had Philo for about a month now and I love it. My Vue subscription had gone up to $50/mo and that was just too much when I had buffering issues and didn't need all the channels in the package.

I've been exploring various streaming options since 2014 and Philo isn't the best, but for the price I'd say it's the best value. The "guide" menu isn't wonderful, I'm a visual person and seeing all the show times exactly the same size (a 1 hour show vs. a 30 mins show should have different size boxes on the guide) bothers my minor OCD but overall I'm content with it. For $20/mo I will adapt.

Between this, the Black Friday 0.99 Hulu, Amazon Prime that's a shared family account and my OTA HD antenna I don't miss anything. I do want to find a DVR for the OTA eventually but can't justify the $150+ for one at the moment. I'm also a news junkie but sitting on the couch from 6-7pm each night rarely fits into my plans.

Last edited:
Important caveat is that we have 100mb internet; there is some slight flicker once in a while upstairs on wifi. I'm going to download the XBox One app for upstairs and see if it makes any difference. Downstairs here in the study it is rock solid on the 65" LCD hooked to a server directly connected to the router.
I’ve read having your router on an upper floor works better than vice versa. Our router is on the second floor (study) and we have no issues with TV on the second (M Bdrm) first (fam room) or even in the basement (exercise). We often have two TVs going, and our internet is only 25 Mbps. Router location seems important?

For the router, we hedge our bets and use a mesh system with 3 points. We use Google Wifi but other mesh routers are in the same class.

If you are going to focus on streaming, look at a router upgrade. You get the 100mb internet, have your streaming package, finish it off by not forgetting about the router part.

Google Wi-Fi is easy to setup and it just works. No more mid-week router reboot or more often.

Just a report: we ditched satellite Dish 3 weeks ago and switched to youtubeTV ($40/month although this month is free). We are very satisfied; in our case there are more watchable channels then for 110$/month with Dish (part was the equipment rental); we changed to basic Dish last year for $55/month without ESPN and other sports channels. Dish raising rates again and the dispute with CBS send DW over the edge (most of her TV shows are on CBS for whatever reason).

Admittedly, the computer app's schedule is pretty primitive. Unlimited cloud DVR is pretty nice, though.
Bottom line is we won't be going back to satellite, nor cableTV (probably) barring large price increases that don't also hit cableTV, which I view as not very probable. I do think the price is likely to rise in synch with cable increases over time.

There is a free Firefox add-on called Easy YouTube Video Downloader. It adds a clickable DL button that allows you to DL and save videos anywhere. I save videos to a thumb drive that I connect to the USB port of my Blu-Ray player to watch later on my big TV. (There is no "flicker" and no ads and the video looks like any other TV program--up to 1040 HD.) Would you be able to use that with you YouTubeTV subscription?

we upgraded our router Eero mesh system, 2 nodes, 2 months ago. It has been rock solid. Now get >100MBPS in upstairs master bdrm where we got 2MBPS before.

It's been 2.5 years since I cut dish, $75/month. I subscribe to Netflix, Youtube, and another site (for golf channel and others) for total of $30/month. There is no way back unless the cord is virtually free.

I subscribe to Netflix, Youtube, and another site (for golf channel and others) for total of $30/month.

Can you break down what you are paying to each to get to just $30/mo? I haven't been able to find anything that included the Golf Channel that would be that cheap including Netflix.

I am surviving on just my LTE/4G signal with an antenna and an inside signal booster for all my internet needs. I can stream fine almost all the time. I do YoutubeTV - it has as much sports as I want + Golf Channel + I like having access to local broadcasts occasionally. We also enjoy the Amazon Prime streaming options.

I work from home during the week and it works fine. I find bandwidth and latency problems most often on weekend nights when the Netflix monster is unleashed.

We have much less TV time which is another side benefit.

We just cut the cord. Decided to go with a Roku device (Streaming Stick+) and DirecTV NOW. We got one step above their basic package and also signed up for the basic package from another streaming service.

So far it’s all good. I did need to upgrade my router to a mesh system. The signal was not quite strong enough at one end of the house. Checked a lot of reviews on Wirecutter, Amazon, and other sites and ultimately chose the Orbi system from Netgear. Setup was a breeze. The WiFi signal is now excellent across my house.

The only issue I’m having is with the Roku enhanced remote on one of my TVs. It only controls the volume, not the power. Have enabled the HDMI CEC, have tried all the other setup codes in the Roku, but no dice. So I have to use the actual TV remote to power on/off that particular TV.

That issue aside, my monthly bill before was a little over $200. Now it’s a little over $100 a month. We now have only the channels we really care about and the service so far is great...

Just ordered one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Re...,stripbooks-intl-ship,203&sr=8-21-spons&psc=1

Have two of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Inteset-Univ...teway&sprefix=streaming+remote,aps,196&sr=8-3

I have had the second for about a year. One of the best multi use remote I have had. Just about every button it is learning capable.

The first is a new order. I got it to simplify control for DW. (too many buttons on the second). I need two power buttons, one for TV one for audio. I also like the small size of the Roku remote, and use on on two other TV's.

Cut the cord a year ago. I use YouTube TV, $35. (still grandfathered). I run on 12m dsl internet which is closer to 8 most of the time. Normally have one TV and two ipads going at the same time. Buffering normally shows up on the late night news.

Last edited:
Hi all - any advice welcome!

I’m switching from cox cable to Verizon Fios internet only. I’m renting a router from them - that way they will be responsible if it doesn’t work. I have a smart tv (internet enabled) and blu-Ray player. I have amazon prime and Netflix. What’s the best way for me to get cnn, msnbc, pbs? Do I need Roku or fire stick? I don’t think I do, since can access WiFi through the tv. TIA

Deborah, many "smart" TV's aren't really all that smart. The built-in streaming interfaces can be slow, clunky, not supported/updated and somewhat difficult to use. I recommend getting a Roku or Fire stick for a better streaming experience.

FYI, DirecTV Now is about to jack up their prices by $10/month. Glad I have Sling!

I’m switching from cox cable to Verizon Fios internet only. I’m renting a router from them - that way they will be responsible if it doesn’t work. I have a smart tv (internet enabled) and blu-Ray player. I have amazon prime and Netflix. What’s the best way for me to get cnn, msnbc, pbs? Do I need Roku or fire stick? I don’t think I do, since can access WiFi through the tv. TIA

If your reason for 'cutting the cable' is to save money then I would purchase any needed router/modem rather then lease it, they aren't that difficult to setup, fairly reliable, and will probably payoff in less than a year. I have an LG OLED TV and prefer using it's smart TV interface with Amazon Prime rather than the Fire Stick but it can vary by TV.

See what if any network apps are available on your smart TV. I doubt CNN, MSNBC or PBS are, but it costs nothing to look. You may be able to get PBS live with an antenna depending on where you live. You’re probably going to need a Roku, Amazon Fire, Apple TV or Chromecast to get the other networks. You might even need Sling TV, Hulu Live, PlayStation Vue, YouTube TV, DirecTV Now, Pluto or something similar. In terms of experience and choice, you get what you pay for as usual...but far less than cable or satellite if you have internet access regardless.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom