Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) 2017 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gosh; There is so much to absorb in this universe of alternative options to watch content. I can hardly keep track of it all. This one looks very intriguing. I just downloaded it . I haven't purchased the paid version yet, but may very do so.

I have used Playon since I retired in 2014. It gets frequent updates when channels stop working. At the start of every season, it seems like Hulu and CBS.com makes changes that mess things up for a few days to a week, but then things settle down.

Some people use Playon to record and Plex to distribute the video to various devices like Roku, android tablet, etc. Plex has a more aesthetically pleasing interface. Personally, I don't use Plex. The Playon interface is not flashy, but it works, so I consider it good enough. Currently, Playon only records in up to 720p. They don't seem to have any plans to increase this. It's a common question on the playon reddit.

Unless someone needs a DVR now, Playon has a deal on its lifetime version pretty regularly. I picked up my lifetime subscription for $19.99 a few months ago.

Unless someone needs a DVR now, Playon has a deal on its lifetime version pretty regularly. I picked up my lifetime subscription for $19.99 a few months ago.

I downloaded the free version and am now getting emails with a $50 off coupon, which would bring it down to the same price, I think. However my laptop is a MacBook Air and the site is telling me that it only works on a PC. I also have an ipad and an iphone, but neither have much capacity left. I have one Sony Smart TV that is the main viewing TV. I am not home at present so will check to see if the app is on the Sony when I return. If not I could add a ROKU stick to it. I must admit though that I don't quite understand how it works. Are those channels mentioned on the PlayOn website streaming for free? Or is this just an app for creating a library of DVR programming from streaming that one already has subscribed to, like Direct TV Now? If one has cable does this app work with the cable programming that one has access to?

Last edited:
The Playon app will only get programs on a delayed basis available "free" such as the major networks. If you want shows from subscription sites you will still need to have login access to those such as netflix, HBO, etc

Also the purchase of a playon license such as the lifetime option simply allows you to "record" programs to a DVR, ie your PC hard drive. If you want to record to the cloud you must purchase the cloud recording package separately.

Last edited:
Using Suppose https://www.suppose.tv I typed in Golf Channel but the cheapest platform was sling blue + sports extra for $35/mo

For golf channel fans I can recommend Hulu...includes ESPN, FS1 and Golf channel. 50 hours of DVD and enough of a streaming library that we cancelled Netflix...between 44 and 50 depending on how many commercials you want to watch.. they just raised the price so this price should be good for a little while.

For golf channel fans I can recommend Hulu...includes ESPN, FS1 and Golf channel. 50 hours of DVD and enough of a streaming library that we cancelled Netflix...between 44 and 50 depending on how many commercials you want to watch.. they just raised the price so this price should be good for a little while.
We have the PS Vue Core package for $50/mo and it includes 17 sports channels including Golf, several ESPNs, NBCSN, CBSSN, FS1/2, and many others. Just another option.

I haven't read this thread (just a quick scan) but just wanted to add our experience in case it's helpful:

We were paying $118 for DirectTV, and tested YouTubeTV for $45 a month (this is not the free YouTube, it includes lots of the broadcast channels including GOLF, which someone above asked about). When I called DTV to cancel, they matched the $45 charge for a year. Since we had a full DTV box of stuff to watch, we accepted. If you do this, you have to be ready to actually quit - not just ask for a lower price.

Recently, when the year was up, we switched to YouTubeTV and have not regretted it.

YouTubeTV comes with UNlimited storage in the cloud, unlike Direct TV's streaming service which is very limited (10 hours I think).

We have two TVs, so bought Roku and AppleTV boxes to compare how access to the apps work. After a week, we found AppleTV superior. For one, it's easier to fast forward through ads, and it seems to load stuff faster too. And they have a Home page that consolidates the "last watched" shows in one place (no more "which app had that show I was watching last night?"). Also, the Motortrend app my DH likes is broken on Roku. (It was a surprise that the apps function so differently on Roku vs. Apple.)

We also had an old iPad lying around, and added the AppleTV Remote app to it, so now it can serve as a larger remote (the real remote is very small and fiddly).

We stream these apps: YouTubeTV, AcornTV, Britbox, Amazon Prime, Motortrend, and PBS Passport. Still no Netflix...no time to watch anything else!

Last edited:
We have the PS Vue Core package for $50/mo and it includes 17 sports channels including Golf, several ESPNs, NBCSN, CBSSN, FS1/2, and many others. Just another option.

I think the core pricing is getting pretty competitive and that 45-50 number will probably be the low bar. I think Hulu has all those sports channels too. The tricky thing with Sling is one package offers Fox and the other offers ESPN...if you want Fox and ESPN with golf channel it's definitely not the cheapest.

I can live without ESPN but for cheaper or the same price I'll watch it once in awhile.

Mods this thread is getting really long its almost 2 years old? Any chance it could get opened anew with a streaming options for 2019 title. In today streaming world, info from 2 year ago is not useful.

Last edited:
I haven't read this thread (just a quick scan) but just wanted to add our experience in case it's helpful:

We were paying $118 for DirectTV, and tested YouTubeTV for $45 a month (this is not the free YouTube, it includes lots of the broadcast channels including GOLF, which someone above asked about). When I called DTV to cancel, they matched the $45 charge for a year. Since we had a full DTV box of stuff to watch, we accepted. If you do this, you have to be ready to actually quit - not just ask for a lower price.

Recently, when the year was up, we switched to YouTubeTV and have not regretted it.

YouTubeTV comes with UNlimited storage in the cloud, unlike Direct TV's streaming service which is very limited (10 hours I think).

We have two TVs, so bought Roku and AppleTV boxes to compare how access to the apps work. After a week, we found AppleTV superior. For one, it's easier to fast forward through ads, and it seems to load stuff faster too. And they have a Home page that consolidates the "last watched" shows in one place (no more "which app had that show I was watching last night?"). Also, the Motortrend app my DH likes is broken on Roku. (It was a surprise that the apps function so differently on Roku vs. Apple.)

We also had an old iPad lying around, and added the AppleTV Remote app to it, so now it can serve as a larger remote (the real remote is very small and fiddly).

We stream these apps: YouTubeTV, AcornTV, Britbox, Amazon Prime, Motortrend, and PBS Passport. Still no Netflix...no time to watch anything else!
+1 My discount which drops me to $42.80/month expires in July. Hoping to get the same again, but guessing it won't happen.

Did they try at all to keep the price before or after your cancellation? (I always schedule cancel a couple of weeks before. This seems to generate a last minute offer to keep me onboard).

Direct TV Now raises prices by $10 and eliminates channels in their now more expensive packages.

They also raised prices in July 2018.

So much for cost savings and pro-consumer AT&T mergers.

+1 My discount which drops me to $42.80/month expires in July. Hoping to get the same again, but guessing it won't happen.

Did they try at all to keep the price before or after your cancellation? (I always schedule cancel a couple of weeks before. This seems to generate a last minute offer to keep me onboard).
I had Dish Network satellite and they dropped me to $43.85/mo for 6 months, and then another 6 months when I told them to cancel me again. But after a year, they wouldn't offer the same discount and they wanted me to sign up for a 2 year contract. That was 14 months ago, haven't missed them at all and we've saved over $500 (including buying Roku's) since, without sacrificing anything.

Like others have said, until you tell them you want to cancel (and are ready to follow through), you won't get the big discounts. Threatening or bargaining won't budge them IME.

Direct TV Now raises prices by $10 and eliminates channels in their now more expensive packages.

Oh yes, from the argument by AT&T...
Rather, the evidence overwhelmingly showed that this merger is likely to enhance competition substantially, because it will enable the merged company to reduce prices, offer innovative video products, and compete more effectively against the increasingly powerful, vertically integrated “FAANG”

https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.dcd.191339/gov.uscourts.dcd.191339.121.0_1.pdf

For the life of me, I have never been able to justify cutting the cable for us (primarily my wife) from a cost standpoint. By the time an Internet service is paid for, an antenna or two added to pick up OTA stations, enough other services to pick up the extra channels my wife likes (ID, Travel, Destination America, etc), plus a DVR capability, there isn't much savings.

If it were just me, I would gut most of the needed TV channels plus probably wouldn't require a DVR. But for my wife, this is a no-go.

As soon as someone comes up with an ala carte service for any channel we might want, sign us up.

For the life of me, I have never been able to justify cutting the cable for us (primarily my wife) from a cost standpoint. By the time an Internet service is paid for...

You don't already pay for an internet service?

Did you check out the cost of the channels you want using Suppose.tv? Note that almost all those services include a "cloud" DVR.

Last edited:
You don't already pay for an internet service?
Oh sure. But in most cases, the cost of Internet service goes up if you aren't also subscribed to TV service, or at a minimum there aren't promos for Internet only service.

Did you check out the cost of the channels you want using Suppose.tv? Note that almost all those services include a "cloud" DVR.
Yes, I did. For us, the best recommendation to ensure the channels my wife wants is DirecTV, at least from their web site. By the time we add 3+ services together to get all of her channels, we're within $10 or so of our current monthly cost.

As I indicated, my wife is not a good candidate for cable cutting, at least from ease of use. I would be, but I also watch a lot less TV than my wife.

Last edited:
Oh sure. But in most cases, the cost of Internet service goes up if you aren't also subscribed to TV service, or at a minimum there aren't promos for Internet only service.

You might want to shop around when you get to your new house. Things are changing rapidly in the streaming landscape.

... As soon as someone comes up with an ala carte service for any channel we might want, sign us up.

If Spectrum is your ISP, you might take a look at Spectrum Choice... going from memory you get your locals plus you pick up tp 10 other channels from a fairly comprehensive list for $25/month.... but no DVR.

Yep, I just saw an article about this very thing. Here's a snippet.

When DirecTV Now launched in 2016, it offered more than 100 live streaming channels for $35 per month. Prices have been steadily increasing since. When these new changes go into effect, the company will offer DirecTV Now Plus at $50 per month for 40-plus channels and DirectTV Now Max at $70 per month for 50-plus channels. So not only will you be paying more, you'll be getting less.

The full article: https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/11/att-directv-now-streaming-tv-price-increase/

I imagine we'll be seeing more of this from the streaming TV providers, reducing the price delta between streaming and cable/satellite TV services.

It might change some day, but the monthly cost of our internet service hasn't changed at all so far (14 months) since we dropped Dish - in fact Comcast increased our connection speed without an upcharge. You might want to check and make sure.

We went to AT&T today and got cell service, direct tv and internet for 160/month. Half of what we were paying because husband is a veteran. It’s a new deal.

For the life of me, I have never been able to justify cutting the cable for us (primarily my wife) from a cost standpoint.
I do think that there is a lot of hand-waving and turning a blind eye in the defenses for cutting the cord. Having said that, there is an early adopter advantage to be had for those who choose to capitalize on it. I've started pricing out cable at where we hope to move, and Internet service comparable to what we have now would run $75 plus taxes and fees - so basically about $90. For $90 (plus taxes and fees) you could have basic cable with that. The incrementals go up from there, each upgrade costing roughly the taxes and fees of the previous service level. But let's stick with that $90, and put one $12-$20 service at a time on top of it. That's less than $120/month all-in. You lose the convenience of choosing from content available from multiple sources at the same time, but is that a big deal? You do lose some other things, but for money people are generally willing to adjust.

For me, cord cutting would mean that I would lose my TiVo and that's currently unacceptable to me - I am not willing to adjust to a non-TiVo experience - which is why I won't cut the cord.

If Spectrum is your ISP, you might take a look at Spectrum Choice... going from memory you get your locals plus you pick up tp 10 other channels from a fairly comprehensive list for $25/month.... but no DVR.
No "Spectrum Choice" option... "TV Select + Internet" is $89.98/mo plus taxes and fees.

Here are all the currently-available, new service (only) offers:

attachment.php

Attachments

• SpectrumOffers.JPG
    SpectrumOffers.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 171
No "Spectrum Choice" option...
The Spectrum website is designed to upsell to Select TV. Spectrum Choice and Spectrum Stream are unpublished plans.

Choice and Stream plan comparison: https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/spectrum-tv-stream/

Spectrum Choice channels: https://www.spectrumchoicechannels.com/

Later this month, Spectrum will launch a third option called TV Essentials for $14.99 with no local channels and no sports channels. It is to compete with the Philo $16 and $20 plans. https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/spectrum-is-launching-a-14-99-a-month-live-tv-streaming-service/

I worked in the industry for 24 years. Every cable operator has to, by law, offer a very basic package that includes off air channels, and the access channels (i.e. public access). You'll have to ask for the most basic package, and may have to ask for a supervisor. I once had a rep tell me that I "had to ask a certain way" to get that package, which of course is BS.
https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/regulation-cable-tv-rates

Last edited:
For the life of me, I have never been able to justify cutting the cable for us (primarily my wife) from a cost standpoint. By the time an Internet service is paid for, an antenna or two added to pick up OTA stations, enough other services to pick up the extra channels my wife likes (ID, Travel, Destination America, etc), plus a DVR capability, there isn't much savings.

If it were just me, I would gut most of the needed TV channels plus probably wouldn't require a DVR. But for my wife, this is a no-go.

As soon as someone comes up with an ala carte service for any channel we might want, sign us up.

Philo has the channels you mention in their $20 per mo. package of 57 channels plus Cloud DVR service that retains programs for 30 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom