Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) - 2021 version

Well, I agree.

But you forgot one thing. Traditional cable people are getting swept up into the mess too. There's no escaping this madness.

For example: want to watch Star Trek: Discovery? Gotta sign up and pay for CBS All Access and stream. Want to watch the full complement of shows on Discovery networks? Now you have to sign up and pay for Discovery+ to see what used to be included on the linear cable distribution. Mandalorian on Disney cable? Nope.

Insanity!

Sure, but it's a lot easier to add/drop streaming subscriptions...many can also be shared between multiple people...compare that to the cable company experience:

Taking all your equipment (or requiring your physically return it) and often actually severing the cable line when you cancel, also imposing a hefty fee plus scheduling a truck roll to reconnect.

Want to watch the full complement of shows on Discovery networks? Now you have to sign up and pay for Discovery+ to see what used to be included on the linear cable distribution.
Yep. I'm sure it's in the small print somewhere that this is allowed, but we already pay for an upgraded Uverse package that includes all of the Discovery family of channels, and yet we still can't see all of their new shows (DW found this out last night for a new show she currently can't view). We also can't stream them from their various, individual websites. And we can't bolt from Uverse because the promo continues into November 2021 and it has a sizable early cancellation cost. Frustrating.

Last edited:
News flash! This isn't necessarily good news or bad news. Just news. OK, probably mostly bad...

This morning AT&T announced that they are sunsetting AT&T TV NOW (formerly Direct TV Now) and are directing all new AT&T TV NOW customers to AT&T TV. The old NOW customers will eventually be moved, but are currently in some sort of grandfather situation. AFIAK, Uverse is still going along without changes, but for how

AT&T (as a company) mystifies me. Their operations seem incoherent at best. Maybe they need some nap time to settle down.

Yep. I'm sure it's in the small print somewhere that this is allowed, but we already pay for an upgraded Uverse package that includes all of the Discovery family of channels, and yet we still can't see all of their new shows (DW found this out last night for a new show she currently can't view). We also can't stream them from their various, individual websites. And we can't bolt from Uverse because the promo continues into November 2021 and it has a sizable early cancellation cost. Frustrating.
Statsman: bolting wouldn't help anyway. If you just sign up for Discovery+, you miss the portion they'll play on Uverse! They've split up the content to "encourage" you to get both.

This is bogus. (I wanted to use another word.)

I have not had any tv subscription, or spent much time watching anything in front of the TV for the past ~10 yrs (can't remember precisely how long). I even replaced the Trinitron wega tv with a flat panel in the living room thinking it may help me to use it more back in 2018.

Soon after getting the LCD tv, I bought a roku express and just used mainly the roku / DUST / PBS channels. Its media player channel for playing upnp content over LAN was a good feature. There were some free trial subscriptions like CBS All Access I signed up for some series (e.g. Star Trek) and the discontinue it after the free period ended. The subscription is just a waste if I don't spend time using it. And most of the stuff is the same. Web surfing / youtube (no subscription) simply gives more different content.

I don't really see the attractiveness with media subscriptions now except perhaps to reduce / eliminate annoying ads, if I do choose to spend more time watching their content.

Some people like TV. Some like books. Some like hiking. If you don't watch TV, don't sign up. That simple.

I think it only gets super complicated if you’re a big sports fan. For us, it’s easy and still boils down to Roku, cheap sling service for news channels, cheap internet service and whatever ‘extra’ channel we’re watching.

We have Netflix and video through Amazon prime, so I use amazon to manage any extra channels we want to watch. Super easy to start and stop subscriptions all in one place.

Last edited:
I have been slowly cutting the cord over the last 2 years. First I got rid of cable (we do not watch any sports) and opted for Spectrum's streaming service with ~30 channels and local channels. Reduced cable bill from $170 to $95.

Over the last 2 years the cable bill has slowly crept up and now is $111 per month. My wife is retiring end of this month and I thought it's time to go over all bills to see if I can reduce them as I haven't done that in awhile.

I realized that I never watch cable. I haven't opened the Spectrum app in at least a year. I watch Netflix, Amazon Prime and Tubi. My DD suggested checking out Discovery + as it has the shows that Mom watches on the Spectrum app. Hmmmm.

Discussed with DW and said I can get a 7 days free on Discovery + and let me know if it is acceptable. It is $4.99 a month with commercials. She watched it for a couple of days and said it was only missing one show but there are lots of other shows she could watch and it was fine.

Called Spectrum and cancelled their streaming service and local channels. Boom, bill went from $111 to $72 for internet only. Yearly savings of ~$404 including the addition of Discovery + costs.

After this was done we no longer had access to local channels so I started looking for an antenna. After researching reviews one person stated they gently used a paper clip and it gave them 32 channels. I thought that was so funny. So I gently used a paper clip and boom got 17 digital channels of which all the majors are there. These channels came in better than the cable did.

So we saved $404 a year for essentially no change. Wow. I'm sure I could get more channels if I actually got an antenna but heck the paper clip works just fine for now.

I usually save 20 to 30% on my Netflix bill buying discounted gift cards.

Next up is our $70 a month mobile phone bill.

Kevin

Last edited:
After this was done we no longer had access to local channels so I started looking for an antenna. After researching reviews one person stated they gently used a paper clip and it gave them 32 channels. I thought that was so funny. So I gently used a paper clip and boom got 17 digital channels of which all the majors are there. These channels came in better than the cable did.

So we saved $404 a year for essentially no change. Wow. I'm sure I could get more channels if I actually got an antenna but heck the paper clip works just fine for now.

That’s great (and funny). I hope you try an antenna. Around here (major market Raleigh-Durham) we get around 50 crystal clear HD broadcast channels. Well worth the antenna cost (I use a flat indoor one).

That’s great (and funny). I hope you try an antenna. Around here (major market Raleigh-Durham) we get around 50 crystal clear HD broadcast channels. Well worth the antenna cost (I use a flat indoor one).
Funny, I live in Raleigh. What brand antenna are you using?

Last edited:
I have been slowly cutting the cord over the last 2 years. First I got rid of cable (we do not watch any sports) and opted for Spectrum's streaming service with ~30 channels and local channels. Reduced cable bill from $170 to $95.

Over the last 2 years the cable bill has slowly crept up and now is $111 per month. My wife is retiring end of this month and I thought it's time to go over all bills to see if I can reduce them as I haven't done that in awhile.

I realized that I never watch cable. I haven't opened the Spectrum app in at least a year. I watch Netflix, Amazon Prime and Tubi. My DD suggested checking out Discovery + as it has the shows that Mom watches on the Spectrum app. Hmmmm.

Discussed with DW and said I can get a 7 days free on Discovery + and let me know if it is acceptable. It is $4.99 a month with commercials. She watched it for a couple of days and said it was only missing one show but there are lots of other shows she could watch and it was fine.

Called Spectrum and cancelled their streaming service and local channels. Boom, bill went from $111 to $72 for internet only. Yearly savings of ~$404 including the addition of Discovery + costs.

I usually save 20 to 30% on my Netflix bill buying discounted gift cards.

Next up is our $70 a month mobile phone bill.

Kevin
Lots of ways to save on your cellphone. We have many threads on that subject, here is the most recent one that I could find or just start a new thread and we all chip in.

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...es-106729.html

Funny, I live in Raleigh. What brand antenna are you using?

I live west of you (Chatham County). antennaweb.org can show you tower locations.

I bought my antenna in 2015 based on a recommendation right here at e-r.org. It’s an Amazon Basics 50 mile amplified. I actually bought 3, one I gave to a great bartender, another’s set aside and the last I use. It’s oriented by a first floor window facing east.

I live west of you (Chatham County). antennaweb.org can show you tower locations.

I bought my antenna in 2015 based on a recommendation right here at e-r.org. It’s an Amazon Basics 50 mile amplified. I actually bought 3, one I gave to a great bartender, another’s set aside and the last I use. It’s oriented by a first floor window facing east.
Thanks. I looked on Amazon. Seems to be a wide variety with good ratings. I do plan on getting an antenna.

Just got a kick out of using a paper clip.

Once you get the antenna then consider an OTA DVR. If you are a Fire TV Stick household then check out the Fire TV Recast.

We switched to T-Mobile internet last week. Spectrum raised my monthly rate AGAIN by another $5 so it was now $74.99. T-Mobile is $50 per month with no data cap. Spectrum (Charter) had no data cap but I assumed that was coming soon. The setup was a bit painful but the signal has been adequate and reliable even though I only have 3 out of 5 bars lit on my gateway.

T-Mobile sent a NOKIA gateway that I set up. I didn't realize how many things we had connected to the internet. Light bulbs controlled by voice via Alexa (11), Alexa devices (Taps, Show, multiple Echo's), thermostats (2), Ring door bell, Ring Floodlight cam, Ring security system, tablets, Sonos speakers, chromebook, TV's, and phones. The light bulbs only do 2.4 GHz which is why it was important that I be able to identify and label the 2.4GHz channel as such.

Actually, I had to do the setup twice because there is something funky going on with the T-Mobile internet setup app. We (tech support and I) thought it was a gateway issue so they sent me a new one but it wasn't an issue with the gateway. They recommend you set up the gateway with the app but it really isn't possible to do it right without a laptop and a cat 5 cable.

I now have a 2.4 GHz channel and two 5 GHz channels with the gateway. All 3 initially start with the same name and there is no way to properly rename them on the app. T-Mobile tech support thinks I should only have one 5GHz channel but I can see two. The gateway I received just began shipping on Jan 6th so T-Mobile internet tech support isn't really up to speed on the new device. The gateway I received seems much nicer than their initial one but it's a little painful right now because the reps I spoke to have never seen one. I worked with the tech support guy for about 2 hours setting up the second gateway and making it do weird things on purpose, such as the system renaming all 3 channels when I was only attempting to rename one. He and I both learned a lot about the system and he said he would be passing along the info to the other support folks.

It was really quite a goat rope to get everything set up (twice) but it's worth going through the setup pain because I despise Spectrum. When I called to cancel, the guy said he would get me a better price. I mentioned he should be able to see my prior complaining calls which he said he did. I said it's too late and I wouldn't stay with them even if he gave me internet service for free! I told him this latest price increase was not going to be generating any additional revenue for Spectrum. I am so done with them. I definitely did the happy dance in the Spectrum lobby when I dropped off my modem (and got my receipt to prove it had been dropped off when they later try to charge me for it).

I just did a speed test at speedtest.net and my ping was 33 ms, 75 Mbs download and 34 Mbps upload. I haven't done a test for a few days but I think it was about half those upload/download speeds during the day. Plenty for our uses!

We switched to T-Mobile internet last week. Spectrum raised my monthly rate AGAIN by another $5 so it was now $74.99. T-Mobile is $50 per month with no data cap. Spectrum (Charter) had no data cap but I assumed that was coming soon. The setup was a bit painful but the signal has been adequate and reliable even though I only have 3 out of 5 bars lit on my gateway.

T-Mobile sent a NOKIA gateway that I set up. I didn't realize how many things we had connected to the internet. Light bulbs controlled by voice via Alexa (11), Alexa devices (Taps, Show, multiple Echo's), thermostats (2), Ring door bell, Ring Floodlight cam, Ring security system, tablets, Sonos speakers, chromebook, TV's, and phones. The light bulbs only do 2.4 GHz which is why it was important that I be able to identify and label the 2.4GHz channel as such.

Actually, I had to do the setup twice because there is something funky going on with the T-Mobile internet setup app. We (tech support and I) thought it was a gateway issue so they sent me a new one but it wasn't an issue with the gateway. They recommend you set up the gateway with the app but it really isn't possible to do it right without a laptop and a cat 5 cable.

I now have a 2.4 GHz channel and two 5 GHz channels with the gateway. All 3 initially start with the same name and there is no way to properly rename them on the app. T-Mobile tech support thinks I should only have one 5GHz channel but I can see two. The gateway I received just began shipping on Jan 6th so T-Mobile internet tech support isn't really up to speed on the new device. The gateway I received seems much nicer than their initial one but it's a little painful right now because the reps I spoke to have never seen one. I worked with the tech support guy for about 2 hours setting up the second gateway and making it do weird things on purpose, such as the system renaming all 3 channels when I was only attempting to rename one. He and I both learned a lot about the system and he said he would be passing along the info to the other support folks.

It was really quite a goat rope to get everything set up (twice) but it's worth going through the setup pain because I despise Spectrum. When I called to cancel, the guy said he would get me a better price. I mentioned he should be able to see my prior complaining calls which he said he did. I said it's too late and I wouldn't stay with them even if he gave me internet service for free! I told him this latest price increase was not going to be generating any additional revenue for Spectrum. I am so done with them. I definitely did the happy dance in the Spectrum lobby when I dropped off my modem (and got my receipt to prove it had been dropped off when they later try to charge me for it).

I just did a speed test at speedtest.net and my ping was 33 ms, 75 Mbs download and 34 Mbps upload. I haven't done a test for a few days but I think it was about half those upload/download speeds during the day. Plenty for our uses!

Is t mobile providing hard wired internet service in your area, or is this through a cellular modem?

We have the option of spectrum or cox and we’re doing the happy dance last summer when we were able to kill cox and switch to spectrum, so it’s all dependent on your last experience! :)

Back
Top Bottom