Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) - 2021 version

Word of caution on renewing streaming services and using coupons.

I subscribed to Brit Box during a promotion in 2022 for $.99 a month. The usual price at the time was $6.99 a month (I think.) I put a tickler note in my calendar 11 months in the future to cancel Brit Box so I can cancel it, stopping it from auto-renewing and so I don't pay the $6.99 a month. When I went to cancel my subscription there was a coupon to extend my subscription for another year at $2.99 a month. The regular prices was $7.99 a month. I really enjoy Brit Box so I went for it. I used the coupon and renewed for another year, again putting a tickler in my calendar 11 months hence.

OK, now it's March 2024 and my subscription is coming up for renewal. Lo and behold, there is a renewal special. By using the coupon code SPRING I could once again renew for $2.99 a month. I figured OK, used the coupon and renewed.

A week or so later I'm looking at my checking account statement and I see an entry for Brit Box for $98.11. What?! I got on a chat with their support people and they told me the coupon SPRING was invalid because it was used in March 2023, the previous year. I asked them why that coupon was available to me and why it was presented as if it was a valid coupon. I was stonewalled and told to read the Terms of Service.

I then decided to cancel and get a pro-rated refund. I was told they would "review my request for cancellation." Dumbfounded, I asked them what that meant? Answer: "The outcome may vary depending on the criteria and expectations." I was again told to read the Terms of Service. Basically the TOS says that you can cancel your subscription any time up to the date of renewal but if it renews there will be no refunds.

Apparently, if I were to cancel my subscription I would not get a refund. So I got Brit Box for another year. I got a tickler in my calendar again for next time.
Just dispute the charge on your debit card assuming you have an e-mail showing the lesser amount when you renewed. That should take care of it easily.

Okay, I thought I did get an e-mail or receipt but I always screenshot the deal when paying to avoid any issues. I think the last Britbox deal was worded for new and returning customers only so if you'd used a different e-mail address it would have worked but since you were an active subscriber it didn't. Last year I cancelled my existing Black Friday Hulu/Disney in August or September so I could qualify for the next BF deal without having to play the different e-mail address game.

I got a tickler in my calendar again for next time.
Any time I sign up for a deal on any subscription, I always put a reminder in my calendar right away so I don’t get burned. Usually it’s just a month at the standard rate. An entire year would be very upsetting. Still, everyone needs to be careful. I feel like their business model relies on subscribers forgetting to cancel and they make their money off the auto renewals - even if it’s just for a month. Should be illegal. It should take a positive action at the time of renewal to be able to charge the cc again.

Please elaborate. How do you get a virtual cc?
Capital One offers a service they call UNO. It can generate a virtual card number that is unique and can only be used with one orgsnization. I can delete or lock the card at will. Even schedule a lock for the future. All virtual card charges show up on the same bill with the physical card charges. EZPZ.

I had a promotional subscription with BritBox last year, also renewed at a promotional rate, and chose to discontinue when the promo rate ended. No issues, and in. my case they were clear on the pricing upfront.

I use a virtual Cc to pay for subscriptions. Then I lock it or delete it.
That may work in many cases. It didn’t for my mum’s newspaper subscription. They just kept delivering, charged an outrageous sum for delivery, then turned the unpaid bill over to a collection agency after 1 month. I spoke with them on the phone 3 times and it was very clear this was their business model.

I disputed the charge with the state Attorney General office and was told the charges were legitimate and DM was obligated to pay.

It can get so complicated. I’m glad I dropped several subscriptions and went back to my most basic set. We just don’t stream enough to bother with more than 3.

Back
Top Bottom