Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-29-2019, 11:13 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Most of us would not pay for things that we get no value from, so good for the OP in realizing that.

As someone who loves TV in the evening, I'd have Prime just for that value. I love that you can easily add and end trials of Acorn, HBO, etc. at will to it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2019, 11:39 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have the slightly “opposite” problem with Amzn Prime - they make it way too easy to spend (waste) money.

I live less than an hour from one of their fulfillment centers and I get one-day, sometimes same-day, delivery. It’s so easy to click that “buy” button and have stuff show up a couple of hours later that I’ve decided to cancel my Prime subscription in order to rid myself of the temptation to make impulse purchases of stuff I don’t really need.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:42 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's funny! Get thee behind me, Bezos!

Actually it's hard to get away from Sata - I mean Bezos. I just spent $40 for a year's digital subscription to the WaPo, which of course he owns. If the price goes up next year, it's history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
I have the slightly “opposite” problem with Amzn Prime - they make it way too easy to spend (waste) money.

I live less than an hour from one of their fulfillment centers and I get one-day, sometimes same-day, delivery. It’s so easy to click that “buy” button and have stuff show up a couple of hours later that I’ve decided to cancel my Prime subscription in order to rid myself of the temptation to make impulse purchases of stuff I don’t really need.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:55 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Contrarian viewpoint: I LOVE AMAZON PRIME!!!

I have Amazon Prime strictly for the shipping. I get a huge charge out of the faster delivery it offers (even if it isn't always within 2 days). I also have Prime Pantry and get my non-perishable grocery items delivered to my front door that way, with zero cost for shipping.

Honestly I don't even know if it pays off for me or not. But Prime is something that (for whatever reason) makes me feel very happy! I love the near-instant gratification whether I need the item right away or not. I also love all the 5% rewards I get from my Amazon Visa card when purchasing on Amazon, which means a lot of my purchases end up being free.

So to me, it's a huge value and the very first thing I want to Blow That Dough on. Does it have to make sense? Not really since I still get a lot of glee from having something show up on my doorstep relatively quickly, sometimes even free.

Joy is where you find it. If y'all can get your joy standing in a horrible, endless TSA line for a long, miserable flight in a narrow seat in a "cattle car" with screaming babies, coughing/sneezing sick people, etc to get to a crowded and expensive destination abroad where sometimes there is little to nothing to do but take photos and then fly home, then I can get mine from Amazon Prime which hardly costs anything compared with travel.

As you all know, I don't really watch much TV any more so I almost never use Amazon Prime Video. I also never use Prime Music or any of the other features of Amazon Prime. I just get it for the shipping alone. Also I get Prime Pantry but now that costs an extra $5.45/month over and above the payments for Prime. Blow That Dough!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:00 PM   #25

I get about half the annual fee back through the cash-back visa, and I save a bundle with free shipping, since I am constantly ordering books and other stuff off amazon. The faster shipping speed is a nice bonus, although you're right that it isn't always 2 days. Although I blanched a little when they raised the price, I ran the numbers, and it's still worth it for me. If it goes up again, I might have to reconsider.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:55 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

How long have you folks been doing Prime?? I started in early 2000; I think it cost about 60 bucks/year. I figured that I would break even buying something monthly.

Now i'm paying $119/year and DW and I order maybe half a dozen things each week, almost all with "free" 2 day or faster shipping. Honestly, I do it, as I have for years, just for the cheap shipping. These days though, Prime streaming is actually worth watching in it's own right. I feel I get tons of value from it.

I think it's funny some folks are up in arms about the rising price of Prime membership. I get it, though, if you buy infrequently and don't stream Prime movies. For us, Prime is one of our better deals. I wish I had such a good deal from one of the Big 4 cell services or the Terrible 2 cable providers here.

As someone mentioned, though, Amazon is no longer automatically the best price, although it's rarely the worst one. I've been playing with E-bay for very expensive stuff or cheap consumables that are NOT likely to be returned. Many offer free shipping, albiet, several days instead of 2 days.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:44 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
How long have you folks been doing Prime?? I started in early 2000; I think it cost about 60 bucks/year. I figured that I would break even buying something monthly.

Now i'm paying $119/year and DW and I order maybe half a dozen things each week, almost all with "free" 2 day or faster shipping. Honestly, I do it, as I have for years, just for the cheap shipping. These days though, Prime streaming is actually worth watching in it's own right. I feel I get tons of value from it.

I think it's funny some folks are up in arms about the rising price of Prime membership. I get it, though, if you buy infrequently and don't stream Prime movies. For us, Prime is one of our better deals. I wish I had such a good deal from one of the Big 4 cell services or the Terrible 2 cable providers here.

As someone mentioned, though, Amazon is no longer automatically the best price, although it's rarely the worst one. I've been playing with E-bay for very expensive stuff or cheap consumables that are NOT likely to be returned. Many offer free shipping, albiet, several days instead of 2 days.
This! And, when I see adds for some new doodad that would make my life easier, I am always hesitant to give an untried company not only my credit card # but my email address, because I am certain to be bombarded with more offers from them and Lord know who else they'll share it with. If I can get the doodad off Amazon, both problems are solved, AND it can be return if my life isn't really that much better for buying it.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:51 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Looking at our Amazon purchase history, we are placing over 200 orders per year for quite a number of years. We like the no hassle return policy also.

Prime is staying with us, plus, DW likes the streaming service.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:57 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I dropped Prime several months ago and have not missed it. I buy stuff all the time through Jet & Walmart and receive just as fast of delivery. Price comparable as well. I'll probably sign up again for a free month in the future so I can watch a couple of series that I did enjoy.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:25 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

From reading y'all's comments (see, my Floridian is coming back) I think we may sign up again if a free month ever comes around, just to see what the Prime video is all about. Right now I barely have time to watch our Netflix subscription. Too busy.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:45 PM   #31

We have Prime but don't watch the free movies and such. We will drop it in August when the time comes. We order most of our stuff through Ebay now with free shipping. I compare prices and Ebay wins out most of the time, too. Most books are free shipping and we buy used a lot, too.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:00 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Is there a place to look up what the special offers are? I remember getting an email about the utility offer. But, other than that I don't recall getting any other notifications.
I don't know of any place to look up the active offers for the 5% bonuses like on the utilities or Zappos. I got both of them via email only. Here's the link at Zappos that confirms it's real, but if you didn't get the email, you would never know to look for it: https://www.zappos.com/c/rewards_visa
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:34 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

We needed so many things, in so many categories, that I actually made a little spreadsheet comparing Walmart/Jet with Amazon for each item. It was interesting how often one or the other "won out." Sometimes, the price spread was rather large! There was no consistency or pattern, either. I do use Ebates, Befrugal and Rakuten (rebate sites) to get a few cents on the dollar with Walmart/Jet.

Of course if Amazon had the better price, I used Prime to try to get it faster. But as said before, if it was a 3rd party seller, that didn't necessarily work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I dropped Prime several months ago and have not missed it. I buy stuff all the time through Jet & Walmart and receive just as fast of delivery. Price comparable as well. I'll probably sign up again for a free month in the future so I can watch a couple of series that I did enjoy.

Tags
amazon prime, free shipping, prime benefits, prime membership