Used, then canceled our Free Prime Trial

How long have you folks been doing Prime?? I started in early 2000; I think it cost about 60 bucks/year. I figured that I would break even buying something monthly.

Now i'm paying $119/year and DW and I order maybe half a dozen things each week, almost all with "free" 2 day or faster shipping. Honestly, I do it, as I have for years, just for the cheap shipping. These days though, Prime streaming is actually worth watching in it's own right. I feel I get tons of value from it.

I think it's funny some folks are up in arms about the rising price of Prime membership. I get it, though, if you buy infrequently and don't stream Prime movies. For us, Prime is one of our better deals. I wish I had such a good deal from one of the Big 4 cell services or the Terrible 2 cable providers here.

As someone mentioned, though, Amazon is no longer automatically the best price, although it's rarely the worst one. I've been playing with E-bay for very expensive stuff or cheap consumables that are NOT likely to be returned. Many offer free shipping, albiet, several days instead of 2 days.

How long have you folks been doing Prime?? I started in early 2000; I think it cost about 60 bucks/year. I figured that I would break even buying something monthly.

Now i'm paying $119/year and DW and I order maybe half a dozen things each week, almost all with "free" 2 day or faster shipping. Honestly, I do it, as I have for years, just for the cheap shipping. These days though, Prime streaming is actually worth watching in it's own right. I feel I get tons of value from it.

I think it's funny some folks are up in arms about the rising price of Prime membership. I get it, though, if you buy infrequently and don't stream Prime movies. For us, Prime is one of our better deals. I wish I had such a good deal from one of the Big 4 cell services or the Terrible 2 cable providers here.

As someone mentioned, though, Amazon is no longer automatically the best price, although it's rarely the worst one. I've been playing with E-bay for very expensive stuff or cheap consumables that are NOT likely to be returned. Many offer free shipping, albiet, several days instead of 2 days.

This! And, when I see adds for some new doodad that would make my life easier, I am always hesitant to give an untried company not only my credit card # but my email address, because I am certain to be bombarded with more offers from them and Lord know who else they'll share it with. If I can get the doodad off Amazon, both problems are solved, AND it can be return if my life isn't really that much better for buying it.

Looking at our Amazon purchase history, we are placing over 200 orders per year for quite a number of years. We like the no hassle return policy also.

Prime is staying with us, plus, DW likes the streaming service.

I dropped Prime several months ago and have not missed it. I buy stuff all the time through Jet & Walmart and receive just as fast of delivery. Price comparable as well. I'll probably sign up again for a free month in the future so I can watch a couple of series that I did enjoy.

From reading y'all's comments (see, my Floridian is coming back) I think we may sign up again if a free month ever comes around, just to see what the Prime video is all about. Right now I barely have time to watch our Netflix subscription. Too busy.

We have Prime but don't watch the free movies and such. We will drop it in August when the time comes. We order most of our stuff through Ebay now with free shipping. I compare prices and Ebay wins out most of the time, too. Most books are free shipping and we buy used a lot, too.

Is there a place to look up what the special offers are? I remember getting an email about the utility offer. But, other than that I don't recall getting any other notifications.

I don't know of any place to look up the active offers for the 5% bonuses like on the utilities or Zappos. I got both of them via email only. Here's the link at Zappos that confirms it's real, but if you didn't get the email, you would never know to look for it: https://www.zappos.com/c/rewards_visa

We needed so many things, in so many categories, that I actually made a little spreadsheet comparing Walmart/Jet with Amazon for each item. It was interesting how often one or the other "won out." Sometimes, the price spread was rather large! There was no consistency or pattern, either. I do use Ebates, Befrugal and Rakuten (rebate sites) to get a few cents on the dollar with Walmart/Jet.

Of course if Amazon had the better price, I used Prime to try to get it faster. But as said before, if it was a 3rd party seller, that didn't necessarily work out.

I dropped Prime several months ago and have not missed it. I buy stuff all the time through Jet & Walmart and receive just as fast of delivery. Price comparable as well. I'll probably sign up again for a free month in the future so I can watch a couple of series that I did enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom