TEMU?

If you didn't care when Amazon decimated mom-and-pop stores all over united states, by under-cutting them on prices, then I feel bit of hypocrisy when someone criticizes buying from AliExpress or Temu. Not only mom-and-pop, I know people who worked at Macy's with pensions. Who were single mothers supporting their kids in school. Downsized after working for 20+ years there. That's just an example of side effects of Amazon destroying big part of retail industry all over US.

I totally get the notion of supporting local business. But if you are buying from Amazon (that peddles the same Chinese junk that Temu and AliExpress do), then I am not understanding the points being made about Forced Labor etc.

Same factories make the product in China. Then a re-seller, sitting in US somewhere, buys them bulk and then re-sells those on Amazon. Jeff Bezos thanks you for making him ultra billionaire while he enjoys his latest billion-dollar Yacht. And so does the other middleman.

Amazon does offer fast shipping and easier returns. Is that worth 25-30% in extra cost? You get to decide that.

Last edited:
I see their ads all the time. For some reason TEMU thinks I want to purchase an insert to put in my tight pants that would have an outline of, errrr... , male junk. (Think codpiece with some raised detail). Problem with that is that I'm female and don't wear tight pants. That item shows up in their ad when I'm playing a sudoku game at least 4-5 times a week. In fairness to temu it also shows me flowy sun dresses. LOL.

I totally get the notion of supporting local business. But if you are buying from Amazon (that peddles the same Chinese junk that Temu and AliExpress do), then I am not understanding the points being made about Forced Labor etc.

I know this is totally un-American but I do not have an Amazon Prime membership and when I order something on-line because it's not available locally (not even order on-line, pick up in store) I try to go to the actual business, not through Amazon. I agree- same ethics.

I know this is totally un-American but I do not have an Amazon Prime membership and when I order something on-line because it's not available locally (not even order on-line, pick up in store) I try to go to the actual business, not through Amazon. I agree- same ethics.

I respect people like you who go an extra-step to support local Businesses. Thank you!

I, too, buy local, and pay cash. But even the locals are selling stuff from China, Viet Nam or Thailand. I was hoping that the supply issues we had last year would wake some folks up so we can start have incentives to make things here, but it's not going to happen.

A friend of mine told me about TEMU, but I was still hesitant. After reading this thread, I placed an order via PayPal. I received my order within one week (I live in Canada.) In fact, I've placed two orders and they both arrived in about a week. I wanted to return one product (something you put on your hair) as I pulled on something and it got detached, they said that they could give me store credit in 1 day, or a money refund in so many days and that I didn't even need to return the product. (I imagine it would be most costly for them to have items shipped back...?)

Gotta tell you. I ordered from Wish a couple of times, but the shipment took about a month, and that was kind of a deal-breaker for me. With just one week of wait time, TEMU has become a bit addicting as the prices of many items are very, very low.

Last edited:
I see their ads all the time. For some reason TEMU thinks I want to purchase an insert to put in my tight pants that would have an outline of, errrr... , male junk. (Think codpiece with some raised detail). Problem with that is that I'm female and don't wear tight pants. That item shows up in their ad when I'm playing a sudoku game at least 4-5 times a week. In fairness to temu it also shows me flowy sun dresses. LOL.

Would the device w*rk in the flowy sun dress?:angel:

OP here. Placed an order and it arrived in exactly 10 days. Fishing stuff. All as expected. One item was about 6 bucks and 16 on Amazon for the exact item. I will use again if I need anything they have. The constant emails from them are annoying but easy enough to delete.

I submitted my first order with Temu on September 16th and just received a message that it will be arriving tomorrow.

OP here. Placed an order and it arrived in exactly 10 days. Fishing stuff. All as expected. One item was about 6 bucks and 16 on Amazon for the exact item. I will use again if I need anything they have. The constant emails from them are annoying but easy enough to delete.

Did you use your credit card?

My neighbors and my niece buy from Temu. I decided to try and am waiting for my shipment. Hasn't been a week. I saw what my niece ordered, a very good quality wood kitchen item and a handbag. I was impressed. My neighbors order from them often. They love them. I'll follow up when I get my items, a swimsuit, DH slippers, and a T-shirt.

The BBC has covered tis as well. Uighurs (a Muslim religious minority) are sent to camps where they try to "rehabilitate" them (the Chinese government does not like any allegiance to any entity BUT the Chinese government) and force them to work in factories for little or no wages.

When you get 5 batteries for $1.78 (mentioned in another post) corners are being cut somewhere. Forced labor, dangerous working conditions, tax evasion, ignoring environmental impact, poor quality. Although no manufacture or vendor is totally transparent, I try to avoid all of the above.

One thing is certain, if we never bought anything made by slave or cheap or child labor, we probably wouldn't buy much that is imported. That's not an endorsement of such practices by any means. Having said that: How do we really know and how do we avoid such things?

Personally, I would like to see us (USA) get away from dependence on China to make our "stuff." But most alternatives likely have similar situations in the labor markets. Let's face it, we (USA) outsource our minimum-wage, environmental and labor laws. Let's not kid (no pun intended) ourselves. There's a reason all that stuff is cheap.

End of mini-rant as I'm as guilty as anyone - though I'm trying to quit buying "stuff" just because I really don't need any more. YMMV

Did you use your credit card?

Yes I did. I get instant text alerts when my card is used, so I would know immediately if there was anything suspicious. I don't use any of those cash apps or anything like that. The one time my wife used PayPal for something, our credit card was hacked shortly thereafter.

With many products, we have no real choice. Even if we go to the local, Mom-and-Pop, brick-and-mortar shop, it's still made in China (or wherever.)

Yes, I'd love to see us onshore more of our mass manufacturing. We could probably compete, using automation instead of manual labor. But I have very little control over those decisions.

So, do I buy local and support the supply chain which sent manufacturing overseas in the first place, or do I buy direct from China (TEMU or Ali) and save myself some money?

I keep coming back to one point: Nobody cried for me and my co-workers during all the rounds of layoffs I've experienced. "It's just business" we were told. Should I feel guilty now for feeling the same way toward the proverbial Mom & Pop?

With many products, we have no real choice. Even if we go to the local, Mom-and-Pop, brick-and-mortar shop, it's still made in China (or wherever.)

Yes, I'd love to see us onshore more of our mass manufacturing. We could probably compete, using automation instead of manual labor. But I have very little control over those decisions.

So, do I buy local and support the supply chain which sent manufacturing overseas in the first place, or do I buy direct from China (TEMU or Ali) and save myself some money?

I keep coming back to one point: Nobody cried for me and my co-workers during all the rounds of layoffs I've experienced. "It's just business" we were told. Should I feel guilty now for feeling the same way toward the proverbial Mom & Pop?

The difference between you and Mom and Pop? You came back. Once Mom and Pop are gone - they're gone for ever. No coming back for them. Glad you came back!:greetings10:

I think it's inevitable as consumerism evolves.
First we have lost and continue to lose the ability to manufacture to other Countries.
Now we will over decades lose the ability to sell to the consumers the products made in those other Countries.
We will be at the mercy of those Countries at that point.

I think it's inevitable as consumerism evolves.
First we have lost and continue to lose the ability to manufacture to other Countries.
Now we will over decades lose the ability to sell to the consumers the products made in those other Countries.
We will be at the mercy of those Countries at that point.

I fear you are right. I just hope we can turn this huge "Ship of State" around and begin to "buy American" because it's better and a good value - just like 50 years ago.

I guess we'll see, though I may not be here to see it. YMMV of course.

I got my first Temu order today that included a defective item. It was easy to upload photos and I got my credit within minutes.
For anyone thinking about trying Temu, the minimum order is only $10 including free shipping. Of course once you are checking out and they start making suggestions, they're really good at figuring out what other items you might want. Even after you've checked out they suggest even more items that can ship with your original order with one click pay.
Here's a few items that I really loved and have repurchased.
Radar Motion Sensor LED outdoor bulbs for $2.50 each, they're super sensitive and trigger when I'm still in the house and walk close to my patio door, which is what I want. Others may not like that feature.
Womens and mens ankle socks 5 pairs for $2.50
Collapsible Dog Bowls $1.18 each
Cobblestone memory foam bathmat $4.48
The only thing to watch for is they have multiple sizes in many items so be sure to select the size you need, sometimes all the options can be a little confusing. Temu tosses everything in an envelope with no padding but nothing has been broken on arrival yet.
I even got an electric toothbrush with 4 brushes for less than $6 that I've never had to recharge yet. I use it for a spare for when my regular one needs recharging. I didn't need it but when I saw the price I just had to buy it to see if it really worked and so far so good.
The prices are so good on the stuff that I don't even bother clicking on all the constant coupon discount offers that they blast me with.
It's a fun way to pass away an hour when you have nothing else to do at the time.

I fear you are right. I just hope we can turn this huge "Ship of State" around and begin to "buy American" because it's better and a good value - just like 50 years ago.

I guess we'll see, though I may not be here to see it. YMMV of course.
We won't have the workers. Everyone wants to work from home. Not possible with many factory jobs.

I'm more concerned with finding workers to build, repair and maintain our homes, vehicles and goods. Making stuff is one thing. Servicing it is important too. Repair and maintenance is in labor crisis right now.

We won't have the workers. Everyone wants to work from home. Not possible with many factory jobs.

I'm more concerned with finding workers to build, repair and maintain our homes, vehicles and goods. Making stuff is one thing. Servicing it is important too. Repair and maintenance is in labor crisis right now.

Yeah, we're finding that out now as we have some "issues" that need attention at the condo. Can't find "handy-persons" to do stuff.

As far as unskilled labor - we seem to have a lot of that coming to America. I don't know if that will help or not.

My Temu bathing suit fell apart in the wash (delicate cycle). Terrible packaging and a strange smell.

My Temu bathing suit fell apart in the wash (delicate cycle). Terrible packaging and a strange smell.

Better there than while swimming in the pool :eek: :LOL:

Yep, that would what they call "awkward".:blush:

Temu stuff, like a lot of stuff from China, seems to be "all over the map" when it comes to quality. I've seen a few review videos on youtube in which the quality varies a lot in the same order, from outright fall-apart-junk like Rianne's bathing suit, to high quality machine tools that are durable and accurate.

So it seems "you pays your money and takes your chances" and it might be worthwhile if you're willing to put up with the extended shipping times and return hassles if the product falls apart. For me, I'll stick with Amazon.

Yep, that would what they call "awkward".:blush:

Temu stuff, like a lot of stuff from China, seems to be "all over the map" when it comes to quality. I've seen a few review videos on youtube in which the quality varies a lot in the same order, from outright fall-apart-junk like Rianne's bathing suit, to high quality machine tools that are durable and accurate.

So it seems "you pays your money and takes your chances" and it might be worthwhile if you're willing to put up with the extended shipping times and return hassles if the product falls apart. For me, I'll stick with Amazon.

Agree! I won't be ordering from Temu again.

Back
Top Bottom