TEMU?

CincyDave

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just curious of anyone has ordered from TEMU? A friend just told me about it. It appears to be mostly non brand name stuff from China. A lot of the stuff is the same I see on Amazon, but cheaper. Free shipping and free returns. Apparently a minimum of $10 order, although I didn't see it on their website. Shipping is like 10 days or so. I recently bought something on Amazon and it was about half that on TEMU for the same thing. Anyone with experience with TEMU?

I'm curious too. They're putting ads all over the place. Funny how most of the ads show scantily-clad women, even though the products are unrelated. That was scammy enough to keep me from pursuing it further. Is it something like Ali Express? I've used them and never had a problem, but it was always for inexpensive products which I knew would be Chinese-made even if I bought them locally.

I would use a burner credit card if ordering directly from TEMU; and possibly a separate email address.

My DM loves shopping on Temu. She's only returned one item that was on the more expensive side (for her). But everything else she's kept, even if she's not totally happy with it, because everything is just so [-]cheap[/-] affordable.

Just make sure you understand their return policy if you end up wanting to return something. https://thekrazycouponlady.com/tips/store-hacks/temu-return-policy

Another downside to shopping on Temu is sometimes you wait a week or three to get your items.

I haven't tried it myself yet. I'm happy shopping on Amazon since you usually receive stuff in two days, and its so easy to return stuff. I really like the convenience of no packing up or printing shipping labels for returns, unlike Temu.

I've never used ali express, but guessing it is similar. My friend that oedered from them did get his stuff and some had to be returned and he were promptly issued a credit. They apparently send you a return shipping label.

Couple of orders so far.

A couple of weeks before any order arrived.

Nicest way to put it...cheap, cheap, cheap...treat anything you order as disposable.

I have only ordered from TEMU once. I used a Visa gift card to limit any potential exposures, and an email ID I rarely use due to spam. I ordered a half dozen items, the order came relatively fast (ordered on June 19th, received on June 25th). All items were as promised, no issues.

I will try them again, just have to come up with a few cheap things that I truly want or need :D.

Nicest way to put it...cheap, cheap, cheap...treat anything you order as disposable.

And that's why I won't order from them. "Cheap" comes at a price, especially when made in China. That price may be horrendous working conditions, environmental impact, flimsy construction or a combination. In the long run you may be paying more for cheaply-made things that fall apart and have to be replaced and you're adding to the stuff in landfills.

My art group loves Temu. They order everything from Temu. I have not ordered anything from Temu, probably won't. I was told to make my first order large because the prices are lowest for your initial order.

Have made 4-5 orders from TEMU. All have arrived in a fairly timely manner from 1-3 weeks. Mostly small items like a silicone beaker for resin mixing work, a mattress wedge lifter, ($1,58 and I no longer have to lift the corners of our heavy mattress while DW pulls on the fitted sheet!), silicone baking cups, memory foam bath met, etc. Basically, it has taken place of those old time ads in magazines and catalogs with miscellaneous odds and ends.

Ive used a couple of times for cheap items and they’ve been mostly as advertised. THe one time I wanted to return something they said keep it and credited the money back. I have heard to not use/download their app. I ordered via website and paid through paypal.

I ordered once. Arrived within 10days. Everything I have ordered looked like a downgraded version of the identical/similar stuff bought on Amazon.

If an item is significantly cheaper than elsewhere, there is reason for that…

I might buy in the future but only cheap disposable items.

Yes. Temu. And then there is AliExpress.com
Use Paypal account in case I need to ask for a refund. Works fine.

Most of the stuff that Amazon sells comes from China. So why not cut the middle man and buy directly from source. 25% cheaper in many cases (but not all).

I've been seeing a lot of their ads in my FB feed. Just now, I decided to go straight to the source and check out their website. Right on their homepage is proof that they know exactly what they are doing, and have figured out how to sell stuff to Americans, as evidenced by the "humor" on the t-shirts, mugs, and various accessories they are selling. Good for them. Selling stupid sh*t to Americans is good business! :LOL:

Last edited:
My son has ordered quite a bit from TEMU.
Cheap to buy, cheaply made stuff, but it works for what he wants.
It can take a bit to get, don't expect Amazon Prime next day delivery type service.
He had one order take 10 weeks.

I've been seeing a lot of their ads in my FB feed. Just now, I decided to go straight to the source and check out their website. Right on their homepage is proof that they know exactly what they are doing, and have figured out how to sell stuff to Americans, as evidenced by the "humor" on the t-shirts, mugs, and various accessories they are selling. Good for them. Selling stupid sh*t to Americans is good business! :LOL:

We are programmed to consume. We go for quantity over quality. No surprise all the startups around the world look to America to get rich.

We are programmed to consume. We go for quantity over quality. No surprise all the startups around the world look to America to get rich.

Watch an episode of "Hoarders" (extreme case) or take a look at what people put out at garage sales. I always wonder what all that stuff cost and whether they got their money's worth in enjoyment out of it.

Last edited:
And that's why I won't order from them. "Cheap" comes at a price, especially when made in China..

True, but it doesn't matter where you buy something if they're all made in the same factory in China (or wherever). I'd rather buy something made locally or in other "Western" countries. But if it's gonna come from China anyway, I might as well buy bdirect.

...I was told to make my first order large because the prices are lowest for your initial order.

My browser is set to delete cookies when I close it. So, for example, every time I log on to Amazon, it doesn't know who I am. I search for what I want, and make note of the prices. Only when I'm ready to buy will I log on.

I assume the same thing would work with Temu.

I love Temu shopping but it is very addictive. I had to opt out of texts because they bombarded me constantly.
The checkout process is where they get you, they start offering you deals on items that you looked at and even when you have completely checked out then they come up with more add-on items that you may be interested in. In my case I am, I just didn't know it until then. I think you have the rest of the day to add more to your order and they get me every time but I don't spend a lot. I agree the prices are higher if you reorder something from your first order but not by much.
I pay with Paypal now, originally I used a prepaid card since Temu was a brand new shopping site.

Last edited:
There was some debate on CNBC a few weeks back about TEMU and Ali Express. The gist was both companies are marketing directly to consumers and getting around the import fees and taxes. The companies are supposed to pay the fees if they have ,IIRC, $800 in sales, but but with many small orders to consumers and not to a store or warehouse, they avoid the fees and taxes, giving them a big leg up to even companies like Harbor Freight. Also, was mentioned that some of the merchandise was made by Uighurs, a Chinese minority, who are highly discriminated in mainland China, but cannot be proven.

I recently purchased lithium button batteries for my electronics on Temu. Could have paid $7 or $8 plus tax for 10 batteries on Amazon, or only $1.78 total for 5 batteries. Estimated time was 10 days as opposed to 2 days for Amazon. Decided to try Temu, and the product arrived in 7 days.

Ordered a package of roller shade pull cord extenders from Ali Express for my travel trailer. Amazon had the exact same package of 10 for $12. I didn’t think it was possible that Ali Express offered it for $0.97 total cost. They did warn that delivery could take up to 6 weeks (!). I thought what the heck and ordered it. Then I forgot all about it . . . until it arrived in my mailbox 6 weeks later.

Me and my other half have bought swimsuits for me and for her and liked them bought shirts, batteries, dashboard cam, solar lights, a cheap drone that actually worked pretty good just make sure to get extra battery as they discharge pretty quick but works good for the cheap price, bought a comforter which was nice so bought another for other beds also those clips for holding sheets in place. and if your order isn't received by the promise date on your order, they give you $5 bucks to use on your next order and I always use my PayPal to pay and never had any issues and haven't returned a thing yet. So, I say give it a shot.

Have made 4-5 orders from TEMU. All have arrived in a fairly timely manner from 1-3 weeks. Mostly small items like a silicone beaker for resin mixing work, a mattress wedge lifter, ($1,58 and I no longer have to lift the corners of our heavy mattress while DW pulls on the fitted sheet!), silicone baking cups, memory foam bath met, etc. Basically, it has taken place of those old time ads in magazines and catalogs with miscellaneous odds and ends.

How did we ever live without these things? I’m just joking as my SIL has become addicted to Temu shopping. He has gotten many things for himself, and my grandson, who is 4 1/2 years old and even for me (Silicone Square Ice Cube tray for highball glasses). My Grandson says, its coming from “a slow boat from China”. LOL….even he understands its not Amazon.

Be careful, there was recently an article (either in the WSJ or NY Times) that all of its customer information, gets turned over to the Chinese government by regulatory requirement there. Even deleting your cookies won’t erase your personal data from their database.

There was some debate on CNBC a few weeks back about TEMU and Ali Express. <snip>Also, was mentioned that some of the merchandise was made by Uighurs, a Chinese minority, who are highly discriminated in mainland China, but cannot be proven.

The BBC has covered tis as well. Uighurs (a Muslim religious minority) are sent to camps where they try to "rehabilitate" them (the Chinese government does not like any allegiance to any entity BUT the Chinese government) and force them to work in factories for little or no wages.

When you get 5 batteries for $1.78 (mentioned in another post) corners are being cut somewhere. Forced labor, dangerous working conditions, tax evasion, ignoring environmental impact, poor quality. Although no manufacture or vendor is totally transparent, I try to avoid all of the above.

Back
Top Bottom