What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

So how come these waves of blond-haired blue-eyed people kept invading the rest of Europe? There were plenty of tribes from Scandinavia that spread out across Europe well before the Viking age of 700-1100AD. Like the Vandals who moved out in 2nd century BC, ended up sacking Rome, and spreading out to invade Spain and even take North Africa by the early 400s. And you have the Angles, Jutes and Saxons invading England shortly after 400 AD before being in turn invaded by “the Danes” - Vikings around 700 AD.

You might enjoy “The Last Kingdom” which covers the Danes versus the various Saxon kingdoms early in the conflict. It’s been on Netflix.

I'm surprise no one mentioned Mindhunters on Netflix. I binge watched the first season I liked it so much. It's about how the FBI began using profiling to solve murders.

Agree that Altered Carbon looks like it will be good.

Last edited:
It's on Netflix. I've just checked...? Sorry, I was checking the Canada Netfilx.

Here's a website you can see who is streaming what shows. I'm sure there are other websites that do the same thing, but this came up on top. This website shows the only sites that are streaming Homeland in the US for free are SHO and Hulu (Free if you subscribe to these services.)

https://www.justwatch.com/us

The first season was the best of the best.

Yea, Homeland got a little silly after awhile, as they all do. A show starts off kind of reality based, then as seasons go on things get more and more unreasonable.

Loved many of the shows listed so far. I'd add "Doc Martin" to the list of favorites. You can't help but love the characters! It's almost like comfort food to the brain.

Another vote for Justified. Very good. And just watched the first 3 episodes of Ozark. Loved it. The first episode will stress you out but keep you glued to your seat, assuming you don't mind a bit of violence and rough language.

Another I just thought of, The Orville (FOX). No word yet on when Season 2 will air.

What new series are you watching?

Victoria on PBS
The Crown on Netflix
Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee on Netflix

That last one is hosted by Jerry Seinfeld. DW and I love it...

About midway through season 1 of Justified based on comments in this thread. I like it and will continue.

The lead guy was in Deadwood and it reminds me how great that series was. Not sure why it ended so abruptly but for anyone interested, Deadwood is a great series. Assuming you can handle some seriously creative cursing.

I'm watching a UK detective show called "Strike"

Based on a series of detective novels written by J.K. Rowling under a pseudonym. Set in London, the protagonist is a hard boiled gumshoe who is a disabled veteran. A bit noirish.

It is rated 7/10 and I would agree with that. Not particularly brilliant writing but the lead actor is very compelling. I believe they just released the third series.

1. The Good Place. Season 1 was strange, bordering on the nonsensical, but I hung in there and binge watched season 2 to date and it's really a great story line.
2. The Good Doctor. The acting on the part of the lead character is great. The technical detail of the medicine is very accurate as far as I can tell with my laptop and google at my disposal as I watch.
3. Amazing Race because I'm an old white guy who likes shouting at the TV and the evening news just isn't enough any more. My sons won't let their kids in the same room with me if I'm watching the evening news. A half hour of national news broadcast takes me almost an hour as I record it and pause to point out the mistakes, fallacies, cleverly crafted wording that says one thing but implies something totally the opposite, and out right fake news. My wife, God bless her, is very patient to listen to my rants. When asked why I watch if it gets me so fired up, I tell them it's so I keep up with what the enemy is up to. Eyes roll and I am once again left alone to finish watching the news.

I'm watching a UK detective show called "Strike"

Based on a series of detective novels written by J.K. Rowling under a pseudonym. Set in London, the protagonist is a hard boiled gumshoe who is a disabled veteran. A bit noirish.

It is rated 7/10 and I would agree with that. Not particularly brilliant writing but the lead actor is very compelling. I believe they just released the third series.

On what platform, the Strike books are great reads...

On what platform, the Strike books are great reads...

I've just been watching them "on the internet" :cool:

Apparently they are all going to be released in the States in June on Cinemax.
All three series that is (based on the three books)

I've just watched the second series. Still very good. The actor playing Cormoran Strike is very good.

Everwood on Hulu. Good family show, no cursing, obligatory sex, etc. Just a single dad trying to deal with his 2 kids. Actually more complicated than that but really good.

Third week trying to watch the new series "The Alienist"...ready to give up. Anyone else watching this series?

So how come these waves of blond-haired blue-eyed people kept invading the rest of Europe? There were plenty of tribes from Scandinavia that spread out across Europe well before the Viking age of 700-1100AD.
Well, I think that's where the blue eyes/light skin mutation(s) occurred & not too many K years ago. So when they invaded elsewhere in Europe, that's what they were.

Third week trying to watch the new series "The Alienist"...ready to give up. Anyone else watching this series?

I'm also giving up on this one. The scenes are so darkly lit that I can't figure out what's happening half the time. Even if that's accurate to the period before electric light, it's making watching it into more of a chore than I care for.

The short clips ads did not get me interested... so I gave up before it even started...

Sounds to me like I made a good decision....

DH checked the book out of the library after the first episode—he said the book was really good. He might finish watching the series, though.

Hulu. Brockmire. Bad language; well spoken. Extreme sexual activity; little nudity. Baseball - maybe? Internet. Seedy bars. Poor town being destroyed by fracking. Cracks me up. Too easy to just keep watching, but only eight episodes.

Pinky Blinders (great show if you can understand them). Only six episodes per season. On Netflix

Not new but "Ashes to ashes" and "Line of Duty" and "Life on Mars" and "Shetland" and "The Tunnel" and "Luther" and "Sherlock" and "Broadchurch" and "Ripper Street" and "River" and "Happy Valley" to name but a few. And of Course "Sweeney" and "Prime Suspect" and "Grantchester" and "No Offence" to name a few more.

Last edited:
We just watched the first three seasons of Line of Duty, on Acorn, and then the fourth current season on DVD from the library. Soooo good! We started Acceptable Risk, also Acorn, last night.

Altered Carbon. It’s an homage to 80s noir sci-fi. Think Bladerunner with literal cameos from the MaxHeadroom guy.

The short clips ads did not get me interested... so I gave up before it even started...

Sounds to me like I made a good decision....

The short clip ads were a warning for me to stay away. Glad I did. Learned my lesson from Mr Robot about getting invested in these shows too early. Too many better things to do besides watching tv.

Waiting for Billions to return March 25th
Waiting for Animal Kingdom to return.
Waiting for The Last Ship to return. Not expecting too much after too excellent and one decent season.

Back
Top Bottom