What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

I looked at the older posts back to June and did not see where anyone suggested this series: "The Bridge" (or "Bron"). It's a Danish/Swedish co-production TV series that started in 2011.

I just finished watching Season One (10 episodes). It is NEW to me. And I guess it still qualifies as "new" because, after a hiatus of some years, a new season started this year of 2018.

I haven't seen Season 2 yet (I'm on hold for it at my local library). If you don't know Swedish or Danish, you need to follow along with the English sub-titles. But the show was so engrossing, the sub-titles didn't bother me one bit.

Please do not spoil it by reading about the plot anything beyond the first episode, because the plot is brilliant. So is the acting, writing, directing and production. (I don't know if Season 2 measures up to Season 1...yet.)

The series was so good that it has become an international franchise. "The Tunnel" is the British version. While waiting for Season 2, I am now watching the American version of "The Bridge"--and it is a poor distant cousin to the original. Especially the main actress. The original Saga is superb!

If you have not seen ANY of the international versions, and specifically not the original Danish/Swedish version, please check out Season 1.

I've seen 2 or 3 seasons of the Swedish show, 2 seasons of the Tunnel and both US seasons of the Bridge.

Just finished Season 1 of Homecoming with Julia Roberts on Amazon Prime. Very entertaining. Not sure if there will be a Season 2 or not.

Kevin Spacey (Francis) passed away. Left due to sexual misconduct. Claire Underwood is the president.

They have really deviated from the original British show.

But, I won't mention what happened to the British PM who was the model for Francis Underwood. You can watch it yourself. It's only about 16 episodes.

finished the first season of the kaminsky method with michael douglas and alan arkin. very well done. hope there will be a season 2. watched all three versions of the bridge/tunnel. both the british and swedish versions were good, american version not as good.

finished the first season of the kaminsky method with michael douglas and alan arkin. very well done.

I agree. Didn't intent it to be a binge watch, but we did watch it all in 2 nights. They did a good job with closing it out, in case there isn't a second season. Danny DeVito certainly didn't disappoint, either. :D

Really enjoyed Jack Ryan (except for his foul mouthed boss). But only 8 shows? Kind of a short season. Give us more!!

Just finished Season 1 of Homecoming with Julia Roberts on Amazon Prime. Very entertaining. Not sure if there will be a Season 2 or not.

To each his own of course. But I watched it and thought it was terrible. Kept thinking it might get interesting, but it just stayed boring and predictable. Julia Roberts boss was such a ridiculous character. Not sure how they could get a season 2 out of it. Thank goodness. Was mad at myself for watching it to the bitter end.

Watching the Chilling adventures of Sabrina the Teenage Witch on Netflix. Some episodes are better than others. Overall, I like it. 4 out of 5 stars.

I'm 3 episodes in on Castle Rock streaming on Hula. A little far out but staying with it to this point. Kind of reminds me of X-files.

I loved the series. Jack Ryan is such an interesting character.

The series is pretty good but having read a few Clancy novels I find it hard to get into the Ryan character, one guy saving the country from total destruction over and over again gets old.

I recently watched season 1 of "The Romanoffs" (2018) on Amazon Prime. It does not get particularly good reviews, but I enjoyed it and hope there will be a season 2. It is 8 episodes of short stories set in locations around the world with a very loose Romanoff descendant theme. It is the latest effort of Matthew Weiner who did Mad Men (which I never watched).

Totally agree on the comments regarding the last season of House of Cards.

Have been enjoying the first two seasons of 'The Crown' on Netflix. Spend a good deal of time looking up bits of history to augment the show. DWs family emigrated from London in 1957 so interesting to get a sense of the climate.

I’ve been on a Cuba kick lately. I really liked Cuba and the Cameraman on Netflix. The same cameraman visited Cuba over a 40 year span. He made friends with several people and would revisit them every time he went back. He interviewed Castro several time over those 40 years too. Very eye opening and worth viewing.

I loved the series. Jack Ryan is such an interesting character.

The series is pretty good but having read a few Clancy novels I find it hard to get into the Ryan character, one guy saving the country from total destruction over and over again gets old.

Whoops. I've never seen the show Jack Ryan. I was thinking of Jack Taylor (streaming on Netflix). I think I have it correct now. Jack Taylor is my guy.

zinger1457: Is there any chance at all that you might have misquoted me?
No hard feelings if you did. Mistakes do happen.:)

My main objection was the appearance that ALL hedge fund success relies on insider trading and an influx of "tips". Sure, there is going to be some of that. But the show really makes it look like people are sitting around waiting for "tips" of questionable origin to be called in, and not doing any due diligence type research. I don't buy that.

Oh yeah, and the rich guy buys a big expensive house down the beach from the US Attorney's Dad's place, therefore he must be crooked and it's time to go after him.

I really liked Billions S1 the best. I’m looking forward to next season but don’t expect it to top S1. I thought the business and legal storyline is pretty good but the personal stuff seems improbable.

Watched a couple episodes of the Netflix show "A User's Guide To Cheating Death" which is about some of the scams that are out there selling a longer life. We watched the episodes on detoxing and stem cells. It was pretty good and will probably watch more.

My main objection was the appearance that ALL hedge fund success relies on insider trading and an influx of "tips". Sure, there is going to be some of that. But the show really makes it look like people are sitting around waiting for "tips" of questionable origin to be called in, and not doing any due diligence type research. I don't buy that.

Oh yeah, and the rich guy buys a big expensive house down the beach from the US Attorney's Dad's place, therefore he must be crooked and it's time to go after him.

I really liked Billions S1 the best. I’m looking forward to next season but don’t expect it to top S1. I thought the business and legal storyline is pretty good but the personal stuff seems improbable.

The series is loosely based on Steve Cohen, who owned a big hedge fund and was taken down by the US attorney in NY and agreed to be barred from trading for a few years.

https://www.theringer.com/2017/2/17/16044226/billions-showtime-black-edge-c19ec9165cf3

Others have been caught in insider trading.

In future seasons, they show that Bobby Axelrod came from humble working class beginnings and so is too cool with cultural references, not like the stuffy Hamptons set.

Chuck Rhoades is loosely based on Preet Bahara.

And HBO's Succession show is loosely based on Rupert Murdoch and clan.

Whoops. I've never seen the show Jack Ryan. I was thinking of Jack Taylor (streaming on Netflix). I think I have it correct now. Jack Taylor is my guy.

zinger1457: Is there any chance at all that you might have misquoted me?
No hard feelings if you did. Mistakes do happen.:)

I actually would watch a series about Jake Ryan and his life after Samantha Baker (16 Candles romcom reference). Maybe that’s who you were thinking of :LOL:

I actually would watch a series about Jake Ryan and his life after Samantha Baker (16 Candles romcom reference). Maybe that’s who you were thinking of :LOL:

OK, I think this might be considered a form of elder abuse.

Anyhow, how could you possibly remember a character's name ( a common name at that) from a movie that came out in 1984? I think I've seen the movie 3-4 times and still wouldn't have recognized his name.

I'll think that I will lie down now--for the rest of [-]the day[/-] my retirement.

Killing Eve with Sandra Oh. On Hulu, a BBC America production. I've only seen the first two episodes but they are excellant.

To each his own of course. But I watched it and thought it was terrible. Kept thinking it might get interesting, but it just stayed boring and predictable. Julia Roberts boss was such a ridiculous character. Not sure how they could get a season 2 out of it. Thank goodness. Was mad at myself for watching it to the bitter end.
I enjoyed watching Julia Roberts without makeup. Bobby Cannavale, her boss, is a great actor, this role stunk. He was awesome in Boardwalk Empire. And he was Will's boyfriend for awhile in Will and Grace. Good comedic role.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom