What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

I stumbled across "Red Rock" on Amazon Prime. It is an Irish drama series (but does have comedic moments within it, at least to me) centered around a police station in the fictional town of Red Rock. The plots are interesting - the initial one in the series is akin to "Romeo and Juliet" - feuding families, love interest between 2 members from each family, and the police dealing with crimes and situations related to the feud. With 100+ total episodes it will keep me busy for a while. :)

I stumbled across "Red Rock" on Amazon Prime. It is an Irish drama series (but does have comedic moments within it, at least to me) centered around a police station in the fictional town of Red Rock. The plots are interesting - the initial one in the series is akin to "Romeo and Juliet" - feuding families, love interest between 2 members from each family, and the police dealing with crimes and situations related to the feud. With 100+ total episodes it will keep me busy for a while. :)

Thanks for this. I just watched 5 minutes of S1EP1 and I think I might enjoy this so I added it to my watchlist. Interesting that my Google search showed that this show is classified as soap opera. I gravitate toward British crime shows, but this seems to have an added angle (as you have mentioned as well!) :)

One day at a time - netflix redo of the 70's sitcom. Surprisingly funny although the first episode was a bit slow. Rita Moreno shines as the live in Cuban grandmother.
Actually, Rita Moreno steals the show. All she has to do is lift an eyebrow. I saw all the seasons in this version - all were excellant.

On Netflix
Tiny Creatures narrated by Neil deGrasse Tyson. Cute stories about the tiniest of creatures in various locales. Photography is stunning. Good for kids - not deep science about the 'start' of each episode. Runs about 25 minutes per episode.

On Amazon Prime
The Silk Road, a travel documentary traveling the Silk Road from Venice to China. Again great photography, good information, far more than you would find if you took a trip to the area.

We sampled the first episode [of Selling Sunset] and concluded it was like real housewives of Hollywood. No thanks.

I just finished the third season. Not totally worthless, but mostly (that's why there's a 'fast-forward' button :) ). I still enjoyed looking at the high-end SoCal properties (and am immensely grateful that I don't date any high-end SoCal women :) ).

Another common feature of high-end SoCal properties: seamless inside/outside pool-side living. My 40+ year-old FL middle-class house was designed with this concept in mind (it has 5 sliding glass doors and used to have a large pool, deck, and pool cage). It's become so hot here that the number of days that it's comfortable to open up the house has shrunk to about a week, so I'm thinking about replacing 4 of the 5 sliding glass doors with picture windows to emphasize the fabulous view. If I do this, the next owner is going to be pissed if they want to convert back to the old design concept. I don't consider this to be my problem. :D

Last edited:
We started watching Lovecraft Country on HBO with episode one in mid August. It's a really good series if you like horror/supernatural.

Similar to "Bosch" is "Hinterland." I was put off at first because each episode is 1 1/2 hours long but each episode got better until I was very disappointed it was over with. There are three seasons and each episode is stand-alone but there is an underlying case that isn't solved until the last episode. Well worth the watch. https://www.netflix.com/title/70305043

Watched the first two seasons of Yellowstone -- that opening sequence (in season one) is the most stunning opening ever. We are waiting to record tomorrow's "Season Finally" and then binge watch. Great show, great scenery.

I’ll have to go back and rewatch. So far I’ve watched every episode as they have aired. The season 3 finale was a real cliff hanger. When a show succeeds on this level it gets increasingly difficult for writers to maintain the quality and I’m worried they are about to “jump the shark”. Next season is not expected before June 2021. I really got into the Yellowstone theme music too. Beautiful.

Yellowstone doesn't seem to get good reviews.

But I saw promos for a show called Big Sky.

So there must be something to these shows set in the Great Outdoors.

Maybe pandemic cabin fever?

7th season of Endeavour is on PBS currently. You can still watch episodes 1,2 & 3 through the PBS roku app.

Endeavor looked interesting and is new to us... we went back to Season 1 and are only on Episode 3 but really like it... on Prime Video.

Endeavor looked interesting and is new to us... we went back to Season 1 and are only on Episode 3 but really like it... on Prime Video.

I really like the old chief. He first comes across as a rather, hide-bound old fashioned bureaucrat. But, later we find out he is smart, experienced, clever as a fox, and often underestimated by his enemies.

Last edited:
Enjoyed Greyhound, The Morning Show, and Ted Lasso on AppleTV. Definitely worth a few months at $4.99 per. Defending Jacob and Little America are up next. Very much enjoyed Upright on a one week trial of Sundance through AppleTV. Binged it in a couple of evenings. From IMDB:

Two misfits, thrown together by chance in the middle of the Australian desert, forge bonds in a quest to transport a precious piano from one side of the country to the other.

I really like the old chief. He first comes across as a rather, hide-bound old fashioned bureaucrat. But, later we find out he is smart, experienced, clever as a fox, and often underestimated by his enemies.
If you are highly sensitive to spoilers, quit reading. I'm not going to provide any true spoilers, but have a comment that would be only partially obvious in the first 10 minutes.

Earlier Endeavor seasons were pretty good. Less enamored with the latest season, and the one before the current one. The characters started acting "out of character". But they had a reserve, so still plenty to root for. They have an open case that lasts "all season", which is only 3 episodes. Annoyingly, many loose ends. Also annoyingly, some totally unrealistic events, near impossible coincidences. So, in the first 10 minutes there's a murder and it turns out to be a serial killer. One could guess that's the way it would go. There are "regular" crimes getting solved, but the script writer cop-out mad slasher makes an appearance. So between the characters not consistent, the script cop-out, the impossible coincidences, and leaving so much up to interpretation at the end, I'm thinking it gets a C-.

But the "Puli" Bright character is awesomely acted, on that, we agree!

Last edited:
We just finished the BBC series "New Tricks" on HULU. As with a lot of these Brit series, you'll need to keep an English to American dictionary handy. And we've been working our way thru "Silent Witness" on Prime. After having watched the latest Endeavour on PBS we may go back to the original "Morse". Another we like on Prime is a Canadian comedy series "Corner Gas".

Has anyone watched "Yellowstone"? My FIL doesn't watch too much TV but he is enamored with this show and I am a bit curious.

I have watched the entire series so far. I am hooked. Did your FIL see the most recent mid season finale? It was a shocker.

Watched the first two seasons of Yellowstone -- that opening sequence (in season one) is the most stunning opening ever. We are waiting to record tomorrow's "Season Finally" and then binge watch. Great show, great scenery.

Seen them all. I live the scenery too.

Just finished the most current Yellowstone and all seasons of “Billions”. I am more hooked on “Billions” although it’s turning out that there are few nice guys and lots of scum bags.

Just finished the most current Yellowstone and all seasons of “Billions”. I am more hooked on “Billions” although it’s turning out that there are few nice guys and lots of scum bags.

RE: Billions. Yeah, I had to quit watching after awhile as I started disliking everyone. Same thing with Succession.

Back
Top Bottom