What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

We're in the same boat. Just finished The Crown, and haven't found a replacement. Heading into the final season of The Magicians, which has been far better than even I expected, and I really enjoyed the book. I think I'm going to force DW to sit through the first season of The Expanse, which is an excellent book series, because I've heard the show gets immensely better after season one. Other than that, we stuck with Resident Alien and it got pretty good by the end of the season. We've been watching The 4400, which is OK, but not great. I've got no idea what else to try. I guess I'll read back through this thread and see what I can find.

If you liked The Crown you would like Victoria (about Queen Victoria) on PBS Passport. There have been 3 seasons so far and more on the way. An excellent series, I actually liked it better than The Crown.

I've been enjoying the Magical Andes series on Netflix. Each episode is only around 20 minutes long. The high-altitude video looks great on my LG 55" LED TV (HD subscription from Netflix). Some folks who visit this website have even nicer TVs than mine (OLED, etc.) - even better :) . We're somewhat lacking in mountains here in FL, so it's nice to head for the mountains occasionally even if it's only on Netflix. :popcorn:

I have recently watched The Morning Show and Ted Lasso on AppleTV. I really like Ted Lasso and was sorry when it was over. Also, the Undoing on HBO Max (and on the airplane). I tried watching the Amazing Miss Maisel, but did not make it far into season 2. I am a big Outlander fan and just started over at the beginning again on STARZ, until I find another series to watch.

I have recently watched The Morning Show and Ted Lasso on AppleTV. I really like Ted Lasso and was sorry when it was over. Also, the Undoing on HBO Max (and on the airplane). I tried watching the Amazing Miss Maisel, but did not make it far into season 2. I am a big Outlander fan and just started over at the beginning again on STARZ, until I find another series to watch.

Ted Lasso is a good show. Kinda quirky, but in a very nice way.

Huss (Swedish) with subtitles. Good Rookie Cop Show from a different Countries perspective. On your Favorite Streaming Service.

I've been enjoying the Magical Andes series on Netflix. Each episode is only around 20 minutes long. The high-altitude video looks great on my LG 55" LED TV (HD subscription from Netflix). Some folks who visit this website have even nicer TVs than mine (OLED, etc.) - even better :) . We're somewhat lacking in mountains here in FL, so it's nice to head for the mountains occasionally even if it's only on Netflix. :popcorn:

I am also watching Magical Andes (Series 2). I enjoy the visuals as it brings back memories of trips to South America over the past 3 years, now that COVID has grounded us for a while.

If you like Outlander then you would like Poldark on PBS Passport, historical fiction set in England after the US revolutionary war. Does not have the SciFi part like Outlander does but it does have a hunky lead and his beautiful wife.

I have recently watched The Morning Show and Ted Lasso on AppleTV. I really like Ted Lasso and was sorry when it was over.

Ted Lasso is a good show. Kinda quirky, but in a very nice way.

I stared watching this and enjoy it very much. I have friends in the sports business world and I find the 'behind-the scenes" aspect interesting and not far removed from some of the stories I have been told.

I just finished season 4 of La casa de papel (known in English as Money Heist). Crazy plot but very entertaining and an intriguing character study from the roles. Cannot wait for the final season sometime this year. The documentary on how it has become a world-wide phenomenon, particularly how some of the scenes were shot, was also very good. Do not watch the documentary before watching all of season 4, as it contains spoilers.

Muirwannabe,

High octane TV series called Bodyguard (political action mystery thriller) my top show of 2025-2020. It's on Netflix.

Have you ever watched Fire Everywhere with Reese Witherapoon and Kerry Washington? It should be on Prime and Hulu. I highly recommend it.

I'm currently watching The Split Season 2 (Btitish drama with Nicola Walker) on Hulu.

2nd on bodyguard. Did they ever do a second season?

The Irregulars was a fun teen adventure story in Sherlock Holmes London. And I've been checking out a documentary series on ancient engineering on CuriosityStream that was interesting.

If you like Outlander then you would like Poldark on PBS Passport, historical fiction set in England after the US revolutionary war. Does not have the SciFi part like Outlander does but it does have a hunky lead and his beautiful wife.

I have heard of Poldark, may need to check that out. I see the PBS Passport mentioned a lot in this thread. Thank you.

....I’ve run out of shows I think I’d like to watch. Lots of great recommendations here have led to hours of entertainment for us. But now, our powder is dry.

Please suggest some things. I’ve got Netflix, Prime, HBO Max, and Hulu. Still, perusing the services doesn’t lead me to anything I know of to watch.

The last post was about Lupin. Is that really any good?

Thanks everybody!

Have you tried Line of Duty? DCI Banks? Grantchester? Endeavor? The Bill? COBRA? Yellowstone? Agent X? Downton Abbey?

We've also enjoyed some of the content on PBS Passport and since we already regularly contribute more than $60/annually to PBS it is free. There are a lot of documentary series available there.

Last edited:
I just watched the first episode of "Them" on Prime. It's about a black couple in the 60's who move into a (haunted) house in a white neighborhood. They get tons of backlash from the white neighbors for moving in while we learn the house is haunted.
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

I may be way off base but I think a twist is going to be that the neighbors aren't trying to drive the black people out of the neighborhood because they're black but actually trying to save them from the house.

for those that enjoyed the series Leverage with Timothy Hutton, we stumbled upon the British version that was made before Leverage, called Hustle. On amazon prime.

Have you tried Line of Duty? DCI Banks? Grantchester? Endeavor? The Bill? COBRA? Yellowstone? Agent X? Downton Abbey?

We've also enjoyed some of the content on PBS Passport and since we already regularly contribute more than $60/annually to PBS it is free. There are a lot of documentary series available there.

I’ve watched LOD, DCI Banks, and Endeavor based upon your previous recommendations. Each of those were top notch. Don’t have access to Yellowstone. Wish I did. DW has watched Downton Abbey but I’m not interested. I’ll take a look at the remaining ones you mention. Thanks.

Yellowstone has almost gone into hiding. Even though it's a Paramount show you can't see it on Paramount Plus. We bought it by the season on an Amazon Prime and now you can't buy it period. Maybe Kevin C got a big raise or something.

Its on Peacock which I think is free... and Peacock Premium is free if you are a Comcast subscriber.... but we pay the $5/month to upgrade to Peacock Premium + ... I hate ads.

All three seasons of Yellowstone are streaming on Peacock. And you can watch the very first episode of Yellowstone for free, with Peacock Free.

But to watch the rest of season 1, season 2 and season 3, you'll need Peacock Premium. And if you don't want ads interrupting your binge, you have to upgrade to Peacock Premium Plus.

Its on Peacock which I think is free... and Peacock Premium is free if you are a Comcast subscriber.... but we pay the $5/month to upgrade to Peacock Premium + ... I hate ads.

You have to pay for peacock plus to watch Yellowstone

Recent series, recently finished:
- Lupin. It's excellent, if you don't mind a few improbable coincidences per episode. Second part of season 1 will air this summer.

- Gangs of London. Compelling story and characters. Some might find the hard core violence off-putting. Season 2 has been announced.

- ZeroZeroZero. It starts with 3 coexisting drug trafficking groups: 1) A Mexican drug cartel selling cocaine, 2) Relatively minor Italian Mafia Dons pooling their orders into a single order of cocaine, and 3) An otherwise legitimate shipping magnate who has long since earned the trust of the other 2 groups. An event shakes their interdependence. That leads to violence. Group 3 are English speakers, the others require subtitles. A mini-series, so no 2nd season.

Back
Top Bottom