What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

I've just finished watching EP5 (the final episode) of Mare of Easttown. I enjoyed the show from the beginning till the end.

Now onto Hacks on HBO. I'm on the second episode and I gotta say, I'm loving it! So funny.

There are still 2 more episodes to come for Mare of Easttown.

I hate to say this, since I truly loved seasons 1-3 of The Expanse, but I found season 4 kind of ho-hum until the final episode and season 5 just plain boring and disorganized. Only one season to go and I find I'm not looking forward to it nearly as much as I'd hoped.

Can't believe I only just found Billions. Maybe the older seasons are just recently on Amazon prime. Just finished the first season.

There is a season 3, 4 episodes, but not available on Amazon Prime. It is... well... for me, the show went from "wow, interesting story" (season 1) to "okay... this is getting strange" (season 2) to "what the heck am I watching??" (season 3). :)

I can relate. I started watching S3 EP1 and I just couldn't keep on watching it anymore...

There are still 2 more episodes to come for Mare of Easttown.

Oh, really? Thank you for letting me know! I thought it had ended rather abruptly and I was wondering why some things were not solved LOL. I did wiki it and it showed No. Episodes - 5, but I guess it just means that they've aired 5 shows so far. Great that I can get to enjoy two more episodes!!!

Can't believe I only just found Billions. Maybe the older seasons are just recently on Amazon prime. Just finished the first season.

Yeah, Season 1 was definitely good. I quit watching it after a while, as it was becoming like a pissing contest between two brats/boys... YMMV.

I've just finished watching EP5 (the final episode) of Mare of Easttown. I enjoyed the show from the beginning till the end.

Now onto Hacks on HBO. I'm on the second episode and I gotta say, I'm loving it! So funny.

Interesting article in today's NYTimes. (The article is about five pages.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/17/arts/television/jean-smart-hacks-mare-of-easttown.html

During a scene in which Helen’s daughter, Mare (Kate Winslet), leaves for a date, Smart thought that Helen should lean over the stair rail to spy on her.

The first take went well. So did the next few. Then Smart leaned out too far and tipped over the railing, tumbling down a flight of stairs and landing flat on her back. Winslet rushed to her side.

“I thought she’d broken every bone in her body,” Winslet recalled in a recent phone interview. “And all she could say on the floor was: ‘This is a punishment because I’m such a ham.'"

I hate to say this, since I truly loved seasons 1-3 of The Expanse, but I found season 4 kind of ho-hum until the final episode and season 5 just plain boring and disorganized. Only one season to go and I find I'm not looking forward to it nearly as much as I'd hoped.

The book that covers S04, Cibola Burn, was an excellent book, but I agree with you that the TV production really sagged in the middle episodes. Like you, I'm not finding myself anticipating continuing with the next book and then watching S05 with the same enthusiasm as I had with the first three.

I have enjoyed Love Death + Robots on Netflix. Give some skilled animators a healthy budget and let them exercise their creative muscles. The short film format is nice - none of the shorts is longer than it needs to be. :popcorn:

I started AMC's "Gangs of London" last night. I won't be continuing with it. Overly violent and gory, and the subject matter--the search for the killer of a crime syndicate's patriarch--did not interest me. The heir to the throne is a petulant child-man who is clearly in over his head. There wasn't one character that I remotely liked or identified with.

It gets better.

The heir turns out to show more depth.

Succession on HBO is good too, another show with billionaire characters.

Mare of Eastown & Hacks on HBO
Selena, Luis Miguel, Halston on NetFlix
For all mankind on Apple+

The book that covers S04, Cibola Burn, was an excellent book, but I agree with you that the TV production really sagged in the middle episodes. Like you, I'm not finding myself anticipating continuing with the next book and then watching S05 with the same enthusiasm as I had with the first three.

I'm not sure where we were in the books when we left-off, but I agree it would be hard to know all the details with only the TV show. Too bad the later seasons sagged. I was worried about that.

Yeah, Jean Smart is pretty great, huh. I actually didn't know that she was that good or funny until I watched her on Mare of Easttown. I assumed she'd just play a mom or grandma in some lame Hallmark Channel shows...

she was awesome in hbo's watchmen series.

We’re watching the series “Life in Color” with David Attenborough on Netflix. This is similar to his other nature series, but the focus is on colors, and the photography is amazing. We have an older plasma TV and the scenes are beautiful, I can only imagine what they look like on OLED.

We’re watching the series “Life in Color” with David Attenborough on Netflix. This is similar to his other nature series, but the focus is on colors, and the photography is amazing. We have an older plasma TV and the scenes are beautiful, I can only imagine what they look like on OLED.
On Qled, they were vivid, and we feel like voyeurs?

What is Acorn? Never heard of it.

It is one of the major providers. It is in my top four most watched channels. If you are interested in British (BBC, Australia, Canada) programming, this is a must have channel.

It is one of the major providers. It is in my top four most watched channels. If you are interested in British (BBC, Australia, Canada) programming, this is a must have channel.
Acorn and Britbox are our 2 most watched as well.
Love the foreign crime dramas.

Acorn and Britbox are our 2 most watched as well.
Love the foreign crime dramas.

Yeah, they are much better written. After spending some time with these (BBS-type) programs it is easy to see how poorly written the "major" network (crime) shows are -- melodramatic and biased politically/culturally at the expense of believability.

A good plasma is still better in many ways than OLED when it comes to things like motion handling.

It was abandoned because it would be too prohibitive to raise the resolution to 4K, too energy hungry as well.

There are cinephiles who've hung onto 10 year old plasmas.

Back
Top Bottom