What type of phone do you use or recommend?

I have an iPhone 5s and DH has the SE (looks like the 5s but has better camera, etc.). I went Apple from a crappy free phone because I was the only non-Apple in the extended family and there's a whole lot of FaceTime going on. Wish I had more memory and a better camera but can't get the phone to break to justify replacing it. I keep trying to lose it too but no luck. I would go to the smaller 7 if I had to replace it.

We upgraded our phones back in December. DW has a Lenovo(Motorola) Moto G4. I have the slighly smaller Lenovo (Motorola) Moto G4 Play. They are essentially the same phone but mine is 5.0" vs 5.5" and mine is a slightly slower processor.

We paid $150 for DW's and scored a deal of $100 for mine. My understanding is that they can be used with all the major carriers, but we use them with airvoicewireless (a MVNO that uses the AT&T network). We get unlimited talk and text and 1GB of data for $30/month each.

Very happy with the phone.. it is native Android.. very fast. We use gmail so our email, contact and calendar are seamlessly synched with our laptops and tablets.

There was a day when we would only buy Apple but once we switched to Windows we are all Win and Android now and quite happy with it.

Last edited:
I paid $40 for a Samsung Galaxy S 3 mini several months ago. Works great with decent speed when using data. Only use internet when out of town.

My Galaxy S5 is two years old and I've been very happy with it. It has a microSD card and removable battery and is water resistant. It always ranked at the top of the list of Consumer Reports best phones even after later generations came out. I still use my ancient Garminfone as a standalone GPS which it is (with its lifetime maps from Garmin.) One thing about older phones is you may be limited in the OS you can use. So many newer apps may not work. Of course if you just use your phone as a phone that may not matter.

Samsung Galaxy S7, DW has an iPhone 5S. I detest iOS (Jail) so prefer Android. Also have a K1 Tablet and a MS Surface 4 Pro.

Me: Nexus 5X on Cricket $35 plan.

DW: Iphone 6S on Sprint $45 plan.

I'm staying put but DW is hinting for a "bigger" phone. I guess a "bigger" phone will make her hear better? :LOL:

DW's $5 LG android couldn't keep up with Google's ever-increasing memory needs so it was time for her to get a new one. Last week I bought her a new Huawei P8 Lite for $150. Again, unlocked for her Tracfone account. I looked at the Mot G4 but didn't want the constant adverts the comparably priced versions had.

I replaced my Samsung S3 a few months ago. I need a higher functioning phone but couldn't justify the big $ for another Samsung. I bought an unlocked Honor 8 (also made by Huawei) to use on my ATT account for <1/2 the cost of a similar Samsung or iPhone. Very pleased with it. I probably would have just kept the old S3 and not buy a phone but after trying 4 different new batteries, there was no way it would last the day.

Both are 5" screens and are the limits for us.

Anyone want a slightly used S3 with lousy battery life?

I probably would have just kept the old S3 and not buy a phone but after trying 4 different new batteries, there was no way it would last the day.
Just an FYI to Android users with battery drain issues: the facebook app if you have it could be the culprit. Try removing the app and see if that makes a difference.

I had a Nexus 5 that I loved but it was lost on a recent vacation. I replaced it with a OnePlus 3T. Flagship spec for $399. DW uses a Moto G4 which was $150 late last year. Both have the 5.5" screen. We both use Ting, which is a pay-for-what-you-use MVNO with access to both Sprint and T-Mobile networks.

A four year old HTC One S. (Android 4.xx something) Battery life is not good if you are a heavy user, but seldom an issue for me as I can always plug it into the car dash and some days, like today, it never left the kitchen counter.....I don't need a constant companion.

It costs abit more than what i paid, but still available

I am the proud owner of a Motorola W233. i got it used on eBay for 9 dollars including shipping. I bought it right after i retired so im thinking the spring of 2009. Its still going strong, I loaded it up with 1000 minutes initially, and they last a year. i add 20 bucks one a year and the unused minutes roll over to the next year period. The screen says some now defunct cell phone company, but it works like a charm with a t mobile sim card. It does everything i need , like when i have to go to a funeral home in Long Island and i get lost , i call the Parlor and tell them im at the intersection of so and so what do i do now? Or when the bride sends me to the store for 1 or 2 items and i forgot what she said. Its awesome , battery lasts for weeks without usage, it has text message capabilities but i dont use that function. It has a tools button that has a calendar for reminders and a calculator. I use those. As a matter of fact i put in a reminder that i need to send out another 5 THOUSAND in estimated tax. Cell phone is not a line item in my budget the 20 bucks falls into the livin large misc category.:cool:> By the way every word in this post is 100 % fact, we live a simple life.

Motorola MOTO W233 Green T-Mobile Basic Cellular Bar Phone 610214617927 | eBay I just saw the seller is also in New York City, i assure you its not me, I love my phone.

Last edited:
I just bought a discounted Nexus 5X for $250 and signed up for Google Project Fi. In general I buy used Nexus GSM phones that are one or two generations old. Let the early adopters take the depreciation. Then I use them until there is some specific reason that I need to upgrade. Just like buying a used car and driving it until it gets a terminal illness.

Project Fi was the change driver this time, causing me to ditch my Nexus 4. Basic charge is $20/month, unlimited talk and text in the US using WiFi (VoIP), Sprint or T-Mobile networks opportunistically. Also phone & text coverage in 135 countries, sometimes free (Canada, for example) and sometimes at fairly low rates. Data is $10/GB, pay only for what you use & no minimum. Same data price in any of 135 countries around the world. Last month my data bill was $0.97. They also provide free data-only SIM cards, so both of our Nexus 7 tablets are also on the same $10/GB deal at no extra cost. We typically travel internationally a couple of times a year so the international features are a big advantage for us. https://fi.google.com

Prior to switching, I was on a family plan with my wife at https://www.puretalkusa.com/. Paid $15/month total for both phones. Don't remember how many minutes, but unused minutes rolled over to the next month & we are not heavy users so we pretty quickly built up a huge bank. Maybe they killed that plan, tho, as I don't see it on their site any more. Still, I think what they do offer still looks pretty good.
Thanks for mentioning Project Fi. DW could use a new phone and going with a Nexus 5x + Project Fi would be please her. Then I could move my Nexus 6P over to Project Fi which I've been exceedingly slow to pull the trigger on. We currently use Tmobil so wouldn't be a big change for us, just lower costs of maybe $60/mo versus $90/mo.

....I looked at the Mot G4 but didn't want the constant adverts the comparably priced versions had. .....

I probably would have just kept the old S3 and not buy a phone but after trying 4 different new batteries, there was no way it would last the day. ...

Neither of our Moto G4's have ads....what are you talking about?

On the last part, similar experience with my S2, replaced battery and it still couldn't last a whole day.

To me the iphone and the Samsung Galaxy are way overpriced for delivered value. I own a Galaxy S7.

My next phone will be much cheaper.

My DW and I alternate years getting new iPhones. She has an iPhone 7 and I have a 6S+.

I'm very much looking forward to a new iPhone 8 this fall. The feature I'm hoping for the most is wireless charging. We'll see.

For the Neanderthal types (such as myself) I can speak highly of my Motorola Moto E (1st gen) a just the basics smart phone costing the princely sum of $20. It works surprisingly well with the Tracfone account which costs me $99 a year for 1200 call minutes/1200 texts and 1.2 g of data which actually lasts me a year just fine since the great majority of the time I have access to wifi for calling and data.

Neither of our Moto G4's have ads....what are you talking about?

On the last part, similar experience with my S2, replaced battery and it still couldn't last a whole day.

Amazon has a deal on the G4 (not g4 play) where the phone is much cheaper if you allow ads to be on the screen when you are locked. Same thing they do with kindle fires... Both my sons have the amazon moto g4 with ads. They ignore the ads. The ads are downloaded/stored when you're on wifi... so they don't use data.

I have the moto g4 without ads. Best phone I've had in a while.

Like many here - I do not need the latest/greatest... but did get this phone this past december... my old phone's battery wouldn't support pokemen go without being plugged into an external battery. Yes - I'm a middle aged (old?) woman who plays pokemon go. That was the driver for changing phones. The G4 has excellent battery life and is a great phone.

My husband is in the market for a new phone. His moto e3 is constantly running out of memory - so he goes through the process of deleting apps, dumping pictures... only to have to rinse/repeat a week later.

Based on pb4uski's post - I'm looking at the moto g4 play. He likes a small form factor and that seems to fit the bill.

Actually I had the G4 for a few weeks... I loved the phone but just found it a bit large for my liking... luckily, DW xpressed an interest in getting a new phone and liked mine so I gave her my G4 and went out and bought a G4 Play. It's only 1/2" smaller but makes a big difference in my pant's pocket.

I have a Moto G 4gen from Amazon Prime. It was $150, but now I see it for $100.
Works great except the camera lens cover is scratched up. Hoping someone sells a new lens cover soon.
Apple got to expensive for the nominal difference in quality. $1,000 for a piece of hardware sure to be obsolete in two years doesn't suit my mentality.

Edit - new cover available on eBay for four bucks with shipping.

Last edited:
Just retired my iPhone 5S after nearly 4yrs, only complaint was running low on 16gb memory. Inherited DD's 2 yr old iPhone 6 with 64gb when battery died and she upgraded to iPhone 7. Had new battery installed for $55 and it's an upgrade for me, heck it's pristine I doubt it ever even left her hands.

The best smartphone I have is the Motorola E 2nd Generation. I think I paid about $55 for it 2 years ago.
Very happy with my Moto E. Paid less than $30 for a new one. No flash on the camera, though.

Back
Top Bottom