WiFi controllers

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I've been doing a bit of tech upgrading to my life. First I got a couple WiFi switches that I could plug lamps into and work them off my phone and they also provided for a much better solution than an old mechanical timer.

Then I got a WiFi thermometer (a Sensi). I wanted it mainly to control my temps better and use a little less gas. My old thermostat didn't have the programming ability this one does. Very flexible. I don't mind being able to bump up the temp from my chair either :)

Yesterday, I installed a WiFi controller on my garage door. I really like this piece of equipment. It was very easy to install. Basically, you just plug it in and the wires to the garage door opener use the same connection as the basic switch on the wall. You then connect it through an app on your phone and you can open or close the door from anywhere. It also had a simple wire with a sensor on the end to allow you to know whether or not your door is open or closed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W4CSDRK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know they make openers that have this functionality, but for not too much money and a pretty simple install, it was a nice retrofit to my existing opener.

No telling what's next, but I'm pretty happy with this gadgets. I need to link them to Alexa at some point, but I'm in no hurry to do that. Also, the thermostat has geofencing (beta) that turns the temp down in the house if I'm three miles away and back up again when I get close. I may play with that a little bit as I think that makes a lot of sense to reduce the heat when I'm not in the house. Not sure how DW will react to that when the house gets cold every time I leave, but I guess that's the price of progress :D

Last edited:
Wifi switches are great. I have one to turn on/off a cat camera. Another to remotely turn on my computer or remote computing.

I've been doing a bit of tech upgrading to my life. First I got a couple WiFi switches that I could plug lamps into and work them off my phone and they also provided for a much better solution than an old mechanical timer.

Then I got a WiFi thermometer (a Sensi). I wanted it mainly to control my temps better and use a little less gas. My old thermostat didn't have the programming ability this one does. Very flexible. I don't mind being able to bump up the temp from my chair either :)

Yesterday, I installed a WiFi controller on my garage door. I really like this piece of equipment. It was very easy to install. Basically, you just plug it in and the wires to the garage door opener use the same connection as the basic switch on the wall. You then connect it through an app on your phone and you can open or close the door from anywhere. It also had a simple wire with a sensor on the end to allow you to know whether or not your door is open or closed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W4CSDRK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know they make openers that have this functionality, but for not too much money and a pretty simple install, it was a nice retrofit to my existing opener.

No telling what's next, but I'm pretty happy with this gadgets. I need to link them to Alexa at some point, but I'm in no hurry to do that. Also, the thermostat has geofencing (beta) that turns the temp down in the house if I'm three miles away and back up again when I get close. I may play with that a little bit as I think that makes a lot of sense to reduce the heat when I'm not in the house. Not sure how DW will react to that when the house gets cold every time I leave, but I guess that's the price of progress :D

We have our most frequently used lights hooked to Alexa so they are voice controlled or on a schedule (front porch). Love, love, love the ability to turn lights on and off (or % up or down) without going to the lamp. Also, we are saving money with our Ecobee thermostat and you just can't beat telling it to change temp up or down by voice (important for FL because increase in humidity can make it feel warm even if temp is acceptable).

I also like the usage report from the thermostat. Helps me get a better idea of what’s going on with my furnace. Surprising how much more it runs as the weather has gotten colder.

... the thermostat has geofencing (beta) that turns the temp down in the house if I'm three miles away and back up again when I get close. I may play with that a little bit as I think that makes a lot of sense to reduce the heat when I'm not in the house. Not sure how DW will react to that when the house gets cold every time I leave, but I guess that's the price of progress :D

Besides turning off the heat when you are away, don't forget to turn off the lights too, to save power. And the TV.

And check to see if they have a receiver that can handle the water heater too.

Last edited:
I really like my Kasa TP-Link smart outlet; the app has a "vacation" setting that can randomly turn the light on and off between local sundown and a set time (we use 10:54pm), so it isn't as easy to observe that it's on a timer. But my favorite is the Kwikset smart lock; everyone has their own code, so when I get an alert it tells me who unlocked the door, and I can unlock it with the Samsung Smartthings app from the driveway, which is great when it's raining or my hands will be full.

Something I have used to coordinate between wifi switches is the IFTTT web site. It stands for 'If This Then That'. There are many apps and devices that can be linked with IFTTT.

https://ifttt.com/

Here are some examples of how I use it:
1) I have wifi toggle switches from iSmartAlarm on three lamps. Using the IFTTT site, I setup up a sequence that uses the weather underground app to determine when sunset is and the lamps turn on at sunset. So I titled it <At sunset [from weather underground], turn on living room [iSmartAlarm] smart switch>. I also set up a sequence to turn off the lights in a phased manner after 11:00 pm for when we are not home.
2) I used IFTTT to change my iSmartAlarm from 'armed' to 'Home' settings every morning at the time I usually get out of bed. There is another setting at night that changes it to 'armed' from 'home'. So it is <every day at 7:00 am [on time app in IFTTT] set [ismartalarm] system to home>
3) Using IFTTT, I created a setting that turns my android phone ringer on when my phone arrives home. The program uses a location app to determine when the phone has arrived home. <Automatically unmute your Android when you get back home>
4) for the iSmartAlarm, I made one <when leaving home [android app], Alarm sets to Arm>

If my WIFI enabled Honeywell thermostat was a little smarter I could make IFTTT commands to tie that to other apps also.

In case you are wondering, the iSmartAlarm is a bare bones home security system with no monthly fee. It doesn't always work wonderfully, but it suits my needs. The IFTTT website makes it work better.

I really like my Kasa TP-Link smart outlet; the app has a "vacation" setting that can randomly turn the light on and off between local sundown and a set time (we use 10:54pm), so it isn't as easy to observe that it's on a timer.

I know nothing about smart outlets but see quite a few brands on Amazon, with varying prices. Looking to pick some up to use with my Echo. They all look alike to me, I see some can handle high power appliances (15A), others don't. Do most of them offer that same general control capabilities like the feature you describe above for the Kasa TP-Link or is that unique to that brand?

I know nothing about smart outlets but see quite a few brands on Amazon, with varying prices. Looking to pick some up to use with my Echo. They all look alike to me, I see some can handle high power appliances (15A), others don't. Do most of them offer that same general control capabilities like the feature you describe above for the Kasa TP-Link or is that unique to that brand?

Knowing what I know now about that IFTTT website, I would make sure the switches you buy are represented on the IFTTT website. It looks like many brands are on there already.

Sorry, I picked that one because it was on sale on Amazon, and so I decided to give it a try. I have no idea what other apps do, this is the only smart plug I have.

I'm going to wait until I'm sure that the internet is not just a fad like CB radio. Otherwise I'll have a whole pile of useless stuff.

Thanks timo2, I was wondering what IFTTT was and how it worked. I’ll look into it. I like the lamp going on at sunset without having to adjust the scheduled program frequently.

Edit to add:

I’m all set! I’ll be hanging around the family room at sunset to see if it works.

Last edited:
I have a wifi thermostat and a wifi switch and some wifi cameras. And, of course, a few Echo's. Don't know that I would use a wifi garage door opener. Would not use a front door device as we are in a rural area. I am always studying wifi devices looking for the latest and greatest.

I have 7 wifi cameras on 2 different apps. I need to streamline this.

I had a wifi controlled garage door that couldn't be controlled by wifi that came with my opener. Couldn't get wifi in my garage. I have since added a router in my garage and created a garage wifi network. Maybe I'll give this a try again.

But I definitely need to get some wifi switches.

I have 7 wifi cameras on 2 different apps. I need to streamline this.

I had a wifi controlled garage door that couldn't be controlled by wifi that came with my opener. Couldn't get wifi in my garage. I have since added a router in my garage and created a garage wifi network. Maybe I'll give this a try again.

But I definitely need to get some wifi switches.

How is your garage router connected to your main internet feed?

I have nine wifi cameras in two houses; 12 remote switches, seven temperature sensors and two remote door locks.

I use a wifi switch on a few of the critical cameras in case the camera needs to be rebooted and I can do it remotely (it does happen from time to time).

So...If I have a water leak in the basement, I really need that camera to work 100% of the time. I can reboot it from anywhere and I can unlock the basement door for the plumber remotely as well. Or for any other type of issue.

You ever consider Powerline for the garage? Much easier not to mention tidier than a long run of ethernet cable.

I did look at it after your suggestion. But my detached garage workshop is on a separate electric line and meter from the house. So Powerline was out. Then I looked at MoCa - but that would have cost me about $180 to save $7 per month cable bill, so I didn't do it.

But I'm getting a fairly strong signal in the workshop now. I may throw a Firestick out there and see if it works.

I put my hibiscus tree in the workshop for the winter. Now that I have WiFi out there, I'm thinking of making a Wifi controlled watering system for it. But I don't want a tub of water sitting around my tools.

Power line works well for me but it will never be as fast as an Ethernet wiring and is subject to the age and health of your interior circuits. Also key is a what electrical equipment is plugged in near the power line adapter as they are very sensitive to interference. I run a signal around the house with it happily and did in our last place as well. The best connection rates as 1240 Mbps, but the speed of the whole line reduces to that of the worst connection, which in my case is 512. Perfectly fine for anything I want to do, but far below what a direct wired connection would be.

In my last house I did the smart home thing with smart switches and outlets connected to a computer along with the garage door and home security system. It all worked pretty well. I am doing the electrical wiring in my new house now and plan to hard wire cable, ethernet, security sensors, window shade controllers, etc. before drywall goods up. I prefer the hard wire to wireless. I hope to have just one app that can monitor and control everything. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the newer wifi approach.

Back
Top Bottom