13 Sailors on USS Roosevelt Relapse

Status
Not open for further replies.

cathy63

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This is similar to some of the reports from China and South Korea, where people seem to recover fully and then come down with symptoms again. The Roosevelt had 970 cases in the first round, and now 13 have relapsed.

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...velt-sailors-test-positive-for-covid-19-again

The U.S. Navy says 13 sailors from the USS Theodore Roosevelt who had apparently recovered from the coronavirus and had received negative test results have now tested positive for a second time.
the Navy said the sailors had "met rigorous recovery criteria, exceeding CDC guidelines," including testing negative for the virus at least twice, but have now retested positive.
"These five Sailors developed influenza-like illness symptoms and did the right thing reporting to medical for evaluation," the statement said.

The Navy has since confirmed to NPR that an additional eight sailors have retested positive for coronavirus, bringing the total to 13.

Very interesting.

1.3%

Bad testing? Morphing virus? You really can get it again?

Note to self - stay away from aircraft carriers.

I believe nothing I read these days. There are way too many variables and unknown. Most notably, I suppose which means I do believe it, these tests have extremely high false positives. Nobody knows.

This is similar to some of the reports from China and South Korea, where people seem to recover fully and then come down with symptoms again. The Roosevelt had 970 cases in the first round, and now 13 have relapsed.

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...velt-sailors-test-positive-for-covid-19-again
Thanks, cathy63. Good article. This also pointed out:

"As NPR has reported, authorities in South Korea have documented a growing number of such cases. Health officials have said they believe the virus may be capable of becoming dormant and later reactivating in some people's immune systems."

So about 1.3% of those who had it before relapsed?

The bean counters are doing their thing (1.3%). Lol

Thanks for that article.

1.3%

Bad testing? Morphing virus? You really can get it again?

Viruses are hard to master (compared to bacterial infections). Herpes viruses sit around in your spine for a while and pop up from time to time to say hello. It could be that individuals never really get rid of SARS-CoV-2, their body just puts a lid on it for now.

If we don't get a vaccine, we are still going to be discussing these issues in a year or more from now. But hopefully by then we will at least have realised that our horizon for dealing with both the virus and the fallout from it on the way we live needs to be measured in years, not months.

Well, it's 1.3% so far; it went from 5 to 13 in a day, so it could be much higher next week or next month. One thing about the captive population on an aircraft carrier is that there's a level of consistency in testing and treatment that you don't get in the general population, so statistics from this group are quite interesting to me.

I think you mean USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71) and not the USS Roosevelt (DDG-80). (I served five years on TR and got counseled once because I referred to her as Roosevelt instead of Theodore Roosevelt)

Friend’s son is still on the ship and has tested negative twice. He hasn’t told his parents about the recurring positives, so his mom is going to call him and see what the scoop is.

Relapse, reinfection, another virus, faulty testing, etc (or all of the above). Still lots to learn. Then when we do get a vaccine we start over to learn how well/long it works. Let's just stay at home until this is all figured out. :LOL:

Well, it's 1.3% so far; it went from 5 to 13 in a day, so it could be much higher next week or next month. One thing about the captive population on an aircraft carrier is that there's a level of consistency in testing and treatment that you don't get in the general population, so statistics from this group are quite interesting to me.

Yes very interesting, and seems pretty reliable as the population is accounted for pretty strictly.

So my guess, they never fully recovered and were below the detection limits of the tests or sample issues resulting in false negatives. Would be interesting to see if they developed IgM antibody or possible IgG, I would guess not. Shows that so far 99% did not relapse with 900+ positives running around good that the natural vaccine is 99% effective. Since there are 5+ million confirmed infected you would think there would be many more "relapse" if it was prevalent....Maybe there will be... time will tell.

So my guess, they never fully recovered and were below the detection limits of the tests or sample issues resulting in false negatives. Would be interesting to see if they developed IgM antibody or possible IgG, I would guess not. Shows that so far 99% did not relapse with 900+ positives running around good that the natural vaccine is 99% effective. Since there are 5+ million confirmed infected you would think there would be many more "relapse" if it was prevalent....Maybe there will be... time will tell.
Yeah, that’s what I figure. Their bodies take a really long time to get rid of the virus.

But if levels are below the detection limits for a while, maybe they aren’t shedding much and thus aren’t contagious during that time?

Wow, so much to learn about this virus!

Herd immunity is wishful thinking with a mutating virus. The common cold(s) and various flu strains are all derivatives of their predecessors.
What is more important is the severity of the cases in those catching it again.

Yeah, that’s what I figure. Their bodies take a really long time to get rid of the virus.

But if levels are below the detection limits for a while, maybe they aren’t shedding much and thus aren’t contagious during that time?

Wow, so much to learn about this virus!
Yea, I know 7 billion other people who would be interested in knowing, as well.

Herd immunity is wishful thinking with a mutating virus. The common cold(s) and various flu strains are all derivatives of their predecessors.
What is more important is the severity of the cases in those catching it again.

Plus they could test the DNA of the virus when the sailors had it the first time to the second time and see if it did mutate or not.
This would result in different directions of study.

Perhaps it didn't mutate, but is the same virus in the people, so does that mean no immunity, or they never got rid of it as it had levels so low everyone thought it was cured, and then blossomed back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom