A personal Covid Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's good news for sure

when not proning, if he can raise his hands over his shoulders that helps with breathing, also sitting up as straight as possible (if possible)

incentive spirometer also very helpful when he is able

Jeffery is on a ventilator as of this morning..

As difficult as this is, we must keep hope alive. My Dad's friend in his 50s, no underlying conditions, was on a ventilator for 4 weeks in April, 2020. He dealt with feeling short of breath and fatigue for 3 months afterwards, but he is doing well now. He did develop high blood pressure, treated with drugs. We're all here for you, and will remain hopeful.

Wow, so sorry to hear all this. Glad you are able to talk to the doctor to monitor his progress. May his lungs heal and not take long!

Yes, as soon as he was admitted into hospital but it didn’t work. The article below from February describes how the new variants have already built resistance. (Kent variant = UK variant)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...pe-in-covid-treatments-fails-against-variants
Wow - so sad to know that monoclonal antibodies aren’t working against the variants. I guess they have to change the antibodies for each variant?

Shocking really - you learn something new everyday!

I don’t think the news has gotten out in the US that monoclonal antibodies are not effective or not as effective against B117 (UK, Kent) and that is now the dominant variant in the US!

Maybe the Regen-Cov cocktail still is https://www.europeanpharmaceuticalr...-not-effective-against-new-covid-19-variants/

Last edited:
Wow - so sad to know that monoclonal antibodies aren’t working against the variants. I guess they have to change the antibodies for each variant?

Shocking really - you learn something new everyday!

I don’t think the news has gotten out in the US that monoclonal antibodies are not effective or not as effective against B117 (UK, Kent) and that is now the dominant variant in the US!

Maybe the Regen-Cov cocktail still is https://www.europeanpharmaceuticalr...-not-effective-against-new-covid-19-variants/

Yes, it is a continual battle against the mutating virus. Infection levels are at the lowest they have been in many months as are the number of people in hospitals with Covid. The hospital Jeffrey is in is a large regional hospital and they are down to their lowest levels for many months with only 27 Covid patients, 6 of them in ICU (Jeffrey being one of them). I think he is desperately unlucky to have caught the virus and for it to be resistant to the drug treatments so far.

Yes, really bad luck unfortunately, including being too young to be vaccinated yet. So frustrating!

Alan, I can't imagine how difficult and scary this is.

I send continued daily prayers that Jeffrey will improve shortly.

I'm going to do something we do in our church family when someone has a crisis.

Tomorrow morning at 9PM CT..( the middle of the day for Alan) I am going to send up some prayers for his family.

I'm going to pray that Jeffery is comfortable and healing on the vent.

I'm going to pray that Alan and his family have some small measure of peace as they wait helplessly by the phone for news.

I'm going to pray for the medical people caring for Jeffery as they deal with the horrible reality of Covid.

Wherever you are and whatever power you believe in, you are welcome to join me as we send up prayers together for this family in dire straits.

I was thinking the same thing. Not that it really matters, but i think you mean 9AM not pm. Central time. Got it. I’m in. Praying for the best.

I was thinking the same thing. Not that it really matters, but i think you mean 9AM not pm. Central time. Got it. I’m in. Praying for the best.

Yes 9 AM..thanks for catching that.

Edited my post.

Last edited:
Keep the faith Alan. We are all here for you and whatever we can provide in good thoughts.

Those are exactly our thoughts as well. This morning's phone call with him was very emotional, he continues to be in a lot of pain and just wants it to be over. The 3 of us knew that this might be the last conversation we ever have.

Alan, what devastating news and how difficult that conversation must have been for the three of you. We are all hoping for the best for him, and for you and your other family members. :( :'(

The hospital Jeffrey is in is a large regional hospital and they are down to their lowest levels for many months with only 27 Covid patients, 6 of them in ICU (Jeffrey being one of them). I think he is desperately unlucky to have caught the virus...

So true - he was unlucky to have caught it. I hope that on a positive note he is lucky that the hospital has both experience and capacity at this point with staff that are not exhausted from slogging through an overload of cases!

I put an alert on my calendar for tomorrow, 10am ET.

Someone could bump this topic up ahead of time.

Alan, my heart goes out to you and your family. Wishing for healing for your son and peace for you and your wife as you wait for his recovery. I just can’t imagine how hard this is.

Alan - Jeffrey, Irene, and you are in my thoughts. Hopes and positive thoughts that the vent allows him to recover and heal.

Someone could bump this topic up ahead of time.

My church started doing this during Covid when we couldn't gather normally. Everyone that wants to would pray on their own privately at a certain time. We had members suffering from Covid and wanted to express our concern. We call it petition in prayer, so everyone that wants to can participate, it doesn't matter where or who you pray to.

We just use our own words and beliefs and perhaps good thoughts to reach out for the family. Open to all, because there can't be too much care and concern when someone is hurting.

Peace and good wishes to all the caring people posting encouragement and concern to Alan and the family. I have no intention of hijacking here, I just feel helpless against Covid as we all do and this will make me feel less helpless...

+1. I will be praying for Jeffery, Alan and Irene. Also, praying for Alan's daughter in CA. It must be very difficult for her also being away from her family during this difficult time.

Oh Alan and Irene, I just saw this thread and I am so sorry to read this. My heart is with you, I can not imagine how worried you all must be. I wish there was something I could do or say to help.

Molly and I send our love.

This is so heart breaking Alan. Complete strangers on this forum feel so much like friends and family. I am rooting for you and your family and sending a special prayer for Jeffrey and for peace and comfort as you handle such difficulty. Hang in there.

My church started doing this during Covid when we couldn't gather normally. Everyone that wants to would pray on their own privately at a certain time. We had members suffering from Covid and wanted to express our concern. We call it petition in prayer, so everyone that wants to can participate, it doesn't matter where or who you pray to.

My prayer for Jeffrey and his family for will be joining all yours, tonight and tomorrow.

Thank you everyone. We will join you in prayers today at 10am ET.

We are doing our best to stay busy and keep positive, in fact we just got off the phone with the ICU and received some good news. They did not turn him onto his front last night as planned because his stats and bloodwork have improved to the point that they have reduced the oxygen he is getting to 40%. Later in the morning after the doctors’ rounds they will make a plan for the next 24 hours. The doctor yesterday said that his condition will swing up and down from day to day and even hour to hour. It’s good that this first change is a swing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom