As Things Reopen I am Voting With my Purse

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP here, very true but each of us can make our own decisions about where to spend our money and I personally am going to spend my money at businesses where masks are worn and other safety precautions taken. I don't think I will have any trouble finding such places to spend money.

Me too. because to me the masks on the employees symbolizes that the operators of the establishment are taking the medical situation seriously and have a better chance of taking other precautions such as cleaning appropriately, social distancing, etc. Especially if masks are mandated for workers in the area. No masks on the employees when required sends the wrong message to me.

The beaches are open in N.C.! Here’s some fresh fish caught surf fishing + scored a cheap Airbnb at preseason rates and bought a yearlong fishing license- salt and fresh water! Looking forward to the season! IMG_3336.JPG

Mod note: If this discussion is to continue, please keep it on target of the various shopping/spending you plan to do, and leave protests and partisanship out of the thread.

I hadn't eaten any prepared food since mid February. My craving for McDonald's got the best of me yesterday. A 1/4 pounder with cheese meal. It was to die for.

The employees @ the pay & pick up windows were both wearing masks & gloves.
Don't know if other fast food restaurants are taking the same precautions, but since McDonald's is, I'll vote with my purse and continue stopping there about 12 times a year after things get back to normal (hopefully sooner than later)

Last edited:
I hadn't eaten any prepared food since mid February. My craving for McDonald's got the best of me yesterday. A 1/4 pounder with cheese meal. It was to die for.

Careful... I don't think I'm going to be using that expression to describe restaurant food for the foreseeable future.

Unfortunately, whether or not to require a mask has taken on a partisan tone and found yet another way to divide the country.

Not sure it is true related specifically to wearing masks by me, but definitely feelings about the medical/economy battle is drawn along partisan lines among our friends, along with general chances of getting the virus and how it was handled.

Mod note: If this discussion is to continue, please keep it on target of the various shopping/spending you plan to do, and leave protests and partisanship out of the thread.

My fish aren’t partisan or political. They are just sorry that the beaches are now open so they have more predators! I intend to continue
Shopping and spending on businesses that reopen safely in my area!!

Detroit!

I don't care about masks and gloves, I'm going where I've always gone.

Before all of this my husband and I dined out a lot. I really and truly want to support the businesses when they are allowed to reopen. But I see issues

Primarily, the stay at home to date has been so loose that the virus levels are not suppressed to the degree needed to reopen. Yet because of the economic suffering many places are opening early and I am feeling like my area will open up based on economic suffering as well.

So do I put myself, and by extension, my loved ones at risk by going to restaurants where pretty much by default my risk will be higher? I think my answer will be to minimize how much of this i do. And I think that a large percent of people will feel this way as well.

So my fear is we will end up with both the economic suffering and the disease suffering.

I spend my time in medium / large city and resort areas attracting people from those types of cities. It may be different for people who don’t live in areas like this.

So will I vote with my purse? Only if I see data showing minimal virus cases in my area. I am not optimistic there will be this data when we reopen.

Before all of this my husband and I dined out a lot. I really and truly want to support the businesses when they are allowed to reopen. But I see issues

So will I vote with my purse? Only if I see data showing minimal virus cases in my area. I am not optimistic there will be this data when we reopen.
The OP was talking about choosing safety versus non safety conscious merchants. Not wholely avoiding industry sectors like your restaurant example. We’re saddened by the outlook for restaurants as well, but we will go to restaurants that take coronavirus seriously and avoid those less serious. We won’t be first in line, but we’ll continue to support them with carry out 3 times/week until we feel safe dining in. I fully expect some restaurants won’t survive coronavirus...

Last edited:
I agree with many of the postings here regarding workers wearing PPE and taking COVID-19 seriously for safety reasons. However, shouldn't those safety processes/procedures extend to require customers to wear a mask (like Costco)? Establishments that extend such safety measures will surly get my vote.

I too am confused on exactly how restaurant patrons are going to manage wearing a mask during the dining experience.

I agree with many of the postings here regarding workers wearing PPE and taking COVID-19 seriously for safety reasons. However, shouldn't those safety processes/procedures extend to require customers to wear a mask (like Costco)? Establishments that extend such safety measures will surly get my vote.

I too am confused on exactly how restaurant patrons are going to manage wearing a mask during the dining experience.

Yes I think many of us are saying that "are you taking safety seriously" should apply to everyone in the establishment - customer and staff - or it's useless.

Restaurants with reduced capacity, eh...maybe that'll comfort me? Convert to more booths, plexiglass planes between tables maybe.

In FL, we typically have dinner outdoors when there is a patio table, we'll do that longer than normal this year, and look for places with well spaced seating.

Yes I think many of us are saying that "are you taking safety seriously" should apply to everyone in the establishment - customer and staff - or it's useless.

Restaurants with reduced capacity, eh...maybe that'll comfort me? Convert to more booths, plexiglass planes between tables maybe.

In FL, we typically have dinner outdoors when there is a patio table, we'll do that longer than normal this year, and look for places with well spaced seating.

Same here.

Same here.

I'm in SE Fla so we'll be last to open, I'm missing my prime-outdoor-dinner months now, as April and May are usually perfect. I think we'll get restaurants open here later this month After June, I'll probably have to dress quite a bit more casually to withstand the heat, but a little sweat and frizzy hair will be worth the trade off.

Our favorite sushi place already has our one favorite outdoor table that is 8' away from the others. I've been doing take out with them all lock-down and plan to reserve that one table every week, even if it means changing to an off night or going a bit earlier.

I'm in SE Fla so we'll be last to open, I'm missing my prime-outdoor-dinner months now, as April and May are usually perfect. I think we'll get restaurants open here later this month After June, I'll probably have to dress quite a bit more casually to withstand the heat, but a little sweat and frizzy hair will be worth the trade off.

Our favorite sushi place already has our one favorite outdoor table that is 8' away from the others. I've been doing take out with them all lock-down and plan to reserve that one table every week, even if it means changing to an off night or going a bit earlier.

I am in Tampa.
However the DGF gets cold easily, but in this timing the "summer" type weather is when she more frequently will accept eating outside, as long as it is covered in some fashion.

Of course there are people protesting the stores where it is mandatory. So we may get to a point where stores pick up some non-mask wearing customers while losing some mask-only customers.
That describes me. If a store requires me to wear a mask, I will go somewhere else. I suspect that most businesses will not want to turn away customers because they are not wearing a mask, but the issue may come to a head if most of the other customers get offended and leave or refuse to return because there are people present without masks, then the business owner will have to make a business decision about whether it is more profitable to prohibit customers who are not wearing masks or allow it.

I also have the impression that some stores are putting up signs stating their corporate policy to require everyone to wear a mask or practice social distancing while the policy is not actually enforced by the store management or employees. I sympathize with store managers and employees who were not involved with making the policy and are just trying to get through their shift and do not want to confront customers to be mask wearing or social distancing police.

Last edited:
Op here --in North Carolina masks are strongly recommended but not mandated. But some stores are requiring them.

Actually that is city to city too, Raleigh isn't mandating, but Durham put out a mandate April 18th if you can't maintain 6 ft which is pretty impossible to guarantee in any store.

I totally agree with the pocketbook, we are doing the same, we are out in Brier Creek, Tasu did a terrible job with no masks, no signage, people were hanging out in the lobby with over 10 people all not with masks on, I was like no. Then we went to Pho Experess who actually shut down and did construction to build a take out window at the entrance to allow for minimal contact. Been very happy with lots of places curbside pickup, and happy to give them business even if they are big box stores...if I don't have to go in, I'm fine with that.

As far as dining outside, it's not quite warm enough most days around here to do that. I've seen a few people starting to eat in their cars in the parking lot. DD told me yesterday they had to chase away some people who were eating Chipotle's food (from next door) at one of their (Panera Bread) outside tables. They hadn't bought anything from Panera Bread either, so that takes a lot of nerve, IMO. Dining rooms are still closed. My guess is that dining at outside tables isn't allowed either, even though technically it's not a room.

As far as safety and wearing of masks, I urge a bit of compassion as we all try to navigate our way through this. On the worker side, I've learned from my kids that after several hours of having to wear masks, the workers start getting headaches and feeling ill. It's worse if the environment is hot, like in a kitchen. This morning the cashier at Panera Bread looked tired and she said she was already hot in her mask. She's an older lady, too. Walmart has a good number of older employees. This morning I saw one of them filling online orders. He had his bandanna down around his neck. I've seen him with it covering his face before, so I figure he literally needed to take a breather and he's stuck out there on the floor having to hurry up and get those orders filled. I get it. My head feels slightly stuffy having my bandanna on just doing grocery shopping for an hour or less and I have no breathing issues normally. These working folks are having to put in maybe 8 hours with them on. (DS put in an 11 hour double shift on Sunday in a hot kitchen.) It's not an enviable position to be in and, despite that, they're doing their best to be cheerful and friendly to the customers.

On the customer side, I noticed this morning (between 8 and 9 AM) that most customers in Walmart had some sort of face covering, as compared to about half from last week. Of those who didn't, they were older customers. No judgment from me. They might have some breathing impairment or serious health issue. Grocery shopping is challenging enough without having to step over the bodies of passed out folks. :cool:

Op here, I have decided to try to spend my money at places where the customers AND employees all wear masks. I don't know how the restaurant thing is going to work--I may not be eating inside a restaurant for a long time. I don't see how many restaurants are going to make it, most of them operate on a shoe string anyway.

Individuals have always been told to have an emergency fund of at least 6 months. Why don't small businesses like restaurants have an emergency fund to tide them over during emergencies like this?

It will be a while before LA city opens up anything. I am happy to order online for delivery. I have 4-5 stores to choose from: Costco, Amazon (Whole Foods), Walmart, and a couple of ethnic stores. I will continue to order online even after stores are open.

I am waiting for the local trailhead to open so I can go for a hike, with my mask on.

Shockingly to us, we are being ridiculed for hiking with masks, and it is getting worse week by week here (OC, California). I'd say less than 10% of those on the fairly urban/busy trail we hiked on yesterday had masks with them. Somehow wearing a mask is now being perceived as a line in the sand issue. How on earth did this happen:confused:

Forget about me telling someone else what to do - I completely fail to understand why my choosing to wear a mask is somehow perceived as a personal threat to those who choose not to.

And the same is occurring, though at a slightly slower rate, within retail establishments. I will admit right here that I am feeling increasingly bitter about my fellow humans. I fear that being my personal legacy from the pandemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom