Carnival to resume limited domestic cruises on August 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
But don't worry they are committed to following public health guidelines and the safety of their passengers and crew is their number one concern.

Anyone ready to book?

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

We canceled June around British isles and Norway when this started. My biggest fear is one low bid foreign doctor for 6000 sick people.
I don’t want to be one of them.

They better get #4 in writing, signed by the mayor and governor.
Yep.

Interesting question, though. Do these port cities like the cruise traffic? I don't know. If they do, they will eventually be looking for ways to make that guarantee.

IMO, we will eventually get to the point where so many Americans have had the virus and recovered that the idea of a few infected people getting off a cruise ship will by a yawner.

Actually we did do one cruise (it happened to be Carnival). I'm glad we did it - once, just like the one train trip we made. Been there, did that, got the T-shirt.

At this point, with ALL the issues of cruising (OTHER diseases, potential violence on board, lack of rights and recovery, etc., etc.) I doubt I'd take a free cruise - well, unless it was on a luxury line with luxury accommodations. Since that won't happen... YMMV

If these things sail and there is even $1 of expense incurred rescuing the passengers because they become stranded somewhere, they're quarantined on the ship and need food/medicine brought in, etc...that better be 100% paid for by the cruise line and the individual passengers.

Last time around, it was a surprise, so lots of help was deserved. I was personally quite embarrassed by our unwillingness to let ships dock, etc. in the first iteration.

At this point? The risks are VERY well established. In fact, I would be shocked if the ship didn't come down with infections. If the lure of a super cheap ticket gets you on the ship, you also carry the downside risk of getting trapped on it.

Lunacy.

Thanks for listening to my morning rant. :wiseone:

I wonder if they will run empty.

We have taken about 10 cruises with 6 or 7 on Carnival because it was cheap. Would we take another cruise on any cruise line now? NO. It has become too boring and crowded with obnoxious drunk people especially on Carnival. We are more interested in travel outside the U.S. where we can spend a little time at the destination, explore outdoors bicycling and hiking, and enjoy regional cuisine.

Cheers!

DW and I applied for Global entry last August - before our Med cruise and 2 week tour of Italy. She got a reply before flying across the pond in October.

OTOH - Global Entry administrators weenies just sent me an email saying in April (after lockdowns) that I could complete my process at customs upon my next international flight. (Not in the cards for the foreseeable future.)

We filed together at the same time. What the hell?

But don't worry they are committed to following public health guidelines and the safety of their passengers and crew is their number one concern.

Anyone ready to book?
I am! Maybe not carnival but I'm definitely going on another cruise.

Last edited:
I can't even imagine getting on a cruise now. I wouldn't be all that worried about dying but what about getting quarantined in your room or bared from ports. No thanks. And how do they get crews? Last I heard 80,000 crew members were trapped at sea unable to come ashore.

Norwegian issued a going concern warning this morning. What happens if you are on a cruise and the owner of the ship goes bankrupt? Nothing good, I imagine.

I might be coming at this from a different angle than many/most of the rest of you.

It's May now, if I'm around at the end of September I'll be 78. I exercise on the elliptical, and we go for walks.....I hurt just about everywhere, and although I try and tread water my nose goes under now and again. I'm nowhere near what I was, and I'll never be again.

Haven't ridden my bicycle for a (long) while, and on Sunday asked DW's daughter's husband to see if his younger brother (around 31) wants it.

My cousin just sent me a pic of her mother, 93, taken by the nursing home staff....she looks awful, has dementia.

DW's father, now 94; he's better than my aunt but the downhill run is picking up speed...he told me two years back that he didn't want to go through another winter...but he's still here.....barely.

DW is 10 years younger than me and therefore has the most to lose....any 'final decision' tripwise will be hers.

(She says we're 'going out' together...which means I'll have to hang on so that she gets her allotted span.)

Almost died last year from sepsis...I was 'out of it' so if I had've passed I wouldn't have known about it anyway.

Bottom line....we're in no hurry to die, we're enjoying our lives, we take precautions, (social distancing an' all that), we like to travel, there are places I haven't been, and even more places she hasn't been that I'd like to show her, and the hop-on-hop-off cruises we've planned cover some of those areas.

If the trips look like a go, and I haven't already 'gone', and if I can get travel insurance...."Hi Ho Silver"!

I have never been on a cruise, as I prefer independent travel. I thought a cruise would be okay when I became too old to walk about or too lazy to plan my own vacations. I may still consider a bike and barge type of vacation.

No RC vacations for me.

If there is a vaccination already under deployment, does that change any folks opinions?

Cruising is is not safe unless all passengers are vaccinated and some people will refuse vaccinations for various reasons (i.e. their god protects them, Covid19 is a just a conspiracy, etc).

Cruising is is not safe unless all crew (mostly from poor countries) have been vaccinated and are regularly tested.

Cruising is is not safe unless all local island people working on shore excursions have been vaccinated and are regularly tested.

Cruising is is not safe unless all locals working in ports have been vaccinated and are regularly tested.

The Carnival Mardi Gras can carry 6600 per cruise, so that is 24,000 per month assuming 7-day cruises.

I think that the risks are far too high.

Last edited:
I have been on over 33 cruises . I will not cruise this year but maybe next depending how the virus plays out .

Good for CArnival. Someone has to be first. My understanding is that these will be limited cruises close to US ports...i.e. Caribbean....so if something does happen they can get home quickly and not need to deal with foreign ports.

We have cruise Holland America. Not all, but many of the elderly, were some of the worst people. Always complaining, running you over with their scooters, demanding that you hold the elevator even when it was clear there was no room and they should wait for the next one,etc. Leaving their walkers wherever they wanted. MAny times it felt like the nursing homes just emptied onto the cruise ship! MAybe Covid 19 will keep these folks away from the cruises along with the other "nervous nellies."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom