Covid Positive Regen-cov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vacation4us

Full time employment: Posting here.
DH and I have tested positive for Covid. I was vaccinated he wasn’t. He is sicker but I am also very sick. I just received a call and we have been offered an in home nurse visit to administer REGEN-COV.

It’s an EU drug cocktail, think med Trump got when he was hospitalized.

My question is related to the medication would you take it.

And please someone smarter and more coherent than me at the moment give some helpful input

Thanks

Sorry to hear this... Hopefully you can trust your health care provider (doctor) since he/she knows you and your conditions/circumstances the best.. I'd probably go with their recommendations. Best of luck and wishing you and your DH a speedy recovery.

The offer is not coming from our provider. Called DH doctor this morning and left a urgent message. Silence.

The offer is coming from the drive thru clinic I used to be tested which I found via the county web site.

It looks like that's the name of the monoclonial antibody cocktail treatment so yes I would absolutely sign up for it. I have it bookmarked as I always planned to ask for it if I ever got a diagnosis, and the sooner the better, without hesitation. I read enough about it late last year to understand it's really the best thing available.

It's really the only treatment that's proven to be remarkably effective at preventing more serious disease and hospitalization. I believe it needs to be administered within 10 days of symptoms, but my understanding may be outdated. So, yeah I'd be asking them before they even offered.

Best of luck to you both for a speedy recovery.

I am sorry that you are both COVID positive and are feeling very sick. I think the meds given to Trump were the best and so if that is what the nurse is going to administer to you and your husband, you should take it.

BTW, my husband and I are both vaccinated and he was tested positive last week with mild cold symptoms. He has recovered and tested negative today.

All the best and speedy recovery!

I would do the monoclonal antibody treatment. I know there people who had great recovery with that treatment. Especially early in the course of illness.

DH and I have tested positive for Covid. I was vaccinated he wasn’t. He is sicker but I am also very sick. I just received a call and we have been offered an in home nurse visit to administer REGEN-COV.

It’s an EU drug cocktail, think med Trump got when he was hospitalized.

My question is related to the medication would you take it.

And please someone smarter and more coherent than me at the moment give some helpful input

Thanks

My good friend who is 73 got Covid three days before his second vaccine. He got pretty sick. His son, who is a doctor, INSISTED he and his wife get this. He believed that it helped and is completely recovered.

Another friend (younger but with severe Crohn's Disease - the type where he has lost part of his intestines) was qualified to receive this. He recovered much faster than his younger, healthier wife. He also believes that this helped him recover and wished that his wife had been able to have gotten it. (She eventually recovered but suffered quite a bit.)

I would run, not walk to get this. It is my understanding that you need to get this sooner rather than later for it to be effective. (It helps mount the antibody defense so needs to be used during the active phase of the disease.)

Please let us know how you are doing.

Last edited:
I would absolutely do the monoclonal antibody treatment. Our hospital system has been offering it for months and the results have been excellent. I hope you both feel better soon.

Get the treatment and I hope it helps. Which of you got sick first. They say the quicker you can get it the better. Hopefully your vaccination will help speed your recovery too.

I’m not qualified to give medical advice, but yes if it were me I would.

The fact that you get offered an in home nurse visit to administer it is amazingly convenient.

The in home infusion may be part of a pilot program?

Last edited:
As all of the above, not a medical professional but what I have heard is that it provides a great jump start to recovery.

So the nurse is coming tomorrow. Turns out we will be given 4 subcutaneous injections not an infusion. Hopefully it helps.

DH had symptoms first. Then me. Then his 28 yo DD who was also vaccinated. DH got tested 2 days before me. Dumb move but I figured I was vaccinated. DH lost his sense of smell Saturday I lost mine yesterday ( Tuesday) . DH has being running a fever for 4 days has more gastrointestinal symptoms while mine are like a severe cold with a cough.

I will post more tomorrow hopefully when feeling better. Thx for all the input

So the nurse is coming tomorrow. Turns out we will be given 4 subcutaneous injections not an infusion. Hopefully it helps.

DH had symptoms first. Then me. Then his 28 yo DD who was also vaccinated. DH got tested 2 days before me. Dumb move but I figured I was vaccinated. DH lost his sense of smell Saturday I lost mine yesterday ( Tuesday) . DH has being running a fever for 4 days has more gastrointestinal symptoms while mine are like a severe cold with a cough.

I will post more tomorrow hopefully when feeling better. Thx for all the input
Wow. It sounds like this Delta variant can get through pretty readily. Hopefully, the reports that vaccinated people usually get mild disease will prove true for you and your daughter.

Wow, that’s very interesting!

Subcutaneous - injection the fluid under the skin, then the body gradually absorbs.

I'd have to expect that the 80% barrier (assuming a delta variant) from the vaccine is pushed to its limit when it's a family member in the home who gets sick first. It's one thing to be protected from incidental contact with people say at work or in a restaurant for a couple of hours, vs. be in the same enclosed space for days.

But it does appear it's doing its next promise, which is limiting the severity. The treatment was originally IV, hospital only, so it's good to hear it can now be administered via a nurse at home.

That's why l asked who got sick first. All these unvaxxed running around in public aren't helping anything. Come on people let's get it done

But it does appear it's doing its next promise, which is limiting the severity. The treatment was originally IV, hospital only, so it's good to hear it can now be administered via a nurse at home.

As a matter of fact, under the emergency use authorization it cannot be given if you are hospitalized.

The safety and effectiveness of this investigational therapy continues to be evaluated for treatment of COVID-19. Sotrovimab is not authorized for patients who are hospitalized due to COVID-19 or require oxygen therapy due to COVID-19. This treatment has not shown benefit in patients hospitalized due to COVID-19 and monoclonal antibodies may be associated with worse clinical outcomes when administered to hospitalized patients requiring high flow oxygen or mechanical ventilation.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pre...tional-monoclonal-antibody-treatment-covid-19

And on the subject of those that are vaccine hesitant...do they realize that if they are hospitalized, they may very well be treated in a manner that is also "emergency use authorization" by the FDA? I don't think the media is doing a good job of letting folks know this. Personally, I am in favor of getting another round of vaccines because I DO NOT want to deal with this.

Last edited:
You don’t have to be in a hospital to get an IV. We gave IVs in the clinic and our private office back in the 80s. Receiving a monoclonal antibody could save your life.

We’ve been giving a monoclonal antibody to preterm infants in and out of the hospital to protect them against RSV for 23 years. Monoclonal antibodies were not invented yesterday.

Last edited:
You don’t have to be in a hospital to get an IV. We gave IVs in the clinic and our private office back in the 80s. Receiving a monoclonal antibody could save your life.

Correct. When it was first being used last year (Nov/Dec) most of the write ups said it was administered in a hospital setting. That is certainly not the same as being hospitalized. Much like how Chemo is administered, one goes into a hospital to receive the infusion, but is not actually admitted as a hospitalized patient. They are quite different things.

The point being, the Regen-cov treatment is a pre-emptive, early-stage therapy, designed to prevent the need for actual hospitalization. Once one is already admitted, it's considered too late to be able to work effectively.

You don't have to use caps..treatment can be given in a hospital setting think er without someone actually being hospitalized.

I fixed the capitalization for you, happy now? I used it as an emphasis. :blush:

If you read what I said, the EA is not applicable to hospitalization which is defined as "admission to hospital for treatment." Specifically, the EA states, "Sotrovimab is not authorized for patients who are hospitalized due to COVID-19 or require oxygen therapy due to COVID-19"

Wow. It sounds like this Delta variant can get through pretty readily. Hopefully, the reports that vaccinated people usually get mild disease will prove true for you and your daughter.

I'd have to expect that the 80% barrier (assuming a delta variant) from the vaccine is pushed to its limit when it's a family member in the home who gets sick first. It's one thing to be protected from incidental contact with people say at work or in a restaurant for a couple of hours, vs. be in the same enclosed space for days.

From stories I am reading, including here, an unvaccinated person infected with the Delta variant is shedding a massive amount of live virus. So much so that even vaccinated members of the same household are prone to breakthrough infection. Or someone acting as caregiver, even if masked (but maybe it wasn’t a great mask).

In research posted online, scientists examining 62 cases of the Delta variant found viral loads about 1,260 times higher than those found from 63 cases from the early epidemic wave in 2020.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/18/health/us-coronavirus-sunday/index.html

Fortunately in India in a study of over 28,000 vaccinated hospital workers, 5% experienced symptomatic breakthrough infections, only 83 had to be hospitalized, and none died. So these are people highly exposed, but also probably wearing maximum PPE.
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3889352

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom