Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advisory panel just recommended to approve Moderna vaccine to over 18, one abstention

Advisory panel just recommended to approve Moderna vaccine to over 18, one abstention

You beat me to it..
I was hoping they would add the question about changing the trial design to crossover open label.. but guess not.

Fauci has done well but not perfect. He's one person. There must be 100's of K's of people in the chain of delivery. Not one is permitted to screw up or they're actually human?

Where you got the idea it will all be done by April - meaning everyone who wants a vaccine will have it by then - I have no idea. Not happening. Lucky if it's done by Fall. And everyone should be ecstatically happy if that's the case.

I was responding to the April comment from below:
Dr. Fauci has said that he expects that vaccinations should be available to everyone by April. That's good enough for me.

That might be true but I'll wait for science to decide what the issue was for the people that had the allergic reactions. Since I've had several ER visits getting shot of epinephrine so I could keep breathing and I'd prefer to avoid that happening again I will wait on the shot. And, yes, I know they have EpiPen's available for those getting vaccinated but I'm still waiting.

My mother, age 89 also has had several severe allergic reactions to foods and ended in the hospital and she carries an epipen. She has never had an allergic reaction to a vaccine. She has discussed this with her doctor and has decided to go ahead with the vaccine as soon as it is available and take her chances. She is lonely and getting depressed with not being able to see friends and family so she has decided to take the risk. I think it is the right decision for her.

:clap: Reading their lesser cold temp. requirements will make it preferred for rural areas.

Last edited:
According to this calculator we might expect to get vaccinated anytime between Feb 25th and March 14th.

No idea how accurate it is but it is fun to play with. It works on an assumption of 1m vaccinations/week and an uptake of people wanting it at 70.6%

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-uk#atrisk

Our local ABC affiliate TV channel has one for US:
https://abc7.com/health/find-out-how-many-people-may-get-a-covid-19-vaccine-before-you/8821951/

It does not give a timeline, only how many people are ahead of me. There are 10 million people in Los Angeles county. My number is below:

"Locally, in Los Angeles, California, There are an estimated 1,485,584 people in front of you to get the vaccine, and 3,310,488 people in your group."

Approximately, I will have to wait after 15% of people in this county getting vaccinated before I can call for an appointment. A third of the population are in my group so the line will be long.

I just got an email from the UNC Medical Center (all my doctors are part of the UNC system) which states:
"UNC Medical Center is an Open Vaccination Site. As Covid vaccinations progress through the phases UNC Medical Center will be able to vaccinate anyone who meets the criteria."

UNC has a huge drive through Covid testing facility (hundreds of tests per day) and I bet they set up something similar for the vaccinations.

According to this calculator we might expect to get vaccinated anytime between Feb 25th and March 14th.

No idea how accurate it is but it is fun to play with. It works on an assumption of 1m vaccinations/week and an uptake of people wanting it at 70.6%

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-uk#atrisk

Looks like the UK is ahead of the US in planning for the vaccination distribution. Interesting to me that the UK rule is that anyone who is pregnant or planning to get pregnant in 3 months should not be vaccinated. There is some confusion on this in the US but it appears that it is up to the pregnant women and her doctor to make a decision on the vaccine.

Why is it said that the Covid Vaccine provides immunization for several months, while polio, DPT, Shingles and many other vaccinations are good for life? Is this just an abundance of caution?

Why is it said that the Covid Vaccine provides immunization for several months, while polio, DPT, Shingles and many other vaccinations are good for life? Is this just an abundance of caution?

The first people to get the COVID vaccine in large numbers happened about three months ago.

People have received polio vaccines since the 1950's or so.

We just have a longer track record with the older vaccines to be able to say with some definitiveness.

I personally am a relentless optimist so I think the COVID vaccine will probably last quite a bit longer than 3 months, but it wouldn't surprise me to get annual vaccines for a while until the science can figure out how long it lasts.

The first people to get the COVID vaccine in large numbers happened about three months ago.

People have received polio vaccines since the 1950's or so.

We just have a longer track record with the older vaccines to be able to say with some definitiveness.

I personally am a relentless optimist so I think the COVID vaccine will probably last quite a bit longer than 3 months, but it wouldn't surprise me to get annual vaccines for a while until the science can figure out how long it lasts.
+1

How do you conclude that? Thanks.

The UK has a fairly detailed priority list that spells out the order of distribution (see the article cited in Alan's posting above). Age 80, then 70, then 65 etc. In addition the NHS has identified "mass vaccine centers" scattered all over the country where people are to go for their vaccine. The NHS will notify each person when it is time to go to the vaccine center to get their shot. This is all being publicized in the UK so the people are not left guessing how the distribution is being handled.

Looks like the UK is ahead of the US in planning for the vaccination distribution. Interesting to me that the UK rule is that anyone who is pregnant or planning to get pregnant in 3 months should not be vaccinated. There is some confusion on this in the US but it appears that it is up to the pregnant women and her doctor to make a decision on the vaccine.

I don’t think this is a race and only time will tell if a mainly age based approach to vaccinations is any more effective than other approaches.

The UK has a fairly detailed priority list that spells out the order of distribution (see the article cited in Alan's posting above). Age 80, then 70, then 65 etc. In addition the NHS has identified "mass vaccine centers" scattered all over the country where people are to go for their vaccine. The NHS will notify each person when it is time to go to the vaccine center to get their shot. This is all being publicized in the UK so the people are not left guessing how the distribution is being handled.

You do realize that the UK is 1/40 the size of the US in land area, with about 20% of the population, don't you?

I suspect distribution logistics will be quite different here than there.

Also, the US is a Republic, with most of the authority granted to the states, not the feds. So by Constitutional authority, each state is in charge of it's own distribution.

You do realize that the UK is 1/40 the size of the US in land area, with about 20% of the population, don't you?

Also, the US is a Republic, with most of the authority granted to the states, not the feds. So by Constitutional authority, each state is in charge of it's own distribution.

Good points, but I will point out that the UK is made up of 4 “States” with devolved governments with their own parliaments and First Ministers (equivalent to State Governors) who determine their own approach to the Covid rules and regulations in their countries (different approach and rules in all 4) and who will be responsible for the rollout of the vaccines in their own jurisdictions.

Of course it is still a lot easier given the much smaller size of the country and its population. (66m)

Last edited:

I think you mean to say that the USA is a federal republic, like Germany, where states have substantial independent powers, not a unitary republic, like France, where there are not states.. To be a republic means only that the position of head of state is chosen, not inherited as in a monarchy.

And none of this has anything to do with whether or not the USA is a democracy, in which the source of power is the people. It is, in fact, a representative democracy and a republic. The UK is a representative democracy and a monarchy, as is Japan. Russia is a republic, but not a democracy.

(Off topic, I know, but this is a common error and I am dedicated to correcting it whenever it arises.)

My mother, age 89 also has had several severe allergic reactions to foods and ended in the hospital and she carries an epipen. She has never had an allergic reaction to a vaccine. She has discussed this with her doctor and has decided to go ahead with the vaccine as soon as it is available and take her chances. She is lonely and getting depressed with not being able to see friends and family so she has decided to take the risk. I think it is the right decision for her.

harllee I hope that your mother does OK with the vaccine. The doctors have never been able to figure out exactly what I'm allergic to and I've had multiple rounds of allergy testing. Had a bad reaction to the flu shot this year for the first time in my life. :-( Let us know how she does with the vaccine.

I think you mean to say that the USA is a federal republic

Much of the country is, but the part I live in is an absolute monarchy.
Fortunately, DW is a benevolent despot, so I don't really mind. :D

Well, it looks like my state's next shipment of vaccine will be 40% under what was expected. Needless to say none of our state and federal leaders are at fault. Maybe it's the Grinch. Or politics?

There is some concern about having enough vaccine for the 2nd shot in about three weeks. The news media reports only the surface issues, so there is not enough information to get a feel for how serious the problem is. Such problems are to be expected in the early stages. Lucky us.

Last edited:
I think you mean to say that the USA is a federal republic, like Germany, where states have substantial independent powers, not a unitary republic, like France, where there are not states.. To be a republic means only that the position of head of state is chosen, not inherited as in a monarchy.

And none of this has anything to do with whether or not the USA is a democracy, in which the source of power is the people. It is, in fact, a representative democracy and a republic. The UK is a representative democracy and a monarchy, as is Japan. Russia is a republic, but not a democracy.

(Off topic, I know, but this is a common error and I am dedicated to correcting it whenever it arises.)

Quite correct. I guess I was too abbreviated with my description.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom