Dire situation in New York State

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a local womans account of having the virus and coming home. While she didn't require hospitalization it doesn't sound like anything to mess around with. She contracted it out of the country.

^^^^^^ Agree for the most part.... Sometimes even worse than the media. My time spent here is down about 75%. Still some good info at times.

I haven't seen a problem but maybe I missed it. There are people being people, discussing what they've heard and believe is fact, and sometimes there's opposing information and sometimes they're wrong. I don't remember a post that seemed out of line regarding coronavirus. It's OK to point out things that could have been done. I wonder exactly what people are complaining about. This still seems like a civil place, maybe aside from some posts in the Beat Boho thread.

.... This still seems like a civil place, maybe aside from some posts in the Beat Boho thread.

You mean we weren't supposed to beat up on you? Why did you call it that then? :)

Well, I won't touch the rest of it, but someone posted a link to this song earlier, I think it fits. And if someone is predisposed to not like someone for whatever reason, they are often eager to pile the blame in that direction, regardless of merit.

-ERD50

I have been social distancing too long. Jeez...I wonder what I'll be like in several weeks! What I meant was when the WHO declared it a Global Emergency and the U.S shut their borders to China on Jan 31. Global Emergency sounded ominous enough to me.

Jan. 30, 2020: WHO Announces Global Emergency

After weeks of reports that the virus is continuing to spread, a global emergency is declared. The death toll in China is now sitting at 170 people and there are over 7,000 reported cases across the country. India and the Philippines confirm its first cases

^^^^^^ Agree for the most part.... Sometimes even worse than the media. My time spent here is down about 75%. Still some good info at times.

Being stuck inside, you'd think ER.org would be breaking records of most members and guests logged in. But it isn't. Quite a few of us have found ourselves taking breaks.

I would hope we (us here, media, country) could focus on moving forward. Instead, we're focused on blaming, finding the new thing that may be hoarded so we can hoard it, etc.

I would hope we (us here, media, country) could focus on moving forward. Instead, we're focused on blaming, finding the new thing that may be hoarded so we can hoard it, etc.

I don't see many people here focused on blaming, a few have just pointed out that some people may have dropped the ball. Have we now reached the point where it's wrong to point out mistakes? The media is a different story though...they've been mostly horrible.

But simply moving forward without acknowledging what went wrong doesn't help. The death rate of Coronavirus is trending to below 1%...what happens when the next virus hits and it's 10% instead of 1% and no one has learned from the mistakes made now?

Finally got around to watching the Bill Gates TED talk from 2015 last night. In hindsight, this virus event although not preventable, could have been much less devastating. In times of uncertainty like these, it is only natural for people to have fear and questions.

++++1000. I am seriously disappointed in this forum.
You see the number of posts here is quite high, so finding every misstep isn't easy to catch. So don't be too very shy about using the report post button (the triangle with the exclamation mark); we all have a stake in keeping this a nice place to be.

I don't see many people here focused on blaming, a few have just pointed out that some people may have dropped the ball. Have we now reached the point where it's wrong to point out mistakes? The media is a different story though...they've been mostly horrible.

But simply moving forward without acknowledging what went wrong doesn't help. The death rate of Coronavirus is trending to below 1%...what happens when the next virus hits and it's 10% instead of 1% and no one has learned from the mistakes made now?
Of course we need to move forward knowing the mistakes.

I think it is important to understand the missteps of the CDC, FDA, state and local governments.

I'm talking about porky-level blame game. Someone here called it "Meme" blaming. I can't really give a description or example because doing so may get me banned. There are many such posts on this forum.

Meme-ing certain individuals or organizations is not helpful. Sorry.

And my reference to hoarding was squarely pointed at this board. Some of the threads almost read like "how to hoard."

Last edited:
Well I don't want to cause panic but has anybody ran a projection for how bad this is going to get?

Based on my unscientific calculation if the rate of increase doesn't change we are looking at the following numbers 12 days from today.

1,000,000 US cases
25,000 US deaths

This is based on a 22% daily increase in deaths and 19% daily increase in cases.

I sure hope I'm wrong.

Well I don't want to cause panic but has anybody ran a projection for how bad this is going to get?

Based on my unscientific calculation if the rate of increase doesn't change we are looking at the following numbers 12 days from today.

1,000,000 US cases
25,000 US deaths

This is based on a 22% daily increase in deaths and 19% daily increase in cases.

I sure hope I'm wrong.

Well NY figures heavily in the math and effectively you are probably calculating their levels of increases to be on the same upwards slope.
Not sure....

1,000,000 US cases
25,000 US deaths

I sure hope I'm wrong.
There are hundreds of projections, scenarios, etc. Some by health experts, many others by people who don’t know what they don’t know. There still isn’t enough knowledge about this virus to make a reliable projection, and much depends on how we act and react now.

Last edited:
Sadly, people have already resorted to finger pointing for something, as you said, would have made it difficult in this country to approach the success rate of S. Korea. Even on this forum, which has more level-headed individuals than just about any other website I visit, the implied political and social blame I'm seeing has been a disappointment. I had hoped for better, but it looks like politics has become a great divide in this country. Hopefully this forum survives that. I suspect this is going to cause a good amount of friction in the country as we try to work our way back into something resembling a normal lifestyle after dealing with COVID-19.

Do you live in Mr Rogers Neighborhood? Implied political and social blame. What does that even mean? This forum isn't politically or socially based. It actually has members on all sides of the issues. Someone here talks, we listen, if we have a different view ,we try to express it and explain it. Sometimes people change their views by listening to someone else's point of view.

All level headed individuals don't have the same point of view. If you want to come back and talk specifics I'll be more then happy to read and think about all your comments.

I think this thread needs a Heimlich maneuver...

Attachments

• 106.JPG
    106.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 49
Well NY figures heavily in the math and effectively you are probably calculating their levels of increases to be on the same upwards slope.
Not sure....

I think the rate in NY will decline but other places will do their bit and pick up the slack.

I think the #1 issue is PPEs, they should have shut down all non-essential buying of masks, etc the minute it became a pandemic. All of it should have been re-directed to the hospitals because the medical professionals I know are terrified because they are not getting what they need, if they get sick or just quit then nothing else matters. I've had 2 friends call me in hysterics who have been in the medical field for decades.. so yes my "fear" level is up because I don't expect that from the people I'd like to hear, yes its scary, but we got this.

When I see construction still happening and know they have face masks as almost all construction masks are N95 certified, it makes me angry. Lots of other industries have supplies too and you could figure it out if you went to the manufacturers and asked where the largest orders were recently sent to and buy it back. They should use govt power to re-direct all resources to where it is critical at this point.

Do you live in Mr Rogers Neighborhood? Implied political and social blame. What does that even mean? This forum isn't politically or socially based. It actually has members on all sides of the issues. Someone here talks, we listen, if we have a different view ,we try to express it and explain it. Sometimes people change their views by listening to someone else's point of view.

All level headed individuals don't have the same point of view. If you want to come back and talk specifics I'll be more then happy to read and think about all your comments.

Yeah I think the poster that you were replying to was being overly dramatic.

"Hopefully this forum survives that..."

I wouldn't want to be on a forum where everyone agrees that would just be like joining a cult.

I watch the NY Governor's daily updates. Despite the grimness of the numbers, NY appears to be handling it as well as they could despite the challenges, with ventilators being the issue.

On the topic of forum discussion, I see mostly rationale discussions.

I think the #1 issue is PPEs, they should have shut down all non-essential buying of masks, etc the minute it became a pandemic.

In hindsight, I agree it would have improved today's situation if we had shut down all non-essential buying of masks, etc., the minute it became a pandemic. Although, defining "non-essential" would have likely turned into an interesting political debate! For example, would exporting PPEs to countries in need be essential or non-essential? Etc.

Where I do disagree is that PPEs are the #1 issue. My opinion (for whatever that is worth other than just being a discussion point), is that officials not declaring and citizens not taking seriously isolation orders is the #1 culprit.

But time has passed and we can't turn the clock back. The important thing now is determining the best course of action from here.

In hindsight, I agree it would have improved today's situation if we had shut down all non-essential buying of masks, etc., the minute it became a pandemic. Although, defining "non-essential" would have likely turned into an interesting political debate! For example, would exporting PPEs to countries in need be essential or non-essential? Etc.

Where I do disagree is that PPEs are the #1 issue. My opinion (for whatever that is worth other than just being a discussion point), is that officials not declaring and citizens not taking seriously isolation orders is the #1 culprit.

But time has passed and we can't turn the clock back. The important thing now is determining the best course of action from here.

Bolded by me - and still happening in some sections of Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom