Do You Think There Will Be An Available Vaccine By The End of The Year?

Do You Think There Will Be An Available Vaccine By The End of The Year?

• Yes - I think so.

Votes: 29 18.6%
  • No - I do not think so.

Votes: 118 75.6%
  • Other

Votes: 9 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Didn't want to hijack the would you take a vaccine thread, so decided to start a similar poll. That is ....

Do You Think There Will Be An Available Vaccine (to Developed Countries) By The End of The Year? By 12/31/2020.

Last edited:
Nope. There might be one that is "working and ready" but define available.

To me? no.
To everyone? no.
That works for all populations? not even close
To the most at risk front line workers? Maybe ready to ship, unlikely
To the average person it will be at least 2nd half of 2021 if everything goes better than history.

Nope. There might be one that is "working and ready" but define available.

To me? no.
To everyone? no.
That works for all populations? not even close
To the most at risk front line workers? Maybe ready to ship, unlikely
To the average person it will be at least 2nd half of 2021 if everything goes better than history.

Available to the masses. Okay, I will narrow down. To developed countries.

My gut feeling is by 1st Qtr 2021 there will be a vaccine available to developed countries. I could be way off. Just a gut feeling.

How would any of us here even have an educated guess? A lot has changed in vaccine development, so past history isn’t a good indicator, one of the leading SARS-CoV-2 candidates is unlike any vaccine ever offered in quantity. No vote...reminds me of polls I used to see in USAToday asking folks for views on questions they couldn’t actually have sound answers for (yet).

Last edited:
I would say no, probably not. And if they are distributing a vaccine by the end of this year, I will not be taking it.

I think we ( the world) will have several vaccines by the end of the year. I read that over 100 labs are working on them. Some are already in human trials. I think the CDC and other regulating orgs will reduce the various protocalls of the approval trials. However, there will difficulty in getting the quantity required to inoculate the world. I fear there might be a regulated release to "needs based" (IOW essential workers and elderly without the antibody) patients first.

How would any of us here even have an educated guess? ... No vote ...
+1

No matter how much ignorance is collected it will never become intelligence.

Probably a better chance for a treatment of some sort vs. a true vaccine.
A rushed vaccine could have some interesting legal aspects.

I think we will have herd immunity before we have a vaccine.

Could be, but you need to have about 60-65% of the population exposed before herd immunity is approached. Latest estimate of the percentage of the U.S. population exposed so far is about 5%. So it would take a few years, minimum, to get to 60% - unless all social distancing is dropped now, in which case it wouldn't take nearly as long.

Dr. Ralph Baric, who has been studying corona viruses since the 1990's, was interviewed on The People's Pharmacy a few weeks ago, and thinks that we may have 2 or 3 treatments for CV19 by the Fall. Vaccines are possible at about 18 months. He discusses treatments and vaccines at about 56 minutes. No guarantees, of course.

https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/articles/show-1211-a-conversation-with-the-coronavirus-hunter

Dr. Ralph Baric has been studying coronaviruses for 35 years and is one of the world’s leading experts on these pathogens. In this interview, you will learn how the virus jumped from bats to people and how it replicates. Moreover, Dr. Baric was already studying remdesivir, a medication being utilized against this infection. He will explain how it works and why another drug may be even better.

Dr. Ralph Baric, who has been studying corona viruses since the 1990's, was interviewed on The People's Pharmacy a few weeks ago, and thinks that we may have 2 or 3 treatments for CV19 by the Fall. Vaccines are possible at about 18 months. He discusses treatments and vaccines at about 56 minutes. No guarantees, of course.

https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/articles/show-1211-a-conversation-with-the-coronavirus-hunter

I have heard several of Dr Baric's interviews. He is one of the most knowledgeable people around on Covid-19. Because of what he has said I don't think there will be a vaccine by year end. But Dr Baric believes there will be an effective antiviral by the Fall in pill form that will be as Dr Baric says "a game changer." Because I believe Dr Baric I am going to do everything reasonably possible so that DH and I do not come down with the virus until Dr Baric's pill is available in the Fall.

I believe sufficient political pressure will be applied to the CDC and FDA to release some form of vaccine by year end, and big pharma will give it their best shot. My fear is the resulting product will only offer a modest (statistically significant) protection, along with some nasty side affects. The consumer will be left to wonder if it is worth taking. I hope I am wrong.

Why of course we know what we're talking about!
Been reading for days! FB_IMG_1588597193422.jpeg

Not one I would be willing to take

Even if they do, the conspiracy theorists, and anti-vaxxers will just shun it. So maybe they can just put it in the jets that are already making the “chemtrails” ;-)

I think that even if you had what turns out to be a safe and effective vaccine you still would have significant problems with people refusing to take the vaccine. I wonder what level of resistance would affect affect the spread of the virus and the rules for managing the epidemic in a reopened economy?

If I were a betting person, which I am not, I would bet against it happening so soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom