Driving from Florida to Oregon next Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally get to pump my own gas! But wait I have no where to go. : (

I’m sure you’re relieved.

I’m also glad the interstates were open, unclogged, plenty of gas, no problems with rest areas or restrooms, as I expected it would be.

You must also have had decent driving weather to maintain those daily distances.

Yes, the weather is perfect the first three days, there are some light rain the last day. I was afraid that we would see some snow when we cross the mt Shasta, but there is no snow, just light rain.

Thanks God.

Welcome home. Now stay inside! :D

I think you brought the pump your own gas ability to Oregon. The Fire Marshall opened up the pumps for 2 weeks. Coincidence?

Oh I did not know, I pumped my last tank in Redding CA then used up my 5 gallons gas when I was in Oregon rest area.

We drove up 95 and 81 on the east coast 10 days ago.

At that time truck stops and gas stations and grocery stores were ok for restrooms. Subway too. Macdonalds and Starbucks were moving toward drivethrough only.

For anyone thinking of driving north, I would advise staying put and renting for a month in a low density county. Or storing the car and flying with masks and gloves. Or checking the forecasts and driving through low population states. Never let tank get below half and keep food in the car to get you home, even if just cookies.

Last edited:
I'm driving out of Florida Monday, to my place just south of the Oregon border in California - going to take 4 days also. A friend of mine came up with a good idea to assess the state of roads and availability of gas - LOVE TRUCK STOPS. I downloaded their app, checked the various stops along I-10, and found that everything looks great. Tried to call various highway patrols before that and got no answer...government efficiency. Like you, I found I-10 to be the best route, then straight up I-5.

Gas stations were great stops for us. Hotels stay open, I booked in advance but I am sure that you can find many available rooms. The road is virtually empty with trucks until you reach cities.

We brought our own food and water. Just stopped for gas/ restroom and hotel/sleep.

Good luck.

Last edited:
We got back from Seattle to Reno yesterday. I forgot how much driving a 20 foot truck sucked, but other than the rain and dark from 6-9 am to get to Portland, the drive was pretty uneventful and Portland traffic was extremely light. Very little traffic the rest of the way. It took 13 hours (for me in the truck) of hard driving.

The guys who helped us pack the truck were stopped outside of Auburn (about 20 miles from the yewt) by cops, but they had work papers. I rented the truck not far away, but I guess I used a different route. So local roads could be blocked, but not freeways/major highways. So far. I'm glad we did this last week, not next week.

Be sure to bring your own food and water. It may be hard to find anything open. Be prepared to sleep in your vehicle if needs be. I'd try to find a police station and park near it under the brightest street light.

be aware if you plan on driving thru Texas on your travels... the Hiway Patrol is watching for out of state tags...

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/29/texas-quarantine-out-of-state-travelers-155079

Be sure to bring your own food and water. It may be hard to find anything open. Be prepared to sleep in your vehicle if needs be. I'd try to find a police station and park near it under the brightest street light.

A few days late on your advice for the OP, but maybe helpful to others on the road.

We arrived to our home in Portland. What an adventurous 4 days.
We are glad that it works out as planned.

Thanks everyone.

be aware if you plan on driving thru Texas on your travels... the Hiway Patrol is watching for out of state tags...

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/29/texas-quarantine-out-of-state-travelers-155079

Texas HP is only looking for cars with Louisiana tags, and from the recent posts in this thread, lodging, fuel and rest stops are open. Caution, not alarm.

Texas HP is only looking for cars with Louisiana tags, and from the recent posts in this thread, lodging, fuel and rest stops are open. Caution, not alarm.

Gov. Greg Abbott targeted some of the pandemic's hot spots, ordering that air travelers from California, Washington state and several other places must self-quarantine for two weeks after arriving in Texas. His executive order, which previously focused on New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and New Orleans, was also expanded Sunday to all of Louisiana and Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit and Miami. The new rules take effect Monday.

If travelers from HOT spots come to Texas they may end up staying for two weeks if they like it or not... I drove thru yesterday... the hiway patrol is out in force... and they were stopping people... we only went up via I45/I75

If travelers from HOT spots come to Texas they may end up staying for two weeks if they like it or not...

No, they aren't being held prisoner, they can depart the state any time they wish. However, if they stay they are required to quarantine themselves for two weeks.

It's not just Texas. There are several states (and towns) that are doing this, with varying degrees of enforcement. I would say that if you need to cross state lines, do it sooner than later as it might start getting difficult. DW started occupational therapy yesterday and they initially didn't want to see her since we had traveled out of the state in the previous 2 weeks. Restrictions are likely to get worse before they get better.

Traveling

Sorry to say but traveling any where right now should be the last thing on your mind. Lock down stay in stay safe. Gor your own well being! We are in the age group that are most susceptible . But you make your own choice and i will say a prayer for your safety!

Gov. Greg Abbott targeted some of the pandemic's hot spots, ordering that air travelers from California, Washington state and several other places must self-quarantine for two weeks after arriving in Texas.

Alas, that advice is now behind the curve. As of yesterday, we know that both California and Washington have both done an admirable job of suppressing the virus. He should now focus more on NY, NJ, Louisiana, and the new hot spots like Georgia and Florida. It's a moving target. Good luck with that.

Of course, we should all just stay home no matter where we live. This is not the time for a road trip unless one is a trucker delivering vital goods, or a person delivering vital services.

Last edited:
No, they aren't being held prisoner, they can depart the state any time they wish. However, if they stay they are required to quarantine themselves for two weeks.

thats good to know... we have two trips scheduled for Hawaii and I did see where they too were saying two weeks... so looks like we can fly in and out when we need to...

we had business in Houston last week and decided to go to Galveston for the weekend as the beaches were open and you could be there as long as you kept your distance... then the beach patrol and cops showed up and kicked everybody out of town... I never saw so many cops in one place....

thats good to know... we have two trips scheduled for Hawaii and I did see where they too were saying two weeks... so looks like we can fly in and out when we need to...

we had business in Houston last week and decided to go to Galveston for the weekend as the beaches were open and you could be there as long as you kept your distance... then the beach patrol and cops showed up and kicked everybody out of town... I never saw so many cops in one place....

Be a good citizen and just stay home....

- 1 just be aware and take care... been thru this before.... you can't catch anything if your in your car...and you can't spread anything if you don't have anything...

I hear this same argument from the people who keep flocking to our beaches every day. It’s a flawed argument for several reasons.

1) We estimate that 20-25% of currently infected individuals are asymptomatic. So you really have no idea if you have the virus or not. Feeling well is not a guarantee of being negative.

2) When we travel we set off a chain reaction of events. We use public bathrooms, pay parking meters, visit grocery stores and restaurants, touch hand rails as we walk down stairs, visit gas stations, call tow trucks for flat tires, and countless other activities that would not happen if we stayed home. And if we multiply these events by the thousands of people who have the same line of thinking and ignore the stay at home directives, it becomes an exponential number of events that all foster the spread of the virus.

Our community is flooded with beach goers every day who all say “what’s the problem I’m staying six feet away from everyone”. They fail to think through all of the above events that happen as a result of their traveling long distances to get here.

I know of a guy who used to think the same way and finally became a recluse ... his name is Howard Hughes...

its better to learn how to take care of yourself and not get sick in the first place...

I know of a guy who used to think the same way and finally became a recluse ... his name is Howard Hughes...

its better to learn how to take care of yourself and not get sick in the first place...

With the majority of the population adhering to the stay at home directives, and every health expert in the world agreeing with the need to do so, I might suggest that you are the Howard Hughes of the group now being one of the few individuals who think they know better than everyone else.

It is far far better to listen to literally every official in this country right now and stay home. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom