Driving from Florida to Oregon next Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got home Sat in 4 days from AZ, and were ok for hotels, gas, and food. Some restaurants were drive-through only. Route was AZ, NM, TX, OK, MO, IL, IN, OH, MI. This could change of course.

The highways will remain open and gasoline available. Even with a more extreme measure, people will need to travel, supplies must be delivered, safety workers, first responders, health care workers, etc.

Agreed.

Hotels were mostly empty so we didn’t bother to make reservations. I haven’t heard of hotels closing. Certainly not gas stations or rest areas. Lots of trucking continues.

We had a cooler full of food so we didn’t eat at any dining rooms. We had tons of leftovers we had to remove from the fridge anyway, and carried plates, cutlery etc. That worked out well.

Oh boy, but thanks for your reply.
My brother is in Houston TX and my son is in Irvine CA, that is my plan B. I am going to book my hotels in Baton Rouge LA, El Paso TX and Bakersfield CA, see if they let me book.

Thanks again.
Is staying with friends/family really the best option?

Honestly, we travelled last week, but hotels were mostly empty and we had no trouble getting rooms. Are there reports of major chain hotels closing?* Maybe call and talk to them to make sure they aren’t closing, but I don’t think you even need to book ahead and can choose from several in an area.

We stayed near smaller cities and avoided outbreak counties with community transmission. Of course you never know........

We generally used rest areas for restrooms. Truckers gotta go somewhere.....

*I see some are in major resort/tourist areas and convention cities, and areas with large outbreaks. But a major chain like Hilton should be able to help you find places along your way.

Roadblocks on interstates? Really?

Last edited:
My partially knowledgeable 2cents:

I’m thinking that the highways will not be closed at all and checkpoints are very unlikely.
We need to transport goods, from ports to cities. Especially food. The interstates are crucial for this.
There aren’t enough state police to do checkpoints on the interstates.
The state police do not want to encounter people unnecessarily and acquire COVID-19.
You probably won’t be bothered, but have documentation ready in case.

Restrooms can be a problem. But many gas stations have restrooms and I’m guessing some of these are open, or the gas stations will have a bigger sanitation problem.

Take along TP and if you can, nitrile gloves or disinfecting wipes. Disinfect all the handles you use in these places and wash well. Also bring hand soap, in case you find a restroom with none.

In a pinch, do what backpackers do. Stay away from water sources, find a remote location, dig a hole (when needed), and do your business.

They don’t allow you to sleep in rest stops. But Walmart allows RVs to overnight in their parking lots.

State trioopers are not going to stop you in the states you listed. They won't want to have any contact with you whatsoever.

On my drive, I had to go through Border Patrol checkpoints. No problem. They don't want to get any diseases from travellers as well.

A couple of gas stations had no way to clean your windshield, so bring paper towels of your own.

We are taking our all food, we also have a small portable potty (need dumping every 2 or three days). Only stop for gas and rest.

We hope the hotels stay open.

Last edited:
To clarify: My concern is strictly California, specifically Southern California. There are three major routes in and out of Southern California, I-10, I-15, and I-5. If the shutdown becomes more restrictive, individuals may be told they need to stay home, period. In that case, the State may restrict travel on the three major highways to truck transport and other necessary business purposes.

Once this disease becomes widespread and the hospitals are full, a lot of people will want to get out. That's exactly the point at which people should be at home to reduce the spread. Southern California is not Wuhan or Hubei province, but movement could be restricted. The operative word is "could."

We are taking our all food, we also have a small portable potty (need dumping every 2 or three days). Only stop for gas and rest.

We hope the hotels stay open.

Years ago there was some commercial, for a drug I believe, that showed people driving around towing porta potties, to bring home the point that whatever was being advertised would prevent that. Life imitating art... :)

My partially knowledgeable 2cents:

I’m thinking that the highways will not be closed at all and checkpoints are very unlikely.
We need to transport goods, from ports to cities. Especially food. The interstates are crucial for this.
There aren’t enough state police to do checkpoints on the interstates.
The state police do not want to encounter people unnecessarily and acquire COVID-19.
You probably won’t be bothered, but have documentation ready in case.

Restrooms can be a problem. But many gas stations have restrooms and I’m guessing some of these are open, or the gas stations will have a bigger sanitation problem.

Take along TP and if you can, nitrile gloves or disinfecting wipes. Disinfect all the handles you use in these places and wash well. Also bring hand soap, in case you find a restroom with none.

In a pinch, do what backpackers do. Stay away from water sources, find a remote location, dig a hole (when needed), and do your business.

They don’t allow you to sleep in rest stops. But Walmart allows RVs to overnight in their parking lots.

I don't think your comment about sleeping in a vehicle in a rest stop is correct, that's one reason they are there.

To clarify: My concern is strictly California, specifically Southern California. There are three major routes in and out of Southern California, I-10, I-15, and I-5. If the shutdown becomes more restrictive, individuals may be told they need to stay home, period. In that case, the State may restrict travel on the three major highways to truck transport and other necessary business purposes.

Once this disease becomes widespread and the hospitals are full, a lot of people will want to get out. That's exactly the point at which people should be at home to reduce the spread. Southern California is not Wuhan or Hubei province, but movement could be restricted. The operative word is "could."

I saw that one acceptable reason to be out was if you have been living or staying away from home that you could return to your home. If you are driving in the right direction to get home I dont see a problem,

I saw that one acceptable reason to be out was if you have been living or staying away from home that you could return to your home. If you are driving in the right direction to get home I dont see a problem,

Under the current "shelter in place" overlay, that's correct. A more restrictive shutdown could change that.

Actually, I think it depends on the state.

In my mind I was thinking interstate but yes some states do have smaller rest stops that they might be closing. I was thinking of all the trucks that park and sleep particularly on I 80 in Western Nebraska.

We just got back from Arizona (to Washington). Best road trip ever as we had the entire road mostly to ourselves. We took smaller highways and the scenery was unbelievable. Enjoy your trip!

With international flights cut back drastically soon, there may be many travelers hustling to get home. I wonder how busy airports are now. The risk of catching a virus in a flight cannot be ignored.

Has the OP considered flying and having their vehicle shipped?
IMO flying is less safe than driving as there is far more exposure to other people in public venues, some of it prolonged. Plus they probably have a lot to carry with them.

We were quite relieved to make the trip in our car with our food and stuff plus supplies rather than flying.

Has the OP considered flying and having their vehicle shipped?

Wife is strongly against flying, kids suggest that we should not fly (those kids really ... make me mad, I am the one who has to drive :)

IMO flying is less safe than driving as there is far more exposure to other people in public venues, some of it prolonged. Plus they probably have a lot to carry with them.

We were quite relieved to make the trip in our car with our food and stuff plus supplies rather than flying.

I read your early posts in the other thread and decided to drive. And still believe it is safer.

absolutely...i withdraw the question. :)

Motel 6 along the way. “They’ll leave the light on for you.”

Tom Bodette

Hotel closure press release:
The three hotels in The Woodlands operated by the Howard Hughes Corp.—The Woodlands Resort, The Westin at The Woodlands and Embassy Suites by Hilton at Hughes Landing—suspended operations at 4 p.m. March 22, according to a Howard Hughes news release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom