FDA Approves Booster Shot for People with Weakened Immune Systems

But if ~90% of US hospitalizations are unvaccinated people, how could dose timing have anything to do with it? Not.

Exactly. It is more to do with 88% of over 16s having 1 dose and 77% having 2 doses. I watched a doctor on TV this week from our regional hospital say that they currently have 387 Covid cases, and the vast majority are much younger than previous waves and either have zero or 1 dose of the vaccine. In one of the local big towns this next few days they have mobile vaccination buses offered free ice cream vouchers to any walk-ins. That should should get the youngsters rolling in. :)

This Mayo Clinic study is seeing that Moderna is much more effective than Pfizer at this stage. Many are attributing this to 4 weeks interval being much better than 3 weeks.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.06.21261707v1

“In Florida, which is currently experiencing its largest COVID-19 surge to date, the risk of infection in July after full vaccination with mRNA-1273 was about 60% lower than after full vaccination with BNT162b2 (IRR: 0.39, 95% CI: 0.24-0.62). “

This Mayo Clinic study is seeing that Moderna is much more effective than Pfizer at this stage. Many are attributing this to 4 weeks interval being much better than 3 weeks.

“In Florida, which is currently experiencing its largest COVID-19 surge to date, the risk of infection in July after full vaccination with mRNA-1273 was about 60% lower than after full vaccination with BNT162b2 (IRR: 0.39, 95% CI: 0.24-0.62). “
That's a bit surprising to me that an extra week would have such an effect. It's not surprising though that a longer interval between shots makes for a better perhaps longer-lived immune system response. After all, many vaccines have recommended intervals of months not weeks. But the covid vaccine developers really didn't have the luxury of exploring months-long intervals with the pandemic raging. They had to go with the shortest interval that produced a good response and hope that if it turned out to be sub-optimal then some kind of booster would be an effective solution.

I'm not signing off on this yet.Remember Pfizer came online quite a bit sooner then Moderna so a lot of Phizer people would be longer since they were vaxxed.

I'm not signing off on this yet.Remember Pfizer came online quite a bit sooner then Moderna so a lot of Phizer people would be longer since they were vaxxed.
There was one week between their emergency authorizations last December.

There was one week between their emergency authorizations last December.

Well Moderna did not get into the pipeline as quickly. It went to a lot of drugstores because of easier transport. I got one of first batches in my state in Mid Feb.

I have 8 older relatives who were vaccinated in January they ALL got Pz.

Last edited:
Well Moderna did not get into the pipeline as quickly. It went to a lot of drugstores because of easier transport. I got one of first batches in my state in Mid Feb.

I have 8 older relatives who were vaccinated in January they ALL got Pz.
Here in a rural Arizona county, I got my first Moderna shot in late January. So did a lot of my neighbors. It probably depends on your location. In any event, I would think the authors of the study would be careful to account for time differences.

Here in a rural Arizona county, I got my first Moderna shot in late January. So did a lot of my neighbors. It probably depends on your location. In any event, I would think the authors of the study would be careful to account for time differences.

Well maybe.. hopefully they are tracking date of vaccination in breakthrough cases

I also have a hard time believing just 1 week made the difference. Moderna also administered a much larger dose.

You’ve got to be careful in comparing vaccines and how long since the last vaccine, age cohorts, etc.

Most US folks infected and in hospital weren’t fully vaccinated. So most of the huge delta surge is due to unvaccinated folks.

Early on Moderna was distributed preferentially to areas that didn't have as adequate logistics for the more sensitive Pfizer. Rural Alaska, where I got my first shot in Feb, was mostly Moderna, especially in outlying areas. The vax clinic I went to was set up in a school Gym more than 70 miles from the nearest medical facility and was only Moderna. If I would have wanted Pfizer, I would have had to drive about 80 miles. I got my second dose of Moderna a few days late for the 28 day schedule, so maybe that was good .

I'm going in tomorrow for a nasal swab. A bit of bad personal news is that my 89 yo mother (fully vaxxed with Pfizer) came down with Covid two weeks ago and spent 5 days in the hospital. Of all my siblings, I was elected to be the one to get her released from the hospital and look after her until she was good to be on her own. I've taken precautions but probably was exposed starting 10 days ago. According to the Dr. who treated my mother, it would be very unusual for her to be infectious more than 10 days after presenting symptoms. I never displayed the slightest symptom, but other than my age, I have no indicated predispositions so it wouldn't be surprising that I could be asymptomatic. I actually would like to find out I was asymptomatic positive, as from my reading, Covid + vax >> vax + booster as far as immunity. I'll get the booster, but am not looking forward to it, I had a rather severe reaction to my second jab.

My brother's MIL is also currently recovering from Covid. She turns 100 next month. Both she and my mother very likely owe their lives to the vaccine. When I picked my mom up from the covid ward, the next room had a 34 yo apparently healthy unvaxxed man die of Covid that morning. All just anecdotes, but Covid is the real deal.

Last edited:
I also have a hard time believing just 1 week made the difference. Moderna also administered a much larger dose.

I got Pfizer (in Florida) and I got a 4 week split on the schedule. I think Walgreens just booked every 2nd dose at 4 vs. coding for the different jabs.

And yeah, a week, nah. More likely that Moderna shots started getting in arms later than Pfizer, and a lot later in some places than others.

A bit of bad personal news is that my 89 yo mother (fully vaxxed with Pfizer) came down with Covid two weeks ago and spent 5 days in the hospital.

My brother's MIL is also currently recovering from Covid. She turns 100 next month. Both she and my mother very likely owe their lives to the vaccine. When I picked my mom up from the covid ward, the next room had a 34 yo apparently healthy unvaxxed man die of Covid that morning. All just anecdotes, but Covid is the real deal.
I’m assuming neither elderly relative needed a ventilator?

Certainly a blessing that the vaccine saved them.

You’ve got to be careful in comparing vaccines and how long since the last vaccine, age cohorts, etc.

Most US folks infected and in hospital weren’t fully vaccinated. So most of the huge delta surge is due to unvaccinated folks.

The preprint details how people were matched up. For example, they handled date of vaccination as follows:
For a given individual in the mRNA-1273 cohort who received their first vaccine dose on a given date, only individuals in the BNT162b2 cohort who were vaccinated on the same date or within two weeks after that date were considered for matching. This match helps to ensure that matched individuals reach their date of full vaccination (14 days after the second dose) on approximately the same date.

I might have missed it in my quick glace of the press release, but did it say the number of patients in the study? I see a lot of these where they are less than a couple hundred people which makes it pretty useless, IMHO.

Getting the booster on Monday. DW had lung cancer and ha one removed last year 3 days before COVID lockdown, I had serious cancer several years back, not taking a chance an all we had to do is declare we are immune compromised and booster is readily available .

might have missed it in my quick glace of the press release, but did it say the number of patients in the study? I see a lot of these where they are less than a couple hundred people which makes it pretty useless, IMHO

Just read the pre-print study summary. It was a pretty big cohort of over 50,000 people.

. We defined cohorts of vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals from Minnesota (n = 25,589 each) matched on age, sex, race, history of prior SARS-CoV-2 PCR testing, and date of full vaccination.

My in-laws in their 80s received their 2nd shot in England back in January. The booster shots aren't available there yet.

Last edited:
Speaking of boosters, has anybody seen any flu shot signs at their local pharmacies or big box grocery stores? Last year they were all over the place in August. Today, the flu seems to be out of fashion.

Speaking of boosters, has anybody seen any flu shot signs at their local pharmacies or big box grocery stores? Last year they were all over the place in August. Today, the flu seems to be out of fashion.
My husband got his the other day at the local Fry's Food (Kroger.) I prefer to wait until September. Because we still mask in stores, use hand sanitizer and glove up at the gas pump, I think our risk for flu is probably lower than it's ever been before.

My husband got his the other day at the local Fry's Food (Kroger.) I prefer to wait until September. Because we still mask in stores, use hand sanitizer and glove up at the gas pump, I think our risk for flu is probably lower than it's ever been before.

That's a good idea (to wait). I don't think the flu shot effectiveness last until spring if you get it in September, so I think I will wait until maybe November...

Back
Top Bottom