FDA Approves Booster Shot for People with Weakened Immune Systems

The CDC estimates that around 1M doses over the past month or so are from folks "sneaking" a booster. I'm sure it will get even easier with the new announcements.

The CDC estimates that around 1M doses over the past month or so are from folks "sneaking" a booster. I'm sure it will get even easier with the new announcements.

That doesn't surprise me in the least. At least they are being used. ;)

I'd think that a typical reaction would be desired. I had a little fever and aches on the 2nd moderna and chalked that up to "antibody building is hard work" :D
I look forward to the booster in December. DW is a couple of months ahead of me, as she is taking biologics that suppress her immune system.

I'd think that a typical reaction would be desired. I had a little fever and aches on the 2nd moderna and chalked that up to "antibody building is hard work" :D
I look forward to the booster in December. DW is a couple of months ahead of me, as she is taking biologics that suppress her immune system.

I thought people on immune suppressants are eligible now for the booster, no need for her to wait 8 months.

Not long ago Moderna announced their vaccine only dropped from 95 to 93% efficacy after 6 months. Other than those with immune compromised systems why would the average senior need a booster after 8 months? I have a hard time believing the efficacy will drop off the chart after just 2 more months.

It’s clear that the over 60-65 age group has a less robust immune response to vaccination in general. I think the hope was that the mRNA vaccines would be different.

As I understand it, much of the booster push is being driven by data out of Israel and while it’s unfortunately clear that breakthrough cases are not as rare as they anticipated, it’s unclear if it’s due to the vaccine being less effective against the delta variant, the vaccine response in general waning over 6 months, or seniors specifically not maintaining a strong response.

The timing of the delta wave along with the staged rollout targeting the elderly first makes interpretation of the data difficult. And I believe the moderna data you’re referencing was pre delta and not in an age specific sub group.

Many hospital workers got their vaccines by mid-January. DS could be eligible for a booster by mid-September. They are the ones who would get boosted first, during a surge. It makes sense.

Badger, how did you and your wife qualify for the Moderna booster? DH is getting the Moderna booster tomorrow (he qualifies because he has an autoimmune disease and he had to sign a certificate to that effect)). As his caretaker I would like to go ahead and get the 3rd Moderna booster too but I it does not appear to me I qualify at this point--I am age 70 but healthy.

It was unexpected my wife came home and said a few of her friends told her about going in for the booster. I guess with Florida having only about 50% of the population getting the vaccine they have a lot to distribute. The Delta variant is running rampant here with the great majority of hospitals overcrowded with those who are not getting the vaccine.

Remember when people were going in for the vaccine ahead of their schedule when the centers were having doses left over at the end of the day and they were trying to use it before having to throw it away? Maybe that is the reason. I don't know.

She did tell them her age (74 Shhhhh!) and that there were no health issues. They gave her the shot and signed her card. So I'm going to take my shower and go in today. My only problem is all my joints are going bad with arthritis needing replacement and/or steroid injections but that is not autoimmune as far as I know.

I would hope as a caretaker you would be qualified too.

Cheers!

Both DW and myself got our 2 Phizer shots in Feb & March at a drive thru sponsored and administered by the local Fire & EMS dept. We had no serious reactions then but are not planning to get the booster any time soon.

Although I'm not wild about getting another vaccine within a year ill probably get one late Oct-early Nov if available in my area. Getting one before holiday gatherings makes sense. And as someone suggested it would be great if you could get a combo flu/covid vaccine one day. We can dream anyway......

Got My 3rd Shot

Yesterday I had my 6 month check up with my GP. I'm immune suppressed because of some meds I take to keep my lung condition stable. He recommended I go ahead and get the third shot as soon as possible, especially since we're planning to board an NCL cruise ship to Alaska in late September. (Fully vaccinated crew & guests with PCR test administered at the port prior to boarding. Norwegian is the last of the Big 3 (Carnival Corp, Royal Caribbean being the other two who now slough that responsibility off to their guests) to pay for the testing instead of requiring its pax to show up with a negative test!)

Anyway, I went straight to Walmart after my DR appt and after filling out a questionaire to ensure that I qualify for the 3rd shot, I had a needle in my arm. Just some site pain, redness, and general lethargy afterward, but a walk in the park compared to the Shingrix shot! I also took my CDC immunization card so the booster could be recorded.

Stay safe out there, everyone!

Yesterday I had my 6 month check up with my GP. I'm immune suppressed because of some meds I take to keep my lung condition stable. He recommended I go ahead and get the third shot as soon as possible, especially since we're planning to board an NCL cruise ship to Alaska in late September. (Fully vaccinated crew & guests with PCR test administered at the port prior to boarding. Norwegian is the last of the Big 3 (Carnival Corp, Royal Caribbean being the other two who now slough that responsibility off to their guests) to pay for the testing instead of requiring its pax to show up with a negative test!)

Anyway, I went straight to Walmart after my DR appt and after filling out a questionaire to ensure that I qualify for the 3rd shot, I had a needle in my arm. Just some site pain, redness, and general lethargy afterward, but a walk in the park compared to the Shingrix shot! I also took my CDC immunization card so the booster could be recorded.

Stay safe out there, everyone!

My MIL got her 3rd shot yesterday (Moderna) and complained of the same issues...very tired.

DH had his 3rd shot of Moderna this morning at CVS, he said CVS was very organized and efficient. DH had made an appointment ahead of time. So far he has no side effects, no arm soreness, no tiredness or anything (he had no side effects from the first 2 shots). We are hoping he gets some mild side effects to indicate that the shot was effective.

but a walk in the park compared to the Shingrix shot!

+1 My two Pfizer shots zapped me for a total of 24 hours max. Shingrix lasted on and off for a few days. Still, compared to a few friends who got full blown, stay in bed and do nothing but hurt for 2-4 weeks Covid, it's a walk in the park.

DH had his 3rd shot of Moderna this morning at CVS, he said CVS was very organized and efficient. DH had made an appointment ahead of time. So far he has no side effects, no arm soreness, no tiredness or anything (he had no side effects from the first 2 shots). We are hoping he gets some mild side effects to indicate that the shot was effective.

Yay! You all have been very patient during an anxious time.

+1 on this news...simply fantastic! :dance:

Yay! You all have been very patient during an anxious time.

We have been married 49 years. DH has helped me when I needed help and I am glad to do the same for him. I certainly do not want to lose him to Covid.

DH had his 3rd shot of Moderna this morning at CVS, .

Great to hear, harllee. It's been a long wait. Is he planning to take an antibody test in a few weeks? I imagine a good test result might give him more peace of mind?

Great to hear, harllee. It's been a long wait. Is he planning to take an antibody test in a few weeks? I imagine a good test result might give him more peace of mind?

That is a good question. He asked his doctors (both his primary care doctor and his rheumatologist) and both doctors recommended against the antibody tests, they said they were not very accurate. In addition, if he takes the antibody test and it does not show he developed any antibodies what does he do then?

I didn’t have a physical reaction to my second shot. Or barely perceptible anyway, but I don’t assume my vaccine wasn’t working. From what I read it’s highly variable.

That is a good question. He asked his doctors (both his primary care doctor and his rheumatologist) and both doctors recommended against the antibody tests, they said they were not very accurate. In addition, if he takes the antibody test and it does not show he developed any antibodies what does he do then?

I would agree with you. Lack of antibodies even for actual Covid survivors is not uncommon. It's one of those If Yes Then Yes, If No then still maybe Yes, kinda things.

I thought people on immune suppressants are eligible now for the booster, no need for her to wait 8 months.

She will talk to her rheumatologist about it. Hes been solid for her. She will also ask her endocrinologist. That's a new doc as she has a mass on her thyroid to attend to :(

Here's an interesting comment from Eric Topol.

We keep getting closer to discovering /defining antibodies that will take down the entire beta coronavirus family, which can be used as a template for universal vaccines. I don't understand why we are futzing around with variant-specific vaccines when this could be #1 priority?

I wish he had fleshed it out a bit more. A universlal vaccine against this virus would be nice. Take that you %@^&%#!@ variants!

DH had his third Moderna shot today!

We're so happy. We called around today and had an appt 2 hours later! It is such a relief as we work on our domestic travel plans. We just got the news DH's cancer is stage 4, and we have a lot of stuff we plan to do together! :clap:
I expect my 3rd dose will be during Oct/Nov or so.

We're so happy. We called around today and had an appt 2 hours later! It is such a relief as we work on our domestic travel plans. We just got the news DH's cancer is stage 4, and we have a lot of stuff we plan to do together! :clap:

I expect my 3rd dose will be during Oct/Nov or so.

Glad you were able to get appointments. Very sorry about your DH’s diagnosis but glad you can get on with your plans.

Back
Top Bottom