FDA Approves Booster Shot for People with Weakened Immune Systems

I think any doctor or pharmacist who administers the Covid vaccine off label is risking a medical malpractice suit. I know several people who lied on the forms and certified they were immune compromised to get the Moderna booster even though it is not approved--the doctor or pharmacist is probably protected in that case.

Covid makes for different rules or it seems to anyway. As I keep saying about the Moderna shot, is a pharmD or doc paying any attention the fact the M booster is pegged at half a dose of the original. I have no idea why they are thinking that getting more vaccine then required for immunity is good thing....

Covid makes for different rules or it seems to anyway. As I keep saying about the Moderna shot, is a pharmD or doc paying any attention the fact the M booster is pegged at half a dose of the original. I have no idea why they are thinking that getting more vaccine then required for immunity is good thing....

Bold by me. THAT is an understatement. I will leave it at that.

DW had lung cancer last year (two days before lockdown) her HMO (Kaiser) tracked her down for her booster. It was Moderna, not sure about the dose. I had cancer 5 years ago so officially ‘ok’ but no problem getting the Moderna booster when I was with her.
Maybe psychological but feeling better for having the booster [emoji382][emoji1317]

I'm quite sure there are plenty of doctors or pharmacists who will administer the shot and take their chances, when they have an abundance of supply....vs. argue with dozens of people every day who don't understand why they have to wait because they got Moderna.

Over a million people got off-label pre-approval boosters in August, this isn't even slightly surprising.

IIRC off-label use of pharmaceutical products is perfectly legal. Doctors do it routinely. It's only illegal for the pharmaceutical company to represent or imply that their product is effective for off-label use. Not an expert so YMMV.

I signed 2 older folks up for the booster shot, I had taken them for the first 2 shots at the County, they will be going there again.

DW & I got our boosters today, there were a LOT of available times, and no line up at a jewel-Osco pharmacy (grocery store). We laughed a lot afterwards, as the nice fellow giving the shot seemed much more nervous than us. His hand was shaking !!

Feels good to have gotten it, especially as some study came out saying after 4 months Pfizer drops to 20%, but still saves from hospitalization and death.

I had my Pfizer booster shot on Tuesday. I had no side effects with the first 2 shots. This third one was brutal. I did not feel anything other than a painful upper arm on Tuesday. But on Wednesday morning, I had severe body aches, chills and fever. Today, Thursday I felt better in the morning, although weak, and the fever was gone. This evening, the fever, chills and body aches are back. I have been taking ibuprofen. I have golf tomorrow morning and I plan on playing.

Just like the 2nd Pfizer shot, the booster got me. At least it was only 2 days this time with fever, chills and body aches instead of 3 days. I think I managed to stay awake for about an hour on Wednesday. I imagine the alternative and if I have to go through this every 6 months until whenever, so be it.

My husband will get his booster next week.

I signed 2 older folks up for the booster shot, I had taken them for the first 2 shots at the County, they will be going there again.

DW & I got our boosters today, there were a LOT of available times, and no line up at a jewel-Osco pharmacy (grocery store). We laughed a lot afterwards, as the nice fellow giving the shot seemed much more nervous than us. His hand was shaking !!

Feels good to have gotten it, especially as some study came out saying after 4 months Pfizer drops to 20%, but still saves from hospitalization and death.
(emphasis mine)

Do you have a source for that 20% figure?

Here's a source with very different numbers:

https://www.reuters.com/business/he...veness-drops-after-6-months-study-2021-10-04/

"The effectiveness of the Pfizer Inc (PFE.N)/BioNTech SE vaccine in preventing infection by the coronavirus dropped to 47% from 88% six months after the second dose, according to data published on Monday that U.S. health agencies considered when deciding on the need for booster shots."

"The analysis showed that the vaccine's effectiveness in preventing hospitalization and death remained high at 90% for at least six months, even against the highly contagious Delta variant of the coronavirus."

"Vaccine effectiveness against the Delta variant was 93% after the first month, declining to 53% after four months. Against other coronavirus variants, efficacy declined to 67% from 97%."

(emphasis mine)

https://www.reuters.com/business/he...veness-drops-after-6-months-study-2021-10-04/

"The effectiveness of the Pfizer Inc (PFE.N)/BioNTech SE vaccine in preventing infection by the coronavirus dropped to 47% from 88% six months after the second dose, according to data published on Monday that U.S. health agencies considered when deciding on the need for booster shots."

"

That's quite a drop in prevention of infection. I can definitely see why they recommended a booster for those at high risk of severe disease.

I am looking forward to the studies, that I am sure are being done in places like the UK and Israel, regarding the long term immunity that the booster shot will provide. I hope it's at least a year. Time will tell.

Last edited:
I am looking forward to the studies, that I am sure are being done in places like the UK and Israel, regarding the long term immunity that the booster shot will provide. I hope it's at least a year. Time will tell.

I can't seem to see the study cited by anethum. I always wonder how such studies are run (numbers of participants, authentication of data, controls, etc.) I've taken courses on epidemiology and the pitfalls to be avoided can be daunting. YMMV

I got my Pfizer booster Thursday (2 days ago) at a local CVS. The sign up to make the appointment was very easy with plenty of spots available.

Yesterday and today my arm is sore if I try to lift it or reach for anything. I'm a little achy but nothing that will keep me from doing things. I've been taking tylenol if it's a bother. I'm quite pleased with the reaction overall.

When I signed up on the CVS site it asked me if I also wanted the flu shot. I said yes and then at the pharmacy I forgot to ask about it and they didn't ask me. So I didn't get it. I wasn't sure if it was a good idea anyways so I will just get one at a grocery store or my doctor in a few weeks.

(emphasis mine)

"The analysis showed that the vaccine's effectiveness in preventing hospitalization and death remained high at 90% for at least six months, even against the highly contagious Delta variant of the coronavirus."

"Vaccine effectiveness against the Delta variant was 93% after the first month, declining to 53% after four months. Against other coronavirus variants, efficacy declined to 67% from 97%."

Here is the source, and I'm thinking saying after 4 months sounds worse than in months 5 to 7.
My disappointment is the possibility of needing a booster every 6 months. If some other vaccine ends up having a longer lasting effect, perhaps I'll switch.

"Effectiveness declined gradually thereafter, with the decline accelerating after the fourth month to reach approximately 20% in months 5 through 7 after the second dose. Effectiveness against symptomatic infection was higher than effectiveness against asymptomatic infection but waned similarly. "

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2114114?query=featured_home

Last edited:

The day after we got it, our arms were sore, and this time unexpectedly I had a reaction of: 100.3 fever, slight headache, slight burning behind eyes, sensitive skin, fatigue. I slept a lot over the day on and off, and then slept well the next night.
These are all the symptoms I'd get with a flu (only not as bad).

Now I feel pretty fine and normal. :)

I’m scheduled to get my Pfizer booster tomorrow. I was planning on getting the flu shot at the same time, but after reading through these posts I’m rethinking that. It sounds like people are having significant side effects from one or both of the shots, so I’d have to think getting both at the same time may make the side effects worse.

I always get my shots in my left arm. I need my right arm to be OK so I can play pickleball. I’m assuming if I get two shots, at least one of them has to go in the right arm, whereas if I wait a week or so I could get the flu shot in my left arm?

I walked in to Walgreens today for my booster but the check in window was closed and there were 6 people waiting in the pick-up area and no staff. Across the street Rite Aid got me in right way. 20 minutes now and no side effects. Lol

Vaccinations!

So, spouse and I had a third Moderna about 6 weeks ago - felt the same as had after 1 and 2. One day down, low fever, sluggish. Still being careful masking! (tidbit of data is that Moderna normal dosage is 100ug and Pfizer is 30ug - lots of data coming in the next couple of years - and, we night also see a better Flu vaccine using mRNA technology)

Friends mentioned they had gotten current quad flu shot and second of their series for pneumonia - I had forgotten!

Spouse and I made appointments at one of our local Publix pharmacy for Fluad Quad and asked about second shot for Pneumonia.

We had Pneumovax October 2020 (Merck) - didn't look it up, but asked and it apparently requires second shot only if you have other risk factors. We don't, so didn't get the second. Good news! Bad news is we should have looked it up! More good news is that the Publix database is shared and complete!

More good news is that other than a sore injection location for the shot, there were no discernible physical effects from the Fluad (Adjuvanted for over 65 accordingly to my reading) Quad 2021-2022 SYR.

It is a wonderful thing to have so many dedicated scientific and medical personnel - and, to have an easy way to get vaccinations!

Finally, our local county office of the state health department printed complete status sheets for us on all vaccinations since we have been back in state!

Will state what I need to state in a couple of weeks in order to "qualify" for the 3rd Pfizer shot. Flu shot probably a week later.

It looks like most health care systems in the US are awash in COVID vaccine. While the national evaluation system continues its analysis, it appears vaccines are being disposed of.

Publix system is pretty simple - online for appointment and check "Immunocompromised."

I took paperwork with me, but was not asked for any for the third vax.

Here is the source, and I'm thinking saying after 4 months sounds worse than in months 5 to 7.
My disappointment is the possibility of needing a booster every 6 months. If some other vaccine ends up having a longer lasting effect, perhaps I'll switch.

"Effectiveness declined gradually thereafter, with the decline accelerating after the fourth month to reach approximately 20% in months 5 through 7 after the second dose. Effectiveness against symptomatic infection was higher than effectiveness against asymptomatic infection but waned similarly. "

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2114114?query=featured_home
Thanks for the link. That's a very interesting study with some useful references. One of the graphs (Figure 2A) shows that after 4 months following a 2nd Pfizer dose, efficacy against Delta declined to 51.7% percent. The study I cited from the Lancet had efficacy after 4 months at 53%, so they're both pretty similar for the 4 month time period. It's the 20% vs 47% efficacy against infection after 6 months which is the big disparity. Both studies found, however, the protection against severe covid 6 months after full vaccination remained at 90%, so that's reassuring.

The Qatar study also said this:

"PCR testing in Qatar is done on a mass scale, with approximately 5% of the population being tested every week.5 Approximately 75% of those who receive a diagnosis of SARS-CoV-2 infection at present do so not because of the appearance of symptoms but because of routine testing. It is possible that many asymptomatic infections were diagnosed among vaccinated participants that otherwise would have been missed. The higher ascertainment of infection may have lowered the effectiveness estimates."

Also, the Qatar study went through August whereas the Kaiser SoCal study went through July, so there was a longer period with significant Delta cases in Qatar vs. SoCal.

Thanks for the link. That's a very interesting study with some useful references. One of the graphs (Figure 2A) shows that after 4 months following a 2nd Pfizer dose, efficacy against Delta declined to 51.7% percent. The study I cited from the Lancet had efficacy after 4 months at 53%, so they're both pretty similar for the 4 month time period. It's the 20% vs 47% efficacy against infection after 6 months which is the big disparity. Both studies found, however, the protection against severe covid 6 months after full vaccination remained at 90%, so that's reassuring.

The Qatar study also said this:

"PCR testing in Qatar is done on a mass scale, with approximately 5% of the population being tested every week.5 Approximately 75% of those who receive a diagnosis of SARS-CoV-2 infection at present do so not because of the appearance of symptoms but because of routine testing. It is possible that many asymptomatic infections were diagnosed among vaccinated participants that otherwise would have been missed. The higher ascertainment of infection may have lowered the effectiveness estimates."

Also, the Qatar study went through August whereas the Kaiser SoCal study went through July, so there was a longer period with significant Delta cases in Qatar vs. SoCal.

That is a very interesting statistic and one that I was wondering about in the UK. Currently we have about 36k positive tests per day from 900k tests/day, most of which are routine, not as a result of symptoms, but I’ve not seen a percentage figure.

I just made my appointment for my pfizer booster. I'm not 65 yet, but am overweight, so I qualified according to Kaiser Permanente. Unlike the first jabs - that were unavailable through Kaiser and I had to hunt down appointments through the state and county... KP sent me an email telling me to get the booster. Definitely easier this time around.

Back
Top Bottom