Gym and Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Closed until EOM

Our gym sent out an email saying they were shutting down until 3/31/2020.
Personally I don’t think 14 days is long enough for a
quarantine on this with what they know about the virus living on surfaces, but time will tell.

Our gym sent out an email saying they were shutting down until 3/31/2020.
Personally I don’t think 14 days is long enough for a
quarantine on this with what they know about the virus living on surfaces, but time will tell.
I mean, even without cleaning any virus would probably be gone in 3-4 days, but as long as they keep letting people in the gym will continue to be a possible vector.

Our gym just told us yesterday they were closing the doors for now. I was there earlier in the day and took one of the disinfecting wipes to one of the barbell bars. It came back almost black. I picked up my towels that I had draped over the bench and left. That told me that they were not cleaning very well. It was after that we got the message saying they were closing for now. Unfortunately, that is also where we play tennis and pickle ball. Will miss those activities.

Our gym just told us yesterday they were closing the doors for now. I was there earlier in the day and took one of the disinfecting wipes to one of the barbell bars. It came back almost black. I picked up my towels that I had draped over the bench and left. That told me that they were not cleaning very well. It was after that we got the message saying they were closing for now. Unfortunately, that is also where we play tennis and pickle ball. Will miss those activities.

ewwwww. I think if it were me I would find somewhere else even after all this is resolved. There's no excuse for a black cleaning wipe in a gym that you're paying money for them to not keep their equipment up. Nasty. :sick:

All the gyms that accept Silver Sneakers closed in my area. I went until they closed taking all the necessary precautions of wiping down equipment and social distancing. Gonna concentrate on cardio now and walk/jog around my condo complex. Having a strong and healthy heart and lungs is most important to fight off any complications of this virus should any of us have the misfortune to contact it.

I happened to sign up with a personal trainer just two weeks before this all started. My Gold's Gym was shut down last week on orders of the Governor. My last Personal Training session ended just an hour and a half before the State-ordered shutdown.

That session was a new routine that I could do at home. She sent me a second at home routine the next day, and a HIIT routine a day or two later. Before I left on my last session I scheduled to do a Facetime session with her. So I'll use that next week to make sure my form is correct on the two routines she showed/sent me.

Great customer service considering the circumstances.

I am amazed at the complete disregard for the dangers of this virus and the absolute importance of social distancing. Going to the gym would be my last choice and is inherently more dangerous. To me this is just begging to get sick and to then spread it around endangering others. Because of this attitude the government is going to have to force a complete shutdown and enforcement. Here in Hungary where we retired to, violating a slef-imposed quarantine now is a $1,500 EU fine. I saw in a village in Eastern Hungary a guy left his house u
while under quarantine and the villagers in the small village he lived in nearly beat him to death. We barely have the disease at all at this point but it is definitely coming and is rising steadily. The US is now in the logarithmic growth phase and is so far looking like it will be way worse than Italy. With an R0 of 3 this means every patient will infect 3 others and this includes mildly symptomatic patients. The virus is shed for 21 days so imagine tripling the infection every day if these people are running out and about and that goes on for 21 days. The numbers are staggering.

The Florida governor ordered all gyms shutdown starting today (Saturday). So I was only a few days ahead of the gov't.

I ordered an exercise mat from amazon so I can better comply with the unreasonable demands of my new online aerobics instructor / dominatrix. :hide:

Gone for brisk walks the last 4 days in a row. Not a lot of sun out, in fact it has sprinkled at times. Temperatures in the mid 50s to around 60.

Not going as fast as on the treadmill but I am sustaining 110-130 bps according to my Apple Watch.

Been going for about 75 minutes, today was a little more, about 6 miles.

I would like to keep up the pace but I feel the strain on my lower back and legs.

Gym treadmillls don't put nearly the same strain, even though I get the bps up higher and for longer periods.

I looked at some treadmills online. Some of them tout how cushioned the belts are to absorb some of the show.

Going to keep walking to see if my body holds up for now.

Today I walked by a high school, saw big expanses of empty field. Also the track, which I believe would be easier on the body to walk on than the pavement.

All locked up.

I did walk through some parks with grass but they've not mown the grass so it's kind of wet and uneven, as my feet sink into some parts.

My gym shut down this past week as well. I really miss it; I was there every day. I'm coping with a treadmill in my basement; I hate running but I crank up the speed and the angle and walk quickly "uphill" and I hope that's enough. I also got my TRX out of the closet and found some good upper-body exercises. I attach it to a door that has a deadbolt but still live in fear that the door will fly open and I'll land smack on my face or my back.

Gone for brisk walks the last 4 days in a row. Not a lot of sun out, in fact it has sprinkled at times. Temperatures in the mid 50s to around 60.

Not going as fast as on the treadmill but I am sustaining 110-130 bps according to my Apple Watch.

Been going for about 75 minutes, today was a little more, about 6 miles.

I would like to keep up the pace but I feel the strain on my lower back and legs.

Gym treadmillls don't put nearly the same strain, even though I get the bps up higher and for longer periods.

I looked at some treadmills online. Some of them tout how cushioned the belts are to absorb some of the show.

Going to keep walking to see if my body holds up for now.

Today I walked by a high school, saw big expanses of empty field. Also the track, which I believe would be easier on the body to walk on than the pavement.

All locked up.

I did walk through some parks with grass but they've not mown the grass so it's kind of wet and uneven, as my feet sink into some parts.
If you're looking for something that's easy on your knees and back, an elliptical is perfect. And I use the "ski pole" handles on mine, and that arm movement has helped my back, although not as much as the core work yoga routine.

But any activity is better than none, as long as it's safe!

Yeah I never got into the elliptical at the gym that much.

I will say one reason I liked the treadmill was that I put my iPad on the shelf and just browsed.

Even when going at a pretty good pace, I can read forum posts and such.

I can't do that walking though.

I'm really thought I was struggling with this....

Gym addiction can be the only logical explanation as to why someone would continue this practice. All the while ignoring the risk of this very lethal airborne virus as the global death toll rises wherein hundreds are literally dying every 24hrs. It totally makes sense now. 😥

Gym addiction can be the only logical explanation as to why someone would continue this practice. All the while ignoring the risk of this very lethal airborne virus as the global death toll rises wherein hundreds are literally dying every 24hrs. It totally makes sense now. 😥

~150,000 people die every day in the world. I'm taking precautions but not panicking over ~300 per day (though ramping up) from COVID-19.

~"150,000 people die every day in the world...."

The above justification prooves my point.... God has given us the gift of common sense and reason but in the world's most critical moments we literally find "reasons" to put it on a shelf and put our fleshly desires over ourselves and the lives of others (reminds me of the kayakers that go out to meet the hurricanes head on)....

... I saw in a village in Eastern Hungary a guy left his house while under quarantine and the villagers in the small village he lived in nearly beat him to death...

Now, he truly will not have to worry about the virus anymore.

PS. Hmmm... The other villagers had to leave their homes too, in order to catch the guy. And how did they practice social distancing while beating him up?

Last edited:
Perhaps they all beat him using 10-ft poles.

Still gotta watch out for bodily fluid spatters.

How many people here are considering working out at home in the future instead of going to the gym? Yesterday I sold some excess weights less than 10 minutes after I posted them on the internet so obviously some people are making changes.

I've been working out at home for 20+ years and wouldn't have it any other way. I don't have to drive to the gym, don't have to wait to use a piece of equipment, and can play my own music or watch whatver I want on TV. If you have the room working out at home is far more convenient. One potential downside is that because you have the equipment at home you're not paying a membership and might find it easier to skip a workout as it feels less penalizing than "wasting" a membership.

A young woman was detained in Madrid for jogging.

She was cited and told to go home while onlookers yelled at her for flouting some of the restrictions.

You can go to the stores and so on but you can't leave the home to get exercise apparently.

Spain's situation is more dire than here, so far.

A lot depends too on how crowded the area is. I went for a ~40 minute walk today and saw two other people, one driving a car, the other in their own back yard. So going out for a walk or jog isn't an issue here.

People are playing 5 on 5 basketball and doing other things in crowded NYC parks.

https://patch.com/new-york/new-york-city/cuomo-youths-nyc-parks-im-coming-you-over-coronavirus

I walked today to a community college to see if I could walk their track. Everything locked up.

Oh well not surprising, I'm sure for liability reasons if nothing else, they can't have people just use their facilities.

Local parks in this suburb are not crowded but there are signs telling people to stay off softball fields.

All the newspapers and TV stations here have been emphasizing that it's perfectly fine (and a good idea) to get out for a walk or run, or just walk the dog. The exercise is good for you, it helps you deal with cabin fever, and as long as you practice good social distancing there is no danger.

DW and I have gone for a long walk or run every day through our neighborhood, and we see a fair number of other people. It's interesting how when you see someone coming toward you, one or the other will cross the street if possible, or maybe just step out on the blacktop (not much traffic around here) to keep a good distance from the other person. Nearly everyone will also smile and wave.

Yeah I've been going out for long walks every day for the past week.

I wonder if someone jogging at a good clip are exhaling a lot more droplets volume of droplets, comparable to heavy coughing or big sneezes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom