Has anyone here caught the Virus, or know anyone who has?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the number one takeaway from her story is that it can be spread by people who are presymptomatic. That is why the lack of testing is so dire, because if we could test everyone we could do a better job of quarantining.

The problem is you don't know who is who.

In the ideal world, we would test everyone, and test often (the virus is not detectable until it has multiplied sufficiently inside the human body). But with a population of 330 million, there's just no way we can do that.

All we can do now is to isolate ourselves as much as possible. If the social butterflies want to spread the virus between themselves, there's nothing anyone can do other than to throw them in jail.

Originally Posted by harley View Post
The early symptoms are very similar to colds and allergies. It isn't until the second week or so that the fever and lung issues get started. Certainly similar enough to cause concern, if you've got the symptoms.

^ I also would like to see the source.

https://www.healthline.com/health/coronavirus-symptoms#symptoms
Some people with COVID-19 may sometimes experience additional symptoms, such as:

runny or stuffy nose
sore throat
headache
body aches and pains
diarrhea
Some observations suggest that respiratory symptoms may worsen in the second week of illness. This appears to occur after 8 or 9 days

I just picked any source out of dozens that say the same thing. The virus may get progressively worse. You could have googled it yourself.

If the social butterflies want to spread the virus between themselves, there's nothing anyone can do other than to throw them in jail.

But it's not just social butterflies, it's people who have to go to work because schools aren't closed or they work at the grocery store. Policy has to be informed by fact, and if we don't have the facts, it's a problem.

UWVirology has been doing the most testing in the US, they are heroes. Their Twitter feed is good to follow for up to the hour information.

Originally Posted by harley View Post
The early symptoms are very similar to colds and allergies. It isn't until the second week or so that the fever and lung issues get started. Certainly similar enough to cause concern, if you've got the symptoms.

^ I also would like to see the source.

Hmmm. Can't find a reliable source. Maybe I was repeating FB stuff I read. It looks like it's the opposite. Per HartfordHealthCare.com

Eyes watering? Runny nose? Feel like your head is locked in an ever-tighter vice?

Sounds like the start of seasonal allergies, maybe a cold or flu . . . but not COVID-19.

Everything I know is wrong. Sorry. I'll shut up now.

Late to the thread because I was taking a sanity break away from the internet. I know someone who had it here in Seattle. She's the one in this Seattle Times article. She has also been talking to the NYT and contacted by the Today Show, although she's not sure she's ready to go that route. She is one of the small handful of people who were diagnosed through the Seattle Flu Study; otherwise she never would have gotten a test.

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/what-i-want-you-to-know-about-coronavirus-from-someone-who-recovered-from-covid-19/

I have not seen her in months so I don't worry about exposure to her, but at this point I am operating as if everyone I see has it, and as if I have it and can spread it to anyone I see.

I think the number one takeaway from her story is that it can be spread by people who are presymptomatic. That is why the lack of testing is so dire, because if we could test everyone we could do a better job of quarantining.

The problem is you don't know who is who.

I feel like I have been shouting into the abyss the past two weeks. Ten days ago a friend in Palm Springs told me to "get a grip." Today Palm Springs implemented shelter-in-place. Please, please learn from us here in Seattle and take the drastic measures before you think you need them. I know many of us on this forum are good at thinking ahead, or we wouldn't be FIRE'd. But we also know that many people aren't like that, so please spread the word.

Since you quoted me let me be clear..if you think I'm telling people not to be prepared and concerned you aren't actually reading my posts.

Since you quoted me let me be clear..if you think I'm telling people not to be prepared and concerned you aren't actually reading my posts.

Understood. I sincerely hope the person who posted just has a cold, and most likely they do. The key is that because they can’t get tested, they really should err on the side of caution, and self-quarantine as if they have the virus. Not panic, just good looking out.

Understood. I sincerely hope the person who posted just has a cold, and most likely they do. The key is that because they can’t get tested, they really should err on the side of caution, and self-quarantine as if they have the virus. Not panic, just good looking out.

Bingo because even if you test positive the advice is the same.. stay home and quarantine unless you need major medical intervention. Don't panic if you feel sick and can't get a test...just stay the He%% home.

The idea that people in places without documented community spreading think they're currently surrounded by many infected people seems unjustified to me.

Well, things change very quickly. Just a few days ago there were only a couple of cases in my county and none were community spread. Then there were a few more cases nearby to here (within 15 minutes based upon city locales). And, then the next day there was the first documented case of community spread. And, there is very very little testing here and the criteria is very difficult to meet.

I also live 15 minutes away from DFW Airport and I recall all those pics of the travelers returning last weekend crammed together. Of course, most of them probably went on to some other place. But, many of the workers in the airport probably live not that far away. Lots of people in this area work at the airport....

Oh, on the original question. I don't know anyone who has had it. I do know someone whose son was tested while they were on a trip to NY (test was negative).

Some observations suggest that respiratory symptoms may worsen in the second week of illness. This appears to occur after 8 or 9 days

I just picked any source out of dozens that say the same thing. The virus may get progressively worse. You could have googled it yourself.

Thanks for the snark.

You spoke with authority that the virus starts small and fever and lung issues only occur the second week. You can google too and find out that this not necessarily typical. That's why I was asking for the source. You made it sound like that was typical. It isn't. "some observations suggest" is hardly authoritative.

harley below says the rest better than me...

Hmmm. Can't find a reliable source. Maybe I was repeating FB stuff I read. It looks like it's the opposite. Per HartfordHealthCare.com

On the positive side, if a person is truly infected with Covid-19, but does not get bad enough to be hospitalized, then it can still end well. People do recover from it.

The main thing is to treat any unknown flu as Covid-19 and to avoid infecting others. Come to think of it, why would anyone want to be infected with the normal flu either?

Exactly, If you are sick, self isolate, it doesn't matter what virus you have, stay home and away from others. If your fever spikes, you may need to seek medical attention.

" At least 14,000 people have died and 250,000 have already been hospitalized during the 2019-2020 flu season...
More than 26 million Americans have fallen ill with flu-like symptoms." (US)

That's not Covid 19, that's the plain old flu.

I have an interesting dilemma, I need (or soon will need as I do stockpile a little) my BP Meds. The pharmacy sent the request to the doc and he indicated he needed to see me first. I have been on these same meds for 25 years! I monitor my BP etc.

I do not want to go into a docs office just to get a new script and risk contamination form anything or anyone in there. I am going to call and complain and see what I can get done.

My doc has a history of doing this, although he is a great doc when he is really needed, I feel this is just a money maker for him as he just check vitals and chats for 15 minutes during the visit.

I have an interesting dilemma, I need (or soon will need as I do stockpile a little) my BP Meds. The pharmacy sent the request to the doc and he indicated he needed to see me first. I have been on these same meds for 25 years! I monitor my BP etc.

I do not want to go into a docs office just to get a new script and risk contamination form anything or anyone in there. I am going to call and complain and see what I can get done.

My doc has a history of doing this, although he is a great doc when he is really needed, I feel this is just a money maker for him as he just check vitals and chats for 15 minutes during the visit.

SWR, some doctor’s office offer “telephone” visits. They still charge, but at least a patient doesn’t need to go in. Maybe that’s an option for you? Good luck.

My doctor is similar. When I start getting close to my appointment and if the situation is still the same (or worse), I will call. If the doctor refuses w/o an in person checkup that will be the end of our long relationship.

... Everything I know is wrong. Sorry. I'll shut up now.

harley, I admire that you came back, admitted your mistake, and apologized (w/o snark even! or one of those fake "I'm sorry if you were offended", making it the other person's problem).

You've earned some respect points in my book (not that that will buy you a take-out cup o' coffee or roll of TP). I wish more posters could do this, simply own up to an error. There's a lot of info to process right now, I'm sure all of us are making mistakes along the way, in an honest attempt to help.

Please don't "shut up". :)

-ERD50

harley, I admire that you came back, admitted your mistake, and apologized (w/o snark even! or one of those fake "I'm sorry if you were offended", making it the other person's problem).

You've earned some respect points in my book (not that that will buy you a take our cup o' coffee or roll of TP). I wish more posters could do this, simply own up to an error. There's a lot of info to process right now, I'm sure all of us are making mistakes along the way, in an honest attempt to help.

Please don't "shut up". :)

-ERD50

In fact everything everybody "knows" about this is wrong and we are just typing to fill space.

Don't feed the nitpickers..he knew what I meant the first time .
FWIW I read your first post on the topic as Italy and Germany sharing a border, meaning a physical border. Yes, I see now you said "open border" but physical proximity has a lot of meaning with this virus. Certainly a country is likely to have more visits from an immediately adjacent country with which they have an open border than one further away. Yes, Italy and Germany are not that far apart, but there are mountains separating them.

Anyway, I think we are all on edge because of the fears and precautions due to the virus and I hope we could all take an extra moment to think before taking offense with or snarking back at posts from others.

We made the decision to wear our Ni99 masks out anywhere. Wore them to vote on Tuesday, gloves too. The pens in voting booth were community pens. For the sake of grocery store workers, to protect them and ourselves wearing masks to grocery stores. Still walking dog in parks. The spike in young people no surprise.

Congressman Ben McAdams from Utah was on the news sharing his symptoms with CV19. He's a middle aged, healthy man. Said it felt like a band around his lungs. Coughing while talking and wheezing. He's in isolation.

FWIW I read your first post on the topic as Italy and Germany sharing a border, meaning a physical border. Yes, I see now you said "open border" but physical proximity has a lot of meaning with this virus. Certainly a country is likely to have more visits from an immediately adjacent country with which they have an open border than one further away. Yes, Italy and Germany are not that far apart, but there are mountains separating them.

Anyway, I think we are all on edge because of the fears and precautions due to the virus and I hope we could all take an extra moment to think before taking offense with or snarking back at posts from others.

Well I will if you will..you know when someone makes a "pithy" 3 or 4 word post "correcting" a post that doesn't need correcting you do wonder what the motive is. Your explanation of my original comment wasn't really necessary. The EU is finding that their open border policy has made containment much more of an issue.

The important thing here is that individual EU countries are closing their borders but probably should have done so earlier.

This can lead to bigger discussions like, should the US consider closing the borders of some states? Basically we are like the EU and always have been as far as travel between states.

I don't know the motive of knit pickers or trolls but don't have much patience for them.

PS not too fond of posts that actually start with FWIW.

Well I will if you will..you know when someone makes a "pithy" 3 or 4 word post "correcting" a post that doesn't need correcting you do wonder what the motive is. Your explanation of my original comment wasn't really necessary.

I don't know the motive of knit pickers or trolls but don't have much patience for them.

PS not too fond of posts that actually start with FWIW.
Seriously?

Stressful times for everyone, so let’s all take it easy and please keep it friendly.

I'm afraid that allergy season is going to add to the panic and demand on COVID-19 test kits for no reason.

Maybe not. Because of the shortage of swabs, my state is now limiting testing to those who are hospitalized and health care workers who show symptoms.

Don't feel bad, I just read something that said the same thing, some people with CV-19 pretty much just have cold symptoms. No, I don't have a link and I doubt I'll go back to look for it, but I did just read it today. Was it bad info? Maybe, it is the internet after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom