I Kinda Going To Miss The Solitude

Status
Not open for further replies.

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
With many folks doing their "revenge vacation" and socializing, I must admit, though I didn't like the risk of covid hanging over my head, I did enjoy the solitude of not having to socialize for socialization's sake :(.

I'm think some here can relate:

The pandemic seems like it’s reaching its end, hooray! Oh wait — does that mean I’m going to have to… go back into the real world again? See people? Maybe even… socialize? Oh… um… yikes.
After spending over a year in lockdown, just the thought of leaving the house — let alone throwing ourselves back into social situations — can be a particular source of stress. This may be especially true for us introverts, who feel nervous or drained around people to begin with. Maybe you feel like you’re the odd one out experiencing this, or harboring a secret desire for some of the lockdown measures to stay in place.
But if you feel like this, you’re not alone. In fact, as more and more people become vaccinated and it gets safer for more businesses to open and for more people to gather in groups, many people are experiencing a new phenomenon: reentry fear.

https://introvertdear.com/news/for-introverts-reentry-fear-after-the-pandemic-is-real/

Prior to covid I had a routine of going to the gym every day. Once covid closed the gyms, I started walking in the hills on rural roads out in my neck of the woods---alone.

I came to enjoy those walks, and the fresh air, and scenery---and the solitude. I may not go back to the gym at all, or I may alternate, most days walking, a few days at the gym.

After dealing with ticks last month, I lost all desire to go on walks. It’s been terribly hot and humid too. I re-joined the gym last week and I realized how good working out feels. Strength training is really important as we age and just walking doesn’t cut it.

I’ll walk again in the fall when the tick population dies down.

Something for everyone.

Solitude is priceless. I wouldn't survive life without nothing in my case really changed during the virus panic time.

Not for all thou, and socializing is something we all need but at different levels. IMO

I never have been a highly social type. Don't get me wrong.....I'm not a hermit as I play golf with friends a few times a week(even during covid) but don't socialize a ton outside of that. Maybe catch a beer with a couple of friends here and there pre covid. I'm starting to do that again. So not a lot changed for me during the pandemic.

If the pandemic would have hit while I was working, I would feel like the OP. I hated the forced socialization like conferences and such. Being retired, not much did change with the pandemic. I did stop going to the gym, but I didn’t socialize there. Early on in the pandemic, we decided with my daughter that we were one big family (a pod) so we never missed the grandkids or that type of socialization. My old work crew was notified that they’ll be fazing back to the office in the second half of the year. Most are not happy, but one guy I worked closely with can’t wait. He really misses seeing the people at work. That was a surprise to him since he’d never call himself a people person.

Having tested way out there on the Introvert scale, this period was easy for me. It is nice now to occasionally see friends for dinner but I don’t intend to push for more socialization...

And who says we have to or should?

One of the nice things about retirement is that I have much more flexibility in choosing my social/solitude time. Even though the lack of socializing during the pandemic did not bother me, I felt it was bad to go completely in that direction so still tried to strike a balance via phone calls, zoom meetings, etc.

This weekend, from Friday through Sunday, DW and I have been invited to 5 social events... I'll attend the 2 that are "action" related. DW will likely attend 4 and is mulling over the 5th one, but she is the social director in the family.

Next week, for the first time in over a year, DW will be having a group of her friends over to socialize. Fortunately the house is big enough that I can "avoid" them :).

Prior to covid I had a routine of going to the gym every day. Once covid closed the gyms, I started walking in the hills on rural roads out in my neck of the woods---alone.

I came to enjoy those walks, and the fresh air, and scenery---and the solitude. I may not go back to the gym at all, or I may alternate, most days walking, a few days at the gym.

A home gym is an absolute must IMHO. Going to a public gym is as uncomfortable to me as going on a cruise. Way too many people! I too walk our neighborhood in the AM and I love the solitude. No TV, no distractions, a great way to get the day going! :)

Another introvert here, didn't mind the lack of outside socialization this past year+. Kept up with family via zoom and friends via FB.
DH and I go on walks together to get outside.

That is a good article, I do recognize a bit of re entry fear in myself.

I can take only so much socialization, but the pandemic made me miss it.

I have always started my day with a solitary walk in the neighborhood and love it ! Before the pandemic I was going to the gym almost daily and now do 'not as much' exercises, weights at home, but for now still enough to hold out on returning to the gym. Things may change as everything eventually does.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom