Its really scary out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2HOTinPHX

Full time employment: Posting here.
I want to share a scary day.
Will this be the new norm? I hope not.
Medical non-covid emergency yesterday AM at home. Yes these are still happening.
Called 911.
Fire department arrives 5 guys all masked up.
First questions are all covid related.
They ask a lot more non covid related questions while running vitals.
Its determined need to get to emergency room now.
The fire truck heads to emergency room with patient.
I gather up things and head to emergency room.
First thing they do is take your temp, ask covid questions and hand you a new mask. Better safe than sorry. Replace my mask with the new one.
Get directions and head to room. Down this hall turn left down that hall turn right. Man this place is big and sadly lots of sick people in the rooms. Thank goodness for these places and the people that choose to take care of us.
Everyone in mask, some even wearing respirators and face shields. More questions about covid...
Running test and more test figuring out whats going on...IV's given...wait wait wait...Hospital so that's to be expected. Patient in good, caring hands now and stabilized after many hours. Hopefully patient will be well enough to go home today
Mask and worry everywhere....these are the true heroes. I don't know how they do it going back there day after day after day...facing an invisible enemy and seeing all the suffering...especially now.
So for the Police, Fireman, Doctors and especially the Nurses who are living thru this everyday please do the right thing for all of them. They too would like to return to a more normal life. Without our help I am not sure its possible. It is truly is a scary new world..:flowers:

Last edited:
I don’t know how they do it every day either!

I’m glad the patient had access to a hospital and in good caring hands and stabilized.

Thanks for sharing!

DD is a hospital nurse, she has worked the COVID floor regularly when there were a lot of patients.

She still has to mask up, so that's a pain (especially for her, she has skin reactions to many things). But she has never said she's been scared, she's never made this into a drama. She just does her job.

Of course, nursing is a demanding job. But the 3 (12 hour) days on, 4 days off hospital schedule helps a lot.

When I did spend some time in a hospital, long before DD was born, long before COVID, I made a point to try to be pleasant with the nurses, even though I felt like heck. Clearly, they have a rough job, and I'm sure some of their patients are just nasty, and some of them probably just can't help being difficult due to the situation. So I tried extra hard to be nice.

And even that has a little selfish motivation, heck, it's only reasonable to think they might go a little extra for a patient that seems to at least be trying to be cooperative, and it might be easy to care a little less for someone giving you a hard time.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't think COVID plays into it that much, there's a lot of COVID drama, IMO. Be nice, be respectful of everyone who is doing a tough job (garbage-men, plumbers, etc) and doing it well. DD will still be working with patients 3 days a week, even when COVID has became less eventful. It won't be that different.

-ERD50

Yes it is. My niece is an ER pediatric doctor, this has been taking a terrible toll on her and her family. Nephew is a paramedic and deals with it daily.

The Covid questions don't bother me that much. What bothers me is that people are now having much needed but not critical surgeries postponed because of the need to divert resources to present and potential future Covid care. But, I guess we simply get through it as best as possible. And be grateful we are not on the critical can't wait list.

DD is a hospital nurse, she has worked the COVID floor regularly when there were a lot of patients.

She still has to mask up, so that's a pain (especially for her, she has skin reactions to many things). But she has never said she's been scared, she's never made this into a drama. She just does her job.

Of course, nursing is a demanding job. But the 3 (12 hour) days on, 4 days off hospital schedule helps a lot.

When I did spend some time in a hospital, long before DD was born, long before COVID, I made a point to try to be pleasant with the nurses, even though I felt like heck. Clearly, they have a rough job, and I'm sure some of their patients are just nasty, and some of them probably just can't help being difficult due to the situation. So I tried extra hard to be nice.

And even that has a little selfish motivation, heck, it's only reasonable to think they might go a little extra for a patient that seems to at least be trying to be cooperative, and it might be easy to care a little less for someone giving you a hard time.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't think COVID plays into it that much, there's a lot of COVID drama, IMO. Be nice, be respectful of everyone who is doing a tough job (garbage-men, plumbers, etc) and doing it well. DD will still be working with patients 3 days a week, even when COVID has became less eventful. It won't be that different.

-ERD50
+1

My father was a plastic surgeon who specialized in very severe burn cases, back in the mid 20th century. His patients were in severe pain and often died despite heroic attempts to save them. And when they did, it's time to rush into surgery to help the next patient, in equally dire condition. It's not like he could just take a break when felt like it, if somebody was on death's door. His job seemed terribly grisly to me, so I asked him one time why he chose to do this? He said, "Somebody's got to do it." By that, I presume he meant that they needed help and he wanted to do what he could. He did save some.

Being a doctor or a nurse can be an emotionally draining, terribly demanding job. It isn't always! And, there are rewards, both personal and financial to be had. I agree with ERD50, be nice not only to doctors and nurses, but to everyone doing a tough job. :)

So for the Police, Fireman, Doctors and especially the Nurses who are living thru this everyday please do the right thing for all of them. They too would like to return to a more normal life. Without our help I am not sure its possible. It is truly is a scary new world..:flowers:

+1, IMO, in many ways I see them as brave and caring as the men and women in the military, especially these days.

. What bothers me is that people are now having much needed but not critical surgeries postponed because of the need to divert resources to present and potential future Covid
I could be wrong (often am) but at least around here it "seems" elective surgeries are still happening, in many cases... I know a couple of folks that have had (in the past month) or that are scheduled for elective surgeries in the near future.... Same with dentist... Last year at this time, many were closed due to Covid concerns, not so today...

Last edited:
I don't know how they do it either, while keeping their sanity. I have several friends who are nurses and I know at least one (ER nurse) has had no vacation days for over a year.

Last edited:
OP here again.

Patient is doing better today and hopefully will be released tomorrow. We are very thankful for the care being received.
I did not mean to imply the staff was showing fear.. probably more like I was freaking out being in this strange environment with everyone wearing mask and some with respirators and faceshields. It feels like something out of one of those Outbreak movies. The staff is very professional and very friendly.
One of the nurses we spoke to last night was finally taking some time off. First break in over a year and she said she needed to get away from it all and decompress. She said it has been really hard 18 months and especially now as they are seeing more children coming in.

It is strange to be here in the hospital wearing a mask and seeing all the empty waiting rooms. They are only allowing one visitor a day.
Just thought I would share a real world experience.... do you best to stay healthy for yourself and for those that are there for us when we need them.

Last edited:
+1, IMO, in many ways I see them as brave and caring as the men and women in the military, especially these days.

I could be wrong (often am) but at least around here it "seems" elective surgeries are still happening, in many cases... I know a couple of folks that have had (in the past month) or that are scheduled for elective surgeries in the near future.... Same with dentist... Last year at this time, many were closed due to Covid concerns, not so today...
My biggest fear is we are letting our guard down to soon. I hope I am wrong. I understand we all want to get back to normal. I am so tired of this all.

Thanks for this post.

I'm an Urgent Care physician. I see COVID patients and COVID-suspects every day. It's exhausting. We are all burned out. A lot of staff members have transferred to "calmer" specialties where they don't have to deal with it anymore, especially all of the people with their wild beliefs and claims and anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers.

Meanwhile, I'm in an N95 covered with a surgical mask for 12 hours/day because I can't trust anybody to tell the front desk person the full story when they check in. They get asked a bunch of COVID screening questions and say no to all of them until I get in the room and suddenly they mention the cough and the fever and the body aches that they denied having a few minutes earlier. And of course I walk into the room and their mask is off. They can't comprehend why they need to keep it on the whole time they are in the office, even when they're alone in the exam room.

All of this is a big reason why I decided to drop down to part time, and it will be a big factor in me retiring earlier than originally planned. All of us in health care have had enough, and it is only getting worse. I personally am seeing 4 or 5 cases a day, sometimes more, because people refuse to follow the guidelines. They just want to behave like COVID is over and they can go back to normal. If only wishing that made it so.

Wifey and I both went to the ER during the covid times. She for a really bad headache and me for nicking my finger with the table saw. Both had "tent" check in. The staff was dressed in hazmat suits.

No big deal. Life as usual in the covid times.

My biggest fear is we are letting our guard down to soon.
That ship sailed a while ago. That's why we're seeing out of control numbers again. And once school starts everywhere it's going to get way worse since kids under 12 haven't been vaccinated and Delta is hitting children much harder than the original strain. Schools that have reopened already are seeing hundreds of cases just in the first couple of weeks of the school year.

I don't know how the health care workers are doing it. I couldn't work in an environment where on any given day you could catch a virus that could kill you.

I don't know how the health care workers are doing it. I couldn't work in an environment where on any given day you could catch a virus that could kill you.
Believe me, spring and summer 2020 was outrageously scary and stressful. At the time, we just didn't know much about the virus, PPE was in short supply, policies were literally changing daily, there was no vaccine yet, and coworkers were coming down with COVID regularly.

Today at least the situation is better. We're all vaccinated (except the mind boggling anti-vax health care workers which I'll never understand). We have a good supply of PPE. We've developed a good work flow for limiting contact with COVID suspects as much as possible.

The situation did worsen when the mask mandates started going away and people started leaving their houses and gathering again. That should never have happened. It was way too soon and we're paying for it now. Personally we are still wearing masks everywhere we go, dining outside, and avoiding large gatherings, just as we have for the past year and a half. And as soon as they okay the booster shots, we'll be getting them since I'm already 8 months out which is the guideline they're talking about.

My real fear, as I mentioned, is what will happen in a couple of weeks when school starts here. Thankfully our state did mandate masks in school. Hopefully they enforce that and it helps minimize the number of pediatric cases. I have no idea how we're going to handle the increased volume of patients at our clinics as we are already seeing record numbers with just the adults. We're short staffed both in providers and support staff. I really fear what the fall and winter are going to look like for us.

Before COVID, I was with my DM in the hospital several times, and the big issue at that time (especially if you were admitted from a nursing home or assisted living), was MRSA.

We had to gown up every single time we went in/out of her room. Hospital staff the same - every single time.

This isn't really that unique. It was a pain, but we all managed.

-ERD50

We just had a brush with the fine medical system in our area. DW having severe pain late last evening so I pull up a list of ERs near me and start dialing. Most have 3+ hr wait times on a Saturday night in a major metro (violent) area. Several didn’t answer the phone including the-brand new hi tech County General. The most prestigious one would not give wait times. Another said “only 3 hours tonight, last weekend it was 10”. Fortunately one major hospital chain just across the state line has a website with updated waiting times for all 12 of their hospitals in the region. Brilliant!!! One of them is a 50 minute drive but only 12 minute wait time so we went there. They were great. Took us straight back. Everyone was great. True Hero’s. Vast majority of folks where we live seem to be taking COVID risk seriously. We are counting our blessings. DW is home recovering.

It seems like an app or website to provide updated wait times throughout the region would be a win-win.

Drive safe out there. You don't want to crash and need an ER.
Op here again. Strange coinsidece you mention that. Yesterday morning when I was on the way to the hospital I "might" have been speeding to get there. Mostly lite freeway traffic...but then I exited the freeway and got stuck at a red light. Two lanes both turning left one car in each lane so I am the second car in right lane. Light turns green and as we all proceed suddenly you hear brake squealing from the left. A car ran the light and was doing about 40 mph, skidded and swerved though the intersection missing both the other cars. If I had been the first car in my lane and being in a rush I am pretty certain he would have plowed right into me. I could have been killed or seriously injured and in the hospital. Seriously a sign to slow down...

Last edited:
Thanks for this post.

Meanwhile, I'm in an N95 covered with a surgical mask for 12 hours/day because I can't trust anybody to tell the front desk person the full story when they check in. They get asked a bunch of COVID screening questions and say no to all of them until I get in the room and suddenly they mention the cough and the fever and the body aches that they denied having a few minutes earlier. And of course I walk into the room and their mask is off. They can't comprehend why they need to keep it on the whole time they are in the office, even when they're alone in the exam room.

I go to my dermatologist every 6 to 8 weeks for shots and I started going to him about 6 months before COVID shutdown last year. They cancelled on me twice last year which I did not reschedule, presumably they considered my case non-urgent or maybe they had an outbreak at the practice. I resumed my visits with him in June this year. In July, my husband was tested positive for COVID after a dinner event, but I was negative and we retested ourselves each day and I was always negative. We are both vaccinated.

At the entrance of the practice, there was a questionaire which patients had to fill out, asking about COVID exposure etc. About a week after my husband came down with COVID but almost totally recovered by then, I kept my appointment and I had filled out the form in full and proceeded to talk to the front desk. I said "I should have called to see if I should even come...", presenting the form face up and oriented to her to read my answers. She interrupted me and said "Do you not have an appointment?" I said yes I did and she said to take a seat and someone would get me. She just put the form away without even taking a glance. Yep, don't trust the front desk folks.

Before COVID, I was with my DM in the hospital several times, and the big issue at that time (especially if you were admitted from a nursing home or assisted living), was MRSA.

We had to gown up every single time we went in/out of her room. Hospital staff the same - every single time.

This isn't really that unique. It was a pain, but we all managed.

-ERD50

Perhaps if we "managed" covid like mrsa we would be a better place right now?

My real fear, as I mentioned, is what will happen in a couple of weeks when school starts here. Thankfully our state did mandate masks in school. Hopefully they enforce that and it helps minimize the number of pediatric cases. I have no idea how we're going to handle the increased volume of patients at our clinics as we are already seeing record numbers with just the adults. We're short staffed both in providers and support staff. I really fear what the fall and winter are going to look like for us.
Schools already open here in Phoenix....

Since students returned to in-person learning in August, districts have reported more than 2,000 confirmed COVID-19 cases and required thousands of students to quarantine.

Perhaps if we "managed" covid like mrsa we would be a better place right now?

I'm not sure what the comparison is?

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/68/wr/mm6809e1.htm

MRSA results seem somewhat mixed. Hasn't COVID been reduced greatly since the first surge?

Results: In 2017, an estimated 119,247 S. aureus bloodstream infections with 19,832 associated deaths occurred. During 2005–2012 rates of hospital-onset MRSA bloodstream infection decreased by 17.1% annually, but the decline slowed during 2013–2016. Community-onset MRSA declined less markedly (6.9% annually during 2005–2016), mostly related to declines in health care–associated infections. Hospital-onset MSSA has not significantly changed (p = 0.11), and community-onset MSSA infections have slightly increased (3.9% per year, p<0.0001) from 2012 to 2017.

-ERD50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom