Its really scary out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meanwhile, I'm in an N95 covered with a surgical mask for 12 hours/day because I can't trust anybody to tell the front desk person the full story when they check in. They get asked a bunch of COVID screening questions and say no to all of them until I get in the room and suddenly they mention the cough and the fever and the body aches that they denied having a few minutes earlier. And of course I walk into the room and their mask is off. They can't comprehend why they need to keep it on the whole time they are in the office, even when they're alone in the exam room.
Gosh how frustrating! I guess it’s just impossible for many people to understand this invisible foe!

I hope you have air cleaners in those exam rooms!

Last edited:
Thanks for this post.

I'm an Urgent Care physician. I see COVID patients and COVID-suspects every day. It's exhausting. We are all burned out. A lot of staff members have transferred to "calmer" specialties where they don't have to deal with it anymore, especially all of the people with their wild beliefs and claims and anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers.

Meanwhile, I'm in an N95 covered with a surgical mask for 12 hours/day because I can't trust anybody to tell the front desk person the full story when they check in. They get asked a bunch of COVID screening questions and say no to all of them until I get in the room and suddenly they mention the cough and the fever and the body aches that they denied having a few minutes earlier. And of course I walk into the room and their mask is off. They can't comprehend why they need to keep it on the whole time they are in the office, even when they're alone in the exam room.

All of this is a big reason why I decided to drop down to part time, and it will be a big factor in me retiring earlier than originally planned. All of us in health care have had enough, and it is only getting worse. I personally am seeing 4 or 5 cases a day, sometimes more, because people refuse to follow the guidelines. They just want to behave like COVID is over and they can go back to normal. If only wishing that made it so.
Op here again,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us here. You and all those who take care of us when we are in need are true heroes and I thank you and your families who have had to go though this with you.

The reason I felt I should share my story is it seems to me like a lot of general public has decided to move on with their lives as if we defeated covid or it's not a big deal. Now we are seeing another wave and it's affect more children this time.

I hoped by sharing my brief unplanned experience outside by bubble we could all pause to remember we are all in this together and what you choose to do or not could affect more than yourself.

Thanks for this post.

I'm an Urgent Care physician. I see COVID patients and COVID-suspects every day. It's exhausting. We are all burned out. A lot of staff members have transferred to "calmer" specialties where they don't have to deal with it anymore, especially all of the people with their wild beliefs and claims and anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers.

All of this is a big reason why I decided to drop down to part time, and it will be a big factor in me retiring earlier than originally planned. All of us in health care have had enough, and it is only getting worse. I personally am seeing 4 or 5 cases a day, sometimes more, because people refuse to follow the guidelines. They just want to behave like COVID is over and they can go back to normal. If only wishing that made it so.
Thank you for the work you do. I have a 14 year old who nearly cut his thumb off a few weeks ago. We were so grateful for the ER staff and the ER doctor who did an incredible job of sewing him up despite the over crowded hospital with covid patients wherever the ER staff could put them. We started school almost 2 weeks ago and covid thankfully seems to be trending down here. Praying for you and all the exhausted health care workers.

I'm not sure what the comparison is?

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/68/wr/mm6809e1.htm

MRSA results seem somewhat mixed. Hasn't COVID been reduced greatly since the first surge?

-ERD50
You had mentioned "We had to gown up every single time we went in/out of her room. Hospital staff the same - every single time."

We can't even agree to everyone wearing a simple mask or getting vaccinated...just saying imagine if we managed to we would be in a much better place IMO.

Instead I was in the emergency room with a Doctor in a respirator and face shield trying to comfort patient and explaining why they were rushed to the emergency room. Not something I would want anyone else to have to experience if we can avoid it.

To all...

I was just trying to remind everyone that things are not normal out there. We need to think about all the people out there everyday on the front lines of this pandemic still fighting to keep us safe and alive as we go about our lives. Please do what you can to stay safe because you never know when you might need them to be your heroes. This weekend they were my heroes.

I think there is one thing we can all agree on.... to those on the frontlines....

knyBKCC4dt1AqSrPGv_yONBJnbPyKCZwE3eVQxAYdhGcKxMKu4RVIfSYisg8gav7_GG7chqNVbmkvz5nBkIag9CGktWpAgpJQjS-1A

Last edited:
To all...

I was just trying to remind everyone that things are not normal out there and we need to think about all the people out there everyday on the front lines of this pandemic still fighting to keep us safe and alive as we go about our business.

I think one thing we can all agree on....

knyBKCC4dt1AqSrPGv_yONBJnbPyKCZwE3eVQxAYdhGcKxMKu4RVIfSYisg8gav7_GG7chqNVbmkvz5nBkIag9CGktWpAgpJQjS-1A

thank-you-memes-07-720x511.jpg

+1000

I couldn't agree more. The health care professionals out there are unsung heroes, and deserve all the support we can give them.

What a coincidence. Same thing happened to me last night. As I was gathering up my bag of meds, keys, wallet, medical alert necklace, and proof of Covid shot, I thought "Put on a mask while you're at it before they get here.." "Do unto others...."

You had mentioned "We had to gown up every single time we went in/out of her room. Hospital staff the same - every single time."

We can't even agree to everyone wearing a simple mask or getting vaccinated...just saying imagine if we managed to we would be in a much better place IMO.

Instead I was in the emergency room with a Doctor in a respirator and face shield trying to comfort patient and explaining why they were rushed to the emergency room. Not something I would want anyone else to have to experience if we can avoid it.

Yes, that gowning up was when we went in/out the room she was in. No such precautions were in place in the ER when she was admitted.

I'm not following you - gowning up in/out of a hospital room has nothing to do (that I can see) with whether the general public agree to "everyone wearing a simple mask [in public] or getting vaccinated..." (for the record, me and my family are all fully vaccinated, I wear a mask where requested or if I feel it is a good precaution).

Oh well, I'll leave it at that, I don't think this detail of the exchange is going anywhere.

-ERD50

Schools already open here in Phoenix....

Since students returned to in-person learning in August, districts have reported more than 2,000 confirmed COVID-19 cases and required thousands of students to quarantine.
That sounds much like Florida especially NE Fl. Some public schools have already closed in five counties. There is no telling what will happen on college campuses in a couple of weeks.

Would school attendance be considered a Superspreader like biker rallies, political rallies, or music venues with no vaccination or mask requirements? Are we opening too soon while there is an increase in Covid variants like Delta? Glad my wife and I are retired from all that.

Cheers!

Drive safe out there. You don't want to crash and need an ER.

Reminds me of some pleas of an ER physician I saw yesterday on TV. He basically said this is a terrible time to have a heart attack or a stroke, because you very well could die due to ERs being overwhelmed with COVID patients.

Schools. Oye. You can see how that is playing out in Georgia where school started about 3 weeks ago. One of the large metro counties of ATL that doesn't have a mask requirement had their case numbers double in a week.

As long as we have a low percentage of vaccinated people, people who place the words of self serving politicians, faith leaders, media personalities or face book friends over science and the advice of medical experts we will have a covid challenge.

The current numbers tell the story. And they shed light on the lies and the misinformation.

Please, thank your medical personnel when they have helped you. (I'm sure most of you do). They appreciate it so much. It must be so discouraging when they can't fix somebody, so I make a point of letting them know when the treatment was a success!

Also, when I notice someone has been kind to us, even though they were busy and we weren't the sickest people on the docket.

The Pfizer vaccine has been FDA approved. I wonder if there's a chance that we will have a Federal mandate now? It doesn't seem that we have a chance against C-19 without orders from the top.

The Pfizer vaccine has been FDA approved. I wonder if there's a chance that we will have a Federal mandate now? It doesn't seem that we have a chance against C-19 without orders from the top.
I am not sure even orders from the top would help at this point. I read Ex president Trump mentioned the vaccine at a rally this past weekend and he was booed.
Then I see on the news this AM parents in Scottsdale Arizona have started a recall on council members who voted for mask mandates in schools.
FOX 10 News Phoenix: Recall petitions filed for Scottsdale Unified School District board members who voted in favor of mask mandate.
https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/r...rd-members-who-voted-in-favor-of-mask-mandate

There is a mandate for Federal employees, who serve at the pleasure of the President. EDIT: And the Pentagon can mandate that active-duty members get a vaccine.

But if you mean something that controls the whole U.S. population, that likely would take an Act of Congress. Hard to see that getting through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom