Neighborhood protests

Status
Not open for further replies.
In North Carolina in Raleigh, NC (our capital) we had about 1000 protestors yesterday who are against our current stay at home order. It appeared to be mainly younger people in the crowd and alot of children! The protestors were not social distancing at all and were not wearing masks. I saw the protestors on TV --it looked more like a political rally than a protest. The leaders of the protest movement said they are going to protest every Tuesday until things open up.

I have looked at the Facebook page of the protest leader in NC--she is anti-vaccination.

They interviewed one protestor who said he owned a roofing company and he said that people had cancelled roofing jobs he had lined up--but roofing is still allowed in NC so he could still be working. I don't know exactly how cancelling the stay at home order will help him.

There was a smaller crowd of medical people dressed in scrubs that were anti-protestors who said we need to keep the stay at home orders for a while more.

Last edited:
Some peoples biggest contribution to society is serving as an example for others.

LOL - reminds me of this Despair.com poster:

MGmcys2.png

How could Sweden have possibly achieved herd immunity in some areas already? They don’t seem to have enough cases yet.

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/co...2YP9J7iJveh4ITIwJG3llj48jedm15jJrrqewNud4WcQw
Here is one of several articles:

Coronavirus: Sweden to achieve partial ‘herd immunity’ in weeks

Some say you need approximately 50% positive based on highly contagious. Could be less if not as contagious as reported. The number of cases is hard to determine due to low testing and asymptomatics.

Last edited:
I have a feeling this will be an issue for a long time. Without a vaccine or therapeutic treatment will it be inevitable that we all end up getting the virus?
Yes, or enough of the population to where the virus is unable to find unprotected hosts to continue on.

I think the odds are against a vaccine. In some cases it's been a matter of timing (i.e. virus runs its course), but no vaccine for any coronavirus has been approved by the FDA. Given our litigious society, I'm willing to bet COVID-19 will run its course before approval is given for any vaccine, assuming they are able to get one developed in the first place.

Last edited:
And back in Jan/Feb 2020 after US implemented health screening at the major airports and restrictions for people arriving from china......

New York Feb 202

"While some cities, such as Paris and Miami, have canceled new year celebrations amid the coronavirus outbreak as a precautionary measure, massive crowds flocked to Sunday’s parade in lower Manhattan.
There were around 20,000 people at the celebrations — on par with the crowd size in previous years, according to state Sen. John Liu.
“We have no confirmed cases in New York and we want people to know Chinatown is open and as vibrant as ever,” New York state Senator Brian Kavanagh said."
https://nypost.com/.../nyc-chinese-new-year-parade.../

Last edited:
And back in Jan/Feb 2020 after US implemented health screening at the major airports and restrictions for people arriving from china......

New York Feb 202

"While some cities, such as Paris and Miami, have canceled new year celebrations amid the coronavirus outbreak as a precautionary measure, massive crowds flocked to Sunday’s parade in lower Manhattan.
There were around 20,000 people at the celebrations — on par with the crowd size in previous years, according to state Sen. John Liu.
“We have no confirmed cases in New York and we want people to know Chinatown is open and as vibrant as ever,” New York state Senator Brian Kavanagh said."
https://nypost.com/.../nyc-chinese-new-year-parade.../
Link is dated in January 30, 2012. I guess I'm confused because I don't see the correlation to the topic of this thread.

Could we get back to the topic of neighborhood protests and leave Sweden out of this, unless of course you live in Sweden and your neighbors are protesting something. Thanks.

I like when these people say to re-open the schools now, and that people can just choose whether to send their kids back then. They have not thought that one through.
- How do you know how to staff the schools if you don't know if a student is coming back or not on any day?
- If a teacher is back in the class room, how are they also going to distance teach their students that choose to stay home?
- How is social distancing able to be done in the schools, which clearly were not designed to physically accommodate that?
- Perhaps teachers (who are probably smarter than these morons) might not want to risk their lives, or the lives of their students, and not show up
- etc

I heard about a gathering of protesters in the state capitol, which seemed pointless to me, are these folks workaholics who want to resume 80 hour weeks, or alcoholics who want to get back out to the bars ?

I like when these people say to re-open the schools now, and that people can just choose whether to send their kids back then. They have not thought that one through.
- How do you know how to staff the schools if you don't know if a student is coming back or not on any day?
- If a teacher is back in the class room, how are they also going to distance teach their students that choose to stay home?
- How is social distancing able to be done in the schools, which clearly were not designed to physically accommodate that?
- Perhaps teachers (who are probably smarter than these morons) might not want to risk their lives, or the lives of their students, and not show up
- etc

Just exactly what I want to avoid, a bunch of snot nosed kids who bring all their family's germs with them to school, and gather in groups.

Could we get back to the topic of neighborhood protests and leave Sweden out of this, unless of course you live in Sweden and your neighbors are protesting something. Thanks.

Or we could talk about testing...

Just exactly what I want to avoid, a bunch of snot nosed kids who bring all their family's germs with them to school, and gather in groups.
You mean like during every other flu season in the past? Not trying to downplay the severity of COVID-19. I'm just wondering what we'll do in the future if a flu season is "nastier" than average.

There were some comments about the mental capacity of people wanting the nation to ease restrictions....

Well here are several that are doing just that....in fact there is a whole country that did that......

seems right on topic to me... maybe they don't protest in other countries....:popcorn:

You mean like during every other flu season in the past? Not trying to downplay the severity of COVID-19. I'm just wondering what we'll do in the future if a flu season is "nastier" than average.

Perhaps we can insist that if you want to send your kid to a public school, they must have the flu shot, just like we currently do for other diseases.

For those nut-cases that are anti-vax, they can keep their kids home and home school them.

Perhaps we can insist that if you want to send your kid to a public school, they must have the flu shot, just like we currently do for other diseases.

For those nut-cases that are anti-vax, they can keep their kids home and home school them.

A lot of home schooling in FLA. Not sure how well that works.

We had similar protests in Austin this last Saturday at the Capital.
Of course Austin is probably the least representative city of Texas in the state. I suspect (but do not know) that many of the protestors were not local. However, I can understand such protest in a state where ~20% of the counties in the state have had zero confirmed cases and only ~10% of the counties have had over 100 confirmed cases. Counting the actual cases, that comes out to ~0.0724 of the state population. (So far)

Last edited:
I have to admit, when I see these protesters the first thing I think about is how many of them were living beyond their means, spending every cent they make, buying their lattes at Starbucks, going out to the bars to drink with their buddies, eating in fancy restaurants, driving cars they can’t afford, all while ignoring the need to build up an emergency savings reserve.

And now after one month of lockdown they are crying about how they are broke and can’t pay their bills. And they want to expose all of us to unnecessary risk because they failed to do any planning.

This is the problem with many people in this country, they have almost zero savings. Over 60% live paycheck to paycheck and have learned very little from the last recession. Unfortunately many businesses big and small, operate in the same manner. I saw a report on a woman who lost her job and is now going to a food bank. But she was driving a BMW and the reporter stated "can you see that many people will see you driving that car and have very little sympathy for you."

I saw a report on a woman who lost her job and is now going to a food bank. But she was driving a BMW and the reporter stated "can you see that many people will see you driving that car and have very little sympathy for you."

It'll be a moot point after her Beemer is repossessed.:)

Not in my Neighborhood. Actually not in our State. Some folks tried to have a protest at the State Capitol and 15 cars showed up to drive around in a circle.

This is the problem with many people in this country, they have almost zero savings. Over 60% live paycheck to paycheck and have learned very little from the last recession. Unfortunately many businesses big and small, operate in the same manner. I saw a report on a woman who lost her job and is now going to a food bank. But she was driving a BMW and the reporter stated "can you see that many people will see you driving that car and have very little sympathy for you."

Or this woman in PA who owns a 2nd home at the New Jersey shore and is worried about the summer renter backing out.

If they back out, she said, she will lose $14,000. On top of that, her husband, Timothy, was laid off because of the pandemic after working as an HVAC service manager for 30 years.

“I have no backup plan. We live paycheck to paycheck,” said Arabia-Galgon, who works as a property manager in Philadelphia. “I rely on that $14,000 to get me through the whole year with the bills.”

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate/coronavirus-summer-vacation-new-jersey-shore-rental-contracts-20200418.html

Maybe there's more to her story, but on the surface it sounds like one bad event at the shore house (fire, coastal storm, etc) and she'd be in big financial trouble without the rental income.

This pandemic is the double whammy for rental properties at shore locations. Can't rent them, and might be tough to sell without taking a loss for the next couple of years.

Or desperate. I think it's easier for people like those of us on this forum (retired, financially independent, etc.) to comply with social distancing than for those that live paycheck-to-paycheck and have to decide whether to pay for rent, healthcare, or groceries this month. I know that if I were in that position, I'd be wanting to take my chances and get back to work.

-Wino

I do not disagree, but lots of places are hiring - Walgreens, every supermarket, Amazon, etc., etc.. "Start today" signs around my house. All this with a statewide stay at home order.

Of course Austin is probably the least representative city of Texas in the state. I suspect (but do not know) that many of the protestors were not local. However, I can understand such protest in a state where ~20% of the counties in the state have had zero confirmed cases and only ~10% of the counties have had over 100 confirmed cases. Counting the actual cases, that comes out to ~0.0724 of the state population. (So far)

Texas also has one of the lowest test rates per 1m population.
In FLA, every county has been affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom