Canada Wildfires

We hit 100 AQI yesterday. I wasn't paying attention, so it may have gone further.

This chart shows what happened to us in June.

Being at This Location for a Long Period May Be a Risk Based on the past 30 days, your monthly exposure to PM2.5 at this location is above the yearly recommended levels of the WHO air quality guidelines. In other words, if your exposure to PM2.5 continues at this level for a year, it may pose a risk to your health.
https://www.breezometer.com/air-quality-map/air-quality/exposure

What air purifier(s) are y'all using?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    11.7 KB · Views: 30
We have a room hepa filter for the bedroom, and keep the windows closed to the house. If we go out, we put the van (has a cabin filter) on recycle air for the A/C.

Thinking I need to get a box fan and put a filter on it of a high rating.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-06-29 07-51-00.png
    Screenshot from 2023-06-29 07-51-00.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 28
I feel for all of you and those in Canada.
We. lived through the same thing a few years ago, when fires from OR/WA/and Canada were burning.
The nearest one had us on the last alert before bug out for several days, kind of eerie to see a red sun amongst a very dark yellow-greyish sky, if you could see it at all!

SW PA still code Red.

PM2.5 1/4 mile from my house, 145 this morning. Two miles away 181. Near tthe lake where I kayak 161. Downtown Pittsburgh 231, Purple. Was hoping that predicted wind direction would chage and blow from south. Not happening, have to pass on going kayaking. Another day of hanging out home or go to cafe.

We are still purple today in my part of southern Wisconsin. AQI of 253. It's pretty miserable outside. Sun not visible. Supposed to be better tomorrow.

We were a lot better today and we are getting some rain and wind. Hope it blows everything away!

Levels are rising again here in SE PA. I decided to skip the golf league this afternoon as AQI is over 150. It’s not as bad as it was in early June. I played just 9 holes back then and it was a little irritating. But then I woke up feeling crappy the next day with a headache that lasted all day. So I’ll wait for cleaner skies!

They said the fires will be burning all summer and fall till snow puts most of them out. This will be with all of us most of this year.

This phenomenon has been with us for a long time. There's a lot of wood in Canada! Each year there are fires. You'd think we would not have to care much about what burns in Canada, but here we are.

For some it will be worse than we talked about in early June. For others local patterns may cycle the particulate very quickly.

I'm expecting this to run until heavy snow covers much of the involved area. I wonder, though...

Another morning of code red, PM 185 worse than yesterday.

Afternoon willl drive my gas guzzler to camp. Check out how my forest looks, it has very dense foliage, even in sunlight is fairly dark below the canopy. Will see if it filtered out some of the smoke. Shining a tight beam flashlight down the walking trail should show smoke/particulates.

Another morning of code red, PM 185 worse than yesterday.

Afternoon willl drive my gas guzzler to camp. Check out how my forest looks, it has very dense foliage, even in sunlight is fairly dark below the canopy. Will see if it filtered out some of the smoke. Shining a tight beam flashlight down the walking trail should show smoke/particulates.

We've moved from several days of purple (hazardous for all people) all the way down to yellow today. Our advisory is supposed to expire at noon. It hasn't been pleasant, but I'm sure it's much worse dealing with lost homes and rebuilding efforts in Canada.

It's worse today than yesterday in south central PA. If I have to go out I'm wearing a KN95 mask. It filters out particles down to 0.3 microns and the particulates are about 2.5 microns. I can smell the smoke unmasked, but smell nothing masked. My son has an outdoor orchestra concert this evening. Percussion and string players can mask, but the wind players cannot. We'll see what happens.

It's worse today than yesterday in south central PA. If I have to go out I'm wearing a KN95 mask. It filters out particles down to 0.3 microns and the particulates are about 2.5 microns. I can smell the smoke unmasked, but smell nothing masked. My son has an outdoor orchestra concert this evening. Percussion and string players can mask, but the wind players cannot. We'll see what happens.

I wonder if the concert can be moved indoors?

We are back to normal. 31 down from 258 three days ago. We had a major rain/wind storm blow threw yesterday (80 mph winds). That took care of it. Clear and beautiful today but lots of branches are thrown all over the place. The trees survived.

Yeah, storms and winds up to 100 mph moved through yesterday, many large limbs snapped on trees, and it was very clear in the afternoon and evening. Finally spent some time outside. And more possible storms today, although they aren't expected to be as serious. I should be able to get out in decent air again later.

Yeah, we finally got cleaned out by a bunch of storms/rain. I'm sure it's not "0" but much better than the day before.

This phenomenon has been with us for a long time. There's a lot of wood in Canada! Each year there are fires. You'd think we would not have to care much about what burns in Canada, but here we are.

Yes, every year. But this year is a record so far, much worse than I remember it ever being, and I have a cabin ~200 miles from the current fires.

I'm not there but it must be really dry right now. :(

<mod post>
Posts have been deleted.
Please let us keep the thread focused on facts about the fires, air quality, other impacts and progress on controlling them.<mod post>

Really enjoying the clear air provided by storms and general change in winds. Wonderful not to smell smoke or not being able to see more than half a mile. Hope that's all, but I understand the fires are still burning. I guess the next major change in hemispheric weather will bring the smoke back. Well, enjoying the respite while it lasts.

We've moved from several days of purple (hazardous for all people) all the way down to yellow today. Our advisory is supposed to expire at noon. It hasn't been pleasant, but I'm sure it's much worse dealing with lost homes and rebuilding efforts in Canada.
Most of the burning is in remote areas and housing is not impacted. One exception is the traditional Canadian hotspot Litton BC that was totally destroyed two years ago.

One fire has taken out the only highway to our west coast of Uculet and Tofino, traditional surfing spots. They were totally isolated for 2 weeks. Killed the start of their summer tourist season, and many teachers commuted from the other side of the fire so were unable to resume their jobs.

Most of the burning is in remote areas and housing is not impacted. One exception is the traditional Canadian hotspot Litton BC that was totally destroyed two years ago.

One fire has taken out the only highway to our west coast of Uculet and Tofino, traditional surfing spots. They were totally isolated for 2 weeks. Killed the start of their summer tourist season, and many teachers commuted from the other side of the fire so were unable to resume their jobs.

I'm glad that the home loss isn't wide-spread, but I did read that some housing has been impacted:

"The Barrington Lake fire started May 27 in rural Shelburne County and raged out of control for days. By the time the province announced the fire had been brought "under control," it had grown to around 235 square kilometres in size — making it the largest on record in Nova Scotia.Officials said the fire destroyed about 60 homes and another 90 structures like outbuildings and barns. It also displaced 6,700 people from their homes, some for as long as two weeks."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova...r-lost-home-fighting-to-save-others-1.6888797

Really enjoying the clear air provided by storms and general change in winds. Wonderful not to smell smoke or not being able to see more than half a mile. Hope that's all, but I understand the fires are still burning. I guess the next major change in hemispheric weather will bring the smoke back. Well, enjoying the respite while it lasts.
Yeah, air is rated fair or good here now in IL. I won't be surprised if it ramps back up at some point with wind changes, but I'm hoping it stays clear for the most part and just have to be inconvenienced minimally. I really like to get outside for exercise and take advantage of nice weather. I've never had to postpone or stay inside before due to air quality in my life. Plus, I find myself retired a year early and can actually take advantage of it more. Strange times.

Last edited:
I'm glad that the home loss isn't wide-spread, but I did read that some housing has been impacted:

"The Barrington Lake fire started May 27 in rural Shelburne County and raged out of control for days. By the time the province announced the fire had been brought "under control," it had grown to around 235 square kilometres in size — making it the largest on record in Nova Scotia.Officials said the fire destroyed about 60 homes and another 90 structures like outbuildings and barns. It also displaced 6,700 people from their homes, some for as long as two weeks."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova...r-lost-home-fighting-to-save-others-1.6888797

This sounds extremely frightening. Maybe even worse than the western US fires - and I had never really heard of the Canadian fires until this year. I'm sure they have had them. Fortunately, the population density is much less in Canada. I wonder how long this will last.

Back
Top Bottom