Neighborhood protests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Texas also has one of the lowest test rates per 1m population.
In FLA, every county has been affected.
Maybe, but FLA still has less deaths per million population than the average in the U.S. Even if you take New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Massachusetts out of the equation, the four worse states in terms of COVID-19 deaths per million population.

I took another picture of people holding signs up so I could see what they said after I got home. Here is the text from four signs:

“All Businesses Are Essential...Get Back to Work!”

“Let Healthy Responsible Adults Work!”

“.25% Sick, 99.75% A OK”

“Government Using Fear To Enslave”

Our County has 3.1 million residents. We have 1691 confirmed cases, 33 deaths. So the numbers are very low here relative to the hot spots like Los Angeles. Of course they give no credit to the fact that these numbers are low because of the stay at home order. They apparently don’t see the cause and effect.

And of course, it’s the beach, and the last remaining beach open in Orange County. So if you are going to protest, you might as well do so at the beach.

Police were there but they were just watching. Even though the protesters were violating the “No Gathering” mandate they have been reluctant to do anything about it. It’s our second protest this week.

Los Angeles county now recorded 16,435 cases, with 729 deaths. The county reports cases by each community with approximately 30K residents. Our little community for an area of 2 X 3 miles has 38 cases. Makes me very nervous when DW and I go for our morning walks for we have no idea which neighbor may have positive cases.

Perhaps we can insist that if you want to send your kid to a public school, they must have the flu shot, just like we currently do for other diseases.

For those nut-cases that are anti-vax, they can keep their kids home and home school them.

I have never had a flu shot. I am 50 and have had the flu 3 times in all these years of my adult life bad enough that I can remember. Also I have never had chicken pox, even when my mom threw me in the room with my sister and 4 other cousins who were in full outbreak, just so I could get it and be done. She tried again a few year later with another friends kid, still nothing. That said, I am not an anti-vaxer nut-case and my son had all his vaccines and so did I as a kid. I just don't get the flu shot. My DH gets one each year and each year he has had the flu and same with my son. I just chose not too, personal choice. ;)

We had an organized protest in our fair city.
We had [not organized] healthcare workers counter protest.
I am so proud of those people who were not driving their F-250s and waving their guns.

At the protest in Raleigh NC there was a counter protest by nurses and doctors in scrubs. The news reported tonight that the protestors who want to open businesses back up heckled and made fun of the doctors and nurses. SMH

At the protest in Raleigh NC there was a counter protest by nurses and doctors in scrubs. The news reported tonight that the protestors who want to open businesses back up heckled and made fun of the doctors and nurses. SMH

Wow. That’s just so disturbing.

I used to split my time between the city and the mountains. We were getting tired of the city and mostly moved to our cabin in the mountains in December. Except for a vacation in Feb before this all really started - we've been away from the city.

And I'm very glad now. This sort of stuff is now happening just down the street from where our condo is in town:

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2020/04/19/protests-colorado-capitol-coronavirus/

and you've got protesters like this:

https://boingboing.net/2020/04/22/anti-lockdown-protestor-has.html

in many cities.

Fortunately in Denver - there were counter protesters as well:

https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...rs-confronted-anti-lockdown-protesters-denver

but I'm very glad to not be in town right now. We've mothballed our condo (used a whole 127kwh of electric versus 1,000 same time last year), flipped as many breakers as we could, setting the heat to 45, unplugging the fridge and so on.

I’m having a hard time distinguishing between a lockdown protest and a political rally. How did this virus become so political?

I haven’t seen any protestors aside from TV, but I’m in a low case/death region (so far). And from what I’ve seen, it’s a very small portion of the population. Funny how they garner way outsized attention while 99.99% of us are behaving. That said, the longer this goes on, the more financial stress and thereby more protestors? Hope not.

I have never had a flu shot. I am 50 and have had the flu 3 times in all these years of my adult life bad enough that I can remember. Also I have never had chicken pox, even when my mom threw me in the room with my sister and 4 other cousins who were in full outbreak, just so I could get it and be done. She tried again a few year later with another friends kid, still nothing. That said, I am not an anti-vaxer nut-case and my son had all his vaccines and so did I as a kid. I just don't get the flu shot. My DH gets one each year and each year he has had the flu and same with my son. I just chose not too, personal choice. ;)

That's interesting. I read that there are some people like you. I also read that everyone does get it when exposed, its just that some people have no outward symptoms that their body is dealing with the flu. See this about studies from U of Michagan and Duke describing this phenomena.

Your mother had an interesting way of seeing how you reacted to the flu virus! Of course, neither she nor you knew you were going to have no symptoms after exposure. IMHO, rather than spinning the revolver and pulling the trigger, we should vaccinate all kids in the public school system, just to be safe (unless of course there is a medical reason not to).

Lot's of condescending statements in this thread, from those who think they are mentally and morally superior.

When I looked at the OP's picture, most of those were not particularly close to each other. In addition, we don't know if some of them are family units. For instance, I am in my house on a couch a foot away from my child. There is no way to socially distance from each other (but we have been socially distancing from others outside the household).

Once again, the comparatively wealthy retirees who who make up ER.org have the LUXURY to stay at home and to not worry about where the next rent, mortgage, or food bill check is coming from. MOST of the United States population is not in your position. THEY are the ones who have lost their jobs, and for the most part have done what is been asked of them, but also realize that they MUST get back to work at some time - and that time is quickly approaching.

So while you sit and ridicule, and post witty things like criticizing the mental capacity of people wanting the nation to ease restrictions - just realize that if we wait too long that your life time savings (i.e. deferred spending) as expressed as equity positions in stocks and debt positions (bonds, CDS) are only worth what happens from the labor of those same mentally limited people you ridicule.

^^^ I fully support people wanting/needing to go back to work. The economy desperately needs this to happen. My "ridicule" is of the protesters that are walking around with no masks and standing next to each other, and saying it is unconstitutional to make them stay home. I am sorry, but these people are ignorant, and also apparently have not read the constitution (I have). But, I will shut up (thanks for pointing out my rudeness).

I went for a walk this morning to get some fresh air and exercise and found myself walking right into the middle of a protest. Police were there. People seemed to be intentionally standing right next to each other to make their point. It was difficult to get past them without getting closer than I would have preferred.

Is anyone else experiencing this in their neighborhood?

View attachment 34743
not here but more power to 'em!

^^^ I fully support people wanting/needing to go back to work. The economy desperately needs this to happen. My "ridicule" is of the protesters that are walking around with no masks and standing next to each other, and saying it is unconstitutional to make them stay home. I am sorry, but these people are ignorant, and also apparently have not read the constitution (I have). But, I will shut up (thanks for pointing out my rudeness).

can you please cite the article, section and paragraph of the Constitution that you believe supports your position?

This virus is getting caught in a fight between protesters who believe they have a right to vocalize their position on an issue (which of course they do) and a virus that is highly contagious and requires us to avoid gathering in groups to minimize the spread.

In Orange County there is a ban on any gathering of 2 or more people who do not live in the same household. So any way you look at it this group was violating a local County order.

I don't believe it addresses this, which is my point. But, if I am wrong, I am all ears.

Reference: https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/constitution-transcript

maybe i misunderstood your post. if so, my apologies.

you wrote: I am sorry, but these people are ignorant, and also apparently have not read the constitution (I have)

i ass-u-me-d that "these people" refered to the protesters who apparently are ignorant of the US Constitution. i interpreted all of that to mean said constitution allows the federal and/or state govts to impose the restrictions being protested by said people. that's why i asked for the citation.

again, apologies if i misunderstood.

Not here, people are generally well behaved. the only ones together are families out for a walk. The grocery stores have now all installed plexiglas shields for the checkers. I see protests on TV but not in person.

+1

rk911, peace. Sorry, these protesters really push my button. Everyone here, is good people. I'll shut up now.

Herd immunity is going to require 'thinning the herd'.

I'm convinced that in general, people are stupid.

It's not the virus. We have a pandemic of stupidity in this country.

Some peoples biggest contribution to society is serving as an example for others.

I think of this as a form of natural selection.

But I heard on TV, they are practicing social distancing.........

I have to admit, when I see these protesters the first thing I think about is how many of them were living beyond their means, spending every cent they make, buying their lattes at Starbucks, going out to the bars to drink with their buddies, eating in fancy restaurants, driving cars they can’t afford, all while ignoring the need to build up an emergency savings reserve.

And now after one month of lockdown they are crying about how they are broke and can’t pay their bills. And they want to expose all of us to unnecessary risk because they failed to do any planning.

They are also being manipulated by forces that they don't see nor understand.

LOL - reminds me of this Despair.com poster:

MGmcys2.png

I am so proud of those people who were not driving their F-250s and waving their guns.

This is a sampling. Really beneath us and it makes me wonder what is happening here on ER.org.

We are a nation founded on a set of fundamental rights, including the right to assembly. Specifically:
...or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

While the states do have rights to implement isolation and quarantine (which are different - Isolation separates people known to be ill from those who people who are not sick and Quarantine separates and also restricts the movement of people exposed to a contagious disease, but not yet ill, to see if they become sick. BUT, the abilities of states to do restriction of movement in these cases IS limited. The 5th amendment limits restrictions (due process considerations) and the 14th amendment (Equal Protection). Thus the restrictions cannot be "arbitrary, oppressive and unreasonable". So, when a mayor allows drive though food pick up but does NOT allow in-vehicle church services (where the windows are not even lowered), we as citizens should question.

In 1900, the city of San Francisco when they tried to quarantine Chinese citizens because the city suspected them of being bubonic plague carriers. That was found to be unconstitutional.

This virus is getting caught in a fight between protesters who believe they have a right to vocalize their position on an issue (which of course they do) and a virus that is highly contagious and requires us to avoid gathering in groups to minimize the spread.

In Orange County there is a ban on any gathering of 2 or more people who do not live in the same household. So any way you look at it this group was violating a local County order.

except physical distancing doesn't seem to be working well. a Stanford Univ. study suggests that CV19 is far more common, far more people have been infected...between 50-85% more...with no corresponding rise in the fatality rate. this in turn suggests that the virus is much more common and much less fatal. but some governors seem reluctant to look at the new science erupting around them.

the 8 or 9 states that have no lockdown don't seem to have significantly more or fewer of their citizens (% of popukation) infected.

common sense has left the building.

This is a sampling. Really beneath us and it makes me wonder what is happening here on ER.org.

We are a nation founded on a set of fundamental rights, including the right to assembly. Specifically:

While the states do have rights to implement isolation and quarantine (which are different - Isolation separates people known to be ill from those who people who are not sick and Quarantine separates and also restricts the movement of people exposed to a contagious disease, but not yet ill, to see if they become sick. BUT, the abilities of states to do restriction of movement in these cases IS limited. The 5th amendment limits restrictions (due process considerations) and the 14th amendment (Equal Protection). Thus the restrictions cannot be "arbitrary, oppressive and unreasonable". So, when a mayor allows drive though food pick up but does NOT allow in-vehicle church services (where the windows are not even lowered), we as citizens should question.

In 1900, the city of San Francisco when they tried to quarantine Chinese citizens because the city suspected them of being bubonic plague carriers. That was found to be unconstitutional.

So is it also okay for a few of the protesters to carry large guns in public?

I’m not really following your point. Instead of critiquing what others have written how about if you just tell us your opinion of the topic being discussed here, which is people protesting the lockdown measures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom