New habits that are likely permanent

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most lasting change will probably be my opinion of some people. In a crisis, people reveal their true character and boy did I learn a lot.

When I ask people if their habits will change, it seems like they expect other people to change their habits but not themselves.
Very interesting observations, thanks for sharing that.

When I ask people if their habits will change, it seems like they expect other people to change their habits but not themselves.

Oh wow, this is spot on.

One reason I took a break from this forum was exactly that. I'd see someone mention how we all need to pitch in, do our part, stay at home. And then on another thread they'd brag of their "score" of some not-really-necessary food item they found after visiting 10 different stores.

I have learned that people LIE a lot. I have several "friends" (in their 70s, high risk)) who tell me how they are really following the rules, not going anywhere, not seeing anyone, etc. Then later in the conversation I casually ask, what have you been doing with your time, and they tell me how they have been to a bunch of stores, out to eat, to Church, to the hair dresser, to see children/grandchildren, to a party, etc. And then if they get the virus I am sure they will tell the doctor/tracer they have been no where and seen no one. If these people lie about the rest of their lives as much as they lie about their activities during Covid, then I can't believe anything they say. And these are my "friends". I am going to treat these people differently in the future.

We haven't changed much other than wearing a M*** to Lowe's, Home Depot, or grocery store. We have always practiced good hygienic washing and cleaning. We are waiting to have our annual wine party at house because one of our neighbors just had a knee replaced, don't want to put her off or out. We still have traveled this year, and have more trips scheduled. In our county, we have 494 cases, 6 deaths, and still do not know of anyone in our social circle who has been afflicted, or knows of someone who has.

Our family/neighbors have been to Florida, the Outer Banks, Myrtle Beach, SW Colorado, NYC, Denver, Lexington, Columbus, eastern PA and southern WV. Again, everyone is healthy.

We haven't changed much other than wearing a M*** to Lowe's, Home Depot, or grocery store. We have always practiced good hygienic washing and cleaning. We are waiting to have our annual wine party at house because one of our neighbors just had a knee replaced, don't want to put her off or out. We still have traveled this year, and have more trips scheduled. In our county, we have 494 cases, 6 deaths, and still do not know of anyone in our social circle who has been afflicted, or knows of someone who has.

Our family/neighbors have been to Florida, the Outer Banks, Myrtle Beach, SW Colorado, NYC, Denver, Lexington, Columbus, eastern PA and southern WV. Again, everyone is healthy.

Winemaker, you have been very lucky that you don't know anyone that has caught the virus--I have heard you say that before. I hope your good luck continues. You are lucky to live in such a safe place. I personally know 2 people who have died from the virus, 3 people with long term effects and many others who had the virus and have "recovered" --we hope. In my small county of 150,000 people we now have 1000 cases and about 50 deaths and increasing everyday even though the county imposed many restrictions early on. I think that once the virus is over (if that ever occurs) I will be spending a lot of time going to Memorial Services for this who have died. I dread that.

Winemaker, you have been very lucky that you don't know anyone that has caught the virus--I have heard you say that before. I hope your good luck continues. You are lucky to live in such a safe place. I personally know 2 people who have died from the virus, 3 people with long term effects and many others who had the virus and have "recovered" --we hope. In my small county of 150,000 people we now have 1000 cases and about 50 deaths and increasing everyday even though the county imposed many restrictions early on. I think that once the virus is over (if that ever occurs) I will be spending a lot of time going to Memorial Services for this who have died. I dread that.

Thanks for your good thoughts, but I don't consider it to be luck, other than good genes. DW and I rarely, if ever, get sick. We don't get a flu shot, don't get colds or the sniffles, have upset stomachs or headaches for that matter. Maybe it's the wine!:D

Thanks for your good thoughts, but I don't consider it to be luck, other than good genes. DW and I rarely, if ever, get sick. We don't get a flu shot, don't get colds or the sniffles, have upset stomachs or headaches for that matter. Maybe it's the wine!:D

Winemaker--Do you mind saying what region of the country you live in? Must be a safe virus free region.

I haven't shaken hands in years since I'm immuno-compromised. I'm an avid Bridge player, and previously was a bit "famous" at the Bridge clubs I played at because I wore plastic gloves. I would joke that the only reason I don't wear a mask is because I thought it would be too much of a distraction. If we ever get back to in-person Bridge play, I will be wearing a mask. At that point, it would seem normal.

Unfortunately, we have already shipped almost all manufacturing overseas, to China, and others. Buy American sounds great, but we don't make anything anymore.

That is not true at all. We are the second biggest manufacturer (third if you lump the EU into a single group) in the world. It doesn't employ as many workers as it used to in the 90s back when lots of stuff was still being done inefficiently by hand, but that's very different from saying we've shipped almost all manufacturing overseas. Other parts of our economy have grown to be huge, so manufacturing's contribution isn't as significant a percentage as it was but it is still contributed over 6 trillion dollars to our GDP in 2019.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manufacturing_in_the_United_States

Changes I'd like to have stick is working from home as not commuting is great. :p Of course when I hit my desired level of FI that may just mean that I RE sooner than I expected.

That is not true at all. We are the second biggest manufacturer (third if you lump the EU into a single group) in the world. It doesn't employ as many workers as it used to in the 90s back when lots of stuff was still being done inefficiently by hand, but that's very different from saying we've shipped almost all manufacturing overseas. Other parts of our economy have grown to be huge, so manufacturing's contribution isn't as significant a percentage as it was but it is still contributed over 6 trillion dollars to our GDP in 2019.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manufacturing_in_the_United_States

OK. It was bit of an an exaggeration to say "almost all". The US does still manufacture high value items like airplanes, petrochemicals, etc. But, try to find consumer goods like clothing, shoes, electronics or even the dreaded m*sk, and your option for US made are few and far between. They exist, but are hard to find and primarily high end (expensive).

More new habits.
1. Daily bridge playing using bridgebase and zoom with college buddies around the country.

2. Just had a dr visit. We scheduled at time for a phone call. Naturally, the dr was 30 minutes late. I spent that time taking care of house chores.

Hope both habits continue post pandemic.

I am not sure about people saying they won't go back to the gym. I have a good set up at home and, now, while the weather is great it's easy to go outside. However, in the dead of winter I'll want to be back to my gym, seeing gym friends, and using the plethora of workout options available there. Maybe that's just me. I love saving the money as gym membership was put on hiatus by them but I'll turn it back on in the fall if they are open.

I am fine without hand shakes. Might go to fist bumps!? Hugs actually seem less problematic than handshakes.

I love my Zooms. I have a few different groups who I zoom with on a pretty regular basis. Most of them are happy hours so my drinking is up. I would like to cut that back down a bit.

I will be working from home until I retire. The Covid forced work from home has shown me I can do it. Sitting outside as I type this on a lovely day. So much better than the office!

I suspect that a lot of women (and men) that had been regularly dying their hair are going to just go gray and from now on. I've definitely seen it in my own house.

I suspect that a lot of women (and men) that had been regularly dying their hair are going to just go gray and from now on. I've definitely seen it in my own house.

Yup, DW is one of them letting it go gray.

Me, I was already gray, but now I'm working on a ponytail.

Would love it if all the "Rests" (restaurants and restrooms) are kept cleaner, and not just during the virus.

Robbie, not sure what you mean here? Are you leaving the Forum? I hope not, I like to read your perspective even if I don't always agree.

Awwww, nah, not going anywhere. Can't get the covid from internet forums. Yup, a minimum of person to person convo's and just long enough to get the message through.

Think we’ll continue cooking at home more. Which was a huge part of our pre Covid spending.

Dined outside at a restaurant for the 3rd time in the Covid era. Was fine overall, just a little warm.

Dined outside at a restaurant for the 3rd time in the Covid era. Was fine overall, just a little warm.

I have always preferred to dine outdoors when it's offered (and I'm south of you). But still, usually I'd never opt for it from June thru September.

However, it's not that bad - as long as not actually in the sun! I'm just going in shorts and ts, and not worrying if my hair gets a little frizzy, or I feel a bit clammy by the end - just change when I get home, it's not like we're stopping off at the movies after dinner.

As long as I don't get rained on (and my favorite/only-covid place has a huge overhang), it's ok by me.

I now live in Canada. This outdoor dining thing is going to be over in a couple of months...

The whole neighborhood gathers in a cul-de-sac with lawn chairs (distancing). We bring wine beer, etc. and share what is going on. We often bring up concerns we have about the area we live in. I have walked the neighborhood for years picking up bits of trash and looking for signs of things that could be a problem. I have increased that effort and become more vigilant as the I have noted traffic that doesn't live in our area (there is only one way in and out). You would be amazed what you find thrown out of cars that travel in you neighborhood. I am much more aware of who belongs here and who doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom