New habits that are likely permanent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's important that everyone who lives in the same household has similar ideas about this virus. We don't want a husband who thinks this virus is blown out of proportion and a wife who thinks they can catch the virus from a breeze coming in from the outside. DH and I watch the news together and discuss the topic enough that we're pretty much on the same page, and to venture out more, it will be a mutual decision. I felt really bad when I read about a family with a stepson who went out, partied and caught the virus (despite being asked not to do it) and his dad ending up on a ventilator...

Last edited:
I contacted my doctor at UCLA regarding my annual physical and there was something interesting in his response.

"As for as our clinic we do screen everyone for a temperature and questions regarding 5 different symptoms before one is are allowed to enter our Family Health Center. All of our staff are wear protective equipment and physical distance is practice in the clinic which means very small number in waiting areas get through the door. If we do need to send someone for a COVID diagnostic tests (not the antibodies which mean nothing since you can catch this disease more than once ), moreover, and most importantly diagnostic tests are done in UCLA lab with results available 24 hours or less.

As for you , we might want to do a video visit as that would save you a drive. If that would work for you we would order the regular blood tests etc at one of the UCLA labs near you home and then we could then schedule the tele, unless something was wrong with some of the screening test. You would need to take your blood pressure and report your weight If you have a problem that needs to be examined, or want to come in , it will take a longer wait . "

So much for long term immunity.

That is irresponsible on the doctors part..If they want a real time negative test and not an older anti-body so be it.. don't throw in that you can get it twice comment.

I contacted my doctor at UCLA regarding my annual physical and there was something interesting in his response.

"As for as our clinic we do screen everyone for a temperature and questions regarding 5 different symptoms before one is are allowed to enter our Family Health Center. All of our staff are wear protective equipment and physical distance is practice in the clinic which means very small number in waiting areas get through the door. If we do need to send someone for a COVID diagnostic tests (not the antibodies which mean nothing since you can catch this disease more than once ), moreover, and most importantly diagnostic tests are done in UCLA lab with results available 24 hours or less.

As for you , we might want to do a video visit as that would save you a drive. If that would work for you we would order the regular blood tests etc at one of the UCLA labs near you home and then we could then schedule the tele, unless something was wrong with some of the screening test. You would need to take your blood pressure and report your weight If you have a problem that needs to be examined, or want to come in , it will take a longer wait . "

So much for long term immunity.
No, it has not been established that you can catch this disease more than once. Many experts are extremely skeptical about any reported reinfections.

Listening to Dr. Hook while on the elliptical.......this struck a proverbial chord:

"At the age of thirty seven
She realized she'd never ride
Through Paris in a sports car
With the warm wind in her hair........

......And there were oh so many ways
For her to spend her days
She could clean the house for hours
Or rearrange the flowers...."

It will be still a bit cold, no? I was in Vancouver at the beginning of November and I cannot imagine outdoor dining would be that comfortable, but maybe you have super good heaters there. (I am near Toronto, so winter outdoor dining is out for sure.)
Usually a rare sunny day with no wind. Flexiglass surrounds the areas and good strong overhead electric heaters. DW likes being outside so Covid is not that big a pain.

DH and I feel similar as some others here:

Avoid physical contact, No shaking hands with anyone. No hugging (might need to make some exceptions like DFIL likes to hug).

So used to many habits that we will likely continue to do subconsciously: social distancing, touching as few things as possible, washing/sanitizing hands often.

Wearing masks during flu season or in crowded situations as we think people would be more used to it here like in many Asian countries.

We already shop a lot online and even more nowadays so likely will continue to do most shopping online. No more going to retails.

No more going to the gym. We only went once a week to do weights anyway. We like doing outdoor exercises like hiking, playing pickleball/tennis. We have some free weights and just do weight training at home instead.

Things we hope to return to the good old days soon:
Traveling
Eating out
Socializing and entertaining (happy hour, lunch, dinner, game night)
Exercising in groups (pickleball drop in, hiking group)
Going to the grocery store to pick out fresh vegetable, fruit, etc (doing curbside pickup now)

DH and I feel similar as some others here:

Avoid physical contact, No shaking hands with anyone. No hugging (might need to make some exceptions like DFIL likes to hug).

So used to many habits that we will likely continue to do subconsciously: social distancing, touching as few things as possible, washing/sanitizing hands often.

Wearing masks during flu season or in crowded situations as we think people would be more used to it here like in many Asian countries.

We already shop a lot online and even more nowadays so likely will continue to do most shopping online. No more going to retails.

No more going to the gym. We only went once a week to do weights anyway. We like doing outdoor exercises like hiking, playing pickleball/tennis. We have some free weights and just do weight training at home instead.

Things we hope to return to the good old days soon:
Traveling
Eating out
Socializing and entertaining (happy hour, lunch, dinner, game night)
Exercising in groups (pickleball drop in, hiking group)
Going to the grocery store to pick out fresh vegetable, fruit, etc (doing curbside pickup now)

So do you only play Pickleball singles now, or still play doubles?
I play doubles with a maximum of 6 players in the setting outdoors only.

Usually a rare sunny day with no wind. Flexiglass surrounds the areas and good strong overhead electric heaters. DW likes being outside so Covid is not that big a pain.
I came away from Scandinavia with a whole new understanding of the possibilities for outdoor dining. The temps and conditions that people tolerated in Copenhagen, Stockholm and Helsinki were very impressive.

I came away from Scandinavia with a whole new understanding of the possibilities for outdoor dining. The temps and conditions that people tolerated in Copenhagen, Stockholm and Helsinki were very impressive.

I think we are all going to learn of the possibilities this year. Here in the South, it is a given. Not sure about Duluth or Winnipeg, although it sounds like they give it a go in similar conditions in N. Europe. To be fair, though, far inland (Winnipeg) it gets much colder.

What companies make those big outdoor heaters? Might be a good stock opportunity.

Last edited:
I think we are all going to learn of the possibilities this year. Here in the South, it is a given. Not sure about Duluth or Winnipeg, although it sounds like they give it a go in similar conditions in N. Europe. To be fair, though, far inland (Winnipeg) it gets much colder.

What companies make those big outdoor heaters? Might be a good stock opportunity.

Joe, I think here in NC eating outside in the cooler weather will be much better than the dead of summer with mosquitos, humidity and thunderstorms

So do you only play Pickleball singles now, or still play doubles?
I play doubles with a maximum of 6 players in the setting outdoors only.

DH and I only play singles by ourselves outdoor. We are pretty competitive, no mercy to each other on the pickleball court :LOL:

DH and I only play singles by ourselves outdoor. We are pretty competitive, no mercy to each other on the pickleball court [emoji23]

Hey good for you! It's great both you and DH enjoy playing together.

Last edited:

I hadn't thought of that- I used to work for a company based in Zurich and during the winter there were restaurants with people dining in but also tables outside with portable heaters. It wasn't my thing- I don't like cold- but MAYBE I could adjust.

Pre-COVID, I would spend a chunk of $ every few weeks for a massage. Now, DH and I take turns with back massager each night. I have a playlist, heavy with Enya songs, we listen to during massages. We fall asleep pretty easily and quickly afterwards while tunes play out.

Massages by stranger with drive to and from the business and $ spent has lost all future appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom