Not open for further replies.

cbo111

Full time employment: Posting here.
Psych!

Attachments

• 5EE81EA0-381B-4D42-8F0B-CD6E37C2C47A.jpeg
    5EE81EA0-381B-4D42-8F0B-CD6E37C2C47A.jpeg
    20.7 KB · Views: 120
New report says wearing a mask is not only altruistic, but can also help protect you. Doesn't make sense -- some protection, though not 100% is better than no protection.

A new report from a hair salon in Springfield, Missouri, shows wearing a face mask isn't just altruistic – it also helps keep the person wearing it from getting COVID-19.And some infectious disease experts increasingly think wearing a mask could mean that even if a person is infected, they are more likely to get a milder or even asymptomatic form of the disease.

“Wearing a mask may protect the mask wearer more than we realize," he said. "This paper provides a new explanation for lower rates of death in areas where mask wearing is common, as well as an even stronger rationale for all of us to wear masks when around others."
The rationale is based on the medical concept of "viral inoculum," or how much virus someone is exposed to. The evidence about viral, bacterial or fungal exposure affecting how sick someone gets goes back to the 1930s.
“We know this for gastrointestinal viruses, sexually transmitted diseases and respiratory infections. The bigger the load the more you get in your system, the more severe the disease,” said Dr. Monica Gandhi, a professor of medicine and infectious disease expert at the University of California, San Francisco and co-author on the paper.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-against-catching-severe-covid-19/5431323002/

Last edited:
I always thought Doctors wore masks so it would be hard to identify them, in case of a mistake during the operation :LOL:

Mask as a camouflage doesn't work.

Wearing my mask around to grocery shop, leaving and entering thinking I'd be incognito, I'd have neighbors greeting me by name saying hello.

Oh well, so much for disguises ... :popcorn:

If you really want to talk about it seriously.......

bmcgonig posted on another thread that gave a link to the video where Dr. Monica Gandhi gave a good overview of the mask benefits. 30 mins into the Youtube link in the quote below.
I found it extremely informative.

https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...lly-scary-in-texas-104406-60.html#post2459964

Here is a very interesting video from UCSF discussion about the virus where an epidemiologist makes the case that masks can also protect the wearer. The whole video is interesting, but the part I'm referring to starts at about the 30min marker and runs 10min approx. The guy that runs this discussion every week is the chair of the UCSF dept of medicine.

Fundamentally her thesis is that mask wearing will lessen the viral load in your immediate vicinity, probably lead to a much lighter or asymptomatic infection, and probably confer immunity.

Nothing in the video is political in any way.

https://youtu.be/Cio3rh6ta3w

Last edited:
I always thought Doctors wore masks so it would be hard to identify them, in case of a mistake during the operation :LOL:

With all the PPE doctors and nurses are wearing that makes them look like space doctors, most wear a photograph on their gowns so the patients can see what they actually look like and recognize individuals.

Here is a YouTube video of an at home experiment in the effectiveness of a mask. I know the particle size of the virus is very small, but it is usually contained in larger droplets. Also, if one is exposed, the smaller dose of virus is also important in preventing infection. But there is a certain fun in how he did this, so it's quite enjoyable to watch.

It might start with an ad.

Last edited:
Here is a YouTube video of an at home experiment in the effectiveness of a mask. I know the particle size of the virus is very small, but it is usually contained in larger droplets. Also, if one is exposed, the smaller dose of virus is also important in preventing infection. But there is a certain fun in how he did this, so it's quite enjoyable to watch.

It might start with an ad.

That was one of the better visuals of the protection offered by the mask. I subtracted 1 point at the beginning and at the end because he wasted beer :LOL:

I got side-tracked as I was focusing on the demonstrator not wearing goggles as he was playing with fire :popcorn:.

I really do not understand why anyone needs some study or expert to say a mask might help the wearer? It is obvious that there is at least some personal protection. Even the N95 masks do not provide 100% protection. :facepalm:

I do like the video. It is a very effective video on how it helps others.

Good video. Here is part of an NPR article that includes a section on Yakima WA using masks to save itself.

"Meanwhile, local health officials, working with the hospital, businesses and community groups, launched a massive face mask awareness campaign. A survey from Memorial Day weekend showed only 35% of people in Yakima were wearing face masks.

"Having that data point actually was really helpful," said Lilian Bravo with the Yakima Health District. Bravo said they blanketed the community with free masks and shifted their messaging to focus on the goal of improving that number so Yakima could reopen.

"That was a key turning point," Bravo said. "Having that tangible goal ended up being very, very effective."

A month later, the same survey showed 95% of people were wearing face masks, and the results became even more clear as hospitalizations and cases continue to fall.

"Masking is what has changed," Davenport said. "For us to go from 200 cases a day to 100 cases a day in six weeks is incredible
."
https://www.npr.org/2020/07/29/8951...id-19-is-filling-up-hospitals-in-small-cities

Great video, really funny how he set it up.

At least all the pyro's will love the video :LOL:

I see that Planet Fitness is now trying to have it both ways. They require a mask to come through the door, but you can take it off to exercise :facepalm: "We care about you," but also "We don't want to P off the anti-mask brigade. Our staff would rather harass you about leaving your gym bag on the floor."

some researchers from Duke University published a new mask effectiveness study (CNN has reported on it). Here is the link to the study https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/08/us/duke-university-face-mask-test-trnd/index.html

The study showed that bandanas and neck fleece coverings were the almost the equivalent of not wearing no face covering. and that the fleece material actually was worse than wearing nothing.
From the CNN article: " Neck fleeces, also called gaiter masks and often used by runners, were the least effective. In fact, wearing a fleece mask resulted in a higher number of respiratory droplets because the material seemed to break down larger droplets into smaller particles that are more easily carried away with air.
Folded bandanas and knitted masks also performed poorly and did not offer much protection.
"We were extremely surprised to find that the number of particles measured with the fleece actually exceeded the number of particles measured without wearing any mask," Fischer said. "We want to emphasize that we really encourage people to wear masks, but we want them to wear masks that actually work."

Attachments

• mask duke study.jpg
    mask duke study.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 49
Pretty cool!

I'm encouraged that my 2 layer cotton/poly (Tshirt material) masks that I read before as being effective tested so again.

Love that video. Sent to all my relatives and nay sayers. I have one DB who absolutely does not believe masks work!!! Ha! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom