New Study on Vitamin D and COVID

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAE

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This is a bit long, but I thought it would be of interest to some. A new study appears to indicate a strong relationship with Vitamin D status and risk of becoming seriously ill with COVID-19. Chris Masterjohn, who has a phD in nutritional science and has studied COVID extensively, sent out this email update today. The link to the actual study is in his update, if you want to read all the details:

The first randomized controlled trial (RCT) of vitamin D in COVID-19 has just been published. The results are astounding: vitamin D nearly abolished the odds of requiring treatment in ICU. Although the number of deaths was too small to say for sure, vitamin D may actually abolish the risk of death from COVID-19.

[Mod edit] Please don't post entire articles. A brief summary with a link is enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't like where your link points so I did my own research to find the study and I found:

"Effect of Calcifediol Treatment and best Available Therapy versus best Available Therapy on Intensive Care Unit Admission and Mortality Among Patients Hospitalized for COVID-19: A Pilot Randomized Clinical study"

It's somewhat poorly written, maybe due to a translation issue. I think I'll read it a bit more. "use calcifediol as substrate synthesize 1.25 (OH)2D3 or calcitriol" may or may not be important for people considering taking supplements.

This needs a popular media article to put it in layman's terms, if it's worthy of that, and I haven't found anything in a publication I trust yet.

Other key quotes are:

"our pilot study suggests that administration of a high dose of calcifediol or 25-hydroxyvitamin D3, a main metabolite of vitamin D endocrine system, significantly reduced the need for ICU treatment of patients requiring hospitalization due to proven COVID-19."

And, it seems to work "both in the later hyperinflammatory and early viraemic phases of COVID-19" whatever that means.

So, wait until you're diagnosed? IDK. Making sure you're not vitamin D deficient seems good though.

Last edited:
We've had many posts on COVID and vitamin D starting back in March. It has been well established for many years, on Pubmed at least, that vitamin D deficiency is linked to acute respiratory syndrome and the severity of the ARS symptoms.

Had my annual physical yesterday. The doc told me to add “taking a Vitamin D3 supplement” to my morning regimen.

We've had many posts on COVID and vitamin D starting back in March. It has been well established for many years, on Pubmed at least, that vitamin D deficiency is linked to acute respiratory syndrome and the severity of the ARS symptoms.

Right, and I have been personally convinced for a while now that maintaining an adequate blood level of Vitamin D is important for a lot of reasons, including fighting viral infections like COVID-19. The main thing "new" about this recent study is that it is a randomized control study, and not simply an observational study, like most of the previous ones. That's why Dr. Chris Masterjohn and others are pretty excited about it, as it gives more solid evidence of a causal relationship between Vit. D level and COVID-19 severity.

Right, and I have been personally convinced for a while now that maintaining an adequate blood level of Vitamin D is important for a lot of reasons, including fighting viral infections like COVID-19. The main thing "new" about this recent study is that it is a randomized control study, and not simply an observational study, like most of the previous ones. That's why Dr. Chris Masterjohn and others are pretty excited about it, as it gives more solid evidence of a causal relationship between Vit. D level and COVID-19 severity.

I'm glad you posted the study, just find it so odd that recommending people watch their vitamin D levels has been given so little press, even now, considering it is inexpensive (free if you use sunshine), can't hurt and might save a lot of lives kinds of solution. The only side effects of adequate vitamin D intake are all beneficial, like boosting immunity and not getting osteoporosis.

Last edited:
This isn't a surprising study as Vitamin D is essential to good/great health. I've boosted my sunshine levels over the last few years and added a supplement during winter.

FWIW I've been on a D3 supplement for several years. However make sure you are monitored as your level can get too high resulting in other complications. My PCP recently dropped my daily dosage from 5000 iu to 4000 iu since my test came back at 70 in the 30-100 acceptable range.

I've been taking a D3 supplement for several years also. My bloodwork showed a vitamin D deficiency and my dr recommended a supplement.

While I have no trouble in believing that Vitamin D deficiency could increase people's susceptibility to almost any disease, this is very different from saying that giving otherwise healthy people extra Vitamin D will plausibly improve their outcomes. My car doesn't like it when its tires have only half the recommended pressure, but once they're correctly inflated, adding more air doesn't do a whole lot.

I guess it's possible that the people who are becoming sick enough to be in the hospital are those with inadequate Vitamin D, but that doesn't then mean that Vitamin D is a general cure for COVID, any more than correctly inflating your tires is a general cure for road accidents.

Also, someone with a PhD (even one in nutritional science, a field whose research often makes me think of the phrase "dumpster fire") ought to know that you can't draw very many conclusions about the incremental effect of one Tx in a multi-Tx situation from a sample of 76 people. He appears to be affiliated with a "Health and Wellness Coaching Institute", which does not sound to me like a place that employs a lot of MDs or epidemiologists.

While I have no trouble in believing that Vitamin D deficiency could increase people's susceptibility to almost any disease, this is very different from saying that giving otherwise healthy people extra Vitamin D will plausibly improve their outcomes.
Unless fighting off a virus deplets your store of Vitamin D.
I started taking Vitamin D a little over two months ago. I also take my shirt off for 20 to 40 minutes during my morning walk.
I just saw a friend of ours yesterday, he got covid, spent a couple weeks in the hospital, lost 23 lbs. They wanted to put him on a resperator, his wife kept saying no. (not sure if she wanted to keep him alive or wanted him dead!) :)
He's been off work for two months and can't go back until he gets a negative test.
He's thrilled, government worker and getting full pay while off. He said he's getting a lot of work done around the house.

The daily Florida sunshine provides enough Vitamin D for me as tested in my latest physical.
One advantage of having 6 month summers. lol

I just checked and I've been routinely checked for (25)OH vitamin D in my blood work over the past 5 years. All results are 27-30 ng/ml. In the context of this study I guess that means I shouldn't change anything? Since the blood work also states that levels above 50 ng/ml can cause complications I assume I should avoid supplements despite the positive results in this study.

Last edited:
I just checked and I've been routinely checked for (25)OH vitamin D in my blood work over the past 5 years. All results are 27-30 ng/ml. In the context of this study I guess that means I shouldn't change anything? Since the blood work also states that levels above 50 mg/ml can cause complications I assume I should avoid supplements despite the positive results in this study.

I'm not aware of any studies that identified any complications that resulted from Vit. D blood levels over 50 ng/ml. I have heard some people say things like that, but I have no idea what they are basing it on. If anyone comes across any evidence for that, please send it my way. I can believe that extremely high blood levels of Vit. D (maybe over 100 or so?) could be problematic, but it's hard for me to believe that a level of 50 or so could be a problem.

I guess it's possible that the people who are becoming sick enough to be in the hospital are those with inadequate Vitamin D, but that doesn't then mean that Vitamin D is a general cure for COVID, any more than correctly inflating your tires is a general cure for road accidents.

Agreed. However, the study referenced found that the people they checked for Vit. D blood levels had an average level of just 16 ng/ml, which almost everyone agrees indicates a deficiency. And this was in Spain, a country that gets plenty of sunshine. Plenty of Americans and Europeans have Vit. D levels that are considered insufficient also. So, it makes sense to me that people this deficient should consider taking a Vit. D supplement for many health reasons, including potentially offering some protection against a severe case of COVID-19.

I just checked and I've been routinely checked for (25)OH vitamin D in my blood work over the past 5 years. All results are 27-30 ng/ml. In the context of this study I guess that means I shouldn't change anything? Since the blood work also states that levels above 50 mg/ml can cause complications I assume I should avoid supplements despite the positive results in this study.

I'm not aware of any studies that identified any complications that resulted from Vit. D blood levels over 50 ng/ml. I have heard some people say things like that, but I have no idea what they are basing it on. If anyone comes across any evidence for that, please send it my way. I can believe that extremely high blood levels of Vit. D (maybe over 100 or so?) could be problematic, but it's hard for me to believe that a level of 50 or so could be a problem.
My understanding is that Vitamin D levels over 90 or 100 ng/ml could be problematic, but below 40 is too low, and 25 very low. My doctor targets 60-70.

Discussion of reference ranges from various medical organizations: https://www.zrtlab.com/blog/archive/vitamin-d-reference-ranges-optimal/

Unfortunately in that paper they didn’t have information about blood levels of vitamin D before treatment.
Serum 25OHD concentrations at baseline or during treatment are not available. Overall, adults living in the Córdoba area are relatively vitamin D deficient (16 ng/ml on average) in late winter and early spring. Patients with severe ARDS or requiring ICU are frequently severely vitamin D deficient. In addition, low serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25[OH]D) levels in patients hospitalized with COVID-19 are associated with greater disease severity.

Last edited:
As one who spent most of his life in absence of sunshine, I have been taking Vitamin D daily for at least 15 years, per primary care physician's direction. I have not stopped even I've been above ground for almost 6 years.

daylatedollarshort said:
I'm glad you posted the study, just find it so odd that recommending people watch their vitamin D levels has been given so little press, even now, considering it is inexpensive (free if you use sunshine), can't hurt and might save a lot of lives kinds of solution. The only side effects of adequate vitamin D intake are all beneficial, like boosting immunity and not getting osteoporosis.

You hit the nail on the head. It's inexpensive and free with the sunshine. No wonder the media doesn't mention it much. Who is going to pay to advertise 'Free Vitamin D'.

My understanding is that Vitamin D levels over 90 or 100 ng/ml could be problematic, but below 40 is too low, and 25 very low. My doctor targets 60-70.

Discussion of reference ranges from various medical organizations: https://www.zrtlab.com/blog/archive/vitamin-d-reference-ranges-optimal/

Unfortunately in that paper they didn’t have information about blood levels of vitamin D before treatment.

Thanks, Audrey. That is basically my understanding as well, from the reading I have done. My current level is around 65 or so, which is about where I plan to keep it.

You're correct, they did not have info. about Vit. D blood levels of the patients in the study before treatment. However, they mention that the average level in people in that part of Spain is 16 ng/ml, which is very low. So, just living in a sunny climate does not insure that you will have adequate blood levels of Vit. D. Most of us (regardless where we live) spend most of our time indoors these days, so we're really not getting much Vit. D from the sun. And, as you age, your ability to absorb Vit. D from the sun decreases also. You may think you are getting plenty of Vit. D based on your outdoor lifestyle, but without having the blood test done, you really won't know for sure where you stand.

Agreed. However, the study referenced found that the people they checked for Vit. D blood levels had an average level of just 16 ng/ml, which almost everyone agrees indicates a deficiency. And this was in Spain, a country that gets plenty of sunshine. Plenty of Americans and Europeans have Vit. D levels that are considered insufficient also. So, it makes sense to me that people this deficient should consider taking a Vit. D supplement for many health reasons, including potentially offering some protection against a severe case of COVID-19.

Yes, I think this is reasonable. But it suggests that for people who get severe COVID-19 despite having adequate Vitamin D, more Vit D may not help. (I would be interested to see the Vit D numbers from a larger sample of sick patients. If 80% of people who get hospitalised worldwide have a very low level, then we would have a cheap and universal prophylactic!)

I have been taking vitamin D supplements for years. My level was 27 and is now about 35-40. I also have been taking 10,000 mcg of biotin daily to keep my hair thick and healthy. These are both inexpensive supplements that have many benefits.

This isn't a surprising study as Vitamin D is essential to good/great health. I've boosted my sunshine levels over the last few years and added a supplement during winter.
Nice that you can do boost your sunshine levels but not everyone can. I live in Florida and have plenty of sunshine all year. Unfortunately I had way too much years ago for my physiology and have been fighting skin cancer for a few decades now. Lots (lost count a long time ago) of painful treatments, surgeries, and a couple of close calls. I don't go out without being covered and wearing a hat. So supplements for me.

Cheers!

I don't think everybody can get to adequate Vitamin D levels by more sun exposure. It's not like we humans run around outside naked for most of the day anymore.

I thought reference 19 that higher Vitamin D levels correlated with lower infection rates was very interesting.

25-Hydroxyvitamin D Concentrations Are Lower in Patients with Positive PCR for SARS-CoV-2
..... Many authors have suggested the involvement of vitamin D in reducing the risk of infections; thus, we retrospectively investigated the 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25(OH)D) concentrations in plasma obtained from a cohort of patients from Switzerland. In this cohort, significantly lower 25(OH)D levels (p = 0.004) were found in PCR-positive for SARS-CoV-2 (median value 11.1 ng/mL) patients compared with negative patients (24.6 ng/mL); this was also confirmed by stratifying patients according to age >70 years. On the basis of this preliminary observation, vitamin D supplementation might be a useful measure to reduce the risk of infection. Randomized controlled trials and large population studies should be conducted to evaluate these recommendations and to confirm our preliminary observation.
https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/12/5/1359

Last edited:
Our ability to absorb vit. D through sunshine is reduced as we age, according to my doctor. And post menopause it's pretty low. (I tested low and questioned it since I am outside for more than an hour every day with exposed arms, face and legs. ) On the other hand - when the study came out saying breast fed babies might have vit. d deficiencies (formula has vit d added). I asked the pediatrician... she laughed and said that was only an issue for babies born in cold climates in the winter.... she'd NEVER seen it as an issue in San Diego. She said babies have no problem getting vit D from sunshine *if* they go outside without being completely bundled.

I take my supplements since I'm menopausal.

This thread is a much-needed reminder that I need to go ahead and order some supplemental D3. I'm one of those types that doesn't get nearly enough sunshine (I burn pretty easily and want to avoid the inevitable skin damage that comes from UV exposure), so it wouldn't surprise me at all if my serum D3 levels were on the very low end. Thinking I'll take 5,000 IU every other day, along with 100µg of K2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom