Poll:Would you get vaccinated?

Will you get a Covid vaccine?

• I'll be first in line!

Votes: 57 26.9%
  • Think I'll wait a few to see if there's any issues.

Votes: 141 66.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • No. I don't get any vaccines.

Votes: 4 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be interesting to see how much the vaccine costs and if insurance and Medicare will pay for it.

I'll most likely get the vaccine to make wife happy. That's the only reason I've gotten flu and other vaccines, don't see this as much different. Was asking her this question last night and she said she would avoid getting it at first, afraid of vaccines rushed to market.....so I may not get it for awhile.

It will be interesting to see how much the vaccine costs and if insurance and Medicare will pay for it.

I can't imagine that they would refuse to cover it. I would think they would treat it like the flu shots - where the preventive action is covered in full under insurance/Medicare. This would be far better than potentially having to pay for days/weeks of care in an ICU with their insured on a ventilator.

I don't believe that it is a government mandate for us, but a condition of employment for the healthcare provider we work for. Other providers in the area have the same requirement, there may be healthcare providers that do not.

Understood. I tried to find out if any of the many private healthcare providers here require flu vaccines as a condition of employment but it appears not. There is concern that requiring staff to be vaccinated – for example, through their contracts, would contravene European human rights legislation.

A lot depends for me on what exactly is being "rushed" - if it's removal of red tape bureaucracy stuff, great! If it's "we normally do human trials overlapping for 6 months with 10000 people and now it's 3 months with 300 people then, yeah... The normally cited best-cases of 18 months for vaccines include a lot of red tape time.

So, before dismissing fast-tracking as inherently a bad thing, it really depends which parts are being sped up. If it's the science, that's not great, but if it's the paperwork and gating stuff, then that's fine with me.

Definitely will get it, but I am sure general public will be much later.
Healthcare workers and first responders will most likely be first in line.

Here in NY talking to employees at 2 hospitals and 2 nursing homes it's either get a flu shot, or wear a mask through flu season. Written into Union contracts.

Here in NY talking to employees at 2 hospitals and 2 nursing homes it's either get a flu shot, or wear a mask through flu season. Written into Union contracts.

The mandatory wearing of PPE is definitely a condition of contract in many industries here including healthcare. No legal issues there for sure, it is the requirement of employees injecting substances into the body that can hit legal barriers I think.

I'm not going to knock HC workers & vulnerable folks down, but I'll get it quickly when readily available. No reason not to & every reason to not be a transmitter to others. Then there's my belief in science.

Last edited:
I've gotten a flu shot every year, if it has saved me from getting the flu it was worth it. It's been years since I had the flu and as I recall I would have paid almost anything to have avoided it. If a vax is available I'll be in line.

As Vinny Barberino said "Gimme Drugs, Gimme Drugs".

We will definitely wait and see. Never had the flu shots. I did get the pneumonia one. I won’t take anything that has to be repeated yearly with varying results.

I foresee a lot of profit to be made on the makers of the vaccine(s). The first out of the gate will have a path paved in gold. Call me sarcastic. The market jumped May 18th just with the mention of a vaccine by a particular company. I wonder how effective the vaccine really may be in a case driven by profit and first to be out the door? If I get the vaccine and still get the virus what may be the legal implications?

I can't imagine that they would refuse to cover it. I would think they would treat it like the flu shots - where the preventive action is covered in full under insurance/Medicare. This would be far better than potentially having to pay for days/weeks of care in an ICU with their insured on a ventilator.

Medicare and most insurance companies do pay for the flu, tetanus and pneumonia shots, BUT the new shingrix shots are not covered by Medicare. Some Medicare part D policies cover some for Shingrix--I still had to pay $180 out of pocket for the new Shingrix shots. I would hope Medicare would pay for any covid vaccine but they may treat it like Shingrix and not pay because it is too expensive which would be a big mistake in my opinion.

So the better question is, would you get the vaccine as part of the trials?

Or to make it more interesting, would you get the vaccine and then do a challenge trial, which is where they test the vaccine by purposely infecting the subjects with the virus to see if the vaccine works?

In the name of science?

Because I want to RE and travel, and because I have high risk characteristics, I'd take the vaccine as soon as it's available, if I haven't tested positive for antibodies. My wife and I had 3+ week viral infections with many symptoms that are both similar to COVID and the flu, so I'd like to have a test first to confirm.

I presently take the Flu and Pneumococcal vaccines without issue. However, after this latest fiasco I have much less trust in anything coming forward in the near future. I think the "Public Trust" based upon our recent actions will make things much worse going forward. We already have much skepticism about vaccines and I think it will be even worse now.

I would wait until it is given not only in the US but elsewhere before I trust it. Kinda Sad.

I've spent the last 28 years in the Army. A few more random shots or pills does not bother me.

I will say no to a smallpox booster though. That first one was not fun.

I would definitely volunteer for a clinical trial in a real clinical study. Outside of that I will go by what my doctor recommends. I have had both shingles vaccine, pneumonia vaccine and typhoid for when I went to China.

I've spent the last 28 years in the Army. A few more random shots or pills does not bother me.

I will say no to a smallpox booster though. That first one was not fun.

I hear you my friend. When I joined the Navy back in 1977, we were vaccinated for everything under the sun. Had the disease already? Vaccinated already? Didn't matter. Line up and get your shot. As I recall, the smallpox did suck. It made my arm ooze and we weren't allowed to shower for three days. Since it was July, we were smelling pretty ripe. I even took chloroquine at one point, since we were going to a place where malaria was endemic.

I would be in the 2nd wave.

As for vaccines being mandatory... Flu shots aren't but a lot of vaccines are mandatory for students (primary/secondary/college). You have to show you've been vaccinated to enroll, and show proof of boosters. My older son had to show he'd been given all vaccines to enroll at the California state school. The only way around it is to get a doctor's note saying medically you shouldn't... and they've been cracking down on doctors who write a disproportionate number of these no-vax notes. One doctor who's at risk of her losing her license has kids at the same schools as my sons.. so I've met her. (She wrote more than 50% of the no-vax excuse notes for our VERY large district.) So, yeah, vaccines can be mandatory for kids and young adults.

Flu shots and other vaccines are mandatory for many health care workers.

As for vaccines being mandatory... .
.. So, yeah, vaccines can be mandatory for kids and young adults.

"I'm sorry, we need to scan your chip to prove you've been vaccinated or we can't let you in the store".

"I'm sorry, we need to scan your chip to prove you've been vaccinated or we can't let you in the store".

"Resistance Is Futile"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom