Post Vaccination Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a difference a day makes, our son is now in hospital after his oxygen levels plummeted, he continues to vomit and is now having some breathing problems.

He said he had a terrible night and will be seeing the doctor again later this morning. No visitors allowed of course, vaccinated or not.

I don’t want to hijack this thread so I’ll only mention any major changes.

Oh Alan!! My heart, thoughts, and most sincere best wishes for your son's recovery. Thank goodness he is in the hospital right now, where they can watch over him and give him the best care. :(

So sorry Alan --what is your son's first name? I will add him to our prayers. This virus is sneaky and awful. Don't worry about hijacking the thread--please continue to tell us how he is doing here or start your own thread.

So sorry Alan --what is your son's first name? I will add him to our prayers. This virus is sneaky and awful. Don't worry about hijacking the thread--please continue to tell us how he is doing here or start your own thread.

Thanks harllee. His name is Jeffrey.

The doctor confirmed that he has Covid infiltration of the lungs.

What a difference a day makes, our son is now in hospital after his oxygen levels plummeted, he continues to vomit and is now having some breathing problems.

He said he had a terrible night and will be seeing the doctor again later this morning. No visitors allowed of course, vaccinated or not.

I don’t want to hijack this thread so I’ll only mention any major changes.

Oh Alan! I am so sorry to hear this - thinking of your son and you all during this time and hoping things turn around for the positive very soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't figure out how one would stay 6 feet from others on an airplane.
And I just read that Delta is now booking middle seats again.

So just got my first shot this morning and I'm thinking about booking something.

By mid May I should be done, second shot of Pfizer plus 2 weeks.

I would normally wait but there are reports of rental cars in Hawaii costing over $600 a day.

Or flights to Europe going up in price.

Probably won't book Europe until later, like closer to June. But by then, it could be too late as far as getting some good fares now.

After this whole pandemic fiasco, we’re going to use the unspent travel budget from 2020 to fly first class the next few years and not be stuck in like sardines. Life is just too short and I’ve had it.

And we’ll probably wear masks at the airport and in airplanes and really any public transportation for quite a while. Gosh amazing how many people haven’t gotten colds or flu, we haven’t.

I always turned the overhead air spigot on in the airplane.

Last edited:
After this whole pandemic fiasco, we’re going to use the unspent travel budget from 2020 to fly first class the next few years and not be stuck in like sardines. Life is just too short and I’ve had it.

And we’ll probably wear masks at the airport and in airplanes and really any public transportation for quite a while. Gosh amazing how many people haven’t gotten colds or flu, we haven’t.

DW and I going to Florida next month, doing exactly what you described. And that includes renting a car from the airport terminal, even though it's costlier, to stay out of a shuttle (or Uber to get to a storefront Hertz).

There's also battery powered HEPA filters that you can point at your face while in close quarters. I heard about them on an "all things travel in Covid times" video. I posted about it earlier:

Like it or not, those of us that like to travel are going to have to deal with a few more things in the pandemic and post-pandemic world. I, for one, don't plan on being deterred, but I imagine for some, travel has now become "too much trouble".

I came across a video that I'd say is loaded with good, current information about travel. Rules for getting back in the US after being abroad...what if the Covid test isn't US approved? Do HEPA filters filter the virus (.1 micron), when they say .3 microns in their specs? When, during airline travel, should you wear your less comfortable, but more effective mask? (hint: not while the aircraft is aloft). The video producers are primarily medical people, so this isn't a fluff piece or designed to get clicks. Of course I'm not associated, yadda, yadda, but just think members of this board that travel will find this useful and interesting. It's 1/2 hour, but you probably won't find it boring.

Preliminary data but 246 "fully vaccinated" people in MI contracted covid. There were 3 fatalities, all over 65 and 2 of them within 3 weeks of both doses.

The data is incomplete. They're doing investigations including genomic sequencing to determine the type of variant involved.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...vid-19-contract-virus-coronavirus/7101678002/

Still to keep it in perspective, MI has fully vaccinated 1.8 million.

Preliminary data but 246 "fully vaccinated" people in MI contracted covid. There were 3 fatalities, all over 65 and 2 of them within 3 weeks of both doses.

The data is incomplete. They're doing investigations including genomic sequencing to determine the type of variant involved.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...vid-19-contract-virus-coronavirus/7101678002/

So 99.99% of the vaccinated people did not contract COVID. Good to know. Now I can go back to worrying about wild hyena attacks.

Last edited:
No vaccine is ever 100% effective. I am impressed that the Covid vaccines are 85-95% effective. I wish the flu vaccines were more effective--some years the flu vaccine is only 50% effective.

Which is why I don't get the flu vaccine. Got this one because many countries are requiring it to enter & 2 cruise corporations (NCL & RCCL)

Which is why I don't get the flu vaccine. Got this one because many countries are requiring it to enter & 2 cruise corporations (NCL & RCCL)
The efficacy of each year's particular Flu vaccine is not known until millions are vaccinated, and the Flu rolls through the general population in the Flu season.

If somehow I knew in advance that the shot for the coming Flu season would be only 50% effective, I would still get it. 50% efficacy is better than 0 percent. Medicare Part B covers the yearly flu vaccine at 100% cost. It's a vaccination freebie. It takes me about 15 - 20 minutes at a pharmacy during a weekday morning. No crowd, I'm the only one there at that time getting a shot of any type. The only easier way would be for the pharmacist to come over and jab me in the night while I'm sleeping. But I'd have to leave the door unlocked, and I'd worry about the silverware... :D

Got my second Moderna two days ago. I didn't have a terrible reaction, but yesterday I was definitely "off". Not quite to the status of a bad hangover, but fuzzy, achy, and tired. I took some great naps. Feeling fine this morning.
I have never been comfortable in crowds, or with "close talkers",. I will likely continue my COVID safe distancing practices, and wear my mask in stores. I don't find it a bother at all. Of course, I practiced dentistry for 40 years, so wearing a mask doesn't feel all that unnatural.

I am winding down my snowbird winter in Florida. I flew down here in late October, and there was plenty of distancing on a sparsely occupied plane. From what I'm hearing, I may well decide to drive home over several days. Not ready to fly in a jam packed tube. Vaccinated or not.

Got my second Moderna two days ago. I didn't have a terrible reaction, but yesterday I was definitely "off". Not quite to the status of a bad hangover, but fuzzy, achy, and tired. I took some great naps. Feeling fine this morning.
I have never been comfortable in crowds, or with "close talkers",. I will likely continue my COVID safe distancing practices, and wear my mask in stores. I don't find it a bother at all. Of course, I practiced dentistry for 40 years, so wearing a mask doesn't feel all that unnatural.

I am winding down my snowbird winter in Florida. I flew down here in late October, and there was plenty of distancing on a sparsely occupied plane. From what I'm hearing, I may well decide to drive home over several days. Not ready to fly in a jam packed tube. Vaccinated or not.

My wife and I had our second Moderna vaccine almost a month ago and we continue to distance, wear masks, and wash/sanitize our hands regularly. The only places we go inside are grocery stores and medical offices. Like so many others we had to cancel a few overseas vacations and are anxious to resume that before we get to old to travel. The vacations we take are usually with small groups or by ourselves so that is not as much a concern as being cooped up in a crowded airplane for 10-12 hours and walking in airports. With all the money we have not used for travel the past 1.5 years we may eventually start flying business class for overseas flights in the future.

Cheers!

We just had our second Pfizer and this time it hit us with fever aches and lack of energy. I had to cancel my tri-weekly walk. Going again tomorrow.

We feel of sense of relief akin to when we paid off our mortgage! We will continue to mask and distance but not with other vaccinated people. We just rebooked our Duoro River cruise for next year and will spend over a month in various destinations while over there.

We sense that we are at the beginning of the end.

We have eaten outside at restaurants twice this week for the first time in over a year. The pollen was so bad it was not really a pleasant experience. We think we will go back to take out until pollen season is over --whenever that may be.

This is the first I've heard of fully vaccinated individuals dying from COVID. Up until now all I have heard is yes, a very small percent of fully vaccinated do contract COVID, but the vaccines protect from severe disease and death.

Granted, only a teeny tiny percent of fully vaccinated individuals died of COVID. So, I still plan to resume outdoor dining and will be less fearful of going into stores (masked).

However, it gives me pause enough to think twice about returning to my indoor group exercise class until we see more data. 🤔

Not ready to fly in a jam packed tube. Vaccinated or not.

Perhaps fly on a Wednesday as that tends to be the slowest day (traditionally) and COVID has made it even slower. We came back from ATL yesterday and the plane wasn't 1/2 full. The ATL airport was pretty dead and most of the restaurants were closed.

So 99.99% of the vaccinated people did not contract COVID. Good to know. Now I can go back to worrying about wild hyena attacks.

Personally, I am worried about the performance of Venezuelan Beaver Cheese futures on my retirement account. :)

I know of one person who got Covid after his first shot but about a week before the 2nd shot. He attended a mostly outdoor party where everybody swore they had at least the 1st shot. They let their guard down based upon that. But, one person did not. Thankfully, this acquaintance continues to be well enough to work from home and care for himself. I assume (yes, a dangerous activity) he can thank the first shot of the vaccine for this. He will wait for a few months and then see if the second shot is recommended for him.

IMHO, knowing what we know about how immunity builds over weeks and probably months, I think he was foolish to go to the party even though it was 'mostly outdoors'. Two weeks after his 2nd shot makes more sense to me.

I continue to operate at Yellow Alert, shields and phasers at 80%, and sensors tuned to any oddball readings that indicate a cloaked Variant ship might try a sneak attack.

Would you go?

I've been invited to a family get-together 11 days after my 2nd shot. All the adults there will have had at least one shot; there may be some unvaccinated children. I don't know all the details but if the weather is good, this will probably be an outdoor thing, but if the weather is bad it would move inside. Of course masks will be off to allow for eating.

Just wondering what all of you think about going? I will be close to full immunity but not quite there. I said yes but have had second thoughts; then had second thoughts about my second thoughts, etc etc.

All the adults there will have had at least one shot; there may be some unvaccinated children.
I would not go to an indoor gathering with people who are not fully vaccinated (at least 2 weeks post their 2nd dose or J&J dose). As for outdoors, I would wear a mask and socially distance. When eating, I'd make sure I was distanced from other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom