Post Vaccination Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't tell anyone if you've been vaccinated?

People are posting that they've been vaccinated in forums like this and all over social media.

Must be millions of people citing when they got their first or second shot, the symptoms, etc.

Yep, I have zero problem telling anyone I have been vaccinated. How did this even become an issue. ..

Yep, I have zero problem telling anyone I have been vaccinated. How did this even become an issue. ..
Because some people think they're special.

We have started eating in restaurants and are leaving soon for a four month RV trip. We isolated except for walking and biking outside for over a year, even doing grocery pick up instead of entering a store.
Three weeks after our last vaccine we did haircuts, dentist and MD visits in person.
We are approaching a point where those that want to be vaccinated will be able to. I’m not staying home to accommodate vaccine deniers. When we see our grandkids it will be largely outside or across a room. Any close contact will be brief. But I have no problem playing board games across a table, or cooking with them in a kitchen, for instance. We are well practiced in staying 6 feet from people. The rest of our family is vaccinated. I can’t wait.

Because some people think they're special.

Really?

I would have a good long look in the mirror. Virtue Signaling is very unattractive. It does not make you a good person or a good administrator.

I have taken the vaccine and have stated such. My statements regarding HIPPA remain accurate whether you like it or not. An entity, business , PT office, provider of any kind can not divulge someone else’s medical information. Whether you think they should or not.

You can ask an individual anything you like but maybe just maybe it’s really none of your business.

Really?

I would have a good long look in the mirror. Virtue Signaling is very unattractive. It does not make you a good person or a good administrator.

I have taken the vaccine and have stated such. My statements regarding HIPPA remain accurate whether you like it or not. An entity, business , PT office, provider of any kind can not divulge someone else’s medical information. Whether you think they should or not.

You can ask an individual anything you like but maybe just maybe it’s really none of your business.
Are you actually reading these posts.find me one single post where anyone says that medical professionals should reveal their patients vaccination status. ...good grief

Really?

It is my business if I am hiring someone to come into my house to assist my immune compromised husband. If a potential employee refuses to answer my question about whether they are vaccinated or tells me they are not vaccinated then I am definitely not going to hire them. I will pay extra to hire someone who is vaccinated. I have my rights too and my main concern is protecting my DH

Really?

I don't believe there is anything in that post to indicate it is directed to you. In fact, it was intended to speak to vaccine refusers who don't want anyone to know about it. You made it clear early that you were getting vaccinated. So maybe you can cool your jets. As Ivinsfan notes, absolutely no one here is arguing that those covered by HIPPA should violate it.

And, as to your final point - A person may choose to do as they will with respect to vaccination, but if they present a danger to the people around them because they refuse vaccination, then it does become the business of others. And a refusal to answer probably will be taken as a negative by anyone who asks. At least, that is my view. I suspect many others agree.

In any event, you are not going to change your mind, and I will not change mine, so it is fruitless for us to argue about it.

Last edited:
If I accept that I'm basically immune, resulting from the vaccine, so I shouldn't care what anyone else does, that's not very smart of me.

Because if 40-50% of the population continues to provide "host" to the virus, allowing it to continue to thrive, it will continue to mutate, potentially decreasing my vaccine safety. And of course the point of herd immunity is so that those who cannot vaccinate for health reasons, including those on immuno suppressive therapies, children, cancer patients, etc. But we all know that here right.

More immediately worrisome, is that rates will remain high, restrictions will remain in place, and life really can't go back to normal. Indoor concerts and plays, major sporting events, large social gatherings, all that stuff, remains limited and will until we get our act together as a society.

Last edited:
Went to my local mall yesterday and it was very busy. Usually it is dead, seems everyone wants to see people. Everyone had a face covering (still required in my area). Very surprised.

If I accept that I'm basically immune, resulting from the vaccine, so I shouldn't care what anyone else does, that's not very smart of me.

Because if 40-50% of the population continues to provide "host" to the virus, allowing it to continue to thrive, it will continue to mutate, potentially decreasing my vaccine safety. And of course the point of herd immunity is so that those who cannot vaccinate for health reasons, including those on immuno suppressive therapies, children, cancer patients, etc. But we all know that here right.

More immediately worrisome, is that rates will remain high, restrictions will remain in place, and life really can't go back to normal. Indoor concerts and plays, major sporting events, large social gatherings, all that stuff, remains limited and will until we get our act together as a society.

Based in the fact that vaccinations numbers in the US seem to suddenly be falling off a cliff, I suspect that a lot people acting like they planned to get vaccinated were simple "acting". This doesn't bode well for future infection numbers.

If we publicly shame or require masks, why not vaccines ? Why should a vaccinated person feel obliged to wear a mask and respect other's rights to public spaces while they are being intentionally unvaccinated ? I'm not trying to support an opinion I hold, just asking genuine questions that I think a lot will ask going forward. I think in the next couple months there will be a lot more pushback against official recommendations. Not advocating, just observing.

I think the difference is that some people cannot get a vaccine (eg, those under 16 or those with certain contraindicating health issues) but virtually everyone can wear a mask.

Because if 40-50% of the population continues to provide "host" to the virus, allowing it to continue to thrive, it will continue to mutate, potentially decreasing my vaccine safety.

Thankfully, the mRNA vaccines can be adapted very quickly and easily, although that obviously still leaves out folks who want to but can't get vaccinated.

Have you seen stats on vaccinated plus infected and recovered? Presumably, that sum is the number for herd immunity. Also, what is the projected number of under 16s who will be vaccinated when approved?

Based in the fact that vaccinations numbers in the US seem to suddenly be falling off a cliff, I suspect that a lot people acting like they planned to get vaccinated were simple "acting". This doesn't bode well for future infection numbers.

No reason to give up yet, or get too discouraged.

There are lots of tools available to encourage more to get vaccinated, and the process does take time.

Thankfully, the mRNA vaccines can be adapted very quickly and easily, although that obviously still leaves out folks who want to but can't get vaccinated.

Have you seen stats on vaccinated plus infected and recovered? Presumably, that sum is the number for herd immunity. Also, what is the projected number of under 16s who will be vaccinated when approved?
No one knows the overlap between infected and vaccinated and folks infected are encouraged to get vaccinated because it gives them better immunity.

I have never seen a number or model attempting to figure out any overlap.

No one knows the overlap between infected and vaccinated and folks infected are encouraged to get vaccinated because it gives them better immunity.

So then the total protected number is currently somewhere between the number vaccinated and that plus number infected+recovered. Coming soon, that plus the number of under 16s that will get vaccinated once emergency approval has been granted. The last I saw for that was a realistic chance of that having happened by school starting in fall. I think there's a solid chance of being 70-80%+ in total by fall.

So then the total protected number is currently somewhere between the number vaccinated and that plus number infected+recovered. Coming soon, that plus the number of under 16s that will get vaccinated once emergency approval has been granted. The last I saw for that was a realistic chance of that having happened by school starting in fall. I think there's a solid chance of being 70-80%+ in total by fall.

I wish I could agree but in our state we seem to have hit maximum velocity, there are appointments everywhere going begging.

Yes I personally know several people that had Covid and got vaccinated I guess they were smart enough to realize they didn't another go round with Covid.

Yes, you can’t simply add them.

And then there are the huge number of people that didn’t even know they were infected, so you can’t project and add them either.

Most experts/officials don’t even try.

It would be absolutely awesome to hit that 70-80% number by fall. But what I read indicates that while 12-15 might be eligible for vaccines soon, the under 12 might not be until the fall.

Still getting 12-15 vaccinated over the summer would be great for school and school-related activities like sports.

If we assume that the previously infected are randomly scattered among those that got vaccinated, then the vaccinated percentage reported must be discounted by the people who were already immune due to infection. Thus, the formula for total percentage immune is as follows:

T = total percentage immune (due to either prior infection or vaccination)
P = percentage immune due to prior infection
V = percentage vaccinated

T = P + (V x (1 - P))

You just need to know the percent vaccinated and make an assumption about the percent previously infected.

The NYT reports today that the total number of reported cases in the US is 32.5 million, or about 10% of the population. If we assume an underreporting factor of 4, due to: a) lack of tests in the early months of the pandemic; and b) asymptomatic cases, then that would indicate that 40% of the population may be immune due to prior infection.

The NYT also reports that 44% of the population has received at least one dose of vaccine.

So:

T = P + (V x (1 - P)) = 0.40 + (0.44 x (1.00 - 0.40) = .664

or approximately 66.4% of the population has immunity

If you assume the underreporting factor is 3, then it is 60.8%

You could make adjustments for vaccine efficacy and durability of immunity, but in my opinion, that is just gilding the lily at this point.

In March, Dr. Fauci, in testimony before Congress, said that you need total immunity to be between 70-85% to achieve herd immunity to COVID. https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covi...s-child-vaccinations-needed-for-herd-immunity So, we can potentially meet that goal in the next few months, especially if we can vaccinate children.

Last edited:
I just put myself on pre-sale waiting list for concert by rock group Genesis, to be held at Madison Square Garden in NYC this November. I wouldn't go NOW, but if I can snag tickets that will give me a few months to decide. I have no qualms about being able to re-sell them if I decide not to go.

Good points. But I'm not planning on being "very smart", hehehe! I'm considering myself immune and I'm not going to care (very much) about what everyone else does. Live is too short for fretting over what wide swaths of people are choosing to do or not do.

I agree on all points: Those that don't get vaccinated will provide a reservoir for mutation, but there's nothing I can do about it, so I'm not going to worry about it. Also, the large pool of non-vaccinated will probably affect distancing rules. Again, nothing I can do about it, so I'm not going to worry about it.

When statistics show that "big" percentages of people who were fully vaccinated are showing up in the hospitals, then I'll change my stance. But until then, I'll just do whatever they'll let me do.

Good points. But I'm not planning on being "very smart", hehehe! I'm considering myself immune and I'm not going to care (very much) about what everyone else does. Live is too short for fretting over what wide swaths of people are choosing to do or not do.

I agree on all points: Those that don't get vaccinated will provide a reservoir for mutation, but there's nothing I can do about it, so I'm not going to worry about it. Also, the large pool of non-vaccinated will probably affect distancing rules. Again, nothing I can do about it, so I'm not going to worry about it.

When statistics show that "big" percentages of people who were fully vaccinated are showing up in the hospitals, then I'll change my stance. But until then, I'll just do whatever they'll let me do.

I couldn’t agree more. +1

Past a certain point people will have had every opportunity to get the shot. We shouldn't cater to them with masking or distancing, they have assumed the risk and its on them if they get sick.

Past a certain point people will have had every opportunity to get the shot. We shouldn't cater to them with masking or distancing, they have assumed the risk and its on them if they get sick.
I agree. The question is where is that point. Currently, only 32% of the US population is fully vaccinated. That's a great start but it's nowhere near high enough to drop the protective measures.

COVID is still with us. We still see several cases a week at my clinic. And other parts of the world are still in the thick of it. India is seeing over 400,000 new cases per day! Here in NJ there were over 1,000 new cases yesterday.

I hate wearing a mask as much as everybody else but they're going to be with us for a while.

I agree. The question is where is that point. Currently, only 32% of the US population is fully vaccinated. That's a great start but it's nowhere near high enough to drop the protective measures.

COVID is still with us. We still see several cases a week at my clinic. And other parts of the world are still in the thick of it. India is seeing over 400,000 new cases per day! Here in NJ there were over 1,000 new cases yesterday.

I hate wearing a mask as much as everybody else but they're going to be with us for a while.

That’s why I’m confused by the talk of opening up international travel for non-essential things like tourism. Should we really have thousands of people hitting less protected places this summer and potentially bringing back variant “X” to spread through our population?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom