Post Vaccination Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping "Post Vaccination Behavior" would be, getting back to more normal.
A group of 5 handsome gents had breakfast together, (me included) two times a week up until March last year. All but one of us is fully vaccinated. I sent out an email last week to all but the non-vaccinated one saying I was ready to get a breakfast together. I got one response, "where do you want to have breakfast at?" I didn't respond hoping others would. No one did. So I guess people aren't ready to get back to normal.

Maybe because he dangled the participle, the group didn't feel inclined to respond :D

To quote the great Winston Churchill "That is something up with which I will not put."

well, we did it -- we booked our first overseas trip for late August! tip -- business class is nearly the same as premium economy. Yikes.... good thing it is changeable cause I'm definitely reluctant

We have purchased airline tickets to Amsterdam for the first week in August ....don’t know if they will be open but the tickets can be rescheduled.

I'll be fully vaccinated this Saturday (2 weeks after second Pfizer shot) and I'm planning to 1) have a takeout meal - 1st time in a year, and 2) be willing to do my shopping in-store instead of curbside. Since I'm in a highly populated area that still has higher-moderate community spread (per the CDC), and wanting to be cautious in general given we still don't have definitive treatments and clear understanding of long-covid risk and consequences, I plan to continue taking the normal precautions when around others (indoors and out) - mask wearing, distancing, keeping indoor activities short, and practicing good hygiene, until the case counts come down.

BTW, I live in a county that has 70+% of eligible adults with at least 1 shot of vaccine, and 50+% with 2 shots/1 shot of J&J; and while hospitalizations, ICU use and deaths are all down (and low) - all great news and evidence of the vaccines' effectiveness, our 7 day case counts/100,000 just 2 days ago finally declined just enough to move from substantial community spread down to moderate community spread (per the CDC). I don't understand why the case counts haven't declined more, given all the vaccinations....maybe all the "opening up/loosening up" behavioral changes have offset the vaccination benefits to spread, so far. When we reach CDC "Low" community spread, I'll feel more comfortable expanding again and getting more back to normal. Hopefully, the vaccines will help accomplish this sooner rather than later. :)

Around here, the pandemic appears to have shifted more to children, who have not yet been vaccinated. https://www.nhregister.com/news/cor...ing-shots-to-ages-12-to-15-a-big-16151062.php

Thank you, could be the reason. Not sure that type of analysis is readily available here, in my county to confirm; the County Health Dept publishes the cumulative total cases by age, but not the daily new cases by age.

The good news is that by the end of May, we'll likely see ~70% having received 2 doses or J&J, and if the 12-15 y.o/s become eligible for Pfizer, that'll add another significant and active population group that will likely add to the protected group overall.

I do believe the case counts will decline further as time goes on, and will be very happy when we see it. While sooner will be better, I'm not sure if we'll see more cases following memorial day, the potential "grand opening" of California (where I live) anticipated on June 15, and the July 4th holiday, but will follow the facts as they unfold.

Thank you, could be the reason. Not sure that type of analysis is readily available here, in my county to confirm; the County Health Dept publishes the cumulative total cases by age, but not the daily new cases by age.

The good news is that by the end of May, we'll likely see ~70% having received 2 doses or J&J, and if the 12-15 y.o/s become eligible for Pfizer, that'll add another significant and active population group that will likely add to the protected group overall.

I do believe the case counts will decline further as time goes on, and will be very happy when we see it. While sooner will be better, I'm not sure if we'll see more cases following memorial day, the potential "grand opening" of California (where I live) anticipated on June 15, and the July 4th holiday, but will follow the facts as they unfold.

We too have stagnated in declines. I think behavior has gotten ahead of vaccination rates, and plus there are kids and opt outs. The only thing the local authorities in this part of CA have cited were clusters in youth sports, and an outbreak in a high school.

I would posit it that the population in general is more sensitive to the virus in terms of checking out every sniffle or cough, and the medical people have become more adept at diagnosing it and prescribing tests.
I know it's hard to prove a negative, but I'm guessing there are fewer undiagnosed cases. They're not going to catch many truly asymptomatic cases unless that person was in an exposure situation and took a test as a matter of course.

Interesting points; although I think if both true (and I lean towards your being correct) that more test positivity would follow (higher % of tests positive). What's interesting is that in our area test positivity has been pretty consistent at a little below 2% overall for the past month or so (currently @ 1.7%). I'll be interested to see how it trends going forward.

We too have stagnated in declines. I think behavior has gotten ahead of vaccination rates, and plus there are kids and opt outs. The only thing the local authorities in this part of CA have cited were clusters in youth sports, and an outbreak in a high school.

Oiseux, if you're willing to share, what county are you idling in?

I would posit it that the population in general is more sensitive to the virus in terms of checking out every sniffle or cough, and the medical people have become more adept at diagnosing it and prescribing tests.
I know it's hard to prove a negative, but I'm guessing there are fewer undiagnosed cases. They're not going to catch many truly asymptomatic cases unless that person was in an exposure situation and took a test as a matter of course.
I think there's some truth to this. Many employers are also more vigilant and when an employee is sick, they're being sent home not to return without a negative COVID test.

Still, I'm seeing a lot of patients coming in 4, 5, 6 days into their illness or even more saying, "I figured it was my allergies until the fever started" or "I lost my sense of smell and taste and that never happens with my allergies" or "I thought it was just my asthma acting up" or "I thought it was my normal sinus infection". So there are still plenty of people ignoring clear COVID symptoms because they just figure it wouldn't happen to them, or they already had their first shot and thought they were safe (you're not).

Still, I'm seeing a lot of patients coming in 4, 5, 6 days into their illness or even more saying, "I figured it was my allergies until the fever started" or "I lost my sense of smell and taste and that never happens with my allergies" or "I thought it was just my asthma acting up" or "I thought it was my normal sinus infection". So there are still plenty of people ignoring clear COVID symptoms because they just figure it wouldn't happen to them, or they already had their first shot and thought they were safe (you're not).

Yea, that makes sense. Conversely, it IS allergy season and plenty of people probably think their allergies are Covid, too.

Yea, that makes sense. Conversely, it IS allergy season and plenty of people probably think their allergies are Covid, too.
That's the better option. I'd rather have them be cautious and come get tested than blow it off and be out spreading COVID.

Exactly. I don't know how many times I thought I might be coming down with COVID, until I started sleeping with a fairly expensive air purifier next to my bed.

I think there's some truth to this. Many employers are also more vigilant and when an employee is sick, they're being sent home not to return without a negative COVID test.

Earlier on, when there were high numbers of cases, people were advised to call a hotline and not go into emergency rooms or doctors unless they were screened and advised to go in.

Most lay people are going to be watching for coughs, persistent fevers?

Maybe some percentage are monitoring their blood oxygen?

But if you wait until you've had fever for say 2-3 days or for your blood oxygen to measure in the low 90s (and who knows how reliable these $30 monitors are), would it be too late for early treatments like monoclonal antibody cocktails?

But if you wait until you've had fever for say 2-3 days or for your blood oxygen to measure in the low 90s (and who knows how reliable these $30 monitors are), would it be too late for early treatments like monoclonal antibody cocktails?
The mAb protocol at our place requires you to be within 10 days of symptom onset, not hospitalized, and meet certain other demographic criteria.

Hmm 10 days after onset?

Doesn’t that pretty much take you to the end of the incubation period?

Good to know you have some time.

The pediatrician's office sent an email to my DD asking if they plan on having any children given the Pfizer shot if approved. She told them the 12 yr old will be as soon as it is approved. Hoping the 4 yr old and the 6 yr old will be able to get it before school starts this fall. None of the children went out to school this year and she wants them to go to school next year and be with children their own age and be able to make friends. They moved to a new state in July of 2020.

Hmm 10 days after onset?

Doesn’t that pretty much take you to the end of the incubation period?

Good to know you have some time.

Yep.

I had a patient a week or so ago who presented on day 9. I immediately called the mAb team to get her evaluated right away because I was 100% sure she’d test positive based on her story and I didn’t want her to get shut out by the 10 days elapsing and making her no longer eligible.

Yep.

I had a patient a week or so ago who presented on day 9. I immediately called the mAb team to get her evaluated right away because I was 100% sure she’d test positive based on her story and I didn’t want her to get shut out by the 10 days elapsing and making her no longer eligible.

Is mAb indicated also for partially or fully vaccinated patients as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom